Common Ground

Another Chance

It was finally Friday and Misty was spending it alone, tucked in bed with a large bucket of popcorn on her lap. She was about to turn on her T.V. when the phone rang.

“Hello?” She answered.

“I have a favor to ask you.” Chen immediately said.

“When do you ever not have a favor to ask me?” Misty responded jokingly.

“Look. Kris and I were supposed to have dinner tonight to discuss matters about the band and I am currently drowning in paperwork that I need to finish by tomorrow morning. Do you think you can-“

“No. I’m busy. Ask Lay, maybe even Tao?” Misty cut him off.

“Lay can’t make it either. It’s not you are doing anything important, the night is still so young.”

“I was in the middle of doing something when you decided to call!” Misty said defensively.

“You were about to catch up on Vampire Prosecutor, weren’t you?” Chen said. Misty felt his sly smile on the other line. Sometimes it scared her how Chen knew exactly where and what she was doing. Then again, she was never spontaneous.

“I’m not even part of your band, what would I discuss with Kris?”

“Misty, please.” Chen said his voice softening.

“Fine. Where am I meeting him?”

*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Once Misty was inside the restaurant, she felt a little underdress. She was wearing a white tank top under her black leather biker’s jacket, black pants and combat boots while everyone else were dressed in elegant attires.  The Blue’s House was a restaurant that recently opened near the college and from what she knew; it was booked up until next year. A waitress came up to her with a bewildered look but still asked her for her reservation politely. As soon as Misty mentioned that she was meeting Kris, the waitress’ eyes widened and lead her to the back of the restaurant, where there was a private room. The waitress opened the door for Misty and once she was in, the young woman scurried away.

The room was lightly dimed but she could make the outline of Kris’s body. He was seated at a small rounded table meant for two. He was wearing a white thin V neck and jeans. Misty loosened up a bit seeing that he wasn’t wearing a tux. When he noticed her by the door, he stood up went to the other side of the table and pulled out Misty’s chair. She made her way to the table and sat down; Kris pushed her in and took his seat.

“If you don’t mind I already ordered,” Kris said looking at Misty. She met his chocolate brown eyes, “Don’t worry, Chen told me you were a vegetarian.” Kris said as Misty was about to open . She lightly tapped the tip of her fingers on the table. Kris was well known throughout Berkley University, he was a transfer student from China and according to Chen he was the son of one of the richest stock company owners in China. And as far as Misty knew, he spent a lot of time by himself, like herself, only difference was he was social and had friends unlike her.

“I’m not sure if Chen told you but we’re playing at the Pink Taco this weekend. It’s actually our first gig. Do you think you can help us?”

“I don’t think I would be much of a help. I’ve never been part of a band nor have I played in a crowd of people.” Misty said as she took a sip of her water.

“And that’s exactly what we need, we need an audience perspective,” Kris paused trying to make out Misty’s expression; it was hard for him to read her. “What do you say?” Kris asked moments later. Misty sat back considering her options, she knew she could help them but what would she get out of it? Surely, Chen would agree that he would make it up to her.

“Fine.”

Kris and Misty discussed everything from which songs they should play to their outfits. Once they were almost done with their food, their conversation switched to more a personal level. Misty was extremely cautious, always leaving Kris hanging. He was smart enough not push it, even though all her answers raised even more questions he was dying to ask. Kris had always taken an interest in Misty, a lot of guys have. But they all knew from experience or in Kris’s case others experiences that she was cold-hearted. Everyone was curious how she could reject every guy that comes her way. It was always interesting to watch what some people do just to get her attention, everything from confessing in front of the class to asking her out on a date by sky writing. No one ever seemed to catch her eye.

“Do you ever feel alone? I mean, as far as I know you live alone and you don’t have family around here.” Kris leaned forward.

“Sometimes, but I’m used to being by myself.” Misty simply answered. She’s lived alone for so long she forgot what it was like to live with someone else. She wouldn’t mind a roommate but from past experiences she preferred to have her apartment to herself. Kris was so intrigued by her mysteriousness; it took almost all of his strength not to fire the questions that circled in his head. He would ask Chen but he was always blunt about Misty.

Chen had all the cheat codes a guy would need to capture Misty’s heart. Once every guy that took interest in Misty found out he was nothing to her but a friend, they pounced on him. Offering him all sorts of things for his knowledge, but he always waived them off. But some gifts and deals were too good to pass up, so Misty made a deal with Chen. She allowed him to reveal a few things that amused her; it always ended up with the guy making a complete fool out of himself. It was ruthless but when it came to rejecting the guy, Misty always kindly rejected them. Sometimes it was so settle; maybe even sweet that it didn’t feel like it was a rejection.

When they made it out to the parking, Kris walked on over to a motorcycle that was next to Misty’s car. Her eyes almost fell out of their sockets.

“You like it?” Kris said when he turned back to her, grabbing his helmet that was neatly placed on the seat.

“I’ve always wanted one. But my brother spoiled it for me when he got into an accident, he was lucky he only broke his leg.” Misty said. Her dad taught her how to ride one; it was supposed to be her graduating present but instead she got a car after the accident.

“You want to take her out for a spin?” Kris asked with a smirk on his face.

“Really?!” Misty’s face brightened. Kris nodded his head and held out the helmet he was holding. Without hesitation Misty took the helmet and got on. Kris sat behind her and lowly chuckled to himself. She started the ignition and they were off. Misty was practically speeding through the empty streets.

“Woah! Take it easy.” Kris said after the third red light that they ran. Misty chuckled loudly and sped up even more. After an hour, they decided to go back to the restaurant. By the time they reached it, the parking lot was vacant except for Misty’s shinee red Beatle. Misty parked the bike beside her car and got off. She fidgeted with the helmet strap but struggled unclipping it.

“Here.” She heard Kris say, she felt his fingers on her neck as he unclipped the helmet for her. When she heard the click she slipped it off her head and handed it to Kris, who scooted up and started the engine.

“Thanks for coming. I’ll tell the members our plans and we’ll set a date to meet,” Misty just nodded before turning around and opening her car door. Kris started to back up but stopped. “I had a great time tonight, I’m glad you didn’t kill us back there.” Kris said winking at her. Misty just smiled, waved goodbye and got in her car. Misty followed behind Kris as they both headed back to dorms.

 

AN: Hi everyone! How are you all doing? Peeww, so glad tha MAMA's are over...no more fanwars on my Tumblr! :D Any of you guys watch it?? I didn't hehehe
Anyways, I think this is by far the longest chapter. What do you guys think?? Every single subscription and comment makes me smile like an idiot. I love long comments lol :D hopefully we can get some Baekhyun action in the next chapter...hint hint. Thanks to all of you who read this fanfic, especially the silent readers! Until the next chapter my fellow Exotics! ~Btrix27