c h a p t e r 2

Please, marry me❣ ||HIATUS||

“So?” Krystal bit her lip, expectantly looking at me. “U-uhm…” Suggestions on what to say in awkward situations like these, anyone? Wait a sec, what the hell am I saying? Awkward is such an understatement. “Amber, come on, you’re killing me here. Talk to me,” she said. I know, Krys, I’m trying but obviously, no words are coming out.



I’m… I’m…


I’m pregnant.

 

 


Damn. That’s real heavy. Wait; just give me some time to let it sink in. I’m pregnant. I’m carrying a life inside of me. There’s an actual human being swimming around in my stomach. From now on and for the next nine months, I’ll be eating, drinking, sleeping and living for two people. And after that…my life isn’t just mine anymore. I have to keep living and working and not just for my sake. I have to make sure my baby will grow up well and healthy. I have to be strong so I can protect it; be its shield from the rest of the world.


 


It’s official, guys.


I’m having a baby.


 



“Ugh, whatever. I’ll just-----“ Krystal gave up already and she left me sitting in a daze. She stomped to the bathroom like she owned the place. I swear, Lay will be flipping tables when he finds out Krystal didn’t use the bathroom slippers he bought especially to be worn in the toilet only because apparently there are millions of germs in toilet surfaces and it spreads around fast and I mean really fast which can cause a lot of sicknesses that I can’t pronounce because they’re all in like, Swedish or Greek or Latin or something and they all end with –ia but anyways the point is it can eventually lead to death, which of course, is not at all too good, but that’s beside the point. “Holy mother father…!”



Okay, so she’s seen the two red lines.




Krystal comes running out of the toilet like a retarded duck. “Oh my God, Amber, you’re…you’re really pregnant?!” Well done, Krys, here’s an imaginary trophy for you. One would think that the whole ‘sitting in a daze’ thing was already a dead giveaway but no apparently it’s not. She’s so dense. But then again, she was the one who suspected I was pregnant first… Whatever. “But you’re not even seeing anyone! How the hell is this possible?” she cried. I couldn’t tell if she wanted an actual explanation or if she was just asking hypothetically so I just said nothing. I buried my face into my palms. My eyes started hurting and before I knew it, tears were coming out. Ugh, so annoying. “Amber…” I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder and Krystal pulled me in for a hug. I’m not into the whole skinship thing too much but at that moment I really couldn’t believe how much it actually comforted me.



“I’ll…I’ll be fine,” I sniffed, wriggling out of her hug. “Of course you will. I’m here for you. You know I love you, ,” she smiled. I laughed and rolled my eyes, and then pulled her hair because that’s ‘I love you too’ in my language. “Ouch…” she pouted. I clasped my fingers together. Nothing’s going to be the same now.

 



“But Ambie, I-I know this might be a bit eerrgh to ask and you might not even want to tell me but…I mean…I was wondering…who's-----?”
“No, Krystal. It’s my baby only. It’s just mine. I’m not sharing it with anyone.”
Krystal clenched her jaw and sighed. “Okay then. I won’t ask.” She said quietly.



 

 

 

 

 

 

“Heeeeey, party people!”


Oh my flipping God.


 


“Lay, you dork!” Krystal threw the first thing she could get her hands on towards the unicorn. Thank God it was a pillow and not a sharp object or else…whoo. “Amber, your unicorn is here. Aren’t you going to give daddy a hug?” Uhm, no. I kept my head down. What’s wrong with me? Why can’t I look him in the eye? Why do I feel so embarrassed in front of him? It’s just Lay. He’s just my flatmate/bestfriend. So why couldn’t I…?

Krystal, I noticed, started looking at the floor too. How funny. The floor was the most interesting thing on earth for both of us. This has got to be the most awkward atmosphere the three of us had ever been in.




“Okay, who died?” Lay sighed, putting his bag at some random place which is a surprise because Lay likes to keep things tidy and I was usually the one getting told off for being too messy. I would’ve said ‘Hah! Zhang Yixing, you pig! Pick your things up!’ like he always says to me but I wasn’t really in the mood then, obviously. “N-no one died…” Crap, I stuttered. I cannot go on like this. “Okay, then what’s wrong? Is there a problem?” Lay plopped to sit next to me. “E-erm, kind of…” , Krystal was stuttering too.

