Of Fears And Doubts

The Thread Of Circumstance
It doesn’t have to take a genius to understand what Yuna meant. Still, Dara chose to remain oblivious as she gave another light chuckle. “I’m sorry but I find that hard to believe. MY HUSBAND would never make such stories.”
 
“You don’t believe me.”
 
“Honestly?” she queried. “No, I don’t believe you. You see, I trust MY HUSBAND so whatever it is you’re planning, just think it over because you’re doing a pretty bad job in executing it. And if you don’t mind, I need to go to the ladies’ room.”
 
She quickly stood up and rushed to the ladies’ room. She silently let out a sigh of gratefulness when she found the room empty. She tried to release the tension inside her through redoing her makeup. It was hard for her to suppress the tears out of humiliation and anger but she was able to hold it in. She had years and years of experience in trying to stop her tears from falling down everytime her mother sneers at her in front of all the employees. Just as she closed her purse, the door opened and Yuna came in. Dara instantly stiffened as the other girl closed the door behind her.
 
“Did Jiyong tell you how we broke up?”
 
That hit a spot but Dara kept calm. “You obviously haven’t moved on yet,” she returned. “What happened in the past should be left behind there.”
 
“He didn’t tell you,” she smiled. “Well, I’ll be more than glad to recount it to you. You see, Jiyong and I were the happiest couple but I got blinded by the glitz and glamour held in front of me that all I could ever think of was my career. I kind of neglected him but he stayed beside me. In the end, I broke up with him since my. . . agency required it. He was DEVASTATED. He didn’t stop winning me back but I told him something that made him stop from pursuing me anymore. That’s when he started wandering around. I was happy at first but after a while, I started missing him. I realized that he was more important than anything else so I contacted him again. He was angry, mocking even. After a few days, I just heard he’s married. I admit I almost gave up, thinking that he doesn’t want me anymore but one night, he called me and told me that he was just trying to extract revenge so he went through with your marriage. He wanted me to suffer since he knew it’ll be on the news.”
 
“If that’s true, then he should have filed for a divorce already,” Dara hissed.
 
Yuna laughed. “You really don’t know him, do you? Don’t play a fool. Six months with him should have taught you of how easily moved he is. He pities people too easily! Like I told you, he is a gentleman, he doesn’t want to leave a helpless and pitiful girl alone the malicious limelight.  What do you think would happen to you when he suddenly drops you off with all these scandals? And of course, that’s aside from the fact that the Kwons owe your family a big amount of money.”
 
Dara was left speechless. How on earth did Yuna know all of this?
 
“Jiyong tells me everything,” she went on, as if reading Dara’s train of thoughts. “He asked me to at least give him year and take pity on you because your family’s been. . . a bit cold and harsh towards you.”
 
Dara’s whole being was shaken out but she kept a calm surface. Rolling her eyes, she gave a snort. “Don’t you think you’re more pitiful than me?” she sneered. “I mean, let’s be real here. WE BOTH KNOW your career’s going off the hill lately. I may have not been much on some events lately but I’m not outdated. Admit it, you lost your spark in the international market that’s why you’re back here. You’re so desperate to push your worth up again that you even went to inventing stories about me and my husband. Well, I’m not buying any of it!”
 
“I can’t believe you’re being stubborn about this,” Yuna breathed out. “It’s your choice. Let’s see who’ll end up crying her heart out when this is all over,” she added with a shrug. “Think about it, Dara. Why do you think Jiyong didn’t even protest when I threw myself at him or kissed him? Why do you think he didn’t even budge when I clung to his arm? Why do you think he went through the marriage if there’s nothing in it for him? Open your eyes, dear. Open them wide and you might see the truth that’s been in front of you all this time. Everything’s for a show so I suggest you guard your heart pretty strictly, it might end up in pieces if you don’t. And if you still don’t believe me, let me ask you this. Has he ever said that he loves you?”
 
With one last look at her, Yuna exited, leaving a much disheveled Sandara Park behind. She could only lean her hand on the wall, her thoughts in chaos. As much as she tried to compose herself, she can’t. She felt weak, betrayed, alone, insulted, humiliated and many more. She got it all wrong. She thought Jiyong and her were friends. Friends aren’t supposed to keep secrets from each other. But why was  she making a big deal out of this? She knew right from the very beginning that they’ll eventually part ways. She thought Jiyong had a different view about her but he was much the same as everyone else. He, along with her family and probably everyone else felt nothing but PITY and DISAPPOINTMENT towards her. She’s not good enough to any of them; she’s not the type of person to be boasted and to be introduced to anyone; she’s not the type of woman to be proud of. Who would be proud of her anyways? What has she achieved so far? What has she proven so far? Nothing.
 
Nothing.
 
“Dara?” Jiyong’s voice came from outside followed by a knock. “Are you alright? What’s taking you so long?”
 
Her fists balled, her spine stiff and her lips went into a thin firm line. With a jut of her chin, she held herself up and composed herself before walking to the door and stepping out. She was greeted by Jiyong’s worried look but now she knew it’s just for a show.
 
“Don’t touch me!” she snapped as Jiyong was about to caress her face.
 
“What’s wrong?” he asked.
 
“What’s wrong?! You’re seriously asking me what’s wrong?!”
 
Jiyong frowned. “What’s going on with you?”
 
“Why did you bring me here, huh? Why did you bring me here when you already have YOUR KIM YUNA?”
 
“Dara, what are you talking about?” he gritted and looked around, trying to see if anyone’s near to hear their conversation.
 
“Don’t worry, I’m not going to make a scene,” she angrily said and stormed back to their table.
 
