Just a Regular Day

Another Chance

Misty sat down on her chair and took out her materials for class. She sat at the very last row of the lecture hall, away from the rest of the students that crowded the middle section. The professor started up the PowerPoint and began the lecture. Misty jotted down the notes but soon zoned out and doodled on the margins of her paper. Halfway through the class, she heard the door open but didn’t bother to look at who had entered. Her professor had stopped mid-sentence, looking up to who had interrupted his class.

“Sorry for interrupting, I had a hard time finding the room.” The voice said coming from behind Misty.

“You must be the new student. Very well, take a seat anywhere and next time; please refrain from disturbing my class.” The professor said before continuing where he had left off. Misty heard a couple of girls a few rows in front of her, whispering and giggling. She just rolled her eyes and started to take notes again. She didn’t even notice that the new student has towered over her.


“Is it okay if I sit here?” He asked in a soft voice. She looked up, then at the seat next to her and just nodded. She turned to face the front. She was a bit irritated and uncomfortable that he had chosen to sit next to her, when the whole entire back two rows where completely empty. She sat all the way back there for a reason. Everyone knew her as the rebel that hated being around people. They judge her before they knew her. And some rumors were true, she wasn’t a social butterfly but she wasn’t exactly antisocial.

When the class was finally dismissed, Misty quickly packed her things and bolted out the door.  She walked to her usual spot under a shady old oak tree and pulled out her laptop from her bag. She plugged in her headphones and played the recent remix that she had just finished creating that morning. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a pair of shoes land by her; Misty looked up and saw a familiar face. She took off her headphones and patted the space next to her.

“I knew I would find you here.” Chen said handing her a bowl of fruit and bottled water. Misty took it kindly and rolled her eyes at him.

“Where else would I be?” She asked opening the lid of the fruit bowl.

“I don’t know that old radio shop by  Montgomery Hall.” Chen said taking a bite of his sandwich. They sat there eating their lunch in silence. Chen and Misty met their freshmen year and had been close friends ever since. Chen was majoring in music while Misty majored in journalism and travel. Both of them were quite different. Chen was more amicable and social. Misty on the other hand was diffident and rather gauche. But put them together and they made a jovial pair.

“What were you listening to before I intruded your peaceful little world?” Chen said after he had finished his sandwiched.

“I was listening to the new remixes that I was planning on playing tonight.” Misty said unplugging her headphones and angled her laptop so that it faced Chen. She pressed the space bar and the song started playing.

“I find it ironic that I’m the one whose majoring in music and here you are making all these remixes and working at the radio station.” Chen said bobbing his head to the beat.

“I too find it ironic that you used to travel all over the world and blogged about it.” They both laughed not realizing that the music has already stopped.

“Misty, have you ever thought of being in a relationship with someone?” Chen asked. Misty was caught off guard by the sudden changed of topic. She hasn’t really thought about it, sure the subject came up once in a while but she has never really thought it through on her own.

“No. Why?” She replied raising an eyebrow, when people talked to her about her love life, it always ended up as uncomfortable and something that was never to be brought up again.

“Well, we’re graduating soon and as far as I know, you haven’t been in a single relationship.”

“And your point is?”

“I’m just saying you need to let loose a little, experience being young.”

“Says someone who is always cooped up in their dorm playing video games.” Misty said with a smirk on her face.

“I’m with friends though.”

“You know me; I don’t need company to make me happy. My computer does a swell job at accompanying me and making me happy.”

“Now that’s a problem, you need to be around people not inanimate objects.” Chen said jokingly. Misty just glared at him and punched his shoulder.

“I’m not social at all. I’m lucky to have you talk to me. Let alone be your friend for the past four years.”

“Oh come here,” Chen said pulling Misty into a hug. “We’ll solve your social phobia.” Chen was the only person she was comfortable with having physical contact with. After months of obstreperous behavior towards her when they first met, she finally grew used to him clinging onto her like gum stuck under a shoe. Why Chen wanted to be her friend in the first place was a mystery to Misty, why she never cared asks him was another mystery of its own.

“Misty,” Chen started, he let go of her so he could see her face. “What if I set you up with one of my buddies?” Misty busted out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” Chen said giving her a questioning look.

“I don’t think your friends will be attracted to this?” Misty said gesturing to herself from head to toe all the while still laughing. Truth was Misty had a pretty face and nice body. She had the rebel look, dressed in nothing but dark colors, a couple ear piercings, natural black hair and heavy cat eye make-up. Her choice of style was completely fine; it suited her short petite body. It was her lack of social encounters that made her different.

“Oh c’mon, don’t give me that bull. You’ve met my friends, they totally like you.”

“I met them once and I brought chips to your little nerd gathering. Of course they liked me.” Misty said as she started packing her things.

“Come to one of our band practices.” Chen said standing up and grabbing their trash.

“No Chen.” Misty said slinging her messenger bag on her shoulder.

“Please….” Chen begged.

“No.” Misty said and started walking.

“Pretty pleassssseeeee….” Chen trailed behind her. Misty stopped and turned around and glared at her rather insolent obstreperous best friend.

“If I come to one, will you stop nagging me?”

“Yes thank you,” Chen said clapping his hands together and grinned from ear to ear. “You won’t regret it; you’ll have a good time I promise.” Chen said giving Misty a hug before turning around and walking the other direction. Misty rolled her eyes and started walking to the parking lot, heading to work.

A/N: I hope I didn't bore you to death. Introductions is my weak spot in writing. ;A; So...here is a gif spam!!!

;A; Ultimate Bias

Gifs aren't mine, thank the wonderful talented people that creates them on Tumblr. I would really appreciate it if you guys commented and subscribe! ~Btrix27