Of Realization And Decision

The Thread Of Circumstance
 
Dara was surprised with herself. Not a single tear escaped her eyes. She expected that by now, she already cried a river. But no, that didn’t happen. Surprisingly and weirdly, her eyes were dry. Are you really surprised? a part of her mocked. No, she didn’t want to answer that question YET.
 
 
 
Deep inside, everything was in chaos. She wasn’t sure which should she think first. As if answering her, her mind conjured up an image of Jiyong crying. Her heart squeezed tightly. She admits she had her doubts that she even threw the wedding ring to the water. After doubt, fear came to her. She was so confused that there’s one event where she’s lying on bed, drifting from her unconscious and subconscious mind that she heard someone talking about Lady Eun Jo. She assumed the person was talking on the phone since she didn’t hear any other voices. She dismissed that event as a dream. But now that she knew everything, she finally accepted why she didn’t cry, why she accepted Taecyeon’s story about Jiyong aside from her doubts and fears. The whole time she was in hiding, she was subconsciously preparing herself for this. Hearing that person talking bad things about Eun Jo wasn’t a dream. She did hear it that’s why she didn’t shed a tear tonight, that’s why she avoided Jiyong. A part of her was rebelling on the fact that Eun Jo attempted to kill her that’s why she can’t bring herself to cry while a different part of her is denying that a family of hers wanted her dead and so, in her futile attempt to protect her family, she just accepted Taecyeon’s lies. She’s not angry at him, though. She was actually grateful he lied to her because somehow, it comforted her. If right from the start he told her the truth, she wouldn’t have believed him, she would have rebelled, she would have hated him, and she would have regarded his words as lies.
 
But then, hearing the truth from Yumi, she finally understood why everyone treated her the way they did, most especially her mother – no, her sister. She wasn’t really a part of the family. She was an outsider. Her emotions were so whirled up that even she was confused by them. There’s still a part of her that wanted to rebel and demand why Eun Jo wanted to kill her when she could have just asked her to not accept the inheritance. She also wanted to question her grandfather who turned out to be her father why he made that decision. After all the years they’ve known each other, never did he stepped up and defended her then out of nowhere, he’s giving her everything he worked for? Isn’t that a bit. . . unbelievable and unfair? But the stronger part of her felt responsible for everything. She knew, even if she didn’t literally see it that her grandmother or rather, her stepmother suffered because of her. Lady Eun Jo must have suffered too and the way she treated her must be her way of releasing all her pent up pain. Her father has to leave everything to Lady Eun Jo, not her. Her half-sister deserved it more than she does.
 
“Wait here,” she told the taxi driver as the vehicle stopped in front of the gates of the Parks’ residence. “I’ll get someone to pay you off,” she added before climbing down. She looked up at the towering gates. Bracing herself for the inevitable confrontation, she took a step forward.
 
- - -
 
Dara already expected the shocked faces of everyone the moment she made her presence known. She wasn’t sure where the other members of the family were ‘cause only Lady Eun Jo came to see what’s going on.
 
“You’re alive!” she breathlessly said.
 
“Yes,” Dara defiantly said. For some reasons, she felt brave, hurt. . . and angry. She can’t help but notice the tone of disappointment in Lady Eun Jo’s voice too.
 
“How did you survive?”
 
“Does that matter?” Sandara Park demanded. “Oh, of course it does since you planned the explosion!”
 
Silence.
 
“How dare you accuse me?!”
 
“I know everything!”
 
Lady Eun Jo laughed. “I don’t have any idea what you’re saying!”
 
“Why?” she asked. “You could have just asked me! I’ll willingly transfer everything on your name. You’re my sister after all!”
 
Eun Jo’s eyes tightened. “What did you just call me?”
 
“I told you, I know everything already.”
 
A deafening silence soon followed.
 
