Of Questions And Threats

The Thread Of Circumstance

 

Sandara suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. Reaching for the other side of the bed, a frown creased her forehead when she was greeted by an empty, cold space. Pushing herself up, she glanced at the clock and saw that it was past midnight already. Looking around the room and not seeing Jiyong anywhere, she presumed he was still in his home office. Without having second thoughts, she got out of bed and went to his office. She was planning to scowl at him or even when necessary but all thoughts of doing those things faded when she saw him sleeping in his chair in quite an uncomfortable position. She walked over him and removed the file of papers on his lap. For a moment, she was undecided on whether to wake him up or just let him rest. In the end, the latter won. She knew he was having a rough time with his family’s company. He’s been working night and day these past months. He deserved some rest. And besides, they had a quickie right after they had a lunch a while ago, anyways. A smile formed her lips when she remembered how his lips tasted honey – oh so sweet and relaxing.
 
After some time of staring at him, she went to get him a blanket. She tucked it around him as gently as she can so she won’t wake him up. Unable to stop herself, she gave him a peck on the lips and whispered a soft goodnight in his left ear. Closing the light behind her, she then went back to their room. She sighed at the sight of the empty bed. It’ll be the first time that she’ll sleep ALONE after the scandal broke out.
 
Curling herself in a ball, she tried to suppress the tears, the feeling of loneliness and coldness came over her again. Ever since she moved in here, she hated being alone and doing nothing because it makes her mind think of things she should forget or shouldn’t think about. Just like now, she finally understood why she changed towards him, why being married to him wasn’t a burden to her anymore, why the thought of divorce unnerved her. Whether she likes it or not, Jiyong became her refuge. He accepted her, welcomed her in his house like she was meant to occupy it. She doesn’t know if he just pitied her or he’s just plain kind. Whatever it is, she knew she can’t always lean and depend on him. Time would come that he’ll fall in love and would want a REAL family of his own. Will she be selfless enough to let him go? Or will she be selfish enough to keep him with her?
 
She remembered before, everything about them was messed up. During the first weeks, she can’t move around. She doesn’t know how to move around him. Waking up was always an awkward moment before. She used to be torn in being polite by greeting him or be snobbish with how she ended up with him. But he always breaks the ice at breakfast. She felt a bit ashamed of herself with how he used to prepare THEIR breakfast before so she took the initiative to learn by herself. After the awkward weeks, Jiyong was on the roll of throwing jokes at her or making fun of her – calling her skeleton and bamboo all the time. She always ended up being pissed and he’d always end up laughing harder. During those times, he would always encourage her to burp in front of him or even fart in front of him so he’ll know which of them got the worst one. He would also ask her opinion on which tie he should use or what does she think with the endless disputes between America and the United Arab Emirates and stuff. And then, they just hit it off.
 
Lost in her own chaotic thoughts, she failed to hear the opening of the door followed by footsteps. But when an arm rested on her waist from behind, her eyes suddenly flew open. Turning to the side to face Jiyong, she saw him gave her and apologetic smile.
 
“Sorry, I took longer than I expected.”
 
“It’s okay,” she said. “I know you’re tired.”
 
He smiled. “Thanks for the blanket.”
 
“No problem,” she smiled back. “Now go to sleep, little working boy.”
 
“Little working boy?” he choked.
 
“Yes,” she chuckled.
 
“But-”
 
“It’s okay, Jiyong,” she cut off.
 
He sighed. “I’m really sorry. I’ll make it up with you, okay?”
 
“No worries. Don’t think about it anymore.”
 
He smiled, eyes drooping. “Goodnight skeleton girl.”
 
“Sweetdreams,” she whispered as he fell fast asleep.
 
 
 
Weekend came.
 
“Will you look at that!”
 
Sandara looked up and saw Jiyong leaning on the doorframe with gleaming eyes. “The dress fits perfectly. Thank you,” she said.
 
“Of course it does,” he chuckled. “It’s handpicked by me and I measured the statistics with my hands. It looks good on you. Oh no, you’re heartbreakingly beautiful,” he smiled.
 
“You’re such a prick!”
 
“I swear, you look stunning. The black color of the dress brought out the whiteness and pureness of your skin.”
 
“Since when did you become so poetic? That’s really far-fetched.”
 
“No, it’s not,” he argued. “And I love what you did with your hair.”
 
