Lies and truth

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

1 week later

"Kiseop! The essay that you did for me was fantastic! I got an A for it, wow! Ms Chan never gives As, but she totally complimented me in front of the whole class! At this rate, I think i can pull my overall grade up to an A! Thank you!" Charlotte whispered excitedly to Kiseop as she slipped in the seat beside him as Biology was about to start. "I'm so glad for you! So, do you want me to help you with your next assignment?" Kiseop whispered from the corner of his mouth as his eyes were glued to what the teacher was writing.

"That wouldn't be too nice, would it? After all, it is my homework..." Charlotte hesitated, but her mind told her to just let Kiseop help her. She needed an A for that paper desperately, and somehow, she couldn't find the time to study for it. Kiseop, reading her mind, smiled to himself and reached over her to pick up her bag. Ignoring her weak protests, he rummaged through it until he found the question paper, waved it in front of her eyes triumphantly and then tucked it into his school bag. Charlotte could only smile in relief and in gratitude as she focused on the teacher in front of her.

"Kiseop."Dongho's familiar black scrawl appeared on Kiseop's clean manuscript paper.

"Brother! Aren't you busy?" Kiseop wrote quickly underneath the black scrawl in an elegant, cursive hand.

"Yes, but listen to me. Now that everyone from the First 7, except you, is not on Earth, take this opportunity to trap the girl. Try lust, greed, pride or envy on her, anything that will make her fail. You have only a week left."

 "I understand." Kiseop concluded, closing the manuscript book before Charlotte could look at what he was doing. Tapping the book twice with his finger inconspicuously, the 4 lines of conversation faded and returned to its original clean slate.

"Alright class, so the Biology project for this week will involve some research. I want you to work in pairs, so after you've decided on the pair, do come and tell me. You have 5 mins to do so now." The biology teacher announced to the class. Without warning, Kiseop grabbed Charlotte's hand and raised it straight up in the air. "Teacher, the two of us are in a pair for this assignment!" Kiseop grinned happily. He turned to Charlotte who was slightly shocked and smiled brilliantly.

Oh dear, he seems so happy! But I don't want him getting the wrong idea about me either... Charlotte thought miserably as she watched Kiseop skip out of the class.

---

3 days later

"Charlotte? Can you come over to my house? We still have the Biology project to do remember? Alright, here's my address, so come over at 3 alright?" Kiseop passed Charlotte a slip of paper containing his address and how to get there during lunch. The two of them had gotten much closer as friends over the last week, and sat together during all their classes and even during recess.

"Mm hmm, ok." Charlotte agreed, looking distracted as she piled all the rubbish on her tray and stood to leave the canteen with Kiseop.

At the end of lessons, Kiseop went home without her first because she still had a teacher to meet.

---

"Oh dear! 3.30? Mr Lim sure had a lot to say about how well I did in my recent test...!" She grumbled, rushing out from the teacher's office, glancing at her watch while digging for her handphone in her bag.

"AHHH!" Charlotte collided into something solid and warm and fell backwards, landing on her behind, painfully. Standing up, she saw the redhead that she had bumped into. Smiling gently, she brushed herself off and reached out a hand to help the girl stand. She recognised the redhead from some of her classes and remembered her as a shy but brilliant girl.

"Thank you, I'm so clumsy these days," The girl mumbled as she took Charlotte's hand to stand up, trying to scoop up all her books, papers and files at the same time, not looking at Charlotte. When she was done, she looked up at Charlotte and gave a brilliant scream, taking a step backwards, tripping over her feet and falling down again.

"What? Is something wrong?" Charlotte, startled, tucked her hair behind her ear, bent down and started helping the girl pick up her books.

"No...no...n..o... I...I'm fine... Please, I'm sorry, don't hurt me! I promise never to be in your line of vision again!" The girl blurted out hurriedly as she tried to scramble away from Charlotte.

Confused but angry now, she held on to the shoulders of the trembling girl who was clutching the books in her hands so tightly that her knuckles turned white, and refusing to meet Charlotte's eyes. "Why would you say such a thing? Why would I do that? Who has been saying such horrible things about me?" At the last sentence, tears filled up Charlotte's eyes and her voice trembled in sadness.

Surprised, the redhead looked up at Charlotte who was trying not to cry. The redhead's voice became soft and her tensed body relaxed. Charlotte pressed her hands to her eyes, trying to will herself not to cry.

"I'm sorry, it's just that I've heard some rumours about you and well... They're not very pretty. But you seem very nice, so..." The redhead started, putting one sympathetic hand on Charlotte's shoulder as she cried. Looking up from her hands, Charlotte gave the redhead a hopeful, teary smile and said "Renette, right?"

