Epilogue: Of Thread And Cicumstances

The Thread Of Circumstance
Five days later.
 
“I can’t believe this!” Dara exclaimed. “How come they haven’t found a compatible donor yet?”
 
Jiyong watched her face. She looked annoyed. Up until now, he still couldn’t believe Dara was back to her. . . well, self. He really thought she won’t be swayed from the decision she made. But she was back to herself. She prepares breakfast for the both of them. She teases him back everytime he teases her and she initiates kisses now. Sometimes he wonders if everything was just a dream. If it is, then he’d rather stay asleep forever.
 
On the other hand, they haven’t stepped off the gates of their humble dwelling. The press people were on at it again. They don’t watch news shows either. They only watch movies to buy time.
 
“Maybe they should bring her abroad,” he suggested.
 
“Grandma doesn’t want to and besides, the government won’t let her.”
 
Jiyong was about to correct her that the old lady isn’t really her grandmother but he changed his mind. They haven’t talked about anything yet, actually. She just arrived in the house and silently resumed his wifely duties. They were actually awkward at first but since he’s a natural ice breaker, they went back to normal. But in time, they have to talk.
 
He sighed. What’s happening to Eun Jo is what he calls KARMA. But he can’t tell her that.
 
“Anyways,” she said. “I’m thinking. . . since I’ve been into baking and cooking lately, do you think it’ll be a good idea if I start up a mini bakeshop or a little restaurant?”
 
He paused and stared at her. He couldn’t quite believe what he heard. Is she really making these bold moves for herself now? For her to think of starting her own little business meant SELF CONFIDENCE. Slowly, a smile curved his lips. “I think that’s a great idea,” he agreed.
 
“Really?” she asked, brightening up. “But I want to have formal lessons first so I’m thinking of enrolling myself in a culinary arts school or something tomorrow.”
 
“Do you want me to accompany you? The press people might pound on you.”
 
“Oh no,” she said. “I’ll do it on my own.”
 
He hesitated. “Are you sure?”
 
“Yes,” she grinned. “So. . . are we going to watch some DVDs today or not?”
 
“What do you want to watch?”
 
She turned thoughtful for a moment. “Action! I want to see some action movies. And oh let’s have some pizza. Quick, quick. Call for a delivery!”
 
“Why are you so energetic today?” he questioned.
 
“It’s because of the painting,” she told him.
 
Jiyong snorted. With everything that happened to them, he forgot about the painting he purchased during the auction. He only remembered it yesterday so he immediately gave it to Dara. At the memory of the painting also came the thought of Yuna. He hopes being inside the correction center would do her good. As for Lady Eun Jo, he wasn’t sure how or who among the Parks wired it but she’s on house arrest rather, on hospital arrest. He didn’t know such thing existed.
 
A while later, the pizza he ordered arrived. Dara immediately climbed to his lap as he settled himself on the sofa as the movie started rolling. He planted a gentle kiss on her shoulder as she nibbled on a slice of pizza. She let him bite on her share and smiled. Together, they watched the movie.
 
 
The next day came. A smile automatically curved his lips. He reached out beside him to pull Dara to his arms but she wasn’t there. He opened his eyes and lazily pulled himself up. “Dara?” he called out. Just then, he saw a folded note on her pillow. Déjà vu washed over him. He quickly reached out for it.
 
Jiyong,
 
Your breakfast’s ready. If they’re cold by the time you wake up, just reheat them, hehe. I just went out to go to this culinary arts school I saw online. I’ll be back in no time. I love you! And oh, err, I stopped taking pills already.
 
Dara
 
He sighed in relief. Afterwards, he smiled. He glanced at the clock. It was already ten in the morning. He stretched out lazily and went to the bathroom to take a bath. Then, he went to the kitchen and reheats the breakfast Dara prepared for him. He can’t help but smile. Just then, the loud ringing of his phone suddenly broke into his senses. Thinking it was Dara, he quickly fished it out only to find that it was his father. “Dad?”
 
“Jiyong. . .” his father’s voice came. “Where are you?”
 
“At home, eating breakfast. I just woke up. Why?”
 
“Is your television on?”
 
“No. I told you, I just woke up. Why?”
 
Silence.
 
“Dad. . . are you still there?”
 
A heavy sigh sounded from the other line. “Jiyong, it’s Dara.”
 
Jiyong froze. “What about her?”
 
“She’s. . .” his father halted. “Just open your television.”
 
He went to the living room and just did as he was told. He felt robotic at the moment. He already knew which station his father was tuned in so he took the remote and flipped it to the news channel. And there it was, SANDARA PARK CONFIRMED DEAD!
 
“. . . hit the tree as she avoided the fast approaching truck which. . .”
 
He felt like all of his strength was off him. His phone fell to the floor. As it did, a tear escaped his eye. He couldn’t feel his fingers, his hands, his feet, his legs - he couldn’t feel anything except the pain somewhere in the middle. His heart – he couldn’t even find the right words at how it was being pounded to pieces. It hurts so much that it consumed him, his body, and ALL of him. He couldn’t feel any part of his body because the pain in his heart overwhelmed everything else.
 
“Ha. . .” he breathed as he suddenly found it hard to breathe. He got confused as a choking and broken sound started invading his ears. Then, he realized it was him. He was making those sounds – sounds of agony. “Ha. . . ahh. . . .” he labored. Then, he started crying so hard his shoulders shook from its intensity.
 
“AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!” he screamed desperately. “AAAAHHHHH!!!!”
 
He started thrashing the room. As he fell down to his knees, he started pounding his balled fist in his chest in hope that the physical pain would divert his attention to the overwhelming pain he’s feeling even just for a second. But it was to no avail. Instead, the pain in his heart intensified.
 
“AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!”
 
He started pulling his hair out. “Please. . . it’s not true. . . it’s. . . let it stop. . . let the pain stop. . . .!” he begged.
 
Just as she was starting anew, this happened.
 
Just as they were starting anew, this happened.
 
 
 
 
 
The sun was high up in the sky. Jiyong walked through the well-kept grass. The wind blew hard against him but he didn’t stop, he didn’t even pause. Upon reaching his destination, he stopped. He looked down with an unreadable expression on his face he bent down and gently laid the bouquet of flowers on the ground. As he did, the ring on his finger glinted as it caught the sun’s rays. He straightened up while staring at the thing. As if automatically programmed, his other hand went to his chest where the other ring rests as it’s being held by the chain around his neck. It was the partner of the ring on his finger. The rings. . . they don’t even hold that much value if you sell them but it holds many memories for him. So even if through the days, the weeks, the months and years, he’ll never remove both rings off him. His ring will be forever on his finger while Dara’s ring will be forever rest on his chest, near his heart, just like how his love for Dara will be: eternal.
 
He finds it ironic how circumstances brought them together and brought them apart. But maybe, that’s just how it works. Yes, he preferred it that way than think about Dara planning everything on purpose. Her eyes were given to Eun Jo eventually. He doesn't want to believe what everyone's saying: that Dara just made him believe she's ready to start anew with him so he wouldn't be so hurt. No, it's not like that. Circumstances brought them together, circumstances also brought them apart.
 
He put his hands inside his pockets as his eyes traced the name he so loved murmuring. “Until we meet again,” he softly whispered. Then, with a softer tone he added, “My wife.”