Devil's Game

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

Kiseop nudged Dongho's side as the new girl with straight black hair walked into the classroom and introduced herself. Giving Kiseop a naughty look, Dongho's hand shot up in the air after the introduction and asked the teacher politely "Ms Layla, I have an empty seat beside me."

Smiling proudly at Dongho for being so welcoming to the new girl, the teacher waved the girl towards her seat, before starting the lesson. "Hi, I'm Dongho." He leaned to the side and whispered, not wanting the teacher to catch him for talking. "I'm Charlotte. Nice to meet you." Charlotte gave a friendly smile. Turning to her fully, he gave a charming smile, his eyes curving into crescents. "I think we'll be great friends!" Taking her hand and giving it a warm shake. On Dongho's other side, Kiseop snickered quietly.

The Creators of the Angels and Devils created the Game, or so the Devils called it. The Angels lived on a bright star called Emeryx, which was ruled by the Council of 5, while the Devils ruled the dark star Krexon on the opposite side of the universe. The rules of their survival were simple. The Angels had to retrieve a pure soul back to their star every thousand years, and the Devils had to retrieve an incorrigibly corrupted soul. For the past thousands of millennia, they had kept out of each other's way, the Angels ruling the day and the Devils ruling the night. It suited them fine. But 1500 years ago, a human had discovered a document that was written by the Creators. No one knew why it wasn't discovered earlier, or why it was there in the first place, but since only the Angels and Devils could read the document, the document was retrieved from Earth and the Devils were summoned to Emeryx for the official reading of the last document from the Creators.

Yet woe to them, the document did not bring peace. It brought war. For the document read that if the Devils could prevent the Angels from taking a pure soul back to Emeryx within the thousand years, the Angel would fade. If at least 2 Angels from the Council fade, the Devils could take over the star Emeryx and engulf the world in darkness forever. They had initially signed a document of peace, declaring that the Devils would do no such thing to prevent the Angels from their deeds, but 1000 years ago, Dongho had changed his mind.

The day that Eli's girl had passed the 7 tests and went to the star, Dongho had appeared in the Grand Hall, marching in angrily as he demanded to meet the entire Council. When the Council had convened, he spoke, an aura of dark anger surrounding him. "I choose to break the agreement of peace. From now on, I will do everything in my power to make EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of you fade." He said in a terrible tone, staring at the Council with immense hate and fury. Whipping around to face Kevin, he spat, "I know you're next." Then he snapped his fingers and disappeared in a flash of black sparks. Everyone was confused and frantic, but Eli calmed all of them down saying, "There's nothing he can do. He still has to follow the rules and cannot play dirty by making the girl do what she doesn't want to do." Nodding reluctantly, the Angels left to their individual jobs.

But when the time came for Kevin to fall in love with and bring up a pure soul, something went wrong. AJ, who was in charge of detecting the pure souls, was so nervous that he made a mistake. Of course, Dongho also had a part to play in it. The 'Promised Girl', as the Angels call it, was no doubt a pure soul, but AJ made a mistake because he missed out the part that though she was pure, she was easily corruptible. Knowing that, Dongho had made his move on Avery, making her fail the test of lust, as she fell in love with Dongho. All these promised girls had an inexplicable attraction for their Angel, so by falling in love with Dongho, Avery had made the mistake of not being sincere in her love. One of the painful consequences of the Game was that the mortal who failed the 7 tests would die. So Avery died and entered the realm of Krexon, much to Kevin's misery and pain.      

But the Angels were given 200 years to find the pure soul, so Kevin still had time. And this time, the Devils would make sure that Kevin would not leave this Game alive.