“Now you know why I treated you the way I did. You’re a shame! You’re the family’s dirty little secret! Mom was hurt, so desperately hurt that her pain scarred me. Time and time, I kept on reminding Dad how the mere sight of you hurts Mom that’s why he was so distant from you even if I can see how he. . . cares for you. But guilt is something that can devour everything. Eventhough Dad didn’t show it, I know he’s guilty for what happened that’s why he just let me taunt you, mock you, hurt you, insult you, degrade you. . . in that way, I could avenge Mom and myself from your of a mother! When I heard Dad talking to the family’s lawyer about his last will and testament, I quickly went to Mom and talked to her. Do you want to know what she said? She told me that she actually encouraged Dad to revise his last will and testament. MY OWN MOTHER TOLD MY FATHER TO LEAVE EVERYTHING TO YOU! Can you believe that?”
 
Dara winced at the seething coldness in her sister’s voice. “I didn’t ask her to do that. . .”
 
“You didn’t?” Eun Jo asked. “With the way you acted so pitiful and worthless, did you really think it didn’t get through her? She shouldn’t have. . . you don’t deserve anything from us! You don’t even deserve to live! How could the daughter of a maid live while my own child died? Where is the justice in that?”
 
There was a manic sort of desperation in her tone that sent shivers down to Dara’s spine. Her anger was now replaced by guilt, self pity and shame. Maybe she was born to hero-worship the Parks or just Lady Eun Jo because she can’t bring herself on hating her. No, it wasn’t her sister’s fault. Circumstances just made her like that. “I-I’m sorry.”
 
“Sorry?” her sister snorted. “Don’t ask me for something I can never give you. You should have died in that explosion!”
 
“EUN JO!” a loud roaring voice reverberated through the hall. Dara looked up the same time Eun Jo whirled around. There, at the top of the stairs was the old lady whom Dara grew up calling grandmother. It was odd for her to refer the old lady as her stepmother. The old lady looked red and her eyes seemed threatening to pop out.
 
“Mom!”
 
“How dare you?” she demanded, “For years, I tolerated your coldness to others. But this? I didn’t raise you to be a murderer!”
 
“You’re siding with her?” Eun Jo cried, pointing at Dara.
 
“I’m siding with what is right,” the old lady said. “I’ve been blind for too long, I’ve had enough!”
 
“Mom, she ruined your life, my life, OUR LIVES!”
 
“It wasn’t her fault your father had an affair.”
 
“But she looked so much like her mother!”
 
“Enough, Eun Jo,” the old lady firmly said.
 
“Dara,” a new voice came. Everybody’s attention then went to Jiyong and Taecyeon who just arrived. Jiyong quickly went to his wife and pulled her in his arms. Then, they started hearing loud sirens from afar.
 
Dara gently pulled away from Jiyong and gazed up at him with wide eyes. “What did you do?” she fearfully asked.
 
“I didn’t-”
 
“I called the police,” the old lady calmly but loudly said.
 
“Mom. . . .!” Eun Jo gasped. “Why. . .?”
 
“I’m so tired of all this façade to preserve the family’s name. We can’t hide ourselves from everyone forever.”
 
“I can’t believe this. . .!” Eun Jo exclaimed, shaking her head. Her eyes then went to Dara. “This is your fault!” she declared so fiercely. She started stepping forward, planning to slap her but someone blocked her way.
 
“I don’t think so,” Taecyeon said.
 
Lady Eun Jo growled in frustration as she harshly stepped back. Her eyes darted to the double doors as the loud sirens were getting nearer and nearer. Without warning, she sprinted towards the door like her was on fire.
 
“Let’s go after her!” Jiyong shouted to Taecyeon.
 
“NO!” Dara protested, clutching Jiyong’s arm tightly. “Stay with me,” she pleaded.
 
Jiyong hesitated but when he saw that Taecyeon went after Eun Jo, he gave Dara a tiny nod. If not for the desperate fear in her eyes, he wouldn’t have stayed.
 
“You two,” the old lady called. “I want to talk to you.”
 
- - -
 
Yuna was already called for questioning while Eun Jo was currently at the operating room. The chase didn’t go too well on her end. Taecyeon got some injuries too but the doctor said he’ll leave. Mr. Park and Eun Jo’s husband, Mr. Kang arrived at the hospital right after the airplane they were boarding landed. Jiyong has recounted the events to the newly arrived men but he didn’t bother lingering anywhere near them. His wife needs him and so shall he be beside her. She’s been trembling eversince her sister was sent to the operating room. The old lady on the other hand was calmer now compared to her shaken state hours ago.
 
When he pulled Dara in his arms, she finally broke down. She cried and cried and cried. He kept his mouth shut. What else is there left to say? Eun Jo’s life wasn’t in their hands. They could only wait. And yes, maybe even pray for her. Eventhough he wanted her to pay for what she has done, it was too cruel to pray for death. Besides, he could just imagine what it’ll do to Dara if that happens.
 
He sighed. Up until now, Dara remained consistent when it comes to her family. The girl was a classic martyr. No matter how they did her wrong, here she was, crying and praying for the safety of her sister. He wondered if he’ll ever learn to accept that trait of her. Should he continue changing her views about her family or should he just accept that she’ll always be the Parks’ stupid puppet? Yes, Dara’s loves and concern for her family most especially to Eun Jo was beyond stupidity already. Shouldn’t she hate her sister for making her life miserable and for wanting to kill her?
 
He closed his eyes. Just then, he remembered Yuna. His jaws tightened at the thought of her. Oh, he’ll make sure she’ll pay for everything she did.
 
- - -
 
“Is there any other way?” Eun Jo’s husband asked.
 
As much as Jiyong felt guilty for feeling like he does, he can’t help but feel a bit good about the news the surgeon brought out. Lady Eun Jo’s life isn’t compromised anymore. Although the surgical team was able to save Eun Jo, the team wasn’t able to do anything to the damage to her eyes. Yes, she’ll be blind.
 
As the doctor discussed the risks involved in transplant to restore Eun Jo’s sight, Jiyong didn’t bother listening. He honestly didn’t give an inch of a damn about that woman. Why should he? That woman caused too many miseries in Dara’s life. Even a room of sympathy is not worth it to give.
 
“I. . . I’m willing to be the donor,” Dara’s tiny voice squeaked. “She’s my sister so I think-”
 
“What are you talking about?” Jiyong snapped.
 
“Lady Eun Jo needs me,” Dara whispered. “Maybe she’ll forgive me if I do this. Maybe she’ll accept me as her sister or be proud of me if I-”
 
“Are you out of your mind?!” he hissed.
 
“B-but-”
 
“I won’t let you!” he cut off. “And as your husband, I got a say and I got all the rights to forbid you so!”
 
“You don’t understand!” Dara cried. “I-”
 
“NO,” Jiyong firmly said.
 
“Jiyong’s right, Dara,” the old lady said.
 
Dara nibbled on her lower lip but didn’t say anything anymore. She just sighed and gave everyone a tiny nod.
 
“We’ll go ahead,” Jiyong announced. “Dara needs to rest, too.”
 
“Jiyong, I-” she started protesting but upon seeing the look on her husband’s face, she stopped and firmly shut .
 
Jiyong started pulling Dara with him, she just let him. Her mind was working. She glanced up at Jiyong. She bit her lower lip down. She was confused. What if. . .?
 
She doubted Jiyong a lot of times already. But, is it really him she doubts or herself? She looked up at Jiyong again. Time and time again, he proved his faithfulness to her but the thing was, she got some trust issues.
 
Jiyong suffered too. She acknowledged that. Every person around her suffered because of her. Even Taecyeon suffered, too. It’s the main reason why she can’t hate him or get angry with him for lying. Of course the Parks suffered because of her too. Eun Jo was right about her not deserving to live. Would it be a relief to everyone if she just leave and never come back?
 
Ever?