The Royal Gathering

My Boyfriend Is A Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Seeing a pile of thick books scattered on the sculptured wooden table, Hyukjae felt like as if his soul had already left his body. Since the royal gathering was going to be held tomorrow night, he was forced to do a last-minute-studying, to learn more about this world where the legendary devils reside. A fiancé that was lacked of knowledge wouldn’t be an ideal partner for a noble lord, was what Donghae told him.

“Yesung-sii,” he said, glancing at Yesung who was sitting two tables away from him, before taking a book and blew the dirt on it. “Do I really have to read these books?”

“I’m deeply sorry, but you have to.”

“Can’t you just tell me everything about this world? It’ll be easier that way.”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to do that,” Yesung said, closing the book he was reading and turned around to face the blonde. “I’m really sorry.”

“Why not?”

“I’m not supposed to be so close with the lord’s fiancé.”

“Oh God,” Hyukjae palmed his forehead, unable to believe that things had gotten even more serious now.

He was treated like some kind of a sacred being here, and to be honest, it was a little troubling. He wasn’t used to this kind of treatment, he was hoping to live a normal life here, if only it was possible. But then again, this was a totally different world, there was no such thing as ‘normal.’

“Are you alright, my lord?” Yesung asked, worried seeing the latter’s troubled expression.

“It’s fine, Yesung-sii. I want you to tell me everything about Eosforos and the devils. My head hurts whenever I see these books.”

“If that’s your wish, than I have no choice,” Yesung said, pulling his chair a little closer to the blonde, though he still made sure to keep a distance between them. “Let’s start from the king then.”

“King?”

“Yes, the devil king. In this world, once in every 20 years, there will be a king selected to rule Eosforos. The king doesn’t really do anything though, their existence is actually the rules themselves, in order to control the devils from destroying each other.”

“I only got the word rules,” Hyukjae crossed his arms over his chest, annoyed by Yesung’s complicated ‘scientific’ explanation. “Make it easier for me to understand.”

“It means, the king exists to activate the laws in this world. But a devil king’s life span is strangely short. Approximately after 20 years, they will eventually die.”

“Does that mean, when the king dies, the laws will be disposed of too, until the next king is selected?”

Yesung nodded. “You got it right.”

“You sure live in a complicated world,” Hyukjae shook his head, relieved that he didn’t have to face this kind of thing on Earth.

He used to think that the devils didn’t exist before, but ever since he met Donghae, everything seemed to be possible to happen. In such a short time, he had gotten himself involved in a dangerous situation, where he was suddenly ‘appointed’ as a devil lord’s lover. How dramatic his life story was, and if he’d ever have the chance to go back alive, he’d be sure to write a book about his own adventure.

“The devil king lives in the outer part of the Dark Abyss,” Yesung continued. “Dark Abyss is located at the center of this world, it is a place where we are forbidden to enter.”

“Why?”

“It’s dangerous. The deepest part of the Dark Abyss is also known as ‘hell,’ and if you ever fall into that deepest part of it, you’ll never be able to come back. The place itself is emitting a huge amount of poisonous air, only those who are powerful are able to come close. Even so, there’ll still be some side effects.”

Hyukjae felt shiver ran down his spine as he listened to what Yesung was saying. The history of Eosforos was a lot more gruesome than what he had thought. He wondered though, why Donghae had never once told him about all of this. Wouldn’t it be better for him to know everything, considering that he was a fiancé of a notable lord?

“I’m sorry if I scared you,” Yesung immediately said, noticing the sudden change in the blonde’s expression. He could somehow understand how hard it’d be for a human to be in this kind of place by himself. Unlike the peaceful Earth, this world was filled of darkness and evil, a place where no light could be found.

“I’m alright,” Hyukjae smiled. “Keep talking, I’m actually interested to know more.”

But before Yesung could answer, the door of the library flung open, and Donghae stepped in with a grim look on his face. It seemed like he had just woken up from his sleep, though Hyukjae had no idea why he’d be here. Yesung immediately stood up when Donghae approached them, the frown on his face deepened.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“I was just telling him about the history of this world, my lord,” Yesung calmly explained.

“Stop doing unnecessary things,” Donghae said, his voice softened when his eyes landed on Hyukjae’s confused face. “Come, Hyukjae. Don’t leave me alone in my room, you’re supposed to stay with me.”

“But I still have a lot to-“ Hyukjae quickly shut his mouth when the latter shot him a glare.

It was rare to see this side of Donghae, he was always playful and loved to fool around, but now, he seemed different. And he didn’t like it at all. Knowing that it wasn’t a good idea to defy him, he silently followed Donghae from behind, staring blankly at his back. The latter had been in a crappy mood ever since he received the invitation letter to the royal gathering that would be held once in a year here.

“I’m still sleepy,” Donghae said as they entered his room, “I’m going to take a short nap. Don’t you dare leave my side, do you hear me?”

“What should I do then? Babysitting you?” Hyukjae said sarcastically, watching him as Donghae lay down on the bed, supporting his head with his hand.

He didn’t sleep right away though, and stared at the ceiling above him instead, as if he was lost in his thought.

“Sleep then,” Hyukjae sat on the bed, pulling the thick blanket up to his chest. The latter’s usually warm skin felt strangely cold against his hand, and he couldn’t help feeling worried to see the change in him. “I’ll stay here with you.”

Donghae looked at the blonde for a moment, before grabbing his hand and pulled him closer. “My power is quite unstable right now, and it’s…it’s kind of hard to deal with. Don’t leave me.”

It was the first time Hyukjae saw the latter like this. He had never thought this kind of thing would happen to a mighty devil lord, who had never once showed him his weakness. Biting his lip, he moved closer towards Donghae and gently placed his hand on his cold, sweating forehead. “It’s okay, I won’t leave you.”

“I’ll chase you to the end of the world if you’re not here when I wake up,” Donghae mumbled, as his eyes were slowly getting heavier.

Hyukjae chuckled. It was somewhat cute to see the latter being clingy like this, unlike his usual arrogant and bossy self. “I can assure you that I’ll be here when you open your eyes.”

“Is that a promise?”

“Yeah, it is.”

______________________________

 

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“But you have to.”

“Like hell I’d wear that thing!” Hyukjae snapped, pointing his index finger at the elegant white dress Heechul was holding in his hand.

He couldn’t find any reason why he had to wear such thing to the royal gathering, when there was plenty of male clothing here. It was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter