When Things Start Falling Into Place

Another Chance

“Chen don’t you think you should talk to Danni? It’s been what, two weeks since the wedding?” Xiumin tells Chen. All the guys decided that it was time to have an intervention with Chen who was still staying with Lay for the past two weeks. And within those two weeks, Chen really let go of his himself, he has grown out his facial hair and the bags under his eyes has been the worst its ever been.

“I will. Eventually.” Chen silently replies looking down on his food and just playing with his food. Chen had lost his charisma since Misty left to go back to Germany. No matter how much the others begged her not to go back she couldn’t be convinced, since she had to figure out what her next move would be, which she promised them was to get out of Germany for good. But no one could be really be sure if she would stick to her word, she was Misty after all.

“No Chen! It’s been long enough! You can’t keep putting it off; you can’t keep waiting for something to happen. You have to make it happen! For goodness sake you need to man up for once in your life!” LuHan bursts out which caught everyone by surprise. The elder had never raised his voice at anyone; everyone was looking at each other waiting for Chen, who still wasn’t looking up.

“This was never going to work out you know. I always lose somehow. I can’t figure how my life went in all these directions. I’m sorry that you all have your lives figured out. I thought I did so I’m sorry that I’m trying to refigure things out. “ Chen says this time lifting his head to look at his friends that surrounded him. “I mean what do you want me to do? This isn’t easy as you may think, I’m literally driving my own self crazy.”

“We’re not saying that what you’re going through is easy and that you should make any harsh sudden decisions. It’s just that by this time you usually have something figured out and we’re just worried about your health.” Kai says after a few moments of silence. Everyone was nodding in agreement, watching Chen, who looked like he was about to lose it at anytime.

“I’ll talk to Danni soon. And don’t worry too much about me, I assure you I’ll be ok.” Was all he says before getting up and leaving the restaurant, the others just looked at each other with a sort of relief but the intense worriedness still lingered.

Chen took a taxi to Danni’s place without even calling. He climbed the stairs to get to her apartment, wanting very badly to turn around and forget this all ever happened. But he knew he had to face this sooner than later. He knocked twice waiting. Almost immediately the door flew open.

“Ch-Chen…” Danni stutters tears filling the brim of her eyes almost instantly “I-I….” she stutters even more not being able to complete her sentences. Chen felt his heart swell, he couldn’t stand seeing her like this, she looked like a train wreck, bags under her eyes and her cheeks looking hallowed.

“May I come in?” Chen asks. Danni only nods and steps aside to let Chen in, Danni leads him to the living room and she sits next to him on the couch.

“Danni…all I asks is for you to be honest. It’s the very least you could do.” Chen says in an even voice as he looks into her eyes. “What made you do it?”

“I had all these emotions. I was happy to see Mario and I was just really drunk, which I know shouldn’t be an excuse…. I was scared…still am. To be a wife and maybe mother this soon, Mario reminded me of how young I am and I wasn’t thinking clearly.” Danni replies almost instantly, Chen noticing that she prepared for this encounter.

“You realized that you didn’t want to be married to me after we were married?” Chen questions his voice raising only slightly, trying to keep his cool.

“I-I guess. “ Danni’s words were piercing to Chen. He was putting on this façade that he was fine, that he was still figuring out what to do but in reality Chen was just devastated and he didn’t know how to reach out to those around him. He very much knew that if he spoke to one of the guys they would definitely be willing to help him in out but having a little bit of pride he couldn’t let himself reach out to them.

“Chen I don’t want you to think that I didn’t love you all this time, cause I do…did…I uh…I don’t really know how to put it but maybe we weren’t truly meant to be. Maybe I’m not the right person for you. I’ve been thinking about this a lot and I asked myself if I could see myself with you for the rest of my life and my mind just couldn’t go there.” Danni continues as Chen just stares off in front of him not looking at anything in particular, but he was thinking a hundred thoughts per second.