“Someone tell me what the heck is going on or I won’t be cooking for any of you freaks tonight. Go, shoot,” he said. Silence. Once he realised the food threat’s not working, Lay started getting nervous. I would've too. “What’s wrong? I’m being serious,” No , Sherlock. You sound so serious it’s scary. I took a deep breath.

 

 



“I’m pregnant,” I said.

 



Silence again.


 


“Y-You’re-----“

 

 

 

 

 




Lay walked out the door with a slam.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 






“You called for me, sir?” She entered the office casually with a smile, without any awkwardness whatso-freaking-ever which, as you can imagine, annoyed me like heck.
 


“Yeah, I asked for the Chen files,” I glanced up at her like everything was all rainbows and sunshine because that’s what she asked of me two weeks ago. It’s the least I could do for her. Although, I’m not sure how long I can keep pretending. “Oh, right! Sorry,” she muttered, almost face palming herself. I can’t help myself. She’s so cute. “I’m so sorry, Mr. Wu. I’ll go get it now,” she said. She would’ve turned to leave if I hadn’t stopped her halfway.

“Amber, you might want to take these with you too,” I said, holding up the wrong files she dropped off 15 minutes ago. Her eyes widened. “O-oh, right…” she mumbled, looking down at the ground, embarrassed. Is she…flushing? I felt weirdly happy. It was retarded to feel happy because of that, I know, but still. She’s flushing, which must mean that I don’t completely mean nothing to her, right? It was enough for me at that time. Although, I’m not sure how long that would last too.

She walked slowly towards me and I noticed she was swaying from left to right. “Amber, are you-----?“ She started gagging. “I’m sorry, sir-----I just-----“

 



What the hell?


 



She desperately ran out of the office and all I could remember was thinking of nothing but trying to grab hold of her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




Amber!”


For flip’s sakes, stop following me!

 



I turned around slightly and, yup, my boss was still running after me. I didn’t realise until afterwards that it was the first time in five years that I’ve actually seen the man break a sweat because all I felt like doing then was puking. I didn’t even give a flying flip even when everyone we passed in the building started staring and gossiping about us. I can't really blame them though. Like heck, Managing Director Wu was running after his secretary who has decided to completely ignore his calls of "Amber", "Wait" and "Slow down" for galoosh only knows what reason.

Ugh, this whole pregnancy thing is not a joke. Like, for reals. I was not having fun at all. I turned to my left and I could swear the sign on the door that said ‘Women’s Toilet’ was glowing with angelic grace and sparkling with glittery, magical pixie dust. My life is saved, people!




I lunged towards the door and frantically threw myself at the nearest toilet bowl. Aaaaaaaand out it goes. Everything, I mean. And when I say 'everything', I mean everything I ate since this morning. All of it was vomited into the then-oh-so-clean toilet bowl. I feel so sorry for the cleaning lady. She is such a nice woman. I know so 'cause I usually talk to her for no reason when I'm waiting up for boss late into the night. Cleaning lady-ahjumma, please forgive my baby who does not accept Lay's bacon and eggs breakfast that he cooked for me this morning.



I ripped some toilet paper from the toilet paper dispenser and wiped the sides of my mouth with it. You might think it’s disgusting or whatever, but I don’t care, okay? Better than having white bits of what was breakfast that had been in my tummy for the last three hours linger around my lips…ew.



I hate pregnancy. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. “Ugh, baby, come out already,” I muttered under my breath, rubbing my tummy. Like that’d help. It hasn’t even been a month yet. Haha, I'm so funny. Oops, I almost forgot to flush the toilet... “Amber, what did you just say?”


 

 


Shiiiiiiit.
Don’t tell me that’s…


 



“M-Mr. Wu,” I squeaked. I squeaked. I flipping squeaked. Damn. Someone shoot me now. Wait no, scratch that. I have a baby inside me.

 



“Are you okay?” he asked, crouching down next to me and my back gently. He frowned as he watched me gasp for air like I’d just outrun Usain Bolt. Now that would be epic. “Yes, sir. I’m fine,” I failed at trying to laugh. I mean, how could a laugh come out anyway when I felt like utter crap? “Amber, is there something you’re not telling me?”



Oh no.

He didn’t hear me talking to baby, did he? I gulped and bit my lip slightly.



