10. His embrace

Thousand years

 

Four days. It’s the fourth day running and Sehun’s still nowhere to be found in school. A handful of students here and there did ask briefly about him, but the majority didn’t take it to heart. All except for one person, who was suffering from a lifetime of guilt. Luhan pulled a chair to Jong-in’s desk. “Urm, How is Seph- I mean, Sehun?” Jong-in continued reading his book, clearly ignoring the former on purpose. “Jong-in, I need to speak to Sehun..”

Slamming his book shut on the table, Jong-in slowly looked up. The look in his eyes made it very obvious that he was still mad at Luhan, and if given the chance to, he might just rip Luhan’s head off there and then. “Go away, I have no wish to speak to a scoundrel like you.” Jong-in spat the words into Luhan’s face. “Please.. let me meet him, just once. There are things I have to let him know.” Luhan begged quietly, lest someone around them heard his words.

Jong-in could not keep it in any further. “Things? Like how you want to break his heart further? Lou Hanleigh, my brother has suffered way too much when you died, or supposedly died. Now that he’s found some glimmer of hope in the other you, you just had to put him through the same all over again because of you and your little rendevouz with that little of yours. How much more do you want to hurt him?”

Maintaining his composure despite the harsh response he got, Luhan calmly handed Jong-in a crumpled note and left.

--

 “Sehun ah, do you want to have your dinner now? You’ve been skipping your meals for days it’s worrying me.” Sehun shook his head and buried his face deeper into the pillow. Jong-in lied down next to him and hugged him from the back, listening to the soft sobbing and sniffles, his own heart hurting.

The doorbell rang and echoed through the gigantic mansion. Sehun stopped sobbing all of a sudden, ears perked up, as he tried to prop himself up on his elbow. That breathing rhythm… Luhan. Hesitating between getting up and flying to the door, and hiding back under his covers, Sehun eventually sulked and slid back into the warmth of his blanket.

The doorbell rang yet again, and Sehun’s body twitched slightly in response to it, but he stayed put where he was. Jong-in was about to go get Luhan to leave, but Sehun stopped him. “Kai, stay with me.”

Jong-in naturally obliged. He was pretty sure Luhan could manage himself out there given his powers. But he could not help thinking about the note that Luhan had stuffed into his hand earlier in the day. Some four or five hours passed but neither Sehun nor Jong-in moved an inch.

Raindrops started falling outside the window. It started off as a drizzle, slowly turning into rain, and eventually leading to a thunderstorm. Thunders roared and lightning flashed across the dark sky. Sehun finally stirred. He looked out of the huge window in his room, and couldn’t help but worry about the silly doe-eyed boy. Is he still out there waiting? What if he catches a cold?Lu, go back, please go back.

Sensing the other male’s thoughts, Jong-in got up. “He should know better than to get drenched. He’ll probably leave in awhile. Don’t you dare let him in.” Sehun said flatly.

Jong-in sighed inwardly. Silly boy, you care so much about him, yet you’re afraid of getting hurt. What am I supposed to do? What can I do for you to make it all better? Will I be able to make everything better for you?  

Outside the mansion, there he knelt, despite the menacing downpour that hasn’t shown any signs of stopping. Luhan felt his knees threaten to give way, but he continued. He wasn’t going to leave just like that. He had to meet Sehun even if it were only for a minute.

The next two hours were torture.

In the rain, Luhan felt himself getting weaker as the minutes went by. In the mansion, so many times Sehun felt the urge to just fly to the door, let the poor boy in, and give him the biggest hug on earth; but the stubborn him simply refused to move. There was nothing Jong-in could do either, besides to stay with Sehun. Not too long later, the vampire brothers sensed the presence of another person. Sehun felt his heart dip, Jong-in’s blood started to boil.

Xiumin.

The doorbell rang continuously, and faint bangings of the door could be heard. Jong-in could no longer take it and made his way to the door. He was more than prepared to rip off some goofy nerdy head tonight, before kicking some sorcerer’s to planet whatever.

A heavy weight fell on him the moment the door opened. “Please, save my cousin, he was running a fever all day, he can’t get caught in the rain. Please, let us in, please..” Within a flash, Sehun appeared out of the blue and carried an unconscious Luhan back to his room.