“Chen…I-I really don’t know what else to say…It didn’t plan it to be this way. Please say something.” Danni says after a while, she turned to him trying to get a glimpse of some sort of reaction and when he didn’t react she grabbed his hand and cupped it in hers.  He then just looks down and retracted his hand.

“Huh I feel like this is hurting me more than it is you. I was going to come here tell you we could work through this because after all we’re husband and wife and that’s what we’re supposed to do.” Chen states his voice strong and firm as he looks into Danni’s eyes. “I’m at fault for expecting a child to be able to think like an adult. It was foolish of me to propose, to put myself in this situation.” Danni’s eyes started to gloss over, tears soon started running down her face and she was uttering, “I’m sorry” repeatedly. Chen closed to their distance to embrace her, resting his chin on top of her head.

“You still have a lot of growing up to do which is fine, I wish we could have realized this earlier on. It’s going to be okay, I’ll take care of everything. Okay?” Danni slowly let go of Chen to look at his face.

“Thank you for everything, I know what I did was unforgivable, you have every right to hate me, which I understand. Danni says sniffling.

“I don’t hate you Danni, I don’t think I can ever hate you. It’s better that this happened now rather than later on.” Chen  said  resting his chin on top of Danni’s head as he brought her in for another hug.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were back at their condo after the somewhat successful intervention luncheon for Chen. Baekhyun was filing his delicate looking nails while Chanyeol was in his little corner that he called his office space, working on his next column. Right as Baekhyun was finishing up with his left hand his phone started to ring, the caller ID flashing an unknown number.

“Hello, Byun Baekhyun speaking.” He greets casually raising his left hand to look if all his nails were evenly filed.

“Baekhyunnie, its Misty…” A loud screech escaped Baekhyun’s lips, Chanyeol who had his bulky headphones on even turned around watching as his boyfriend grinning from ear to ear. “Dude would you calm your it’s only been two weeks since you last saw me.” Misty says on the other line.

“I know! But I’ve been waiting for you to call! Cause we’ve all missed you, especially me.” Baekhyun responds earning a giggle from the other side. Chanyeol’s eyes was wide curiosity taking over him as he rested his headphones around his neck and plopping on the couch next to Baekhyun mouthing “Misty?” and Baekhyun only nodded focusing on what Misty was saying.

“I have really good news and since you’re the first one to know…well technically you and Chanyeol if he’s there….”

“Of course he is, you’re on speaker babe!”

“Hi Mis!” Chanyeol yelled.

“Hi Chanyeol! You two have to promise not to tell anyone yet okay?”

“Gosh Misty, what do you take me for? I can keep a secret.” Baekhyun says but it was only followed by an uh huh from Misty and Chanyeol was raising an eyebrow at his beloved.

“Yeollie, I swear please keep your boyfriend’s mouth shut.” Misty said after a few moments.

“You can count on that.” Chanyeol says a bit lower than he indented and Misty caught on to his implication.

“Anyway, I-….haha I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m moving back to Portland.” Baekhyun let out another screech, hopping on the couch and completely losing his calm.

“OMG! I’M SO GLAD! YOU AND I WILL BE DOING SO MANY BEST FRIEND THINGS AND JUST IM SO PROUD OF YOU BABY GIRL, LIKE THIS IS THE BEST DECISION YOU’VE EVER MADE!” Baekhyun screamed, Chanyeol grabbed onto his boyfriend’s shoulder and pushed him down back to sit because Baekhyun was getting too excited for his own good.

“I know I know. But you two are the only ones that know, I kind of want to keep it on a down low for now just in case things don’t go as planned but I should be there in a week? Hopefully.”

“MISTY OH MY BELOVED MISTY, IM GETTING YOU BACK! DO YOU HAVE ANYWHERE TO STAY?! WHAT ABOUT YOUR JOB?!” Baekhyun kept yelling by this time Chanyeol thought he and Misty were going to have serious hearing problems.

