Of Time And Friendship

The Thread Of Circumstance
Her under the soft spray of water distracted him at first. The clarity of her skin captured him. Yes, he had seen her before. Yes, he called her skeleton with her thin body but something has obviously changed. He felt it – he felt something stirred awake inside him that he found the need to gulp something unknown down. The paleness of her lips somehow brought his rational thinking back to the surface. Pushing away the unwanted thoughts that created a fog in his mind, he went to turn off the shower knob and knelt down on the wet floor, checking her up. Gladly, there were no signs of blood or any suicidal attempts. Concluding that the girl just fainted from the stress of the day, he gathered her up and brought her to the bed. Laying her softly down, he brushed the strands of wet hair that went to her face. He went to get a towel and started drying her up, trying his very best not to be distracted again. After drying her up, he covered her body with the blanket and went to search for something to put on her skeleton-looking body.
 
Minutes had passed since Jiyong put some clothes on her but she still hadn’t woken up. If not for the even breathing, he would have thought she’s dead already. Giving the girl another minute to wake up, he willed himself to be patient. If after a minute she’s still unconscious, then he’ll bring her to a nearby hospital. He entertained himself by watching her face and as if there’s an invisible force pulling him towards her, he leaned down and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. His lips then went to the tip of her nose. For a moment, he debated if it’s alright to kiss her on the lips but upon remembering that SHE was now his WIFE, he proceeded on claiming her pale lips.
 
Her lips parted for a gasp, making Jiyong lean away. He looked down at her and saw her eyes fluttering open again. Why, I have my own sleeping, beauty he mused. “Finally,” he voiced out loud.
 
“What happened?” she asked, frowning.
 
“You fainted in the bathroom.”
 
“Really? How-? Did you. . .? Did you see my. . . .?”
 
“Your ?” he bluntly filled in for her.
 
Dara’s cheeks gained color. “W-well. . . .”
 
“I already saw you before and eventhough I don’t really remember everything, we already had in-”
 
“Don’t!” she stopped him. “Please don’t remind me!” she added with a grimace.
 
“Why not?” he smiled playfully. When the girl turned redder, he let out a light chuckle. “Never mind. Here, drink this. It’d make you feel better.”
 
“What’s this?” she asked as she accepted a cup filled with a tea-colored fluid.
 
“Honey tea.”
 
Sandara took a sniff. A smile curved her lips unknowingly at the sweetness of it. Taking a sip, her smile grew wider as the sweetness spread from her tongue through her whole body. And before she even knew it, she already consumed the whole thing down.
 
“Hungry?” Jiyong asked.
 
Dara gave a shy nod.
 
“Okay, wait here,” he said and stood up to leave.
 
“Ji-jiyong?” she softly called.
 
“Yes?” he looked over his shoulder.
 
“T-thank you,” she said.
 
“I’m your husband, it’s my responsibility to take care of you.”
 
 
Six months passed since the unexpected twist in her life. In that span of time of living a married life, she somehow felt a little sense of freedom. Jiyong doesn’t really meddle that much in what she does. Actually, everytime they’re alone, he would always ask her opinions on things. Heck, he even encouraged her to burp or fart even if he’s around. But even if she’s now comfortable with him and vice versa, they can’t be really considered as a happy and so much in love married couple. What they have is what she calls, friends with benefits. Yes, more or less six months ago, she was so sure that she’ll never get along with him. She actually even blamed him for what happened to her. But during that period of time, she surprisingly built a friendship with him. It didn’t really take her that long to be comfortable with him. He was a nice person.
 
As for the benefits well, it started a month after she moved in with him. Jiyong was going through a tough time at that moment because of their family’s company. One night, when she stepped out of the bathroom, wrapped in her towel, a drunk Jiyong greeted her. She remembered how they both turned stiff and motionless for a few minutes. He stared at her for a long time with those deep set eyes of his that she felt mesmerized. She remembered how he walked towards her and gently pushed her against the wall, his hands leaning on either side of her head.
 
“Y-you’re drunk,” she stammered.
 
“No,” he said. “Tell me, is it wrong to feel desire for my wife?”
 
“Jiyong, you’re drunk.”
 
“Is it wrong to touch my wife like this?” he questioned, caressing her cheeks.
 
“Jiyong. . . .” she whimpered.
 
“Is it. . . wrong to kiss my wife like this?” he went on and leaned closer.
 
A blush colored her cheeks as she recalled how they ended up in each other’s arms, . After that night, wasn’t an issue to them anymore. Among other things, they treated it as a necessity. A bonus for her actually since Jiyong never fails to give her the so-called release brought upon by mating.
 
