c h a p t e r 5

Please, marry me❣ ||HIATUS||

“Oh, sweetie!”
Cue in my mother to come barging into the scene and start squeezing the oxygen out of my soon-to-be-wife’s body.

 

“I am so happy. So happy!” Oh God, here we go… “Mother…mother...mother! You’re cutting off her air supply! I actually intend to keep my bride-to-be alive, you know!” I hissed under my breath. My mother giggled. "Okay, little one, I won’t hog your wife all to myself no matter how adorable she is," she said. I rolled my eyes. I watched Amber smile awkwardly and couldn’t help shaking my head with a little laugh at the epitome of cuteness before me. “Congratulations, dear. You have no idea how thrilled I am. You know, I always knew you were the one for my Krissy. It was way too obvious right from when he handpicked you to-----“

“Mother, why are you here?” This woman just doesn’t shut up, does she?!



“Oh, right.” Madam Wu adjusted her white coat and clutched onto her handbag tightly before giving me another look. “Dad and I wants to talk to both of you about the wedding. Isn’t it exciting?!” she squealed at the word wedding. Oh God. Amber’s eyes widened ever-so adorably. 'You bish, I did not sign up for this,' she told me through her eyes. 'I had no idea either, yknow,' I looked at her back. Yeahp, we're psychic and can read each other's minds. "Remind me to kick you where it hurts after this. Hard." she leapt up to whisper on my ear. I pouted and her lips curved upwards, amused. “O-of course, madam!” Amber stuttered. Mum smiled widely.

"Let's go and leave this boring anniversary party. Your dad should be at the restaurant on the ground level," she grinned, pulling my Amber along as if she was her Amber.

 



"Hey, wait for your son!" I called, just in case she forgot I existed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 



"Do you want salmon or eel?" I asked. "I heard pregnant women are really sensitive to what they eat. I don’t want you to be shooting frisbees at me for making you eat something you don't like." No answer.
"Amber...?"


She was hiding her face behind the napkin, looking around cautiously all ninja-like. Erm.
“Quick, help me get outta here,” Well, that was unexpected. "What?" I raised a brow. "You don't want to meet your future in-laws?" "Ha. You think they'll let me live?" she said. "Erm, and why the hell not?" I questioned. "Oh my God, do you not watch dramas at all? Haven't you seen Boys Over Flowers?"

Dot dot dot.

"You seriously haven’t?!” her eyes went as wide as saucers like I’ve been living under a rock all these years for not knowing. “Okay, so there’s this pretty and nice girl called Jandi  who’s also the daughter of a dry cleaner. Heck, she's even talented at swimming, but Junpyo's mum still hated her because apparently, she didn't deserve her of a hottie son played by Lee Minho. Why? Because their levels are different, just like me and you,"

Dot dot dot.

"Let's order chicken teriyaki anyways 'cause I'm not sure if uncooked stuff is good for the baby," I said, shifting my attention back to the menu.

"Kris, you mofo, I need to get outta here-----!"


 

 



"Oh, there they are! Aren't they perfect, love?"


Did...Amber just call me by my first name?

 


I heard chairs being scraped against the floor and I looked up to a bowing 90-degree Amber. "Good evening, Mr. Wu," she said in professional secretary-mode. "Uh...good evening, dear. Please, sit down. Why so proper?" a low, awkward laugh filled the emptied restaurant. Oh? My parents are here.

Amber scratched the side of her head before awkwardly sitting down. I chuckled. Does she know how cute she is right now?
"Hello, son," Dad raised his brows at me knowingly, and then, he looked at Amber for a split second before turning to me with a very discreet, not obvious thumbs-up. I smirked. "Hey, dad."

"Did you kids order yet?" Mother asked. "Erm, no, not yet, Madam," Amber kept her head down. Lesighs. "Kris, don't be stupid and order for your fiancée," Mum ordered me nonchalantly. Wow.  "Okay, okay," I muttered. "I WAS in the middle of ordering if you hadn't come in and interrupted my brain waves with dad."
Mum tsk-ed before beaming at Amber.



"So, you're the girl our son is completely crazy for?" Dad said before turning to me, "Nice job, son." I tried not rolling my eyes. Yes, father, I know she's beautiful, but you are embarrassing me. "Isn't she lovely, dear? Amber's been Kris' secretary for five years now," Mum wrapped her fingers around Dad's arm and smiled. "Oh, really? Sorry, Amber. If I wasn't overseas all the time I would've gotten to know you better," Dad said. "Oh, no, it's fine, sir! Really!" Oh, look at Amber blush! She's so cuuuute. If my parents weren't here, I'd be spazzing like heck. “Oh, don't be modest, dear! Amber’s the one who organizes all the functions as well. Your son just signs it off." "Wow, mum, you make me sound useless." I muttered. "Pretty and smart?! Dear, you are wasted on our son." Saay whuut. "Dad, I thought you were on my side!" That traitor! "Definitely. Kris is too boring and stupid."

