Ice-cream, ice-cream, all around

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

"Sniff... sniff... He...hello?" Charlotte said in a rough, low voice as she held the handphone in one hand and a thick wad of tissue in the other. It was a week after the first day of school. Because she had forgotten to bring an umbrella to school yesterday, she had ran home in the rain and caught a cold. The house phone was ringing repeatedly for 15 minutes, Charlotte was home, sick, and Soo Hyun was in school. Unable to stand it, she had plodded down in her pajamas, hair all mussed up, nose red from the cold, eyes teary.

"Charlotte? Is that you?" A familiar, deep, soothing voice asked.

"Eli? Are you looking for Soo Hyun?" Charlotte sniffed.

"Yeah, I heard he won the Math competition and me and the guys wanted to go over and celebrate. Are you alright?" Charlotte could hear Eli's smile over the phone and sneezed.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Just caught a cold last night. Soo Hyun has some last minute soccer practice until 5 tonight."

"Can I still come over? Let's eat some ice-cream! I know you like it right? Screw the cold, let's just have fun! Ok, I'm coming over!" Eli rambled on, not allowing Charlotte to cut in and then hung up.

"Eli..." She tried to protest, not in any mood to entertain guests, but Eli had hung up. Shrugging, defeated, she sat on the couch, hugged a pillow and waited, watching some television in the meanwhile.

*DING DONG*

Charlotte arranged her messy hair as best as she could and went to open the door.

"Charlotte! Wow! You must be really sick!" Eli's loud and bright personality filled the hallway the moment she opened the door. Enveloping her in a big, crushing hug, he walked into the house and made his way into the kitchen, talking the whole time. Rolling her eyes, she closed the door behind her, smiling. She felt as though she had known the boys her entire life and had gained 3 extra brothers, not counting Kevin... She blushed slightly at the thought, then shook her head to clear her mind and trailed after Eli into the kitchen. Sitting on the kitchen bench at the table, she watched Eli as he unpacked loads and loads of ice-cream, not really listening to what he was saying.

"...so I heard that ice-cream MAY cure colds so I came over! Eat as much as you want!" Eli stopped talking and beamed happily at her, pushing over one tub of ice-cream and a spoon. He pushed up the sleeves of his turtleneck shirt up to his elbows and leaned forward, giving her a hopeful smile. Slightly dazed, she started eating.

---

EARLIER

"Eli, I need you to do this for me." Kevin spoke mentally to Eli across the classroom during the last period.

"Anything, man," Eli replied, his eyes fixated on the irritating math problem in front of him.

"Charlotte's caught a cold, so since Dongho can't get into Soo Hyun's house because of our spell, and Charlotte's too sick to leave, I want to carry out the second test today." Kevin said firmly.

"Really. Fine, I suppose we must do something before Dongho does, huh?" Eli raised an eyebrow and said. "So what's next?"

"Gluttony. And I have the perfect plan." Kevin turned to Eli who turned at the same time and they shared a sly yet mesmerizingly angelic grin.

---

"This is incredible! I feel like I could eat this forever!" Charlotte exclaimed, her eyes wide as saucers as she ate her second tub of ice-cream and looked at Eli with a innocent smile.

Eli watched as Charlotte continued eating. As she started on her 3rd tub, he started to feel nervous. None of them knew how much would cause her to fail the test of gluttony, but they couldn't stop her either. Eli furrowed his brow and bit the corner of his bottom lip as he watched the girl eat.

"That's it! I'm done! I want to eat more, but I figured that I must leave some for the guys, so I'm going back to sleep! Bye Eli! Feel free to wait around till Soo Hyun's here" She smiled and stood up after eating the 3rd tub of ice-cream. Walking up the stairs, she felt a physical attraction to the 7 other tubs of ice-cream on the table, but she shook off the feeling and plonked herself on the bed.

---

"Oh my goodness, I thought I was going to die!" Eli's face was a picture of relief as he slumped onto the refrigerator. His hands shaking from the pent-up nervousness as he pulled his cellphone from his back pocket and dialled Kevin's number.

"Yah, she only ate 3. Did she pass?" Eli said in a shaky voice that was completely out of character for him.

"AHHHH! Ouch, well, yeah, she passed! Good job! That was an easy one!" Kevin, whimpered in pain as the red mark appeared above his ankle Charlotte test 2 - Gluttony, PASSED

"Easy one? Easy for him to say. I almost had a heart attack!" Eli muttered as he pulled himself to his feet, and stuffed the remaining ice-creams back into the fridge and left the house.