Chapter 27

Exoergic

 

In the hallway, Lay, D.O., and Baekhyun were making quick work of the huge pile of spyware. There were cameras, recorders, heat-seeking devices, a few small  bombs, and other things.

Lay sighed, “Most of these things are virus-holders. Good virus-holders.”

D.O. sighed, “Thank God we checked the rooms first. If I had even sent a text message, my phone would download a million viruses and never work again.”

Baekhyun nodded, “This isn’t good. If they have this kind of technology, then we’re dealing with smarter people than I thought.”

Lay hummed in agreement, “I wonder what they’re trying to figure out. I mean we don’t have anything valuable. Except a few weapons maybe.”

D.O. looked thoughtful, “Maybe they just want to keep an eye on us. I mean it would make sense for them to block us from getting information because I mean we are the agency’s top spies.”

The other 2 spies nodded and they worked in silence for a few minutes, pulling things apart, rummaging around, reassembling insides, and piecing them together again.

20 minutes later, Luhan exited the room, sitting down gingerly and picking up a medium-sized box. D.O. and Baekhyun shared a look and Lay smirked, “You done, satisfying Sehun’s curiosity?”

Luhan smirked back, “At least for the next hour and a half, yes.”

D.O. and Baekhyun snickered and the group of geniuses talked about random things.

 

Soon the topic changed to a more serious one; relationships.

Baekhyun sighed and set down the heat sensor in his hands, “Guys, he just doesn’t want kids. And I’m scared that he’ll never want to settle down. What if he’s perfectly happy with just being lovers? I don’t think I want to stay in such a mediocre relationship for the rest of my life.”

Luhan patted his thigh, “Don’t worry, I’m sure Chanyeol is going to realize that he has all he needs in this relationship. You can’t pressure him though, he’ll settle when he’s ready.”

Lay nodded, “Luhan’s right, Baek. When he’s ready, he’ll come to you.”

Baekhyun pursed his lips as he picked up another device, fiddling with it, “I know, I know. But it’s been almost 5 years now. How much longer should I have to wait?”

D.O. tossed aside another virus-holder, “Well… How much longer were you planning on waiting?”

Baekhyun looked down, eyes watering a little, “I was going to give it a few more months. I’m ready to settle down and if he can’t deal with that then I should let him go.”

It was silent as they all continued working.

 

In Lay’s room, Kris and Chanyeol were also having a serious talk.

“Man, I just don’t think I’m ready for kids.” Chanyeol was sitting on the edge of the bed, elbows resting on his knees and fingertips pressed together tightly.

Before Kris could respond, Lay opened the door and blew him a kiss before winking and shutting the door. Kris smirked before getting back to the matter at hand. He turned to look back at Chanyeol, “Well, I think you should talk to him about it. I mean, you aren’t getting any younger and I’m sure he’s looking for a title better than ‘lover.’”

Chanyeol gave a frustrated sigh as he flopped backwards onto his back, staring up at the ceiling.

“It’s already been 5 years! What if I don’t change? What if I decide to not want to raise a family?”

Kris sighed as he sat down heavily next to his distressed friend, “Well then you should let him go. You can’t hold him back from what he wants.”

Chanyeol huffed, an arm raising up from his side to drop down over his eyes, “What if I just want him? Why can’t I be selfish? I don’t want anybody but him.”

Kris nodded as he looked at the floor, “I really think you 2 should talk about it. I mean, if he really loved you, he’d take into consideration what you want.”

Chanyeol was silent as he thought about it. Maybe he would have to talk to his lover about their situation. Maybe they could postpone the family-starting for a few years. He sighed, or maybe Baekhyun would break it off, having had enough of the boyfriend status.

This was such a mess.

Kris changed the topic to a lighter one, well a lighter topic to him, “Have you upgraded your weapons yet?”

Chanyeol laughed softly, Kris sure did love weapons. He shook his head, “Not since last month, man. How many weapons you at now? Last year it was 300.”

Even though he couldn’t see it, Chanyeol knew Kris was smirking.

“Well, for the past 11 months I’ve been on 14 missions and I’ve collected a few… Souvenirs.”

Chanyeol sat up and looked at him, watching him with skeptical eyes.

“….I’m at 973 now.”

Chanyeol shot up on his feet, eyes wide as he stared at the taller man, “No way! What’d you do?! Collect a weapon from every person you killed?!”

Kris was silent as he sheepishly rubbed a hand through his hair, “And I bought some too.”

Chanyeol’s jaw dropped, what in the Hell was wrong with this man?!

“You can’t be serious! Did you really steal weapons? From dead people!?

Kris was still quiet and Chanyeol shook his head, “Man you have a serious problem. Where are you storing all that?”

Kris shrugged nonchalantly, “I bought some storage spaces, scattered all over the world.”

Chanyeol didn’t know how to respond to that. His best friend bought storage spaces, and if Chanyeol knew Kris, he knew that he probably bought one in every country on the planet, and each was no doubt packed wall-to-wall with nothing but weapons and arsenal. Kris was no doubt only counting the big weapons he had, surely not wasting time trying to remember how many small and unnoticeable weapons he had.

Chanyeol shook his head as he headed out of the room. Kris and Lay really are a match made in heaven. Kris loved his weapons and Lay had more hi-tech gadgets than the amount of people in their agency.

He headed out of the room, ignoring Kris’ confused calls. Chanyeol closed the door softly behind him and sat down next to an unsmiling Baekhyun.

Baekhyun looked up when he felt someone sit behind him and scoot forward so he was in between their legs. He smiled when he looked over his shoulder to see a grinning Chanyeol wrapping arms around his waist.

Chanyeol sighed dreamily as he nestled his face into Baekhyun’s shoulder, ignoring the ‘aww’s’ from the other 3 men.

“How’s your back?” Baekhyun asked as he continued working, the small smile on his face being replaced with a worried frown.

Chanyeol paused, he’d forgotten all about that. Maybe if he pretended to be sick, he could get some alone time with Baek and be pampered and spoiled. He seriously contemplated that idea until Baekhyun playfully slapped his thigh, chuckling, “And don’t lie to me either.”

Chanyeol sulked quietly before answering. Baekhyun could hear the pout in his voice, “Fine. I’d forgotten all about it.”

Baekhyun nodded, the small smile returning to his face.

The 4 men tech-genies continued to work and make small talk as Chanyeol sat quietly, chin now resting on Baekhyun’s shoulder as he watched his lover work.

It was nice and peaceful and Baekhyun felt that in that one moment, his life was perfect.