Kinda Sorta Boyfriend

Another Chance

Misty couldn't sleep that night. She tossed and turned but no matter what she did sleep couldn't find her. She replayed the conversations she had with Danni and Chen, all three of them agreed on one thing; Chen was indeed in love with Misty. But why was it so complicated? Eliminating Danni out of the equation would probably solve the problem but this wasn't a perfect world. Chen had already made up his mind and once he's made a decision, it's already a done deal. Misty wonders how she got to lucky so be successful in her career yet the universe seems to be so against her when it came to her love life.She was so close to losing consciousness when the phone rang. 

"Hello?" Misty croaked. 

"Misty? It's Nathan." The person on the other line said. 

"Hey, what's up?" Misty said yawning. 

"I hope i didn't wake you up but I have good news and kinda maybe some bad news." 

"No, it's fine. Is everything okay?" Misty asked sitting up and turning on the bedside lamp. 

"So I managed to rewrite all your handwritten drafts and I figured it would be better to store them on the computer.  So everything is in order when you come back in a few days." 

"Nathan, you've gone above and beyond as my secretary. Now what's the bad news?"

"I was told to not to tell you this but uh...Mario came by the office yesterday. He asked where you were, so he may or may not show up there." Nathan stuttered.  

"Great. But how did he find out?" Misty asked rubbing her temples feeling a headache coming. 

"I told him you we're taking a personal holiday. I mean he is yourboyfriend after all...isn't he?" 

"I don't even know anymore to be honest." 

"Misty, you'll figure this out. Whatever is going on, you'll see through it." Nathan said.

 "Thanks. Really Nate, I'll be back soon." Misty said. Once she hung up the phone she immediately stood up, went to the fridged and downed a small sample bottle of straight vodka in one gulp.  She regretted the numbness she was already feeling before she reached the bed. She had two more days of this and she was already questioning if she could make it. 

The next morning she woke up with a throbbing headache. Her alarm went off at exactly 7am, though she has been awake three hours before but she still didn't get up. By 8, there came a knockon the door, she still didn't bother to get up. Then she heard a few clicks and turn of the knob. 

"MISTY JAMIE LEE! WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU STILL DOING IN BED?!" Misty didn't even flinched when Baekhyun threw off her covers. 

"I don't care." Misty mumbled sitting up a bit and grabbing the covers by her feet and laid back down. 

"You do realize that you're the maid of honor and best man of this wedding. Not only will Danni kill you and Chen will most likely also participate." 

"I don't care; it doesn't even matter. Weddings disasters tend to be great stories eventually. Besides, Danni probably has an actual friend that is willing to be her maid of honor and Xiumin is Chen's best man. I'm not needed."

"He rejected you, didn't he?" Baekhyun said softly as he sat on the bed. 

"I wouldn't put it like that, he promised that he'll reserve two days for me to have our steamy love affair when we're in the same country. Danni probably wouldn't mind it either" Misty said looking up at Baekhyun.

"Misty...." Baekhyun started.

"Don't. I don't want to hear it. It's too late. I'm too late. He gave me a chance right after Suho and I broke up. But you know what I did? I fled the country because I was suffocating with my emotions. I let him go when I did that." By now the tears that she held onto trickle down her face. Baekhyun grabbed her hand and held it. 

"Maybe this is for the best. I probably don't even deserve someone as wonderful as Chen." Misty continued. 

"No. Don't say that. Maybe it wouldn't have worked out if you two actually ended up together. Maybe if you came back when you actually intended to, you and Chen would have probably gotten together but you wouldn't have travelled and accomplish what you wanted for yourself and that also goes for Chen, maybe he wouldn't even make those albums and world tours." Baekhyun replied. Misty knew he was right. She probably wouldn't be happy if she didn't see the world the way she has. And she knew Chen wouldn't either if he wasn't able to accomplish his goals. 

"C'mon Mis, you wouldn't want to disappoint your best friend. I mean you didn't come this far to only  raid the alcohol samples. Baekhyun joked

After the wedding rehearsal, everyone went out to dinner. Misty had a great time catching up with everyone. When one of the waiters came up to Misty to whisper that a man was asking for her, she excused herself from her table and followed the waiter to another secluded area in the restaurant. She was led to a private room, where she saw Mario seated at a table for two.

"Hello Beautiful." Mario greeted his smile glistening by the candle light. He stood up and pulled out the chair for Misty. Misty sat and thanked him. Once both of them were seated Mario ordered a bottle the finest wine the restaurant carried. Once the waiter left, Mario and Misty had their eyes locked on one another. 

"Why are you here?" Misty asked.

"Well, I'm on holiday for a little while before the season starts. So I figured, why not visit my wonderful girlfriend who I barely see. But then I come find that you are also on holiday for a wedding. Which surprised me because you hate weddings. Even more surprising back to your home country. Mario says smoothly. 

"He's my best friend. He asked and so I came." Misty responded. 

"Misty, what are we? I mean what are we doing? We hardly see each other, we barely talk and when we see each other its like we're strangers on a first date." 

"I don't know." Was al Misty could say because she knows it's true. 

"Have you fallen out of love with me?" Mario asked his expression broke Misty's heart. 

"Mario...I...don't know. Really. I just. I don't know where my life is going right now. We can end this you know?"

"Is that what you want?" Mario asked in a low voice. Misty thought it was so unfair how he has that abandoned puppy look. His soft brown eyes staring at her through her soul wasn't in her favor at this occasion.  Misty didn't respond, not because she actually wanted to break up with Mario but it's not like they could both pretend things are working out between them. 

"I mean did you really think we could actually make it work? For heaven's sake! You live in Germany, that's your home. And I on the other hand can't stay put in one country. What were we thinking when we got together? Huh? Like I would actually settle down and you and I will get married and have children?" Misty bursted out looking intently at Mario. 

"Actually....yeah...eventually." Mario quietly admitted. 

"Mario...it's not that I don't want to eventually have future soccer children with you. But the timing is all wrong." Misty continued. This was it. The same old story again and again and again. She was breaking someone's heart that didn't deserve it. 

"I understand. I mean we're still fairly young so why rush?" Mario said more to himself than at Misty. 

Truth was, she was head over heels over Mario. And she for once in her life, she didn't know her next move. She didn't know an exit out of her current situation.  

"How about you, my wonderful boyfriend, accompany me at my best friend's wedding? You'll meet the idiots I hung out with during my college years? And plus I can show you around the great city of Portland. What do you say?" Misty said happily. 

"I'd like that." Mario said giving her that one particular smile that makes her heart skip a beat every single time. 

 

AN: Oh man! Finally I can update this! I'm so glad that you guys still want me to continue this. For some time I've lost inspiration but now....ugh...what is this chapter?! Im sorry for introducing a new character so deep in the plot...!! DUN DUN DUN! Who is this German guy?! It's so good to be back! Thanks again for your support throughout! Since i stopped updating i probably gained a handful of new subscribers which is a shock and its even more shocking to have so many of you from the very beginning are still here! So thank you so much! I hope to actually finish it this time around. :) and  as always I'd love to hear your comments! (Especially on The kinda sorta boyfriend) hehe! Until next time! Btrix27