Chapter 24

Exoergic

The men headed back upstairs to Lay’s old room. They situated themselves around the room so they could talk about the meeting.  

“Well one thing’s for sure, we need to go along with this so we don’t raise suspicion.” Kris began.

Baekhyun spoke, “But this could mean a lot of things. It could be a trap.”

Chanyeol piped up, “Or someone could be testing us? What if they want us to identify it as a fake?”

That got everyone thinking of the hundreds of possibilities. The silence was cut by a phone ringing.

D.O pulled his phone out of his pocket and put it on speaker. “Yes Ryeowook?”

There was a sigh, “I’m assuming you all have been given a group mission as well.”

Everyone’s eyes widened. Maybe this wasn’t the anti-spies.

Ryeowook spoke again, wiping away all doubt, “The only correct piece of information you received is the group part. I don’t know what your mission is, as there are too many higher ups to get through, but I do know that the point of all of you meeting in Taiwan is 100% accurate.”

Lay nodded, even though Ryeowook couldn’t see it. Ryeowook sighed again.

“All the agency’s groups have been reassembled so don’t worry, that part is true. Whatever your mission is, as your superiors, we advise you to go along and try to stop the anti-spies.”


It sounded like he had more to say but stopped himself. D.O put the phone close to his mouth, “What is it Ryeowook?”

Ryeowook took a deep breath, sounding on the verge of tears. After a few seconds he finally spoke.

“They almost killed Shindong and Leeteuk. Both seem to be recovering but Shindong is in a coma and Leeteuk is fading in and out constantly.”

Everyone’s eyes went to Chanyeol, who was close to Shindong. He was staring, unblinkingly at the phone.

Ryeowook took another deep breath, “Sungmin and Donghae are also in the hospital, Sungmin was shot 3 times in the shoulder, chest and leg. Donghae wasn’t far enough away from an explosion so 75% of his body is damaged, he’s been put into a medical coma.”

Everyone in a breath. No words were spoken for what felt like an eternity.

“Like I said, as your superiors, we advise you to try to take them down… But as your friends, we advise you to stay as safe as possible. We can’t afford any more incidents like this.”

He sounded so broken and upset that everyone was shocked. Ryeowook was a very strong person, they had the proof. To hear him sound so fragile and vulnerable was almost too much to bear.

“I just wanted to inform you. This is why most of your superiors haven’t responded to any messages. We’re trying to assess all the damage. A few of our facilities have been destroyed so we have been a little busy.”

Everyone’s eyes widened. How much information was being kept from them? What was going on?

Nobody wanted to ask Ryewook for any details so D.O quickly said goodbye and hung up the phone, turning to look at the other spies.

Kris’s eye brows were pulled together as he glared at the floor, “Ok something isn’t right. There are buildings being taken out and yet no one decided to inform us. Something is seriously wrong.”

Suho rubbed a hand over his face, “Well this person must be way more powerful than we initially thought. And there has to be at least hundreds of traitors if there have been building destructions.”

Everyone was silent. There was something off. Something that didn’t fit with all this new information.

“You think these anti-spies are just a cover for something going on on the inside?”

They all looked at each other. As of right now that was the only thing that made sense.

Luhan spoke, “Well if we think about this, that makes perfect sense. Ever since Soo Man left, there has been an exponential rise in suspicious activity. Do you think maybe he’s working with someone still here to bring the agency down?”

The accusation hung in the air, almost suffocating them. Soo Man was a wonderful leader of the agency. It was his will to create it and under his outstanding leadership, the agency grew to be the largest, most well-known organization with the best trained spies the world had ever known.

It still didn’t explain why he would but, it would explain why it was happening.

Chanyeol huffed, he could feel a headache coming because of the endless possibilities so he stood up, “I’m going to tuck in early. All this assuming and questioning is getting to me.”

Usually, someone would have cracked a joke about him not being used to thinking but the situation was too serious so everyone said their goodnights and headed to their separate rooms.

Kris and Lay were silent as they got ready for bed. Kris watched Lay turn the lights off before slipping into bed, Kris wrapping his arms around him and pulling him close.

Lay breathed in Kris’ scent. He always smelled so good. It was silent as they both tried to sleep.

“What are you thinking Xing?” Kris always knew when Lay was thinking.

Lay sighed, “Something tells me that there’s way more to this than I thought. Soo Man left on good terms with everyone but one person, his successor. He retired and he even checks in with us every now and then. Something’s not right and I’m pretty sure we know who’s behind it all.”

Kris furrowed his eyebrows, “Youngmin? But that would cause more damage than good to him since he’s in charge.”

Lay shook his head, “Not if he’s running this anti-spy deal as well. If that organization is as big as we think it is, then Youngmin is making twice as much money as he would if he was running our agency solely. And if he was making that much, then he could expand that organization and shut this one down.”

Kris lay there as he took all of that in. It made sense. Suspiciously, it made more sense than the idea of Lee Soo Man trying to destroy his own company… He sighed as he pulled Lay closer into his chest, “Let’s just sleep for now. We’ll talk to the guys about it tomorrow.”

Lay snuggled into Kris’ chest, smiling softly. It took a few minutes for them to fall asleep, but eventually they did, dreaming about the future and what the results of this new mission would be. 

 

A/N: I know, I know. I'm a horrible person. How could I go from updating almost every day to updating every few days?! Feel free to stone me... I hope this is a little longer to make up for it. I'm still working extremely hard to add some length to the chapters so the story won't have 80 chapters. It's getting harder because the closer I get to the end (which is still 25 chapters away don't worry) the more i think about the sequel and side stories and other stories and just ugh *flings self off a cliff* btw feel free to ask questions because this fic isn't like those movies where the spies unknowingly go along with the enemy's plans because our boys are smarter than that (i'll explain in the next chapter, or on the blog if i can't fit it in the storyline) hope you like it!! 

Quick question though, is this a good length for the chapters or should it be longer?

Much love muchachos <3