“Uh…I was going to live in a hotel until I find a job.” Misty replies.

“NONESENSE!! YEOL AND I HAVE AN EXTRA ROOM, YOU’RE STAYING WITH US…DON’T EVEN ING ARGUE WITH ME BECAUSE I WILL NOT ALLOW MY BEST FRIEND TO LIVE IN A CRUDY HOTEL ROOM WHEN WE’RE IN THE SAME STATE!” Chanyeol wanted so badly to crawl under a rock since Baekhyun’s voice was resonating in his ears.

“Is Chanyeol okay with this?” Misty asks.

“Of course he is! Aren’t you babe?” Baekhyun says rhetorically as he turns to Chanyeol who only have a few nods thanking God that Baekhyun was now speaking normally. “Yeah he’s totally okay with it! WE’RE GOING TO BE ROOMMATES!!” Chanyeol thought too soon.

“Hun do you want to talk to Misty?” Baekhyun asks him practically already handing him the phone. Chanyeol just took it and brought the device to his ear.

“I’m totally okay with you rooming with us plus I could probably help you with job hunting. I do have connections and you already have so much under your belt, it should be pretty easy to find you a job.”

“I would greatly appreciate that. I just really need to start over you know? And I think going back to my roots is a good idea. What do you guys think?” Misty asks.

“Of course we think it’s a good idea! You’re finally going to be with your family. I think you don’t realize how much so many people here love you…I honestly don’t think anyone dislikes you.” Baekhyun replied as he grabbed the phone from Chanyeol who only pouted at his lack of manners.

“Haha…I mean you don’t think it would be awkward with the whole Chen and Danni situation….”

“Uh…well we had an intervention with Chen today and I believe he finally got the courage to confront Danni. He’s still staying at Lay’s and I mean he’s alright but he’s different nowadays, so I think you moving back could help him…”Baekhyun trails off.

“Baekhyun…I’m not moving back so I can fix him. I’m moving back because I have nowhere else I want to go and I need to do what I think is right for me. And knowing Chen he would make it work with Danni. This is exactly the reason why I don’t want people to know that I’m coming back and it’s because you guys expect me to whip Chen back into shape. I-I gotta go, I’ll talk to you two later.” And with that Misty hung up. Chanyeol and Baekhyun sat there in silence for a while until Chanyeol eventually scooted closer to Baekhyun to embrace him. Baekhyun covered his face with his hands as he started to cry and Chanyeol only held him tighter.

“This is such a mess and I can’t do anything about it.” Baekhyun mumbles.

“Baek you’re doing everything that’s in your power but you gotta let the two of them wrestle it out on their own. They’ll figure it out.” Chanyeol said comfortingly.

“Ugh! They’re both just so stupid!” Baekhyun burst his tears stopping. “You know if both of them weren’t so hard headed, they would already be married and probably have children! Ugh!”  Chanyeol only held the latter tighter because he was practically shaking.

A week later, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were at the airport with a huge “Welcome Home Misty” sign. It was on bright neon poster and once Misty saw it she could only looked down and shake her head, whilst Baekhyun was jumping up and down and Chanyeol had his dorky grin that took over his face.

“AHHHHH!!!! YOU’RE ACTUALLY HERE!! AND YOU’RE STAYING FOREVER AND IM GOING TO CRY!” Baekhyun yelled as Misty made her way to where her friends were. Baekhyun practically knocked over Misty as he greeted her with a tight hug.

“Wow, you’ve really missed me.” Misty giggled as she hugged Baekhyun back as he looked over to Chanyeol, who smiled at her and took a few of her luggage.

“Of course I’ve missed you! You have no idea what kind of hell I’ve faced and you weren’t here for most of it because you have the mentality of an old hippie!”

“Well I’m here now!” Misty says as Baekhyun finally lets go of her. The three made their way out of the somewhat crowded airport and to the parking lot.