Renette nodded and pulled out a tissue from her pocket, offering it to Charlotte. Charlotte took it gratefully and they both walked out of the school compound, to a nearby coffeehouse to chat. It turned out that Madison had been spreading lies and rumours around the school about Charlotte. They included many, many lies and untruths about her. Some said that if you even touched her, she would get her 7 boys to come and destroy your life, family and relationships. Thus everyone in school feared her. Throughout the conversation, Charlotte, cried at the unfairness of the situation, laughed at some totally ridiculous accusations and slowly became good friends with the kind, funny and gentle Renette.

By the time they were done, the sun had set and the sky was tinged purple and pink. Birds could be heard in the distance as the cool night breeze blew at the trees and the leaves at their feet.

"But you're new here right?" Charlotte asked as they walked home together. They apparently lived one street away from each other. Renette nodded and said that she had moved here a week ago and was relatively new at the school and neighbourhood. They reached Renette's house first, and Charlotte waved excitedly as Renette went in. Still smiling happily, she turned around to walk back to her house, her hands stuffed in her coat's pockets as the night wind whistled in her ears.

"Oh! Charlotte, wait!" Renette called out as she ran towards Charlotte. Charlotte turned in mild surprise. "Here, this is for you. It's a protection charm, to protect you from evil. Haha, it's just something i learnt and made from google, but I thought it looked pretty and I give it to all my friends! So here you are!" Renette flourished a beautiful chain bracelet with a single black onyx stone dangling from it and helped Charlotte put it on her right wrist. The moment the clasp clicked shut, Charlotte's face went blank and a dazed look overcame her face. Almost as fast as it came, the blank look disappeared and she heard Renette ask "Charlotte? Do you like the bracelet?" She looked up and saw a happy smile on Renette's face and pulled the petite girl into a hug.

"Thank you Renette, it's beautiful. Also, thank you for being my friend!" Then she released the blushing girl and waved happily before turning and walking away for the second time. That was weird. I feel different, but I can't explain how... Charlotte rubbed the back of her neck in slight confusion as she made her way back home.

---

"Oh!" Kiseop gasped once and blinked furiously, feeling his spell being broken. He frowned, knowing that Charlotte must have had a protection charm on her. But who gave it to her? Also, she didn't turn up for the meeting at his house. It was 7pm now and it didn't seem like she was going to turn up anytime soon.

His frown deepened as he poured away his specially brewed coffee down the sink. Kiseop watched impassionedly as the coffee that was laced with an aphrodisiac potion hit the sink, fizzled and gave off a pale pink smoke before disappearing down the drain.

Damn, if only she came! She would definitely have failed the test of lust if she drank my aphrodisiac potion. She would fall in love with the first person she saw, which would be me. Nevermind then, another day... Kiseop sighed as the last of the coffee ran down the drain. He rinsed the pot and then continued on to bed, preparing for the last 4 days before his brother's and the Angel's return.

---

"Someone forgot something." Kiseop whispered huskily into Charlotte's ear as he walked past her to sit on her table, his dark, mysterious eyes looking at her with interest. She stopped packing her bag and books in her seat and looked up, her eyes wide as she remembered their prior arrangement to meet at his house the day before. "Oh, I am so sorry! I totally forgot! Alright, how about today? Later on?" She smacked her forehead, a guilty smile on her face.

Kiseop eyed the bracelet on her wrist thoughtfully. "What's that?" He asked, nonchalantly, gesturing towards it. "Oh this?" Charlotte replied, clinking the metal chain around. "My new friend, Renette gave it to me! She's new here!" She grinned happily.

"Whatever, so I'll meet you later alright?" Kiseop raised his eyebrows in mock reproach as he got off her table, allowing her to sweep the rest of her stationery into her bag. Waving, he strode from the classroom, his hands pushed into the pockets of his grey jeans.

Stuffing all her mess into her hands and bag, she stood to leave the classroom. "Charlotte!" She turned and saw Renette waving at her from the doorway of the classroom and broke into a brilliant grin. She stepped out and hugged the petite, hyper-active redhead, much to the commotion and whispering from the endless crowd of students that crowded the hallways. Hand in hand, she walked with Renette to the library for some self-study before their next class, PE, started.

"Hey, so you wanna come over later?" Renette asked.

"Oh I would love to, but I can't! I'm meeting Kiseop later for our Biology project..." Charlotte trailed off, slightly disappointed to have to push away her new friend's invitation.

"It's alright, another day then! Anyway, your project is due in three days right? Better get it done then!" Renette grinned cutely.

Charlotte nodded, grateful to have such a great girl friend. "Wait, or how about I go over to your house at 5? I should be done with the project by then!" She blurted out, happy that she thought of such a great idea.

The two girls walked towards the changing rooms to prepare for PE, chattering excitedly and deciding on plans.

---

"Hey! You're here!" Kiseop smiled, his eyes turning to crescents and crinkling at the edges, his hair flopping into his face.

