Internships and confusing gestures

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

---

2 days later

"... so you'll be back in school tomorrow? You're feeling much better? That's great! But, uh, Charlotte, I'm going on some internship to London tomorrow for a week or two so I won't be in school. Don't worry, Kiseop will be there though!" Dongho was talking to Charlotte over the phone. It was only a month into the new school year and Charlotte had been ill for the past few days. Much to Dongho's disappointment, he had heard the she had passed the second test with Eli. Unable to get physically close to her because of the Angel's spell, he had been unable to visit her and try to trap her with something else.

Dongho had duties as a Devil to fulfill, dead souls to transport and judge, and of course, his regular millennia corrupted soul to submit. 2 weeks. That was all he needed. Then again, he won't just leave Earth without trying something to make Charlotte fail.

"You won't be in school? An internship? Wow, you must be really smart! Alright then..." Dongho heard Charlotte's disappointed voice over the phone and smiled slightly, already turning the plan that he had formulated round and around in his head.

---

Later

"You won't be in school either?! Not you too!" Charlotte exclaimed as she stared in disbelief at the 5 boys seated around the dinner table. The boys raised an eyebrow at her sentence, already knowing who she was referring to, but did not comment. "Yes, well, we are going on the same scholarship/internship programme as Dongho, and we will also be away for 2 weeks. Will you be okay by yourself?" Soo Hyun leaned closer towards Charlotte and asked with concerned eyes.

"I will be fine. It's not the first time I'm alone anyway. And, at least Kiseop will be in school?" She sighed and turned back to twirling her spaghetti distractedly with her fork, pushing a stray hair behind her ear.

"KIseop will remain on Earth?"

"Dongho can't cope! What is that Devil plotting now?"

"He'll definitely try something on her! Kiseop will definitely use his ability of lies to lure and trap Charlotte!"

"Maybe we should have some faith in her...?"

The 5 boys shot each other meaningful looks as they had their mental conversation, while Charlotte ignored them and continued looking at her noodles. "So when are you all leaving?" She said, looking straight at Kevin. He gave her a cute smile that made her blush slightly and said, "Tomorrow. It was kind of a last minute thing, but it's urgent. You'll understand right?" He looked at her hopefully. She nodded quickly gave a happy smile.

"Ah, yes. One more thing before we leave. Please do not go to any boy's house, especially when it is empty. It's not safe ok?" AJ gave her a concerned, brotherly look.

"Aish, all of you are acting more and more like Soo Hyun! I'll be fine! And yes, I promise, even though I'm not like a child anymore..." She pouted and grumbled slightly, clearing up the used dishes and heading to the kitchen. These boys ate a lot, were always messy, and never helped to clear up! Charlotte thought while she cleared all the plates and the boys just sat around and talked and joked. Humming a soft tune while she soaped the dishes, she suddenly heard a gentle voice behind her, "Do you need any help?" Spinning her head around quickly, she saw Kevin's face inches from hers! He was standing really close, behind her, such that when she turned, their lips were only inches apart. Startled, she gasped, her eyes wide as she swallowed, happy yet nervous about being so close to her crush. "Here, let me help you." Kevin grinned at her and took the soapy sponge from her hand. Then he leaned towards her and reached around her, as if to hug her. Charlotte could only stand still, not moving, her eyes closed tightly as he came closer to her. But instead of hugging her, she felt him untie her apron strings from behind her, slip off the apron from her head and put it on. Opening one eye, she saw him give her a smile as he tied the strings behind him, one eyebrow raised in bemusement. Embarrassed, she ran out of the kitchen, into her room, slamming the door shut.

Letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding, she leaned on her door, emotions and thoughts running through her mind at record speed. Her heart was thumping quickly and she took a deep, calming breath. Aish! That was so embarrassing! How could I have such thoughts? But... he did kiss me in front of the whole school and even called me 'his girl'! But then again, after that incident, I have been feeling shy around him and he's acting like nothing happened!  That boy is so confusing! Flopping down, face-first on her bed, she screamed in frustration, her voice muffled by the sheets.

"Yah, did you hear that? Ah, that girl is completely, totally, head-over-heels, in love with you!" Hoon said to Kevin and the rest of the boys in a sing-song, playful voice.

"Stop it, it's rude to hear other people's thoughts!" Soo Hyun rebuked Hoon gently, though he knew that all of them had been listening to her thoughts from the moment Kevin stepped into the kitchen, until she ran up to the room.  "But it is wonderful, brother! Now we can be sure that she won't fall for the Devil's tricks so easily!" Eli exclaimed, triumphant.

"We'll see." Kevin said with a gentle smile as he stared up the staircase, at Charlotte's closed door. She smells of oranges and autumn leaves. Kevin thought to himself. He had been so close to her just now. He wanted to have kissed her and hugged her so badly, but it was not the time... Not yet.

"Alright guys, shows over!" Soo Hyun stood and made a flourish towards the door, inviting them to leave. "I still have a lot to clean, no thank to you!" He raised an eyebrow as the other boys groaned but smirked at him. With a wave of his hand, Hoon cleaned up the place, leaving everything spotless and shiny.

"Thank you Hoon, you were always the best at that. Alright now, we have to go prepare for the 'internship' tomorrow." Eli did air quotes at the term 'internship', and with a single gesture, he, Kevin, AJ and Hoon disappeared from the room, leaving Soo Hyun behind to check on Charlotte and tie up loose ends on Earth.

---