Chapter19

Brightness Of The Dark

“Looks like you’ve weaken a lot, princess” Hae Won focused on Young Saeng “Especially since you have that Dragon Knight with you”
Jae Ji had her back facing Hae Won, but she didn’t intend to turn because she doesn’t want Young Saeng to see the bloody scene behind her. Young Saeng saw the blood on and wiped it with his thumb, ignoring Hae Won’s presence. Blood slowly flowed down Jae Ji’s back, while she endured it and showed no signs of pain.

“What happened, Jae Ji? Why are you bleeding?” Young Saeng asked quickly
“Because,” Hae Won answered behalf of Jae Ji, who is suppose to be the only person who can hear Young Saeng through their conversation “She was unable to protect you and herself against my attack”
Young Saeng looked back at Jae Ji with a questioning look, whilst she still continued holding on to Young Saeng tightly around his waist, firmly. She, knew the reason why.

That attack Hae Won launched against her was with the help of the power of an earth wizard, who is Jung Min this time. Hae Won is a speed mage associated with the souls of the wind. Firstly, because of her fast and smooth movement, limited mages can avoid her magic or even sense it. Second, Jung Min is an earth wizard, and they’re in the woods, making Hae Won’s magic even harder to sense.

Although Jae Ji was able to sense the attack before it had reached them, but there wasn’t time for her to summon her staff. The magic was directed at Young Saeng. Jae Ji knew that. That was why the only thing she could do was to take the attack instead of Young Saeng, because Young Saeng wasn’t strong enough to actually survive that attack. On the other hand, there was something else about the attack too.

A highest level poison spell is placed with it using Jung Min’s magic. This spell will cause the victim to have periodic bleeding and his/her magic will weaken for a certain amount of time. Other than that, Hae Won also sealed a powerful wind soul spell within it which cannot be broken easily. The spell will be able to make the victim to under the caster’s control using the souls of the wind. It is a 100% effective spell once the victim is hit by the attack, however it’ll take some time before the victim is fully under control, and there has to be a sacrifice.

That was the reason why Hae Won could hear what Young Saeng said. Jae Ji wasn’t sure of the sacrifice Hae Won has for that spell, and the answer could only be known once she is totally under Hae Won’s control. It can’t be Eun Kyung and Kyung Min, because they’re too weak to be the sacrifice. The sacrifice has to be a large amount of power, and Jae Ji is certain Hae Won wouldn’t use her own powers to sacrifice. So it must be someone else’s powers.

“Where’s…Jung Min?” Jae Ji asked immediately after her thoughts
“Oh you missed your dear cousin? What about these 4?” Hae Won revealed out in magic barriers, were 4 people, familiar to both Jae Ji and Young Saeng, too familiar.
They were. Hyun Joong. Kyu Jong. Hyung Joon. And Min Young. Jung Min had appeared beside Hae Won, with a smile different from before. Jae Ji could sense the presence of these 5 people she knew, and this answers her own thoughts from before.

She has to find a way to get Young Saeng away safety, before she gets controlled by Hae Won. But, Hae Won knew her intentions, and as expected, she wouldn’t allow that to happen. What Hae Won had in her plan was different. She don’t want just a simple procedure where Jae Ji would get Young Saeng away and then just end up under her control without any excitement. She, wanted thrills.

A signal from Hae Won, and Jung Min started charging towards Jae Ji and Young Saeng. Jae Ji had sufficient time to summon out her staff and defended against Jung Min’s blow of physical attacking, while her left hand secured Young Saeng around his waist together with his hands beneath her arms. A flash of light went through Jae Ji’s eyes, and a blasting of magic sent Jung Min flying backwards, hitting the ground with huge impact. Blood oozed out from Jae Ji’s back, and a sharp pain went through her body.