“Oooh, a new bottle of honey,” his voice broke into her recollection.
 
“Oh yeah, I just bought five new ones yesterday,” she said.
 
“Thanks,” he grinned and went to give her a quick peck on the lips. She shook her head. One of the things that she discovered about him that she can’t really get over with was his weird addiction to honey. He always adds a teaspoon of honey to every food or drink he’s having. It’s just plain weird. He even mixes a teaspoon of honey to his rice!
 
“So, how was the jog?” she asked. Every Sunday morning, he always goes out for a jog.
 
“Refreshing,” he answered, mixing a teaspoon of honey into his coffee. “You should come with me sometimes.”
 
“I’d love to,” she replied. “But I don’t want to be ambushed by the media people again just like what happened before. And besides, I’m okay with my everyday ercise.”
 
He chuckled. “Satisfied, huh?”
 
“Don’t be too conceited,” she rolled her eyes.
 
He chuckled again but turned serious after taking a sip of his honeyed-coffee. “Speaking of the media, I can’t believe the issue hasn’t died down yet. It’s been six months already.”
 
Sandara turned silent. For six months, she chose to keep shut, just letting Jiyong face the press people. For six months, she stayed mostly inside the house. She usually spends her time cleaning the house, watering the plants, learning new recipes or watching television. She even started learning how to bake.
 
“They won’t stop until I speak up,” she said. “Why? Being impatient to file for a divorce?”
 
“Nonsense,” he waved off. “But don’t you think it’s about time for you to speak up?”
 
“And what? Cause humiliation and disappointment to my family again? No way!”
 
The said husband went silent and eyed his wife with a calculating look. “I have an even to attend to this coming weekend. I want you to accompany me.”
 
“Will there be press people there?”
 
“Just a few,” he shrugged. “It’s a charity event.”
 
“I don’t think it’s-”
 
“Unless you intend me to ask someone else? That would just create another talk.”
 
“Do you really have to attend?”
 
“It’s necessary,” he said. “The company needs some good publicity and this charity ball might be of great help. Plus, there’ll be an auction of some items. The money will be donated to the charity. If I show them that I can afford an item or few, then the talks about the company’s closure might end,” he went on, silently observing her. There it goes again, the trembling at the corner of her lips.
 
“Oh,” she mumbled. “If it’s really needed, then I’ll go.”
 
“What are you afraid of?”
 
“I’m not afraid of anything,” she vehemently denied.
 
“Okay, why are you hesitant then?”
 
“I just. . . I just. . . the people there might just talk about me or ask me questions I can’t answer. I don’t want to-”
 
“I’ll be there with you,” he cut off. “You don’t have to worry about anything.”
 
“You won’t ALWAYS be there,” she pointed out. “Of course, you have to mingle around with other-”
 
“I won’t let you get out of my sight,” he interjected.
 
She sighed. “Okay, okay. I rest my case.”
 
“It’s settled then,” he smiled boyishly at her, stilling her heart for a moment. “Anyways, I’ll just go to my desk. I’ve been waiting for a message and a few reports.”
 
“It’s Sunday,” she reminded him. “You deserve some break.”
 
“I will take a LONG break once I get a few more investors in and I’m gonna take you with me,” he beamed and leaned forward for a deep smooch. “Mmm. Ah, I’ll try to finish what’s needed as early as possible.”
 
“Would it take you all day?” she asked.
 
“Probably,” he shrugged. “But don’t worry, I’ll try to join you in our room before you settle in,” he added with a wink.
 
She chuckled. “If you take too long in that home office of yours, I’ll sleep on you.”
 
“Aww, don’t be too mean,” he childishly pouted.
 
“That is so NOT cute!”
 
“Liar!” he growled and leaned in for another kiss. “I should go,” he mumbled, tilting his head to the other side to kiss her better.
 
“You should,” she responded, parting her lips wider.
 
“I should really work now,” he mumbled again but still not breaking away from the union of their lips.
 
“I agree,” she mewled, her fingers curling on his hair.
 
The house was soon filled with silence except for the soft whispers of their lips, which seemed to convey more than they could tell each other. If given the choice, they’d go on like that forever but the need for air didn’t let them. Breaking away from the kiss, Jiyong smiled and brushed the pad of his thumb on her lower lip sensually.
 
“I’ll definitely end my work early.”
 
“Don’t make me wait too long,” she joked back.
 
“I’ll try,” he returned. “So what are you planning to do for the day?”
 
“I might try some new recipes,” she shrugged. “I’ll bring you food in later at lunch.”
 
“Oh no need,” he said. “I’ll join you here.”
 
“Oh, okay. Later then.”
 
“Later.”