Cake Solves Everything

So I've Heard

A/NOkay so this is really weird because I haven't updated this story since May last year, can you believe? And I suddenly went insane and wrote a bunch of chapters which I will upload soon, deciding to revive this story. I'm sorry for the massive one year gap, but I just couldn't write anything between then and now, and I'm really glad that I feel like I can come back and write the ending of this story (which, it won't be ending for a while I don't think lol, but I am really looking forward to writing it all). SO, um, here it is, and feel free to throw a brick at me for leaving this so long. OTL

(Complimentary bricks)

Thank you for anyone that's still interested in reading this story, and if the writing style is different, sorry ;; but it's been so long and I'm trying to get back in the swing of this story. Anyway, onto the chapter!! (Also wtf I almost have 800 subs?!?!)

 


 

Cake.

It was always the cake that resolved everything in the dramas, Kyuhyun realised. He was not called the king of dramas for nothing, and he knew exactly what to do to make this whole situation blow over.

The one who had done something wrong would give the other a homemade cake and the two main leads would make up and hug each other while expressing their feelings then kiss—well not kiss in Kyuhyun’s case.

Totally not.

Nope.

Because he and Sungmin were platonic bro pals who platonically were dude friends who were having a friendly fight. Kyuhyun pushed those strange thoughts aside and ran his finger down the menu, eyeing each cake carefully. Homemade kind of was the keyword in the whole thing, but Kyuhyun cut himself a bit of slack considering the last time he cooked… well, he may or may not have left a plastic bowl on top of the stove and melted it and almost burnt the kitchen down. The food went with the bowl, too. The point was, nothing good ever happened when Kyuhyun cooked and he adamantly avoided it at every cost. He thanked his lucky stars that Ryeowook was here to cook instead of him, the maknae.

He paused over a pink, strawberry cake. Sungmin loved pink. And strawberries. It was like all his answers had come together in the form of a delicious pile of sugar. Kyuhyun laughed haughtily to himself and stuck his nose in the air in triumph. He was amazing. How could Sungmin be mad at him after delivering this deliciousness straight into his arms?

 


 

Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun, who was holding the circle of delicousness, coldly through the mirror, his hair being tousled with and styled for stage by some lady Kyuhyun didn’t even know the name of. He was unspeakably jealous—totally just because Sungmin wasn’t mad at her, definitely not because he wanted to be in her position or anything. Nope.

“I don’t want it.”

Kyuhyun stared into Sungmin’s fox-like eyes blankly. This totally wasn’t going to plan. Sungmin was supposed to take the cake and start crying and then they would forgive each other and skip onto stage like a happy couple (of friends, Kyuhyun’s brain amended).  But no, Sungmin was outright rejecting him. He didn’t plan for this. He didn’t even think up a plan B like usual because he was so sure that everything was going to go well and Sungmin would get over whatever he was brooding about, but no.

“But…” Kyuhyun said, looking like a lost puppy. He pushed the cake closer to Sungmin, hoping the smell would waft and waver him to take the cake.  “Cake.

“Yes I can see that,” Sungmin deadpanned. Although Sungmin was acting so dismissively, Kyuhyun could see his nose twitch as the smell of cake reached him. He was tempted, yes, but would he take it?

“So you don’t want it?”

“No.”

“But why? I bought it for you and it’s pink and has strawberries. I don’t even know why you’re mad at me in the first place!

Sungmin narrowed his eyes and sniffed in irritation. “That’s why I won’t take it, you idiot.”

Kyuhyun stood there for a moment with nothing to say. Sungmin was irritated, yes, but at what? Kyuhyun knew it was something he had said, but to be fair he said a lot of things and Sungmin’s mind was like a puzzle piece missing the corners. He had absolutely no idea where to start making this better, or even what the picture was supposed to be. He had all the pieces in his hands but a blank mind.

So, Sungmin wasn't going to cave for just one measly cake. Kyuhyun realise he needed to do something stronger. Maybe he needed to offer him different kinds of foods and drinks until Sungmin finally cracked and his plan succeeded. 

So he moved onto his next tactic. Coffee.

Coffee all sugared up always made everything better.

 


 

It went on like this for days. Kyuhyun sprung up at every opportunity and tried to force some delicious food into Sungmin’s hands in some kind of strange forgiveness ritual. But, to Kyuhyun’s irritation, absolutely nothing worked. He even enlisted the help of his other members who spilled all of Sungmin’s favourite foods and drinks with a pat to Kyuhyun's back, but still, nothing worked.

He was getting desperate at this point, and the days until they left China for Japan were dwindling. If he didn’t get Sungmin’s forgiveness soon, he would probably request a room change and sleep with someone else when they arrived in Japan, and that was just not going to happen, he decided. Sungminw as his roommate, not someone else's. As it was, Sungmin was opting to spend every moment he could with everyone else in the band and not with Kyuhyun which was totally unacceptable. He only ever came back to their room to sleep these days.

 


 

“No Kyuhyun, I don’t want your ravioli,” Sungmin sighed, sounding bored, inspecting his fingernails while waiting on the couch for the stylist to be done with Eunhyuk.

Kyuhyun looked up to the skies, as if they would open up and give him all the answers he needed to make this better. It had become ritual that every time before they went on stage that Kyuhyun would give a peace offering to Sungmin, and he would reject it.

The stylist, having finished, awkwardly tapped Sungmin on his shoulder, looking completely out of her element and a little bit worried at having to burst in on the argument. “Um, Sungmin-ssi, we have to do your makeup. Are you not sleeping well?” she asked, casting a quick, almost accusatory, glance at Kyuhyun, which he was completely offended by. “Your dark circles are becoming quite prominent.”

If one was looking, which Kyuhyun was, they could’ve seen the twitch of irritation in Sungmin’s eyes. And if one knew Sungmin as well as Kyuhyun did, they would understand he was trying to hold his emotions in.

And then, something in Kyuhyun’s brain clicked on.

 Oh.

Oh.

Sungmin was mad because Kyuhyun made a few little comments about Sungmin needing a little make up here and there to cover up his face. While Kyuhyun thought his comments weren’t really that bad, Sungmin seemed to have taken them to heart. Everything began to make sense in Kyuhyun’s head. He just needed to compliment him and things would turn for the better. One insult solved by one compliment, and BAM, their friendship would be back to normal in a matter of seconds. Kyuhyun gave himself a pat on the back and walked off smirking and giggling to himself, much to the confusion of Sungmin. It was a bit creepy.

 

Excellent, Kyuhyun thought, smirking to himself. This is a plan that cannot fail.