"Harsh," Okay, I'm getting worked up now.

"Yes, he doesn't go out at all. When he was in school, he did nothing but study. Now that he's working, he does nothing but work!"
"Dad, please stop talking," Are they trying to scare Amber off?!
"Yeah, it's like he's some kind of robot or something. His idea of fun is not fun."
"Mum, stahp eet!" I exploded.
They all turned to me with raised brows. I cleared my throat.

“But, that's just the usual Kris in front of other people. When it comes to you, Amber dear, he's like a completely different person. He smiles, he's warm, he's happy. That’s why I am SO glad you're both getting married. I'm shipping you both 'til the end of time!" My mother tried to salvage it but I wasn't sure it'd work. Amber laughed prettily. "Shipping, madam?" she found the term hilarious. “Yes, shipping, you know? Amris or Krisber? Which do you like better?" Mum flashed her white pearls at my Amber. "Mum, cut it out!" I muttered under my breath. "We're not one of your precious Kpop idols." She just ignored me. Okay. Amber snorted in an unlady like manner which I always loved about her, and my parents found it funny.

 

 

 


"Well, whatever. I think we should start talking about important stuff," Mum said, waving a hand dismissively in the air. "Important stuff?" I echoed, turning to Amber. She shrugged a bit, looking confused too. "I'm talking about the wedding, silly!" Mum laughed. I turned to Amber and it was writen all over her face: 'KRIS, WHAT IS THIS?'

"No, mum. We haven't discussed about the wedding yet," I said. "What? What are you talking about? Oh, son, you are too slow! Don't worry, we'll discuss it now. Mama will make everything better. You and your pretty fiancée won't need to worry about a thing. Just focus on making yourselves look pretty and loving each other to death, okay?" she grinned. I could see Amber wanting to say something but before she could, I held her hand firmly. She looked up at me and I gave her a small smile. She looked away, her cheeks turning pink. Haha, cute. "Ma, we kind of want to talk about it together first. Just the two of us." I said.


"But-----"
"Dear, it's late already. We should let them talk it through. It's their wedding, afterall, not yours." Dad placed a hand on both my mother's arms. As expected, dad's always so cool.
"And you're keeping us in on the night of our wedding announcement too. Young couples need together time. Not good, mum," I shook my head. Mum pouted at both of us in surrender. "We just wanted to give our blessings to you both," Dad said, smiling more at Amber than me. It's cool, she needs reassurance that we won't be the real-life Junpyo and Jandi.



"Thank you, Madam, Sir," Amber hung her head again. “Oh, stop it with these ‘madam’, 'sir' words! It’s ‘mum’ and 'dad' from now on, alright, our pretty, soon-to-be daughter-in-law?” Mum blinked her thick, mascara-ed eyelashes at her.
I frowned. "Mum, don't force her to-----"
“Okay...mum and dad.”
I couldn't help but smile like the idiot I was. It sounded nice to my ears and it felt good inside to hear her call my mother her mother. Mum laughed and nodded with a gentle smile. Dad grinned too.

They were happy. They were both really happy. They were happy for me, they were happy for Amber and they were happy because it’s Amber. To everyone else, my parents were a power couple. Mum was a super model on top of being the daughter of the oh-so powerful Jiang Yaofei who owned several five-star hotels around Asia a.k.a. my grandfather. Dad was the only heir of the International Wu Enterprises. But what they didn't know was that my parents were both on crack, figuratively speaking. They were just your normal, everyday husband and wife slash crazy parents. They're crazy and drive me nuts but at the end of the day, I still loved every bit of them.

 


And it really meant a lot to me that they loved her too.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



“What are you thinking of?"


I took my eyes off the road for a split second to look at Amber sitting next to me. She was looking out her window at the bright lights of Seoul. "Nothing. I'm just...wow. Your parents were like, uber happy." “Of course they’re happy. Their only son is getting married. What did you expect?” I laughed. “Uhm, I dunno, name-calling, hair-pulling, water-splashing-on-the-face, ‘you’re-not-good-enough-for-our-son-and-our-billion-dollar-fortune’ speeches?” she said. Okay, this is one of the reasons why I love this woman. She raised a brow at me because at that point, I just couldn’t contain the LOLs anymore. “I'm surprised you actually have time to watch so many dramas when you always work." I shook my head with a smile. "Ohmegosh, how freaking hilarious." She rolled her eyes. I shut up.
 


"But still, you shouldn’t have lied to them like that. They're gonna know sooner or later, you know. And they were so nice to me too," she sighed, looking out. I tilted my head in confusion. "You know, the whole 'not marrying for love' thing." She turned to look at me and it all made sense to my brain.
"Oh, you're talking about the baby!" I said, my hand reaching out to caress her faint baby bump with a smile. If you didn't know just how flat Amber’s tummy normally was, you'd never suspect she was carrying another life inside her. "You don't think they already know?" Amber flinched and her jaw dropped. Oh come on, she’s still uncomfy with me touching her? "Uhm, what? So you mean they know?" she gasped. I nodded with a smile. "Well then why were they acting like we're getting married because we're madly in love with each other?"
Because I'm madly in love with you.

