Rules of the Game

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

"I heard you are going to try again, Angel." A nonchalant, voice purred into the Grand Hall as a black-haired figure strode into the hall slowly.

"Devil. What are you doing here?" Eli asked in the same nonchalant tone, already fully aware of the answer.

"Aww, don't call me that. I'm so hurt. I do have a name you know." Dongho snickered as he reached the centre of the Hall. He snapped his fingers and a throne of black onyx appeared, facing the 5 thrones of white diamond, where Soo Hyun, Hoon, Eli, AJ and Kevin sat, all glaring daggers at Dongho. Dongho sat down and crossed his legs elegantly. Resting his arms on the arms of the throne, he tilted his head slightly and regarded Kevin, who was sitting at the far end of the row of 5 thrones.

"Fine. The rules remain the same. You cannot force the girl to do anything she does not want to. If she completes the 7 tests that you have set, she is ours." Eli spoke sharply, his power sparking angrily in the air around him.

"Relax, Head Angel. When have I ever forced them to do anything against their will?" He smirked before getting up to leave. With his back turned to the 5 of them, he suddenly said. "But I have a condition too. If Kevin fails again, he has to fade." Dongho heard the other 4 stand up in anger and protesting angrily. But Kevin's clear voice cut through the commotion.

"Yes, I do agree. After all I did promise you 100 years. Any more or less won't make a difference." Surprised at his announcement, Dongho turned back to face the Angels. "You mean it? You are willing to fade? But your Council will collapse without you...But all the better for me then!" Dongho chuckled as he left the room.

"That Devil! He'll regret it!" Eli fumed as he watched the Devil leave.

But no one could do anything. It was the Rules of the Game. The original Council of 5 Angels had been created at the beginning of time, and so had the Devils, Dongho and Kiseop. Every millennia, each Angel had to find a human to love and would love him back. If pure love could be established between the two, the human would be brought back to the Angel's star, Emeryx, to be an Angel, albeit one of lower rank. The memories of both Angel and Human would be wiped and stored in the Hall of Memories so that they could perform their daily activities without the hindrance of love. It was cruel, but it had to happen otherwise the Angel would fade, the Council would be weaker, and the Devils would take over. Of course, in order to hinder the Angels, the Devils also had a say in the Rules. They said that a human would not be fit to be an Angel unless she lacked the 7 deadly sins. The Angels had agreed to test the humans accordingly. So far, for the past thousands of millennia, all Angels and humans had succeeded and passed the tests. But Kevin's human, Avery, was the first that didn't.

"Promise me you will try your best, Kevin" AJ turned to Kevin, a worried look overtaking his face. "I promise to find a better human this time around. I am so sorry. It was my fault the last time. Avery was a mistake. Just promise me that you will try!"

Kevin nodded silently. He never blamed AJ though. But for the sake of his brothers, he would try.