“Misty…DUCK!” Baekhyun suddenly screams when they were about to pull up in front of Baekhyun’s and Chanyeol’s condo.

“Duck?” Misty questions as Baekhyun’s entire hand smacks the top of her head and pushes it down. “BAEKHYUN THE ARE YOU DOING?!”

“SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!” Baekhyun only yells. Misty does so, very confused about the sudden situation. She hears the driver window go down and she puts her head down even more to rest it on her lap.

“Chanyeol…Baekhyunnie…how are you guys?” Misty knew exactly who the shaky voice belonged to and she dared not to move.

“Chen…what are you doing here?” Baekhyun asks obviously trying to sound as normal as possible. “And how much have you had to drink?”

“Just a couple of beers….Danni lives only a few blocks from here and I didn’t want to drive all the way back to Lay’s, mostly because I can’t remember the directions.” Chen hiccups. “Is it alright if I crash with you guys tonight, promise I’ll be out by morning.”

“Uhh…yeah sure…let me just park the car. We’ll meet you inside.” Chanyeol says as he hands the keys to Chen. Misty then hears the window go up again and Baekhyun finally lifts his hand off of Misty when Chanyeol started to  drive off.

“What are we going to do?!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “I HAVE KEPT MY MOUTH SHUT FOR ALMOST TWO WEEKS AND THIS HAPPENS, NOBODY KNOWS YOU’RE HERE AND IT DIDN’T LOOK LIKE CHEN AND DANNI MADE IT WORK BECAUSE CHEN LOOKS LIKS ABSOLUTE TRASH!”

“Uhh…uhh…I don’t know…” Misty whispers.

“Actually…there’s one person that knows you’re here…I kinda slipped when talking to Lay. So he knows, he’s probably still at his office, I could call him up.” Chanyeol suddenly says.

“YAH YOU UGLY GIANT BASTARD! I HATE YOU SO MUCH! OF ALL PEOPLE WHY WOULD YOU TELL LAY…” Baekhyun bursts as he started hitting Chanyeol on the shoulder who just sat there taking it.

“Lay is perfect! I miss him so much!” Misty exclaims clapping her hands.

“WOULD YOU FIND YOUR CHILL, I COULD SEE YOUR THROUGH YOUR JEANS AND I DON’T APPRECIATE YOU RUINING MY SHIP!” Baekhyun turned to Misty and started smacking every part of her that he could reach.

“I’m sorry! OH GOD BAEKHYUN IM SORRY!” Misty cried out trying to scotch her body farther from Baekhyun who kept on letting her have it. Chanyeol just rolled his eyes and dialed Lay’s number. A few minutes later, Baekhyun and Chanyeol made their way up to their condo while Misty waited for Lay by their car.

“Ugh…I’m so ing stupid. I knew I shouldn’t have moved back.” Misty growled to herself as she kicked the tiny rocks by her feet. She stomped her foot and buried her face in her hands, shaking her head then bending over from the waist as she wanted to scream but retaliated since she was in an empty parking lot and didn’t want to draw any attention.

“Mis…are you okay?” she heard a random voice say not sensing that someone was a few feet away. Misty uncovered her face almost afraid to see whom the voice belonged to.

“YOU SHOULDN’T APPROACH WOMEN LIKE THAT!” Misty screamed at Lay who grinned at her as he surrendered his hands up. “I hate you so much!”

“Well then, I guess it was nice seeing you.” Lay said as he started to turn around about to go back to his car.

“No…Lay…I’m sorry. I just got scared…please don’t go.” Misty immediately says as she took a step forward. Lay stops in his tracks and chuckles, quickly turning around and wrapping his arms around Misty, who almost look like she was about to cry.

“You really are stupid…” Lay says immediately receiving a smack on his chest. “I’m kidding, you’re just really fun to mess with. But I’m glad you’re back, hopefully permanently this time?” he finishes.