The host was on the process of entertaining the guests when Jiyong arrived beside her. He took one of her hand from her lap and intertwined it with his. She was about to pull her hand back but Jiyong immediately brought their joined hands on the table. She then knew that the ‘show’ has begun. She knew she had to keep up with his pretense so she stopped any attempts of pulling her hand back. To her surprise, he called the attention of the other businessmen in the table and officially introduced her as his wife. They all greeted her pleasantly which she returned equally. She was glad that the other women in the table didn’t pay much attention to her or gossip about her. She didn’t even see any judgment or hostility in their eyes, making her relax a bit.
 
She suddenly froze when she felt Jiyong’s soft and warm lips at the back of her hand without breaking his hold on it. Without wanting to, her eyes went to his and she found out he was looking back at her. Something inside her roared but she didn’t know where it came from much more understand what it was for. She wanted to pull her gaze away from him but she can’t. She felt. . . hypnotized.
 
But a storm was meant to break the calmness of everything. Just as she was drawn into that look in his eyes, something inside her started bubbling up to the surface, causing moistness at the corner of her eyes. In that instant, she came back to her senses and quickly looked away, not wanting him to see whatever it is that has surface to her eyes. By looking away from him, she unfortunately met Yuna’s eyes. The girl gave her a smirk before looking down at the intertwined hands on the table and back at her face. Dara caught the silent message in Yuna’s eyes. The other girl was simply saying, “it’s all for a show.”
 
Then, the auction started. Dara, at her very best, tried to put all of her attention to the bidding. So far, no item has caught her interest yet. And then, her heart went very still as the next item was presented to them. A smile curved her lips as her eyes were drawn to the painting. It was a modern version of mother and child.
 
“. . . . by the most celebrated Korean painter, Goo Hye Sun!” the host’s voice entered her ears. “Bidding starts at 85,000 at the-”
 
“90!” Dara raised her hand, her voice trembling slightly.
 
“We’ve got a 90 here,” the host clapped. “Anyone for 95?”
 
“95!” Yuna came.
 
Other bidders joined in. Until everyone was too amused in watching Sandara and Yuna bid each other off for the painting.
 
“300,000!” Yuna called.
 
“350,” Dara bid.
 
“400,000!” Yuna said.
 
“Looks like our ladies are in for a fight,” the host joked. “Miss Dara?”
 
“430!” she croaked.
 
“500 thousand,” Yuna confidently ushered.
 
Dara’s shoulders fell in defeat. When the host asked her if she would still be going higher, she shook her head.
 
“Sandara Park has declined. Anyone else up for bid? Going once, going twice, going-!”
 
“One million,” a lazy drawl came beside Dara. It almost sounded bored and amused at the same time.
 
“One million!” the host said in awe while the others started clapping their hands. “Kwon Jiyong bid one million. Still up to raise it up, Miss Kim?”
 
“No, thank you,” Yuna laughed lightly.
 
“Any others? Going once. . . . going twice. . . . . going thrice. . . . The painting has just been sold to Mr. Kwon Jiyong! Miss Dara has won in the end!” he jested. “Okay, on to the next item.”
 
“I didn’t know you wanted the painting for yourself,” Dara lightly said to Jiyong.
 
“It’s not for me,” he answered, squeezing her hand. “It’s for someone very special to me.”
 
Dara’s free hand balled into a tight fist. No need for him to elaborate who that is, she perfectly knew who it was. Of course, since he won the bidding, everyone would think it’s for HER, since she’s his wife but like Yuna said, it’s just for a show. For sure, he’ll send the painting to Yuna. He’ll give it to someone very special, he said. Obviously, it’s not her. It’s for Yuna. If it was her, he should have just told her so. She doesn’t know if she can endure the pain and humiliation for the remainder of the night but she was a tiny bit grateful that he was decent enough not to ignore or drop her off in front of everyone. If her family finds out about the Yuna-Jiyong thing, they’ll be once again disappointed. She knew they’d somehow blame everything to her. Why can’t she do anything remarkable? She can’t even fulfill a simple role of Jiyong’s wife. If she was good enough, he won’t search comfort and happiness from someone else’s arms.
 
She suddenly shook her head. Even if she was a good wife, they’d still file for a divorce, anyways. That’s what both families agreed upon. As soon as the talks die down, she’ll be free. Jiyong will be free. Right from the start, their union wasn’t meant to last. I didn’t even want this marriage in the first plac,e she thought. I never saw myself married to someone else but Taecyeon.
 
Feeling rebellious, she pulled her hand from Jiyong’s grasp and pretended to fiddle through her purse. After some time, she then took the glass of champagne and took a sip from it. She put the glass back down but didn’t let go of the body. But Jiyong wasn’t going to let her be. He once again took her hand and intertwined it with his. She tried pulling her hand back but he only tightened his hold to it.
 
“Are you tired?” he asked.
 
She looked up at him, glared actually. “Yes.”
 
“We’ll go home after this,” he said.
 
“Who’s going home?” Yuna suddenly joined in. “You’re not going home already, are you? It’s still early!”
 
“I’m tired,” Dara said as calmly as she can. “I really want to take a rest but Jiyong can stay if he wants to. I don’t have the right to order him around and forbid him in what he wants to do. He’s old enough to know what he’s doing.”
 
“You’ll be staying Jiyong, right?” Yuna asked almost childishly. “We can mingle around in the ballroom hall later and have some chat with potential investors to the company.”
 
“Yeah,” Dara agreed. “You should stay behind Jiyong. You might be able to convince some potential investors for your family’s company.”
 
“Dara, why-”
 
“Excuse me but I’m really having a bad headache,” she cut off. “I should go. Enjoy the rest of the evening,” she finished and stood up as quietly as she can.
 
 
-------
***Sorry for the typo and grammar error guys!!!
 
Oh, check this new banner for TBP by wowthankyouimissyou
(10-12) The Black Phoenix by wowthankyouimissyou