Hall of Memories

Angel's promise, Devil's game - Without you

 

---

"Kevin! Come and look at this!" Avery shouted to Kevin with a bright smile on her face. They were 8 years old. The bright sunshine shone in their unruly, cropped short blond hair as they raced across the field of tall grass and sunflowers that separated their houses and the school. They were neighbours and best friends, having known each other since birth. Avery suddenly squatted down in the grass, pulling Kevin down too and pointed at a small anthill, fascinated. She turned to Kevin with a lovely smile as she chattered excitedly. Kevin returned the smile, smiling angelically as he watched his best friend.

*FLASH*

They were 14 now and attended the same high school. "Finally! I got an A for my history essay! Mr Ritchie is simply too strict most of the time!" Avery complained as she sat down on the canteen bench beside Kevin during lunch. She rolled her eyes but flashed him a brilliant, cheeky smile as she pulled back her long blond hair into a messy ponytail.

"Avery!" A black-haired senior called out from across the canteen, waving. Avery looked up and her smile grew even bigger. Turning back to Kevin, she said "I have to go. Dongho says that he wants to teach me the flute today!" Without a second word, she grabbed her bag and ran towards Dongho, already forgetting Kevin.

Kevin could only watch the pair leave the canteen, his brow knitted tightly together in worry.

*FLASH*

They were 16, and it was Prom Night. Kevin stood in a dashing black tuxedo, talking to Avery who was stunning in a dark rose pink gown, her hair pulled back in a French twist, tendrils drifting softly around her face. They stood outside the school gym, where the Prom was in full swing inside.

"No, please Avery, I love you!" Kevin pleaded, his eyes desperately searching Avery's.

"But Kevin, you are and will always be my best friend." Her eyes glancing sympathetically at Kevin's distraught face. "I love Dongho and he loves me too! You know that!"

Kevin's heart broke even more as he saw sympathy in her eyes. "Forget it. I don't need your sympathy" He said, ready to cry but biting his lip hard to prevent the tears from spilling out."And he doesn't even love you. He's just doing this to get to me." He said as he turned around to leave the school.

"What do you mean?" Avery called out from behind him, confused.

But Kevin had already walked out from the hallway. He pushed open the school doors, took off the tuxedo jacket, spread his large white wings and took to the air in a straight path, heading towards a star in the distance.

*FLASH*

---

Kevin walked out from the Hall of Memories and saw Soo Hyun waiting for him at the door. Kevin looked away quickly, trying to mask the tears that had came unexpectedly. Blinking away the last of his tears, he turned back to Soo Hyun.

Soo Hyun was watching him with a gentle look of empathy. "Why, Kevin? Why are you doing this to yourself? I told you to keep those memories in there not for you to visit them over and over again and torture yourself even more!" Soo Hyun took hold of Kevin's shoulders and looked deep into Kevin's eyes. He was trying to read and decipher Kevin's thoughts and hopefully find a way to cure his brother of this heartbreak.

Kevin knew, and let him, pouring all his emotions and feelings into the stare. Shocked at the sudden influx of emotions, thoughts and feelings, Soo Hyun stumbled backwards abruptly, looking away. In that moment, he had felt what Kevin felt and finally understood why Kevin wanted to fade. Living with this pain was too much to bear, especially for eternity.

"Now you understand? Will you go convince the others to let me fade now?" Kevin looked up, emotions drained from his eyes as he stored his feelings somewhere deep in his heart. Soo Hyun finally looked into Kevin's eyes once more. His heart broke as he saw the emotionless, blank state that his brother was. It would be kind to let Kevin fade, but what would they do without him? So instead, Soo Hyun made a decision. He would not let his brother fade if it meant sacrificing himself. And he would bring back life into his brother's eyes.

"No. I will not. You promised us 100 years, and I will find someone worthy in this 100 years." Soo Hyun took a deep breath and said determinedly before turning around and flying away, back to Earth. Kevin looked at the back view of Soo Hyun as he flew away. He knew that Soo Hyun was very concerned for Kevin, and Kevin had only agreed to the 100 years because it was Soo Hyun that asked.

"Fine. For your sake, brother, I will try one more time." Kevin whispered. The wind brought Kevin's words to Soo Hyun's ears, and Soo Hyun smiled gently, steeling himself and flying at a faster rate towards Earth.