She smiled. If there’s one thing in her appearance she felt good about, it was her hair. “Thanks.”
 
“And your hair makes me want to kiss you.”
 
“You-”
 
But even before she could finish her sentence, she was silenced by his lips. She was too surprised that she went stiff and unresponsive for a while. But when his hand started going up and down on her , she started to relax and sway closer to his body. Not long after that, she was kissing him back.
 
“Wait, wait. You’re going to ruin my-” she pulled away but stopped when she saw smudges of lipstick in his lips and the area surrounding it.
 
“Err, you might want to check your lipstick.”
 
“You ruined it!” she half-whined and half-sighed. “Here, wipe the smudges off”, she added, handing him a tissue.
 
“Oh boy, with our without lipstick, you still taste the same.”
 
She gave him a deadly glare before redoing her lipstick. When she was done, she looked at herself in the mirror and smiled a little. “Okay, I’m done. Let’s go.”
 
They shared a compatible silence towards the hotel where the event will be held. Dara tried to calm herself down and contain the fear inside her. This would be her first official appearance in public after the scandal months ago. Also, this would be the first time she’ll make an appearance as Kwon Jiyong’s wife in an event. She’s been dreading to run into some press people and other acquaintances.
 
Jiyong noticed how the corners of her lips were trembling. He knew she was tensed, scared even. But he can’t let her hide and run away from her fears forever. “Relax,” he told her.
 
“I am relaxed,” she came up too quickly.
 
Jiyong chose to keep his mouth shut.
 
As soon as the car pulled to a stop, Sandara’s heart thumped wildly against her ribcage. But she tried her best to hide the nervousness she’s feeling. She needs to go back to that cool, calm and collected girl that her family created. She doesn’t want to cause another fiasco that would bring shame to them. Breathing in a mouthful of breath, she pulled up the show face before stepping out of the car with Jiyong assisting her. She gave him a little smile as he offered his arm to her. Holding tightly on it than she intended, she looked forward and held her chin up.
 
The moment they entered the lobby, cameras flashed at their direction at once. And before she could hide herself behind Jiyong, she was already bombarded with questions she doesn’t want to answer. Or rather, she doesn’t know HOW to answer.
 
“Sandara, we heard you’re not working for the fashion house and modeling agency of your mother anymore. Is it true? Were you fired? Booted out? What do you think of the new designer that-”
 
“- reach him. What do you think Taecyeon would say?”
 
“- yesterday. According to her, you haven’t talked nor seen any of your family for quite some time now and rumors has it that you were disowned. Is it true? Were you disowned? What about Jung Changmin? Is he-?”
 
“How are you coping up with everything that’s happening? Is it true that you’re a bit tight with money now? How-?”
 
“We haven’t seen you in any of your grandfather’s charity events, too.  Aren’t they inviting you anymore or you-?”
 
“How will you expect my wife to answer questions that are too chaotic to be heard?” Jiyong loudly said. “First of all, my wife hasn’t been fired nor booted out from her mother’s fashion house and modeling agency. I requested her to just stay in our home and give her full attention to me.”
 
“So, are you saying that there’s no truth in-?”
 
The questions started swarming in that Sandara felt dizzy and confused. She pressed her fingers deeper into Jiyong’s arm and had the urge to flee but her husband held her tight.
 
“We came here for a good cause,” Jiyong went on. “And I take it you were all invited here to feature the event and not the private lives of the guests. Why don’t we just do what we came here for peacefully, hmm? Now, if you’ll excuse us.”
 
She was more than grateful to get away from the flashes of the cameras and all those people. Gladly, the press won’t be allowed to witness the auction itself but the organizers will put the items on display with the name of the bidder who acquired for the press people. After the auction, all of the guests will proceed to the ballroom hall and to her disappointment, that’s where EVERYONE will mingle, including the media. At the moment, she was already thinking of skipping that part of the event.
 
“Jiyong!” a female voice trilled as soon as they went past the doors of the function hall. The woman threw herself to Jiyong, her arms going around his neck. As if those weren’t enough, she kissed him fully on the lips and deliberately ran her tongue along his mouth. Dara saw everything. She watched everything with her hand still clinging onto Jiyong’s arm. Her spine went stiff as she tried to keep a straight face. She looked around and was grateful they didn’t catch any unwanted attention.
 
