The promised girl

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

"Bam!" A bright flash of light blinded Charlotte's vision as she heard a loud crash on the concrete pavement in front of her. Squinting to regain her sight, the black spots in her vision cleared slightly to show a blond haired slim figure dressed in white kneeling on one knee, head bowed, a few feet from her. 

The person raised his head to reveal the most handsome face, and as Charlotte looked at him, mesmerized, her eyes wide as saucers, the boy's eyes widened in shock. His mouth a perfect 'O', he snapped his fingers and stood up quickly, running forward to catch Charlotte as she fainted due to his spell. She fainted into his arms, her eyelids fluttering shut.

"Oh dear... I scared you, didn't I? But Soo Hyun told me that you were at home. What are you doing here?' Kevin murmured softly as he stared at the black-haired girl in his embrace. Turning to look at the cracked pavement that marked his arrival on Earth, he frowned. "Not my best landing yet, I must say." He waved his hand and the pavement was back to its normal, grey and smooth state. Sighing gently, he looked around the deserted alley lined with rubbish bins and graffiti, before unfurling his wings and taking to the skies in one smooth motion.

---

Charlotte's eyes fluttered open slightly. It is night, she realised from the dark sky outside her window that her bed was facing. Meteor shower! She thought as she saw 3 shooting stars in the sky. I am at home... What happened? But before she could complete her thought, drowsiness overcame her and she fell back to sleep.

 It was day. Sunlight crept up on her eyelids as she struggled to open her eyes.

"...What if it doesn't work...if she dies because of me..."

"You must try... Emeryx and Earth will be taken over otherwise..."

"...but AJ has been wrong before..."

"It was an accident. He won't be wrong again."

Two voices drifted in from outside her bedroom. She recognised one as belonging to her brother, Soo Hyun. But the other calm, slightly accented one was foreign to her.

"Who's AJ?" Charlotte asked as she pushed open her bedroom door drowsily, rubbing her pounding head, trying to keep her eyes open.

The two boys jumped in surprise when they heard her voice but composed themselves and put on cheery smiles.

"Ah, Charlotte, you're up! Are you feeling better? What happened? Kevin said he found you as you fainted around the grocery store!" Soo Hyun said in a concerned tone as he hugged Charlotte in a brotherly way while shooting accusing glares at Kevin who only shrugged and mouthed "It's not my fault! She saw me!"

Pushing her over-concerned brother away, she smiled, slightly embarrassed in front of this handsome stranger who had been quiet so far. "I'm fine, brother. But who's this?" She said in a slightly shaky voice, suddenly becoming nervous. "Charlotte, meet Kevin. He was my, uh, friend when I was working in PR this year in Europe. He, uh, is studying to be a doctor. Soo Hyun stuttered slightly, hoping that his sister would not notice. But Charlotte was too busy fumbling with her hair and pulling at her clothes to notice her brother's hesitant tone. Biting her lip, she bobbed her head in a slight bow towards Kevin "Nice to meet you, Kevin."

For the first time, Kevin looked up at her and smiled gently, revealing a set of sparkling white teeth and warm twinkling eyes. He was wearing a long-sleeved, white button-up shirt with sleeves rolled up to the elbows and a pair of skinny jeans. Something in Kevin's smile pulled at her heart strings and she smiled back sweetly.

"Well? what are you waiting for? Today's your first day of school and you are going to be late!" Soo Hyun pushed Charlotte back into her room, smirking secretly when he saw her look reluctantly back at Kevin. When he ensured that her door was shut, he turned back to Kevin and patted his shoulder as he walked past Kevin whispering into his ear, "See? I told you we would find you your promised girl."

 Kevin said nothing but gave his brother a small smile. He did become over-protective at times.

---

"Yah, Soo Hyun! Brother! Let's go, I'm late!" Charlotte yelled through the house as she dashed out of her room, her skirt askew and her comb still stuck in her long black hair that curled slightly due to the slightly damp weather. Straightening her skirt as she opened the main door, prepared to wait for her brother in his car, she saw instead, her brother and Kevin leaning nonchalantly against her brother's sports car, chatting and laughing. For some strange reason, simply looking at the beautiful blond boy made her heart thump nervously. Spotting her at the doorstep, frozen, Soo Hyun walked over, plucked the comb from her hair and grabbed her wrist lightly, pulling her towards the car. "Yes, Kevin is coming. He is a senior in the school, going to the same classes as I do so please be nice. But I think you will be. Oh, and stop staring or your eyes will drop out" Soo Hyun bent slightly and whispered into his sister's ear as he walked her to the car and pushed her into the backseat where Kevin was seating, smirking mischievously. Embarrassed that her brother noticed, she flushed pink.

"Are you ok? Is the weather too hot?" Kevin said, his gentle voice startling her as he expressed concern over her flushed complexion. "Ah...ah...no, I'm fine." She gave a sheepish smile as her brother stepped on the gas pedal and sped away.