It's About Time

Boundaries of the Heart

He put the armband on and adjusted his black suit. He took a glance at himself then deeply sighed. Shortly after being released from the hospital, Joonmyun had a funeral to plan–his mother’s. Yirin walked in the room and looked at her husband staring idly at his reflection. She walked over and fixed his tie for him. He looked up and she gave him a soft smile to somehow help him through this moment. Yirin pat the tie down once she finished then looked at him. She rested her palm on his cheek and lightly kissed his forehead, “Are you ready?”

 

Joonmyun nodded, “Let’s go.”

 

 

 

Both stood by the entrance as they bow to their guests. Relatives mournfully sobbed and pat his head, weeping from the lost of his dear mother. He nodded as he listened to their advice since he no longer had parents to give him life lessons. Yirin held his hand to give him strength. His aunt came and took their place, suggesting that they sit down before they get light-headed from the stress. Yirin took her husband to sit down, away from the crying crowd, then went to go get him some food.

“Eat,” she demanded nicely as she set the food down.

“I’m not hungry,” he replied as he was about to get up.

She held his arm and he looked at her. “You need to eat, Joonmyun.” She gave him a pleading look, “Please.”

He submissively sat down and looked at the food. Yirin sighed then grabbed the spoon and scooped up some rice for him, “Eat.”

She saw his eyes gathering up the tears that were oppressed by his emotionless face. They clumped up into a heavy row and slipped out of his eyes. Yirin put the spoon down. She wrapped her arms around him then let out a deep sigh as her tears slowly trickled down her pale face. “Let it all out.”She gently pat his back “You've been silent for too long.”

Joonmyun wrapped his arms around her and cried. Quietly at first, his voice projected and grew but was muffled in her warmth.

Minrin looked at the couple from behind the doors then felt such sympathy for the both of them. She had heard about the funeral just earlier that day and quickly made her way on over. She saw a group of older women enter the partition already weeping. Wanting to pay her respects as well, she waited for the women to finish before she would enter herself.


 

Kyungsoo entered the funeral. He smoothed out his black suit then bowed at Joonmyun’s aunt. “Hello Auntie,” he politely greeted.

“Aigoo,” she hugged him, “How nice of you to come.”

He smiled, “How are you? It’s been a while.”

“I’m good but I’m just worried about Joonmyun,” she sighed and nodded her head, “We all are.”

“Talk about Joonmyun,” he looked around, “Where is he?”

She nod her head towards the dining area, “I guess Yirin’s trying to get him to eat.”

 

Kyungsoo direct his eyes that way. He saw a woman walking towards the partition.

 

Minrin.

He quickly bowed, “Thank you.” He hastily walked past Joonmyun’s relatives and respectively greeted them, making sure not to lose sight of her. Before the elder could strike up a conversation with him, he interrupted. “I’m sorry but I’ve been having stomach pains since this morning so if you don’t mind.” He quickly bowed then briskly walked towards Minrin.

Before Minrin entered the room, she was pulled by the arm. She looked back and saw Kyungsoo. She was definitely shocked, but did little effort to show it. Minrin shrugged him off but he pulled her back, a few steps away from the door of the room.

 

She looked at his hands holding onto her arm, then at him. She plucked his fingers away, “Let’s stop here.”

 

“Why?” He sharply asked and pulled her back. “Why must we stop? Who or what is stopping us, Minrin? Because all I know is you’ve been ignoring me for no clear reason.”

 

“We’re at a funeral,” she reminded him as she calmly try to pry his arms off her. “We can have this conversation another time but now isn’t it.”

 

He scoffed, “Really?” He said sarcastically, “We can have this conversation another time? That is extremely hard to believe. Perhaps this may be the last time I get to see you.” With that Kyungsoo grabbed her arm and yanked it under his. He pulled her away from the room and outside of the church. Not wanting to start a scene, she complied with him.