‘20% under control’
Jae Ji reminded herself of the time she have left, to make sure Young Saeng survive through both before and after she’s under Hae Won’s command. The more magic or strength she uses, the more the pain is, and the faster the wind soul spell will progress.
‘Protecting Young Saeng is the priority’ Jae Ji told herself firmly

Hae Won had not interfered with the fight between the cousins, but only standing there with the others, watching the show. Jung Min was targeting Young Saeng, as ordered by Hae Won. Although Jae Ji could move fast due to the certain darkness, Jung Min was swift in his movements in the woods too, even faster than Jae Ji by a bit. While moving area to area as fast as possible and also supporting Young Saeng beside her, Jae Ji’s bleeding increased a lot faster, which means, the faster she’ll be fully under Hae Won’s control.

‘50%’
By now, Jae Ji received even more damages on her arms and legs, since she isn’t suppose to lay magic on Jung Min, so that right after the wind soul spell is complete, Jung Min could protect Young Saeng together with Min Young. Young Saeng couldn’t do anything, but watch. Watch while Jae Ji took the damages that couldn’t be avoided. Watch while his heart bled along with Jae Ji’s injuries. Watch while the time is ticking…and each moment the minute hand moves, the sooner Young Saeng wouldn’t be able to see the Jae Ji he is staring at right now.

‘90%’
Jung Min continued attacking physically and Jae Ji continued defending, as drips of blood fell one by one on the ground. After another blast from Jae Ji, Jung Min was reordered by Hae Won. And this time, it made his eyes smile devilishly. With a sudden boost of power, Jung Min transformed his staff back to its original form, and almost immediately a huge amount of magic was released all at a go, flying towards Jae Ji and Young Saeng. Together with that bolt of magic, Jung Min was coming for them with his sword-formed-staff.

According to her calculations, Jae Ji knew by the time Jung Min reaches them the wind soul spell would be complete, and if she is still holding Young Saeng, she’ll probably be controlled by Hae Won to bring him back together. And Jae Ji couldn’t let that happen. Pulling Young Saeng urgently to a kiss, a passionate one, and then releasing it unwillingly, Jae Ji placed an instant protection barrier on Young Saeng, before she lets go of him. She stepped back a step, while looking into Young Saeng’s eyes which was filled with questions. Young Saeng grabbed hold of her yet only the fingertips, with watery eyes that pleaded her to stay.

“I’m sorry… Remember… I’ll love you… Jagiya”
With the last word, Jae Ji turned reluctantly and flew towards the other direction, where she’ll collide with Jung Min. The moment when she left, more blood dripped down, staining the ground with redness. Young Saeng noticed something and upon looking down, he discovered the truth. Jae Ji had told him about this spell, so he has knowledge on their opponent. He looked at the direction Jae Ji flew to, under his breath he said, “There’s… nothing to apologise jagiya… I love you… and I’ll… definitely wait for you…”

An explosion of magic was heard afterwards, followed by a shadow of someone rushing towards Young Saeng. Before Young Saeng could see who it was, another explosion happened right in front of him, but he was protected by someone who defended him in front.
“Hyung! You alright?” a familiar voice was asking Young Saeng
Young Saeng looked in front of him, and saw that playful dongsaeng he knew from before turning back his head and looking at him with an assuring smile.
“He wouldn’t be alright after I recover from your irritating yet pathetic poison spell” another familiar voice was heard, yet who is a stranger to Young Saeng too

The mist from the explosion cleared, and it revealed clearly the person standing in front. That girl Young Saeng understood so clearly of. That girl Young Saeng had given his heart to sincerely. That girl Young Saeng had kissed and hugged ardently, passionately, desperately. That girl Young Saeng was memorized by her eyes which were gentle snowflakes of the night. That girl Young Saeng connected with through melodious music of them both. That girl Young Saeng had given his love, his everything to. That girl is this girl, yet now they’re totally different. This girl is a girl Young Saeng had only met for the first time. A girl who had a snowstorm raging in her eyes. A girl Young Saeng felt afraid of for the very first time in his life, with that same face that had said Saranghaeyo Jagiya to him just a while ago.