"No, sir," I lied. "Can you at least look me in the eye while you're saying that?" Damn it. How does he know I can't lie straight into someone's eyes? I'm in deep-----Ugh, fine. I looked up into his pretty eyes and then all of a sudden my tummy started doing flips and turns. It's probably just the baby. Ha. Haha...ha.



"Sir, you're...kind of in the women's toilet," I laughed nervously. Take the bait, Kris Wu. Take the bait. Take it, take it, take it----- "Amber, I don't think I can keep pretending nothing happened." Oh he is such a drama queen. Sure you can. Look at me. I'm doing fine and I'm the one pregnant here. "So...what do you want me to do?" I asked quietly. "Should I leave the company?" Don't be shocked. I was meaning to ask anyway. Okay, maybe I wasn't meaning to bring it up this early because I actually thought it'd be a good idea to work a couple of more months to, y'know, save money and stuffs before the baby arrives, but this could work too. My belly's gonna keep getting bigger and bigger and soon, people will begin to notice. He will begin to notice, and I don't want that.



"No, don't leave." Geez, okay then. Uhm. Why did it sound like there was desperation in his tone of voice? Aaawkwaaard. "Amber, you don't understand. I don't want to pretend that nothing happened." Damn. That made my heart flutter for a moment there. "Well, I do." I told him. "As a matter of fact, I've actually been thinking of-----"



My phone started ringing. Perfect.



Kris just stared at me and I stared back. "I should get that," I said, taking the phone out of my back pocket. OMG, I just realised. I was sitting on the women's toilet floor...leaning on the toilet bowl...with my boss who's practically telling me that he doesn't want to forget the night he gave me my baby. If that's not awkward then I don't know what is.



"Sup, Stal," I said. I stared at Kris. Isn't he going to leave? "Amber, don't utter a word or I will shoot I swear to D.O.G." Dafuuq. "What the heck?" I said blankly. "Get out of the toilet now. I repeat: get out of the toilet now," What the actual hell? I looked around for a sec until I realised that the imbecile was standing right outside the toilet with oversized sunglasses on to cover her face. She waved at me. This retard. Urgh.



"Eeerm, sorry, I kinda...have to go," I mumbled slowly, getting up from the floor. "But I-----"

"Okay, cool, bye."

I can't believe I just disregarded my boss.

 

 

 

 



I left the women's toilet and immediately Krystal hooked her arm against mine. "Here," she said, passing me a can of orange juice as I walked off hazily. I felt really high then. In fact, I felt so high that I didn't even notice people were staring. "Thanks," I muttered, gulping the cold juice down. Hmmm, tastes like tangerines... Krystal is such a nice friend. She knows exactly what I want and even leaves her work to come find me at work to drop it off. So kind.

"Wait, what are you doing here anyways?" I paused to look at her incredulously. "Eerm, it's lunchtime and we were supposed to eat together?" she said. Uhm. "It's lunchtime now?" "Oh right. Psh, I knew that," I totally lied. This whole pregnancy thing is making me really incompetent. "Sure you did, sweetheart." I decided not to say anything because I'm the bigger person. Loljokes, I just couldn't be stuffed arguing about stupid stuff.




"It's him, isn't it?"
"Hm?"
"Your boss. He's the father of your baby. I heard your toilet talk. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I swear." Dammit, Krystal, I might as well just give you a megaphone to make your life easier because apparently shouting it to the rest of the world was not enough. I looked around and by some twisted up reason no one seemed to catch that. "Nope. I told you already, it's just my baby and I'm not sharing it with anyone." I said. We reached the elevator. She kept quiet for a while.


"I totes get that, Am, but don't you think he at least deserves to know about-----?"
"Nope, he doesn't and neither does Lay. You can't tell anyone, Soojung. You have to promise," Krystal may be a retard sometimes, but I've known her long enough to know she never ever breaks her promises. Krystal sighed heavily.

 

 

 

"Okay. I promise."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Word Count    2, 410 (whoo that is a lot of words)

 

(A/N) Ew, so much drama, lol.

I'm feeling dramatic today.

I swear it'll get fluffier.

/pinky promise

Just bear with me for a while. :)

 

Ooh, and thanks for not leaving me even though I've been so bad at updating lately /sob sob/

 

 

Thanks for reading!

Here's a pretty, smiling Kris because I love you.