Chapter 43

Exoergic

Lay groaned as he rolled over in his bed and looked at his clock. 8:37 AM. Sighing, he climbed out of bed and stretched, smiling softly when his back popped a few times. After getting in the shower and dressing, Lay fixed himself a small breakfast of granola and yogurt before going to his hideout to pick his weapons.
After selecting his favorite weapons, Lay hurried out to his rental car and packed the suitcases into the trunk.

On his way to the airport, his phone rang. He sped through an intersection as he answered, “Yeah?”
Baekhyun’s voice came through the line, “D.O’s been hurt. Everything’s been put on pause for a few days until he’s gotten better.”
“And how long is ‘a few’?”
“Suho said 4 days tops.”
Lay frowned deeply, what the hell could’ve happened to put D.O on hold for 4 days?
“OK. Does everyone else know?”
“Everyone but Kris, but we’re just assuming he’ll fly to Oregon and we’ll tell him then.”
Lay nodded to himself, “OK. I need to get ready for my flight as well so I’ll call you later.”
“Ok, bye.”
Lay hung up the phone and typed out a quick text to Kris, pressing send just as he turned into the rental car parking lot. 

Kris sighed as he stepped out of the shower. He’d overslept so now he was running late. He was mentally kicking himself as he rushed out of the hotel to his rental car. How could he have overslept? He never overslept! 
Now, Kris was starting to think that maybe he wasn’t just naturally tired on the plane ride. He ran a tired hand through his hair as he read Lay’s text before checking all his things. He couldn’t help but wonder why he was suddenly so tired and if that tiredness would randomly come back at the worst time.
Pushing those thoughts to the back of his mind, he made his way to his rental car and put his suitcases in the back seat. When everything was in order and he’d checked out of the hotel, he drove back to the airport to catch his flight to Oregon. 
At the airport, just as he checked his rental car back in, Kris got the sudden urge to call Suho and make sure everything was still according to plan. 
Instead of picking up on the first ring like he usually would, Suho picked up on the third ring. Kris frowned, “What happened?”
Suho sighed deeply on the other end, “When we got home, there was a heat-seeker waiting. We found the beacon in time but we couldn’t get far enough so we ended up ditching our car. Unfortunately, D.O. gave himself a concussion rolling out of the car. We’re going to have to postpone this mission a few days.”
“How many is a ‘few’?”
Suho inhaled sharply, “4 days.”
Kris closed his eyes and took a deep breath, thankful that he’d decided to sit down before calling Suho, “That’s fine. Does everyone else know?”
“Yeah, but Lay wasn’t able to cancel his flight so he just switched it to Las Vegas. His plane should be touching down in an hour.”
Kris helped up his wrist to check his watch. 10:07AM. He had an hour before his partner would land so he decided to walk around the flashy airport in search of a decent breakfast restaurant. 