“Lu, wake up.” Sehun gently patted Luhan’s cheek, in an attempt to wake him up. His body is burning. Changing Luhan out of his soaked garments, Sehun placed a wet towel over his forehead. Tears were welling up in his eyes. “Lu.. please be fine. What on earth was I thinking of, letting you wait out in the storm. I’d told myself that I’ll protect you with my life, and look what I did. I’m sorry Luhan, I’m sorry.”

Downstairs, Jong-in was busy with a shaking Xiumin, cold and scared.

“At the door… who did you say Luhan was?” Jong-in asked. Xiumin kept his line of sight away from Jong-in. “Don’t be afraid, I’m not some monster I won’t eat you up.” Jong-in rolled his eyes mentally. Hell, not some monster my Kai Wufanace, let’s just hope that the of a sorcerer did not go blurting your secret to everyone he sleeps w- Wait, what was that thought that just flashed past his mind?

 “Lu came to explain these to Sehun. He was afraid that Sehun would get mad at him, he was afraid of losing Sehun. He knows that you’re mad at him too.” Xiumin replied with his head down. Jong-in merely looked blankly at the crown of his head.

“We’re just cousins. My parents were involved in a tragic car accident, so he’s been taking care of me. There really isn’t anything else between us, you have to believe me! He was kind of jealous over something, which I think was what made him a little unlike himself when he saw Sehun. But he really loves Sehun! For the past few days, he’s been blaming himself day and night, losing sleep and skipping almost every meal. He’d go to the corner at the end of the street, stand under rain and shine for hours, hesitating whether to come over or not. He caught a fever late last night, but refused to go to the doctor’s. When he didn’t return home earlier on, I got worried so I came over.”

“So…. you’re not some little he’s been sleeping around with?” Jong-in asked questioningly. Xiumin’s eyes widened at Jong-in’s question and choice of words. Shaking his head and waving his hands violently, he started blabbering a whole load of words to defend himself. Jong-in nodded slowly. This dude here isn’t lying. Lou Hanleigh, you jerk of a sorcerer, perhaps it serves you right to be down with a fever for hurting Sehun anyway. I wouldn’t mind being in your position right now. Damn. Jong-in punched himself mentally, before retrieving a towel and a set of clean clothes for Xiumin.

Back upstairs, Sehun heard every word of their conversation. He held Luhan’s burning body close to him, placed a soft kiss on his forehead, and succumbed to tears.

Luhan, why couldn’t I have trusted you a little more? Why should I deserve your trust when I couldn’t do the same for you?

--

Bright sunlight shone through the windows and on to the two sleeping figures. Luhan woke to find himself in someone’s embrace. He took a deep breath, taking in the scent of the sleeping male. The last bit of memory he had was of himself kneeling outside of the mansion, in the rain, soaked to the bones. Looking up at Sehun’s beautiful features, he smiled to himself. Sephen, I’ve missed this scent. It’s been so many years and you’re still using the same scent, our favourite scent. Luhan s his hand over Sehun’s waist, accidentally waking him instead.

Sehun shot up, still holding on to Luhan. “You’re finally awake, how are you feeling now?” He placed a hand over Luhan’s forehead. Gently removing Sehun’s hand from his own forehead, Luhan smiled, “I’ll be fine as long as you’re with me.”

“Sehun ah, I’m sorry, I was being such a jerk I’m really sorry. Xiumin and I are just cou-“ Sehun shushed Luhan by putting his fingers on the latter’s lips. “I know, I know, I was being a whiny baby, hiding at home. Otherwise you wouldn’t be in this horrible state. There’s nothing between Jong-in and I either, it was that little puppy brat’s fault.”

Luhan snuggled into Sehun’s embrace, letting all the happiness and joy in the world flood towards his heart. He was pretty sure that Sehun felt the same way too, but what he wasn’t sure of, was who was he to Sehun.

--

In the room next door, Jong-in had stayed up all night, with Luhan’s note in his hand.

“They’ve started.If Sephen isn’t willing to forgive my blunder, please protect Sephen. I’ll do the same, from afar.”

Sephen, Lou will definitely be able to protect you much better than I can. 

 


Hiya! :D Longest chapter yet, with 1647 words! 
I don't know how many more chapters there will be, do you want more chapters? or do you want the story to end sooner? o.o
Updates might be slightly slower in the next 1-2 weeks cause I'll be crazy busy, I'll still try to update short  chapters thought (:
Pretty please drop a comment before leaving, pretty pretty please? >//<
Till then, exoexo!♥♥