“Yuna,” Jiyong coughed, pushing the girl away.
 
“Missed me, darling?” she sweetly asked, while tugging at the lapel of his coat.
 
“What are you doing here?”
 
“I came here to bid for a good cause, of course,” she added with a wink. “And of course, I knew you’d come so I figured that-”
 
“Yuna,” Jiyong cut off. “I want you to meet-”
 
“Oh!” Yuna cut him off too. Her eyes then turned to Dara and gave her whole body an appraising look. “I take it you already know me?”
 
“Of course,” Dara answered as casually as she can. “You’re Kim Yuna, an international model.”
 
“That’s right,” Yuna nodded, smirking. “But let me just add a few things, I’m Kim Yuna, an international model, Kwon Jiyong’s first love, true love and girlfriend,” she added, holding a hand out to her.
 
“Ex-girlfriend,” Jiyong corrected but he was ignored.
 
Dara glanced at Yuna’s hand and back to her face, refusing to accept the handshake. “Oh, you sure are a lot of things, huh? I’m Sandara Park by the way, Kwon Jiyong’s WIFE.”
 
“Not for long,” she slyly said.
 
“Oh really?” Dara asked tightly but Yuna just winked at her.
 
“Anyways,” she suddenly smiled. “I believe we are all seated at the front table? You don’t mind if I tag along, do you?”
 
Dara saw the mocking challenge in her eyes. She wanted to scream no but she waited Jiyong to decline Yuna even if she was the one being asked. When he didn’t answer, Dara pulled up a sweet smile instead eventhough the corners of her lips were trembling from irritation. “No problem.”
 
With a sweet smile, Yuna went to cling on Jiyong’s free arm. Unable to help herself, Dara squeezed Jiyong’s arm HARD, her fingers and nails digging in. She felt a little satisfaction when he flinched a little but she didn’t dare look at him. The three of them headed towards their table. Jiyong pulled out a chair for her while Yuna immediately occupied the chair beside her, making Jiyong lose a seat. Dara’s fists balled tightly as she flashed another sweet smile, getting Yuna’s message. Now, she will leave everything to Jiyong as the only vacant chair was on Yuna’s other side.
 
To Dara’s smug satisfaction, Jiyong pulled out the vacant chair and moved it to Dara’s right side, squeezing himself in. Left with no choice, Yuna moved her chair to let Dara give Jiyong space. As soon as Jiyong settled in, he took her hand and gave it a squeeze.
 
“Jiyong’s really a gentleman, isn’t he?” Yuna whispered to her. “He obviously wanted to sit beside me but since you’re his wife, he had to put on a show that he prefers to be with you.”
 
Dara gave a light chuckle. “Is that so?”
 
“It’s quite obvious, isn’t it?”
 
“If he so wanted to be seated beside you, he should have moved the chair in between us so he could put on a show like you said of being beside me all the while, being with you, too.”
 
Yuna fell silent for a moment but then a smirk curved her lips. “Well, it pretty much shows that you don’t know him that much as I do. Say, how long have you been married? How long have you known him? Or should I ask, do you even know who Kwon Jiyong is? Do you know his favorite color? His favorite sports? Or. . . do you even know what’s his favorite position in ? He’s a mindblower in bed, isn’t he? I should know.”
 
For a swift moment, she expected Jiyong to come to her rescue. He told her he won’t leave her, that he’ll be THERE but when she discreetly and inconspicuously glanced at him, she saw that he was talking to the man beside him, a businessman probably.
 
“Of course I know him,” Dara then said. “He’s my husband after all. And in case you haven’t gotten the chance to hear the official statement made by my family, I’d be-”
 
“Oh, I heard it alright,” she waved off. “And we both know that the story your family released was a lie.”
 
Dara’s inside went wild but she kept on a cool face. Hearing that Yuna knew about that was totally nerve-wracking but she knew she have to deny what the other girl knew. “What are you talking about?” she chuckled. “You must have heard wrongly.”
 
“Oh, I’m pretty sure about it,” Yuna confidently said. “My source is a RELIABLE one and I have my own evidences.”
 
“Whoever your source is, I’m sure he or she is lying”, Dara waved off.
 
“Are you saying that Jiyong is a liar?”
 
 
-----
*no comment replies for now guys.. I'M SO SORRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!