Baekhyun breathed in deeply as he woke up. Chanyeol was weirdly curled around him, his deep snores making Baekhyun’s hair ruffle slightly. Baekhyun sat up slowly and slid out of the bed, making his way to the bathroom. 
Once he finished brushing his teeth and washing his face, he went to the small table in the room to order himself breakfast. He went through both his and Chanyeol’s phones and checked for any hidden spyware while he waited for his food to arrive. He put down Chanyeol’s phone to answer the door and smiled at the boy who handed over the tray of food. 
After setting the food down, Baekhyun rummaged through his bag in search of one of his own inventions. He found it and beamed before heading back to his plate of food. The gadget was a regular sized thermometer with a hand-held device with a screen that took up most of the front of it. It had taken Baekhyun 3 years to gather all the information on as many poisons as he could find to make the gadget. It was his very own taste-taster. 
First, Baekhyun stuck the tip of the thermometer into the glass of orange juice. The device hummed to life and the screen flashed a dim lime green before a handful of bars popped up. Each bar loaded at different times and once a bar was fully loaded, another bar replaced it. After a few seconds, there was a soft beep and Baekhyun pulled the gadget out and checked the screen. Seeing no signs of harmful substances, he wiped it off and stuffed it into his food. 
After checking each different food on his plate and the butter and jam for his toast, he wiped off the thermometer. The only suspicious looking thing he’d found had been in the eggs but Baekhyun wasn’t a fan of eggs anyway so he dumped them in the trashcan with a disgusted face. 
Baekhyun sat back down and finished checking Chanyeol’s phone while he ate. 
He was half-way through his meal when he heard a groan. He turned to see one of Chanyeol’s eyes peeking at him from under the blanket. 
Baekhyun snorted, “Well if you’re hungry…”
Chanyeol groaned louder and pulled the blanket back up to hide his eye. 
“Baek,” he whined, “why are we up so early?”
Baekhyun shrugged one shoulder as he chewed. Chanyeol huffed before shoving the blanket off and sitting up. 
“Well, can you at least give me breakfast in bed?”
Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he picked up his plate and shuffled to the bed, placing his cup of juice on the bedside table and handing Chanyeol the plate before sliding under the covers. 
Chanyeol lay on his side and cuddled up to Baekhyun, opening his mouth expectantly once he was comfortable, “Aah.”
Baekhyun sighed heavily and speared a piece of bacon with his fork before holding it up in front of Chanyeol’s mouth. Chanyeol leaned forward and clamped his teeth down around the fork, grinning evilly as his teeth scraped the utensil when he pulled back. Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, unamused. 

By the time Lay’s flight touched down in Las Vegas, Kris had already bought 2 plane tickets to Idaho Falls. He knew Lay would be a little pissed since he wouldn’t get to rest between flights but he’d get over it. 
Lay walked out of the terminal and looked around. He saw Kris standing a few feet away with a frown on his face. Lay slowly made his way over to his partner and looked up at him, raising an eyebrow as Kris did nothing to greet him. 
Kris finally cracked a smile after 20 seconds of tense silence. He held up a tulip, “Hello.”
Lay snorted as he took the flower, “What’d you do?”
Kris gasped, “Why would you think I did something?”
“Last time you gave me something, it was a stuffed animal because you knocked a Baekhyun-sized hole in my wall trying to install a TV.”
Kris chuckled, “Well we may or may not have a flight to Idaho Falls in 2 hours.”
Lay groaned, “And why is that?”
Kris smiled sheepishly, “I need to get some more things.”
“And you have a safe-house in Idaho Falls because…?”
“I like the scenery.”
Lay sighed so heavily, Kris worried if his lungs would pop. 
“Fine. But you’re going to get my stuff.”
Kris smiled, “Fine. Let’s go.”
They stood silently as they waited for Lay’s luggage. When they had both suitcases, they went to check his things back in before going to get lunch. 
As they ate, Kris kept an eye on the people around them while Lay told him of what he did to the government’s systems. 
Halfway through Lay’s story, he stopped and eyeballed his partner. Kris stopped scanning the area to look at Lay, “What?”
Lay put his fork down, “What happened?”
Kris’s eyebrows furrowed, “What are you talking about?”
“Something happened either on your flight or when you got off the plane. Judging by the way you don’t have any marks or signs of physical damage, you didn’t encounter anything. And since you aren't as alert as you usually are, I'd say it happened on the long flight because that’s how long it usually takes any type of poison to set in. So either tell me now or I will perform a full body evaluation to see what’s wrong.”
Kris sighed, “Really, it’s nothing. I fell asleep on the plane and I’ve been a little tired ever since.”
Lay stood up quickly and walked around to Kris’ side of the table. 
Kris leaned backwards in his chair, trying to get away from his partner’s reaching hands. Unfortunately, he didn’t have far to lean unless he tipped the chair back so Lay quickly grabbed Kris’ face and yanked it towards himself. 
Lay used both hands to pull Kris’ left eye open, “When did you start feeling sleepy?”
Kris continued to struggle against his examining boyfriend, “Um…I’m not even sure. All I remember is sitting down then and buckling up then waking up when we landed.”
Lay pursed his lips together as he switched to Kris’ right eye and looked into it. “Did you use the checker?”
Kris tried to blink, groaning when Lay didn’t let go of his eyelid, “Yes, I used it. It didn’t show anything so I’m fine.”
Lay rolled his eyes as he held up his finger, “Follow my finger.”
Kris huffed. 
A fist slammed down onto the table, "Damn it, Kris! Look at it!"
Kris stayed quiet as he watched the finger slide from side to side. 
Lay muttered to himself as he watched his boyfriend’s eyes, “Delayed reaction by .007….”
He pinched his boyfriend’s neck, scowling when Kris glared at him, “Reflexes dulled to simple acknowledgement….”
Kris let his head drop to rest on the back of the chair as his partner pried his mouth open and checked his tonsils. 
When Lay finished checking Kris’ mouth, he pulled back and dropped a quick peck on his boyfriend’s mouth, “You’ve been sedated.”
Kris sat up straight, almost knocking his boyfriend out of his lap, “What?! But I thought you said that thing-"
"Sorry if we were too busy trying to include every illegal substance in our databases! Do you know how many substances are banned in some countries but not in others?!" Lay snapped back as he stood up and walked back to his seat. 
Kris took a deep breath, "I'm sorry. I can't even begin to think of how long it took you guys to make it. Let's just finish our food and go wait for our flight. 
Lay nodded, "We'll need to go to a drugstore first. I have to get a few things to clean that out of you." 
Kris gulped, none of the concoctions needed to clean systems were attractive or tasty. 