“Probably. I mean I have no plans on leaving anytime soon.” Misty replies as they both let go of one another.

“Are you hungry? I haven’t had dinner since I was working pretty late.” Misty nodded and Lay gestured that they walk to his car. Misty lets Lay decide where to have dinner since she couldn’t care less. The meal they provided her on the plane didn’t satisfy her hunger.

“Here we are! I’m sure you remember this place.” Lay finally says as he put the car on park. Right in front of Misty was the restaurant she had been looking for the last time but instead winded up getting lost and making Lay pretend that they were married with kids.

“OMG! It’s still here?! Nothing changed!” Misty exclaims as they took their seats, a waitress handing them menus. “Wow…that’s my painting right there!” Misty pointed at a framed picture of a cherry blossom tree that hung on the wall.

“I still eat here often, this place hasn’t changed much, except the kitchen since it got remodeled but the food is still so very much homemade and still the best in town.” Lay tells Misty as an old man approached their table.

“Yixing! So wonderful to have you here tonight! We’ve missed you on Wednesday.” The man says grinning at Lay and Misty. “And you brought a beautiful young lady this time, that’s a first.” The man continues with a sly tone.

 

“Oh nonono, she’s just a friend! Do you not remember Misty? She used to work here when she was still in college and you fed her in exchange.” Lay replies almost immediately his cheeks turning a few shades of red.

“OH! MISTY LEE?! Oh my! You’ve grown so much young lady!” The man says as he walked over to Misty’s side and awkwardly hugged her from where she sat.

“I’ve missed you too Mr. Chang. It’s been awhile.” Misty giggles as she tries to stand up and give the elder a proper hug.

“Ahh yes, did Yixing here tell you he bought the place for me. I no longer have to pay rent and I also own the two stores next door, plus he paid for the remodeling of the kitchen! Aish can you believe this kid?!”

“Wow…that’s very generous of you!” Misty exclaimed her eyes wide that only made Lay blush harder.

“It’s nothing, Mr. Chang is family. He’s been very good to me and my friends, it’s the least I can do to thank him.”

“This kid…I’m sure you two didn’t come here to chitchat…Misty would you still like your favorite bean sprouts stew?” Mr. Chang asks.

“You still remember?!” Misty exclaims for the third time that night.

“Of course I remember, you helped me perfect it! And the same as always for you Yixing?” Lay nodded and Mr. Chang disappeared taking their menus along with him.

“You really bought this whole plaza for him? And remodeled that cruddy old kitchen? Aish Lay, you’re an angel.” Misty says.

“Ahh its really nothing. This place is pretty special to me, you and so many others.” Lay replies before taking a sip of water. “The old man doesn’t really have anyone else besides me to be honest, so I wanted to help out.”

“What do you mean? Is…Mrs….” Lay nods before Misty finishes her sentence, she covered looking down. “I…how….omg…” Misty really was speechless.

“It happened a few years ago, Mr. Chang became behind on his payments due to the hospital and funeral costs, the restaurant was going to close and he would have nothing left, so I pitched in.”

Mr. Chang then approached them again, with a teapot in hand. Right as he set it down, Misty got up and hugged him tightly.

“I’m so sorry for your lost. I wish I could have been here. I…I’m so sorry.” Misty says to him

“Oh Misty, its okay. I’ve coped, she’s still with us here in the restaurant and in our hearts, just as long as we never forget her, she will always be with us.” Mr. Chang replies to her patting his hands on her hair trying to calm her. “Now sit and enjoy your tea, like how she would want you to!” Misty lets out a laugh as she recalls Mrs. Chang always telling her to finish her tea before leaving for school.

“Misty, may I ask you a question?” Lay finally breaks the silence between them when there food arrived.

“Yeah go ahead.”

“Why did you come back? I know you’ve always wanted to leave this place and never turn back, I know you could have gone to some other country but this time you actually came back here.” Misty lets out an awkward laugh, playing with her food before responding.

