It's just beginning

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

"Hey!" Kevin tapped Charlotte's shoulder as she walked out of the classroom, a stack of books balanced precariously in her hands. She turned around, blocked by the pile of books that obscured her vision. She peeked out from the side of the pile of books and saw Kevin, leaning casually on the frame of the door she just walked out from, one leg propped on the wall behind him, blond hair slightly mussed, brown eyes smiling at her, and gave a little shout in surprise. She stumbled back, tripped over someone and fell, the books in her hands tumbling to the ground, scattering in all directions. Horrified by her embarrassing behaviour, she stooped down immediately to pick up her books. Kevin was beside her at once, picking up papers that had scattered in the wind. He was wearing a white turtleneck and black skinny jeans, his blond hair smooth and shiny. She stared at him while picking up her books, fascinated and amazed at his beauty

"Bye Charlotte, see you later!" She heard someone call out to her. Twisting her head around, she saw Dongho, her new friend, leave the classroom, headed for his lockers. Smiling, she waved and turned back to Kevin. He had finished picking up the last of the books and was standing up. As the both of them straightened, she saw a frustrated and upset look on his face. Taking some books out of her hand to ease her load, he frowned and said "Be careful of him." His frown deepened as he watched Dongho walk away, swaggering with confidence. Finally remembering Charlotte's presence, he turned to her suddenly, looking at her confused and frightened face and remembering that he looked very scary when angry, he gave a sheepish smile. "Oh I'm so sorry... It's just that I heard some rumours, and I don't want you to get hurt by a playboy like him. Anyway, come along! The boys are waiting for you for lunch!" To her surprise, he looped his hand through her elbow and half-dragged the pleasantly surprised her away.

Only the seniors could eat in the courtyard outside the canteen, so as Kevin guided Charlotte through the canteen and out, pushing open the glass doors to fresh air and away from the canteen's crowded noise, Charlotte was highly aware of the stares and covered whispers among the students. Blushing slightly, she tried to yank her arm from Kevin's grip "Hey, I think I had better sit in the canteen. You all can go on without me" She whispered as Kevin had to half-drag her away from the canteen.

"Trust me." Kevin whispered back, giving her his infamous smile that made his eyes crescents and her insides melt. All her defenses down at his smile, Charlotte let herself be led across the courtyard to the centre of the grass patch where a large, leafy tree stood. The moment she saw the magnificent, aged, twisted tree with its shady cover, she knew that only the most popular seniors sat there. "Charlotte! Kevin! Here!" She heard Hoon call out to them as they approached. Waving back, Kevin turned to her with an encouraging smile. Sitting down on the grass patch, Soo Hyun pushed her a plastic lunchbox. Curious, she opened it to reveal a wonderful display of sushi. Excited, she looked up in happiness and wonderment, "How did you get this brother? I don't think I saw them selling sushi in the canteen, and I'm sure you can't cook."

Winking at her, he said in a stage-whisper that everyone could hear, "Well, someone's got her own delivery man who rushed down to the store around the corner to buy you this." Giving Kevin a suggestive look.

"Aish... It was nothing much. I just thought that you should have a good lunch considering that it is your first day in school." Kevin smiled sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck, slightly embarrassed at the sudden attention as the other boys were all snickering in delight.

"Thank you!" Charlotte reached over and gave Kevin a quick hug around his waist. Oh god, what did I just do??? I hope he doesn't mind... Charlotte thought as she released him from her hug that she gave on impulse and started eating her sushi to hide her blushing face, not noticing Kevin's lovely small smile as his gentle eyes looked at her. The other boys pretended they did not notice, secretly pleased that it was going so well between the two. Breaking the slightly awkward atmosphere, Eli made a funny joke that made everyone laugh hard, and the easy conversation continued throughout lunch.

Smiling as she left the courtyard, making her way to her locker before class, she felt someone shove her roughly against the row of lockers. She felt air rush from her lungs from the sudden impact as her back slammed against the lockers. Gasping for breath, she looked up to see herself surrounded by 3 girls. They were all dressed in similar fashion, short skirts, skin-tight blouses, high, high heels, expensive jewellery, well-placed make-up, fake tan. They towered over Charlotte because of the additional height that their heels gave them and sneered down at her condescendingly. Their arms crossed at their chest, emphasizing their fake s, the one directly in front of Charlotte who was the leader, leaned down and said, "Who are you? Why are Eli, AJ and Hoon paying so much attention to you?"