He checked his watch, “Ok, we still have an hour.”
Lay nodded again and reached out for his fork. Kris did the same and they finished their meal quietly. 
At CVS inside the airport, Kris watched as Lay walked around the small pharmacist section and grabbed random bottles before they paid and went to find their terminal. 
After finding seats, Lay popped the top off of a bottle of suspicious looking amber-colored liquid and poured in half of a bottle of a suspicious looking light blue liquid. Kris's face contorted in disgust as the result swirled into a muddy brown color. After adding a few more substances, the color still hadn't changed from the murky brown. 
Finally, Lay popped the top off a small bottle of Pepto-Bismol. Kris felt a small tinge of hope as he saw his partner dump the cotton-candy pink substance into the sewer-water. When the bottle of Pepto-Bismol was empty, Lay put the top back onto his concoction and began shaking it. Kris sensed a huge weight flying off his shoulders as the concoction turned pink. As Lay shook it more, it turned clearer and clearer until it looked like water. 
When Lay was satisfied with his creation, he handed the bottle over, “Be careful, it may look like water but it’s as thick as pure honey. Drink only half.”
Kris gagged as he grabbed the bottle and unscrewed the cap. He glanced at his partner warily, “Bottom’s up.”
Holding his breath, Kris tipped the bottle back and poured half of the bottle’s contents into his mouth. He gulped once, managing to swallow it all. Lay handed him a can of ginger-ale to wash the taste out of his mouth, “You shouldn’t feel any effects until we land. I want you to sleep on the plane.”
Kris nodded and Lay headed to the bathroom to dump the rest of the bottle. 
Almost as soon as Lay was out of his sight, Kris noticed a woman sitting right inside his line of vision. She was wearing sunglasses and obnoxiously bright red lipstick. She also was staring right at him. Kris narrowed his eyes and sat up straight, mentally daring the woman to try something. 
She crossed her right leg over her left. To a normal civilian, it would seem like she was making herself comfortable but Kris knew better than to let his guard down. He pulled his phone out and began typing out a description of the woman. 
After a few minutes, Lay returned and plopped down next to his partner, "What I miss?"
Kris shrugged before tilting his screen so Lay could read it. Lay read it quickly and snorted, "I wonder if their first training rule is how to dress suspiciously in public."
Kris chuckled as he tucked his phone back into his pocket. They sat in silence until their flight was called. 
The woman's eyebrows furrowed when she saw her targets get up to board. Kris smirked at her before following his partner to the terminal.

 

 

A/N:

 giphy.gif