 

Once they were out, she took her arm back. “What is it?”

 

Kyungsoo scoffed, completely agitated with this woman. “You’ve been ignoring my calls and texts for three weeks now. I went to your work place and they told me that you resigned.” He took notice at how she was looking away from him. “Why are you acting like this?” He asked with a hurtful tone in his voice. “Did I do something to upset you? Why aren’t you giving me any reasonable explanation for all this?”

 

She crossed her arms, “I’ve already told you; I shouldn’t be with you. We won’t work out.” She looked away. “Think of this as me helping you.”

 

“Helping me with what?”

 

“Helping you realize what a terrible woman I am, Kyungsoo!” She shouted. There was a short pause. Her voice felt like it was clogged in . She didn’t want to say what she needed to say, but she had to–for him. “I am not worth the heartache nor am I worth your time. You shouldn’t be investing so much of your effort on me because I don’t care.” There was a long pause. “I don’t love you. Actually I am annoyed of you. You are stubborn and I hate that the most. You’re irritating, clingly, and quite frankly I want you out of my life. You suffocate me with your existence so please,” she begged, “Please consider my words and do the both of us a favor and let’s stop seeing each other.”

 

Kyungsoo looked down at the ground with a light chuckle, catching her off guard. He looked at her with a smirkish grin. “You were always terrible at lying.”

 

He stepped up and kissed her. With his arms wrapped around her waist, he brought her closer to his body and passionately kissed this woman that he loves deeply. Minrin closed her eyes and slowly brought her hands to his face. She cupped his cheeks and responded to his lips, yearning for them as much as he yearned for hers. Kyungsoo smirked at how fast she submitted to him. Her hands rested on his chest as the kiss continued then they stopped to breath. He pulled away, but she was a bit reluctant to leave. He swiped his thumb across her lips then gave her a gentle kiss as she softly panted for air.

 

He held her hands. “If you really love a person, you close your eyes when you kiss.” Minrin looked elsewhere, embarrassed by her actions. He shifted her chin so she’d look at him. “I love you and I know you love me too. Let’s stop this childish game of cat and mouse. We’re adults now, Minrin. If someone has a problem with us being together, then so be it. At least we’re happy.” He looked at her eyes, “So what do you say?”

 

Minrin saw how sincere this man was being. Why was he such a nice man? Everything he does for her is full of love and sincerity. Taegi’s words came back to her.

 

“They’re called ‘keepers’ for a reason.”

 

She hugged him. She closed her eyes and tears rolled down her cheeks. This had been the first time she had ever initiated the hug first. This had also been the first time where she didn’t push him away. Kyungsoo smiled and cherished this moment. Minrin held him closer to her, “I’m so sorry,” she apologized. “I’ve always love you. I was just so determined to hate you that it was impossible to do so.”

Kyungsoo kissed the top of her head. He held her face in his hands and wiped her tears away with his thumbs, “Please don’t push me away anymore.”

She sniffled and genuinely smiled, “I won’t, I promise. I’m tired of fighting with myself. I love you, Do Kyungsoo.”

“I love you too, Hwang Minrin.”

Yirin opened the door to the back with a trash bag in her hand. She stopped once she saw a couple hugging. Quietly, she propped the trash next to the garbage. “Who’s that?” She whispered to herself. She looked closer and saw that it was Kyungsoo and Minrin. She smiled and shook her head, “Well it’s about time.” She slowly shut the door, careful to not make her presence known, and walked away.


It's been a while hasn't it? I missed you all. Sorry it took so long! I have been busy being lazy and also I was trying to plan the rest of this story. Anyway just a little chapter for all you KyungRin (?) shippers. Poor Joonmyun, he's so fragile aigoo let me hold you! This is where we actually get to see a glimpse of Yirin being a good wife and doing "wife duties". Kinda weird the Kyungsoo and Minrin reconciled at a funeral, but they had to do it somewhere right?