Staring confused and angry at her, "Why do you care?" Charlotte retorted stubbornly.

*SLAP*

Charlotte's ears rang from the impact as she fell to the floor, her right cheek stinging from the impact of the slap that their leader delivered. "So I'm taking into account that you're new, so I'm going to teach you the rules around here." The leader bent down and grabbed a fistful of Charlotte's hair, pulling it sharply so she could whisper into Charlotte's ear, earning a shout of pain from Charlotte. "I'm the Queen of this school. Madison. You would do well to remember that name. Eli is mine. So are Hoon and AJ. The rules are simple. Leave the handsome boys to the pretty girls. Know your place, ugly." Finally letting go of Charlotte's hair, Madison stood up and planted her hands on her hips, "Oh, and one more thing. Your brother and his friend Kevin, are hot. So that means they're mine too. Say one thing about what happened today to anyone of them and I ensure that you will die miserably." Giving a last dirty look filled with contempt to Charlotte, they left her on the floor, shocked and crying as they marched away. The seniors were all in their classes but the hallway was filled with the other levels. No one stopped to help Charlotte as they were too afraid of Madison, so as the whole scene was progressing, everyone was simply walking past uncaring or staring and not helping.

Dongho and Kiseop were leaning at a stairway down the hallway, observing the scene with cold eyes, hidden in the shadows. "Hmm, well this makes this easier, doesn't it?" Kiseop commented as he leaned back on the cold metal bars, tilting his head as he watched Madison slap Charlotte.

"It does. Well, all girls need a Guardian Angel, don't they?" Dongho smirked as he pushed himself away from the stairway, emerging from the shadows into the lit hallway, pretending to rush over in concern as Madison walked away. Helping Charlotte stand up, he used the sleeve of his long-sleeved sweater to wipe away her tears, pulling her into a nearby girl's toilet.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Charlotte mumbled, hiccupping from her tears as Dongho chased a girl who was standing at the mirror out of the toilet before leaning on the door so that no one else could enter. He leaned in close to her face, taking in her tear-streaked, confused face and smiled gently.

"Why are you helping me?" Charlotte mumbled, staring at Dongho with large, innocent eyes. His breath hitched slightly but unnoticeably. He forced a smile. "Well, we're friends right? Friends...help each other. So wash up and get to class quickly, yes? The bell's about to go off." With that he quickly escaped from the bathroom. Leaning on the wall outside the toilet, Dongho took a few deep calming breaths to calm his frantic heart as he heard water rush from the tap from inside. How... How can this be? She seems so much like... Her. But that's not possible! Giving his head a shake to clear his thoughts, Dongho straightened and walked down the doorway, towards his locker.

Riiiiiiiing!!!!!

The shrill cry of the school bell sent seniors filing out of classrooms and juniors filing in. "What did you do to her? I felt her crying!" Soo Hyun suddenly materialised beside Dongho and grabbed his arm, spinning him around to face him, slamming his locker door shut in the process. Dongho was surrounded with the 5 boys who were all glowering angrily at him. "Hey, get off him." Kiseop appeared and brushed Soo Hyun's hand away from Dongho's and went and stood beside Dongho. While the 7 of them stood there in a staring match, the other girls in school were all walking past them, staring and whispering to each other about the 7 most beautiful guys in school.

Kevin was the first to notice. "Hey guys, let's settle this later. People are staring." He put a hand on Eli's shoulder, giving the growing crowd of girls around them a sideway look which only sent some of them squealing in delight. Tearing his eyes away from Dongho, Eli brushed some invisible dust off his blazer, and turned away, gesturing to the boys, "Let's go."

"It's only the beginning." Dongho said to their retreating figures as he and Kiseop leaned nonchalantly on the row of lockers in a voice only the Angels could hear. Eli frowned mentally, but maintained an alluring smile for the girls who were swooning and milling around the boys.