“I realized that I felt alone in the world, even when all of you were just a phone call away, I was still alone. No matter where I went, no matter whom I was with the feeling never left me. Chen’s wedding was a rude awakening, I’ve never felt so at home until I was surrounded by the guys. I almost lost Chen and I don’t know what would have ended up happening if things didn’t turned the way they did. It may be selfish of me but I can’t lose him again. I can’t lose any of you. You idiots are the only ones I have.” Misty finishes realizing that her eyes were glazing over with tears.

“You’re not going to lose any of us. We’re all far too invested in worrying over yours and Chen’s well being. You made the right call to move back. Don’t wait to be with him because you don’t want this cycle to continue You and Chen have been playing cat and mouse for half your lives, I think its time to finally call quits. Don’t you think?”

Lay and Misty both say their goodbyes to Mr. Chang, promising him that they would be back very soon. When they arrive back at Baekyeol’s condo, two hours had passed and according to Baekhyun Chen was passed out in their guest room so it was safe to sneak her in.

“Misty, I’m assuming you don’t have any job offers here yet?” Lay asks before she got out of his car.

“Uh no…Chanyeol was going to help me find something.”

“No need, would you be interested in your own column for the tribune? There’s an opening and you can write whatever your heart desires.”

“Lay, I can’t possibly…that’s…”

“It’s for a small newspaper, just to ease you into American journalism. It’s not that big of a deal, its definitely a stepping stone.” Lay cuts Misty off and she only gives him a sly smile and shook of her head.

“Fine. Thank you! I really appreciate you looking out for me.” Misty says embarrassed.

“Hey, like you said you idiots are the only ones I have.” Lay smiles and Misty couldn’t help smiling back because if anyone could relate to Misty it was Lay. Lay waited for until Misty was safely inside Baekyeol’s condo before taking off.

“I swear to god if you end up falling for Lay instead I will rip your head off! Because I did not work my off all these years for you to be with another perfect human being…who is obviously more perfect than Chen because Chen is such a mess…and Lay…is a walking angel amongst…”

“Baekhyun…would you shut up…Lay is a very close friend…goodness what kind of do you take me for?” Misty interrupts Baekhyun whose mouth was agape and obviously trying to really process that he was in fact reading the situation wrong.

“How is he?” Misty asks taking off her shoes.

“Better. Cried his eyes out; he went to see her to patch things up you know, but she admitted that she made a mistake, so naturally he’s devastated and blaming himself for all the agony he’s caused.” Baekhyun replies filling Misty in on the details. Misty looks Baekhyun straight in the eyes and he knew what she was thinking, he nodded and gave her a small smile before she made her way to the guest bedroom.

Misty opens the bedroom door only slightly for her to fit through and closed it behind her slowly and quietly as she can. There wasn’t much light except for the street lamp that was coming through from the blinds, that was just enough to let her make out the bed and where a sleeping Chen in fetal position laid. She tiptoed across the room, to get on the other side of the bed where his back was turned. She carefully slid under the covers and inched her way closer to him until she could comfortably wrap her arms around him, nestling her chin on his neck. Chen stirs a little, his face crunching his face a little at the sudden intrusion of his sleep.

“Shh, its okay. It’s just me.” Misty whispers softly in his ear.

“Misty?” Chen breathes. “Are you really here?”

“Yes, I’m here.” Misty softly replies running her fingers through his bangs, sweeping it to the side of his face.

“Don’t go. Please stay.” Chen says this time opening his eyes slightly.

“I’m not going anywhere. I’m right here.” Misty says planting butterfly kisses on his temples down to his cheeks. “I won’t ever leave you again.”

 

AN: Lolol it got sappy in the end. This was a pretty long chapter...lol I don't really know what to say...because idk if I should end it here?? Or write an epilogue?? err what to do what to do?? Let me know on the comments below!! hehe