Charlotte had an easy time looking for Kiseop's house, which was only a few streets down from hers. She had reached, and was anxious to get the biology project done, already thinking of the girl stuff that she and Renette would do later on. Kiseop looked stunning as always. He had a dark kind of beauty that drew girls in, but she didn't go for that kind of guy, and only always saw him as a friend. He was dressed in a simple white v-necked sweater with form-fitting blue jeans, his hair slightly mussed. He invited her into the small apartment that he shared with Dongho while they were on Earth and pushed a bottle of juice towards her.

"Here, take a seat and have a drink!" He said, gesturing to a study table and taking out his laptop and a stack of notes for the project. "Oh yes, before I forget. Here. This is your assignment that I said would help you with." He handed her a few pieces of paper filled with computer-typed words. She took it from him hesitantly, feeling guilty about accepting his help. But she figured that she could think about that later on and concentrate on the task at hand now. 

"Help yourself to the drink." Kiseop encouraged her, seeing that she was not touching it and was getting a little anxious. It was, specially made. This time, the aphrodisiac would take effect with just one sip...

Charlotte nodded and opened the bottle, bringing it to her lips.

But just as she was about to take a sip, she exclaimed in surprise, "Oh! You have this book?" She spotted an antique book on his bookshelf and distracted now, she put the bottle down and walked to the bookshelf. However, being as clumsy as she was, she placed the bottle on a pile of unsteady papers and the bottle toppled over, emptying its contents on the table.

Kiseop screamed silently and slumped slightly in his seat, slightly upset that she was THAT close. But pretending to be as worried as she was as she apologised for dirtying his papers and table, he stood up to get napkins from the kitchen to wipe up the mess. Once the mess was cleared, they settled down once again to really start on the project. Upon completion, Charlotte left, saying that if he needed her for anything else, she would be at Renette's house.

Sighing at his failed attempt, he went back to his room and waved a hand, clearing up any mess created and all the papers scattered all over the room. Exhausted from making the spell and from the whole day, he reached for a cup of water that was sitting on the edge of his study table and took a deep gulp. Unbeknownst to him, when Charlotte spilled the juice, some landed inside his cup...

The back of his fingers tingled unnoticeably to him. Looking around the room, he saw that Charlotte had left the assignment that he did for her at his house. Determined to make her fail the test of laziness, he decided to go look for her. Snapping his fingers, he disappeared from his apartment and appeared behind a tree one house away from Renette's house. Ringing the doorbell, Kiseop waited patiently. The white-washed door creaked open and a redheaded girl peeked out.

The moment their eyes met, Kiseop's breath caught in his throat and all thoughts disappeared from his mind. He could only hear the beating of his heart and the blood pounding in his ears. All he could do was stare at the beautiful green eyes that had captured his heart. Is this how it feels to fall in love? Kiseop wondered.

"Kiseop? What are you doing here?" Renette asked curiously, slightly amazed and flattered that one of the most popular and handsome boys was standing at her doorstep. Giving an imperceptible shake of his head to bring back his thoughts, he stuttered, "Is...Is Char... Charlotte here?"

"No, she just left. Do you have anything to give her? I can pass it to her tomorrow, we have homeroom together," She smiled a sweet smile that caused Kiseop to blink furiously in confusion and forced him to look away from her for fear that he would be unable to stop himself from kissing or hugging her if he continued to look at her.

"Umm, nothing? Ok, so I'll be going then..." Renette stepped back and started to close the door. The Kiseop that she saw in school exuded nothing but confidence in everything he did, but was acting weirdly now. In truth, she had a small crush on him but knew that he would never take notice of her. See, even when he's at her doorstep, he's looking for someone else. Sighing as she closed the door, she shrugged her shoulders in resignation. Before the door could latch shut, Kiseop put one hand out and prevented the door from closing. Pushing the door back roughly, just before it hit Renette's face, he reached into the house, grabbed Renette's arm and pulled her out of the doorway, in front of him. Surprised but unable to escape his strong grip, Renette stood trembling as he gripped her upper arms and pinned her to the wall beside the door. Neither of them said anything as they stared at each other.

"I love you." Kiseop said simply, his chocolate eyes full of sincerity as he looked at Renette. He leaned down, his eyes closing as he gave her a sweet kiss on the corner of her eye.

"P...P...Player." Renette stuttered, shock at his confession but not completely believing him. She pushed him backwards slightly and ducked under his arms, running into the house and slamming the door shut, her breath coming quickly and unevenly as she blushed a deep crimson.

Suddenly overwhelmed by emotions he never knew he had, Kiseop stood at Renette's doorway for a few second, stunned, before turning and walking away slowly, giving her house longing looks, the papers in his hand already forgotten.

---

Charlotte test 2 - Sloth, PASSED    

Kevin felt the now-familiar burning sensation on his lower calf and smiled to himself. "Brothers!" He announced as he entered the Grand Hall where the rest of his brothers were gathered. "Charlotte has passed the test!" He said triumphantly.

"Wonderful! Alright, 2 more days and our duties will be done and we shall return to Earth!" Eli grinned at his brothers who grinned mischievously back.

---