No, not yet, Kris. Now's not the time.
I took her hand and kissed it. "Come on, I’ll take you home."

 

------


"Nah, let's drive around for a while. I don't wanna go home yet. I'm too scared to face the wrath of the Laynicorn." I said, looking at the old lady selling goguma at the side of the street. I don’t know what's worse; telling him myself or him confronting me about it. Ergh, headache. "You're worried about Lay?" I raised a brow. Uhm, is it just me or was my boss' voice was stinging with jealousy just now? WTF. "No kidding. Last night I clearly said I wasn't going to marry you and now...ugh. Whatever. Please delete everything I've just said for the last five seconds from your brain forever. Thank you."
"No, I wanna hear it all."
He pulled the car over at the side. Uhm...

"You hesitated at his proposal, didn't you?" he narrowed his eyes at me. I blinked at him a few times and gave him my 'WTF' face. "I don’t think that's really any of your buisness, sir," I told him just because. "The heck it is, now that we're getting married." I just...snapped.
"Thanks for reminding me," I said.




WAAHPOW! My iron fist of doom landed right on his left cheek exactly where I meant to hit it. (oh yeah) “What the hell was all that about?” I'm obviously referring to the whole public announcement of our marriage just a few hours ago. “Do you know what you’ve just done? How are we gonna get out of this one now, Sherlock? Oh my God, I can’t even-----What will K Group say about this? And what about Miss Kwon? Do you remember her? You know, your real fiancée. Oh my flipping galoosh, she’s going to hate me. Of course she’s going to hate me. I’m the who stole her boyfriend away. She’s going to gather all her underground mafia minions and get me murdered and skinned then my lifeless body thrown into the river while they bring her my head. Oh God, oh God, oh God…”
Let me just go to my corner and cry.



“Amber, you’re not a and you’re definitely not going to get murdered.” Kris laughed because he obviously thought I was trying to be funny. He held both of my hands in his. I see he has recovered from my iron fist. That was quick. Maybe I didn’t punch him hard enough… “You’re just saying that to make me feel better. It’s not gonna work because you can't sugar-coat the fact that I'm a and about to go six-feet-under,” I fake sobbed. Huhuhu, my life is over. My bestfriend will hate me and I just made a beautiful, rich heiress into my archnemesis.
“Amber, stop calling yourself a female e.”
"But it's the true, you know. I'm like a home wrecker." I said matter-of-factly.
"How are you a home wrecker when you were already my home to begin with?"
Erm, okay. Heart, please kindly STFU.



“But I already dumped you, you know," Oh, I was starting to rage again. "You do realize that outside Wu Yifan's world, ‘no’ actually means ‘no’, right?” I punched his chest but it was a lame one. “Well, you were right. The last thing I need is an illegitimate child.”

It felt like someone just took my heart right out of my chest then beat the crap out of it. Oh bliss.
“Oh, haha, I see. Of course that’s all there is to it. Why did I even ask? Heheh."

“Hey, wait, that’s not what I meant-----“

 



"In any case, I'm not accepting this marriage, sir. I’m sorry. I don’t care if you fire or sue me; I'm not going to voluntarily sign a marital agreement just for the baby. I love this baby I'm carrying, but I think I should love myself as well, and you should love yourself too." He narrowed his eyes at me."What are you saying?" he croaked...like a toad. I took a deep breath before looking at him.

"I'm not marrying you."
Damn, I choked a bit.
"Having a child to raise together is easier than making a loveless marriage work, Mr. Wu. Trust me."

"Hah, 'Mr. Wu'? Hey, Amber, we're having a baby soon. Are you still planning to call me 'sir' even after we're married?" he was obviously forcing a laugh. "I told you I'm not marrying you. You're ignoring me," I rolled my eyes. "It's because your argument is invalid," he snapped back.
"Why? Do you love me, Kris?"




 

 


 

 

 


"I thought so."
I got out of the car with difficulty. I couldn't breathe all of a sudden.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Word count     2,671

 

(A/N) Can you keep up with Amber's mood swings? ;D LOL

She ish shooo shtubborn.

Sorry for not updating for ages, huurhuur.

WHAT AM I DOING HERE I SHOULD BE STARTING MY CHRISTMAS FIC IT'S FLIPPING NEW YEAR'S EVE ALREADY EERGH

Oh yeah.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE, PEEPS!

Hope 2013 is kind to all of us and gives us lotsa Krisber perfness. ;)

Bye now. :)

note: gif is completely unrelated. I just wanted you to bask in Song Qian's prettiness. the video below, however, is very VERY related and is my late Christmas seonmul to you guys. Yay.