11. Near misses

Thousand years

 

"Lulu, say ahhhhhhhh~" 

Luhan smiled and gladly let Sehun feed him a piece of meat. Things have been going well between these two lovebirds, and Sehun was becoming the bashful kid he'd kept hidden away in him. That, was exactly what Luhan liked about him, the innocence and bashfulness Sehun had when he was with him, just like he was when Sephen still had Lou with him. Memories.

A rustle in the bushes nearby caught their attention. In a flash, both of them stood up at lightning's speed and had their backs against each other. Both Luhan and Sehun  closed their eyes. Sensing the dark presence from the same direction, Sehun bared his fangs and Luhan raised his hand, ready to launch their own attacks. But before either of them could do anything, they felt yet another presence - Jong-in. 

Walking out cooling from amongst the bushes, Jong-in held up a piece of cloth in his hands. "You both alright?" Luhan and Sehun looked at each other and nodded. 

Scrunching his nose, Sehun cocked his head to a side. "What brought you here?"

"Walked past and saw some sneaky of a person lurking around with a dart." Jong-in replied all too casually, raising the cloth in his hand, "But he got away, this torn sleeve is all I got" 

Before Jong-in left, he shot Luhan a look, and received an acknowledging nod. 

--

"Where’s he?" 

"In a discussion with the professor." 

"Lou, do you know what nearly happened?" Jong-in asked while playing with the Swiss knife he was holding. 

It took Luhan a few seconds to understand what Jong-in asked. Right, just a few hours ago, he nearly blew his identity by using his powers, in front of Sehun. 

"But there was-" 

"I will be around. Sephen is my only brother, there is no way in hell I’m letting anything happen to him. So please, work your brain a little faster in future." 

Luhan could only nod. 

Jong-in retrieved the piece of cloth from his pocket and handed it to Luhan, "So, this sleeve, does it belong to 'them'?" 

Examining the piece of torn cloth carefully, and mumbling a few spells, Luhan nodded slowly. "Most probably, yes. It has the trace of a sorcerer." 

Jong-in then took out something else from a plastic bag. "How about this?" 

Luhan's eyes widened. It was a silver dart, about 7cm in length. The tip of the dart was specially crafted at a certain angle. The tail end, had some mystical symbols carved in. The silver instrument reflected light off itself and shone bright. 

"W-where did you get this from?" 

"Just tell me what this is, and what it does."

"This, is one of the top few deadly vampire hunting weapons used by us sorcerers. The entire dart is put together using a strong spell, casted from pure silver, mixed with the blood of the sorcerer who cast it. The silver alone will immobilize any vampire upon contact, and the spell will cleanse the soul of the vampire, in other words, bring about emotional and mental torture the vampire in question and the blood..." 

"The blood what?" 

"The blood will seep into every vein and bone slowly, eating you from the inside out, until you die of pain. I suppose this would be much worse than having your limbs ripped off one by one." Luhan kept the dart in his bag, away from the vampire before his eyes. 

"So you're saying that if this had gotten Sephen, it's a definite death for him?" 

"He wouldn't die, he will be tortured ever so slowly. As long as you are alive, he can't die, even if he gets tortured beyond his treshold. That’s the way His Majesty had created the two of you. Sephen will only die from the torture if you are in the same situation as him." Luhan explained all the details to Jong-in, who didn't seem to be very impressed. 

"So, now they want me dead too?" 

"Either that, or they are out to make Sephen's life a living hell, much worse than death itself."

--

A soft thud echoed from the corner of his room. Sehun set the book he was reading on the bedside table and looked up. 

"Brother, don't you get bored of entering my room from the same window all the time?" Sehun rolled his eyes as he plopped himself on the bed. "If you have not already realized for the many years we’ve resided here, the door to my room, is much nearer to your room than the window is.” 

Jong-in merely shrugged, before diving on to the empty spot next to Sehun.

"Sehun ah, we need to talk.”

“What about?”

“Do you even realize what happened today?" 

Sehun stared at his brother, dumbfounded. He has no inkling as to what the latter was blabbering about. Jong-in had guessed as much. When his brother is in love, he only remembers his lover’s name and nothing else.

"Did you happen to forget that Luhan is not Lou?" Jong-in pointed out in a matter-of-factly manner. 

"No, how is Luhan, Lou? Even though they are way too alike, I know Lou’s dead, like how you’ve been drilling the same fact into me over and over again." Sehun was very beyond confused. 

"Does Luhan already know who you really are?"

"No."

"Do you intend to let him find out?"

"No...not yet at least."

"With that fangs and eyes of yours just now, poor Luhan could have died of shock before he died from an assassin attack." Jong-in pointed to Sehun's lips and eyes on purpose as he said. 

"Fangs.... eyes... What did I do?" 

Jong-in mentally face palmed himself, hard. 

"YOU BARED YOUR DAMED FANGS WHEN THERE WAS AN ASSASSIN JUST NOW MY DEAR BROTHER SEPHEN"

Now, it was Sehun’s turn to facepalm himself, doubly hard.

“D-does he know?”

“No he does not but my dear brother, please watch out for your actions in future. I can’t be there 24/7 to look out for your blunders.” Jong-in chided.

“But there was some crazy lurking around, who knew if he or she would have hurt Lulu!” Sehun pouted.

Oh my dear brother, I’m more than 100% sure that that dude is able to take care of himself. “Who would dare to lay a finger on him when you are around? Besides, I’m here to keep a look out for you aren’t I?”

“Thank you, Kai.”

--

An exasperated cry came from inside the room. They were separated by the wooden door, and a missing key.

“Baekhyun, let me in, please just let me in.”

“I SAID GO AWAY. I HAVE NO WISH TO TALK TO ANYONE RIGHT NOW, MUCH LESS YOU.” Chanyeol's heart hurt.

Outside the door, Chanyeol placed his hand on the door knob and twisted it open, while mumbling an unlocking spell. He was expecting to see a mess in the room, but he certainly did not expect to see such a horrendous mess. Candles were busting into flames randomly all around the room, and glasses and flasks were exploding every now and then from all corners.

“BAEKHYUN I SAID STOP.” Chanyeol rushed over to the crying boy and hugged him tight. “Calm down Baek, you have to calm down.”

Struggling to be free, Baekhyun thrashed his arms around, clawing at all directions just to break free. Chanyeol had no other choice, besides to cast a restraining spell on the poor boy. He held on to him tightly, not letting go at any point in time.

When Baekhyun finally calmed down, he noticed a drip of blood on Chanyeol’s cheek. “What happened?”

“Nothing, it’s just a scratch.” Chanyeol lied. It obviously was cause by Baekhyun flailing his arms around, scratching him in the process of doing so. He did not want Baekhyun to feel worse than he already was feeling. He knew how disappointed Baekhyun was right now, but there was nothing he could do, again. In times like this, he’d always felt useless and like he was a waste of space.

Kim Jong-in, I’ll see that you get out of my way before I embark on the next mission. Baekhyun thought to himself, as he let the hatred and anger take control over his mind.

This is going to be difficult for you my dear boy. Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun started to turn into someone you wouldn’t have believed for him to be. The once innocent and bubbly young boy, now a sorcerer who seeking revenge for his parents, full of hatred, anger and worry.

I will always be here for you Bacchus…