Her Secret Talent

Another Chance

Misty looked at the text Chen had sent her, making sure she was at the right address. She put her phone back inside her back pants pocket and rang the doorbell. Within a few seconds the door swung open and a man in his forties stepped out.

“Hello. How may I help you?” The man asked eyeing her from head to toe; she assumed that he was the butler of the mansion.

“Um…a friend invited me to their band practice.” Misty said in a respectful tone.

“Oh! You must be Misty,” the butler chimed. Misty just nodded and smiled at him. “Please come in.” He instructed as he opened the door wider to let her in. Once she stepped in she immediately felt out of place. Everything was so clean and neat. The white walls and furniture contrasted her usual dark outfit. She followed the butler to the staircase and once they reached the second floor, he unlocked a white door and urged her inside. She thanked him as she entered; he gave her a slight nod before closing the door and leaving her alone in a dark room. She looked around, only being able to see the outlines of the furniture. Misty took a few steps forward with her hands in front of her. Her foot suddenly got caught on something; she lost her balance and fell on top of something hard and rather bumpy, automatically recognizing it as a sound board. She groaned as a couple of knobs pierced her through her thin clothing, she slowly got up and clutched onto her side. Suddenly, the lights came on and she found six guys looking at her through the sound proof window of the recording studio. She spotted Chen, who gave her his signature smile as he exited the sound booth. He burst out the door and almost knocked her over when he came running to her, giving her a tight hug.

“You came! You actually came!” He cheered hugging her and burying his face in her hair.

“It’s not like you gave me much of a choice, you stole my flash drive that contains my essay that’s due tomorrow.”  She said, patting his head as she tried to pull away, only to cause him to cling onto her tighter. Chen’s friends all came out of the sound booth and was eyeing the two of them with suspicious faces.

“Umm…Chen…” She said trying to slip out of his grip. This time Chen seemed to get the message and he let her go, giving her a smile before facing s.

“You guys remember Misty, right?” He asked them as they all nodded. They all greeted her with warm smiles before turning away and grabbing their water bottles from inside a fridge. Misty took a seat on a black leather couch, keeping her distance from the boys. She observed them and tried remembering their names; to her demise she was pretty sure she matched their names with their faces accurately. After their five minute break, they all went back inside the booth and started setting up. Chen waved to her and gestured to put on the bulky headphone that was lying neatly on the sound board.

“I’m putting you to work.” Chen’s voice came on the headphone. Misty looked up to find him giving her a mischievous look. The drummer, who she remembered was Kris, tapped his drumsticks together to a beat. Luhan kicked off the song with a piano solo, a couple seconds in Lay and Tao strummed their guitars, Xiumin came in with the bass and was followed by Kris. A minute into the song, Chen started to sing. Of all the years that Misty had known Chen, this was the first time she heard him sing. She was aware that he was talented but not this talented. His voice was like soft bells ringing in her ears, so when his voice slowly faded away she was brought back to reality. The middle of the song was the guitar and bass solo. To non-musicians it might have sounded excellent but to Misty, who heard every string that got plucked, it sounded hallow, it was missing impact. She cringed at the clashing of sounds; it was too much of a dissonance to her liking.

“What did you think?” Chen asked once the song ended and once every sound had faded away. Chen saw the sparks in her eyes; he was familiar with that look of hers. He knew that she was coming up with something brilliant and that she wouldn’t share it.

“Misty, come here and show us.” Chen said softly. Misty gulped. She knew exactly what she needed to do but she was afraid. Of what exactly? She didn’t know herself, why her heart pounded at an abnormal rate or why her hands got tingly and sweaty, whenever she was put on the spot. What she did know was she didn’t care if they judged her. She knew what she was doing so why was she nervous?

Misty stood up and went inside the booth, all eyes on her. She walked on over to Lay, who seemed less intimidating than Tao and asked for his electric guitar. He politely handed it to her and sat on the large amp behind him. Misty put the guitar strap around her neck and quickly played the major scales.

“The middle of the song can use some tweaking. The bass is great but the guitars are too powerful and forward. I recommend only having one guitar during this part, so its balance-“

“But it’s two different rifts!” Tao said cutting her off.

“Let her finish.” Chen replied glaring at Tao before turning back to Misty and urging her to continue.

“Having one guitar wouldn’t make a huge difference….” She trailed off noticing that none of them seemed to be buying what she was saying. “This was what I had in mind.” She plucked each string once, making sure it was in tune, grabbed the neck of the guitar and played the rifts that she thought would match the song. Words confused the mind but sound eased it. She needed them to understand and words wouldn’t get them where she wanted.

“At most, the solo will be 30 seconds longer.” She said when she was done. They all looked at her, mesmerized. Misty turned to Chen, confused by the looks that everyone was giving her but he only winked at her.

After a few hours of rehearsing and tweaking, everyone was exhausted and was ready to go home. Misty didn’t want to admit it but she had fun being around the guys. She, unlike most girls, doesn’t seek to find Prince Charming. She thought of herself as too much of an individual to share that special connection with someone. To most, it might have seemed depressing that she couldn’t picture herself settling down with anyone. But that was Misty and she couldn’t help seeing herself  growing old, writing from dawn until dusk with only the company of a dog, a cat and a gerbil.

 

 

A/N: I'm sorry its short. ;A; but I think if I wrote it in little chunks like this I can update more frequently? What do you guys think?
Wow! 8 subribers already! This was kind of a spurt of the moment idea, but I think I have a set plot for this this story. This is my first time writing something in third person, so if you guys could tell me how I'm doing I would really appreciate it.
And if you guys are interested, click HERE to read my first fanfic. Fair Warning: It's not my best work, in my opinion. ;A; so I'm trying to go back to fix my errors and make a few minor changes. Thank you again for reading, subscribing and commenting. Until the next chapter my dear beloved readers! ~Btrix27