Ddeokbokki shop

Unexpected Love

 

            After sending off my mother, I make a move to my new high school. Woolim High.. hmm.. how cool it’ll be. Just a normal school that I’m always dreamed of. This is said in the school’s pamphlete as the fees is not much expensive than my former high schools.

 Talk of the devil, I have been enrolled in 2 different elite high school in Gangnam. And, I have been expelled after making such a mess to both of the schools. Just a rebellion against my mum because I’d never will to be in that petty school! My mother, Mrs Lee always in and out of the discipline teacher’s room and its all thanks to me. Before, I used to live in Gangnam, the elite capital in Korea. Now, we have move to Seoul as the first time, my mother had agree with me and let me to make the decision to myself. Oh, my poor mother.

 

“Where is the bus stop? Ah, I can ask the people around here.”

 

            After looking for some people, I finally have met one.

 

“Excuse me. Where can I get the bus?”

“Oh, the bus stop. There. You can just walk straight and you will have the bus stop on your right.”

“Thank you.”

“Welcome.”

 

            Oh, such a nice lady. I wish there will be more person like her in this residential. That’s why I love the normal, ordinary person compared to the rich people who only care about their money in spite of friendship and loyalty.

            In my way to the bus stop following the direction mentioned by the nice woman earlier, I discovered a Ddeokbokki shop. Ddeokbokki!!! I feel like to scream out of my heart. This makes me love this residential even more.

Like a magnet, I walk into the shop and a middle-aged ahjumma give me a warm welcome. Nice lady, again. How I love this residential already. First, the nice residents. Second, of course my favourite food, Ddeokbokki! Wow, daebak!!

 

“Welcome to our shop.”

“Ah, thank you.”

“What do you like to order?”

“Hmm.. this shop sells only Ddeokbokki?”

“Yes. Various type of Ddeokbokki.”

           

Ah, I’ve come to paradise. I need to inform my mother about this good news. I want to scream out of my lungs. But.. there’s a lot of people in here.

 

“Ahjumma-nim, I want a plate of noodle Ddeokbokki.”

 

            It has been so long since I taste this delicious Ddeokbokki.

 

“Aigoo.. don’t choke.”

 

            The ahjumma take the seat in front of me.

 

“Ani, ahjumma-nim. I have never taste this delicious Ddeokbokki for a long time.”

“Drink more water.”

“Okay.”

“By any chance, are you from Woolim High?”

“Ah, yes. Do you know this uniform?”

“Yes.”

 

            Ah, I just remember that I still need to go to the school. I look at my watch. And it’s already 8.10 a.m. and this means that I have 40 minutes more to reach the school. The school starts at 8.50 a.m. as said in this pamphlete. This is my first day. I don’t want to be late. So, I chew the Ddeokbokki up a little bit faster.

 

“Are you late? You have more than 30 minutes to reach the school. Don’t worry.”

“Sorry, ahjumma-nim. Today is my first day at school. I don’t want to be late in my first day.”

“Oh.. don’t worry. From here to your school only take 30 minutes.”

“But.. ahjumma, I need to think about any other possibilities, too.”

“Never mind. Don’t choke.”

 

Ahjumma helps to wrap the food.

 

“Ah, gwaenchana.”

“You can take this to your school for lunch since you cannot finish it here.”

“Thanks. How much is this?”

“Ani. You don’t need to pay.”

“Ahjumma.. here take this.”

“Never mind. It is your first time eating here. It’s on me.”

“Thank you, ahjumma-nim.”

 


 

Ahjumma’s POV

            Oh, nice girl. I wish I have a daughter like her. I’m always dream to have a daughter after my son born to this world. But, luck was not by my side. My husband ran away when his son just 2 years old!

But, I’m still lucky because I still have a son that can take care of me. It has been more than a decade we live by ourselves. We have forgotten all that linked to his father. He also has thought his father has died for long time ago. Thanks also to his missing father, he now grown up being a such responsible and dependable man.

Woolim High.. coincidence isn’t it? My son also studied there. Ah.. that uniform and the badge is similar to his.

 

“Mrs Kim, I need another plate of Ddeokbokki, please.”

 

            Only the regular customers know my name. After serving the customer, I take my seat behind the counter. Ah, I hope the girl arrived safely at her school.