Selfish, Heartless, and Prideful

Boundaries of the Heart

Kris couldn’t stop smiling. The week felt like an eternity. He couldn’t wait to see Yirin again and hold her and kiss her and shower her with love. He never liked being apart from he. He just always felt the need to be by her side and protect her, to love her. He opened the garage with the press of a button. He got out and opened the trunk of his car and took out his luggage. He bit his lower lip, trying to contain his goofy smile but it obviously didn't. He locked his car then opened the door to the condo.

Hayeon gasped, she just barely got there! She didn’t think he’d be there that quick! “, , , !” she spat under her breath. She shut her eyes and got on her knees then began crawling. “Oh god,” she whispered, “I hope he doesn’t—”

“What are you doing here?”

Dammit. Hayeon opened her eyes and mouthed out a curse. She stood up and saw Kris behind her.

“Well?” Kris asked giving her a look as if trying to discover the reason for her appearance.

“Uh....” Hayeon looked around, “I was, you know, looking for something and um was trying to...Yeah and—” Her eyes wandered the home until it landed on a feather duster, “Ah! I found it!” She chuckled awkwardly and brushed his shoulders to retrieve it. Kris looked at the girl as if she were crazy. Hayeon held the feather duster in her hands, “Ha, ha, ha, ha I found it~” she laughed dryly.

Kris raised a brow, “You came here to clean?”

Hayeon casually dusted off the table next to her, “Yep, I do what I’m told by Yirin.”

Kris smirked and crossed his arms, “Like a dog?” He taunted. “Obedient and does what they’re ordered to do by their master.”

Hayeon stopped dusting and shot a glare at him. She put her hands on her hips and turned to him, “What did you say?”

Kris strolled casually to her, “You heard what I said, Gae Hayeon.” (**gae = dog)

“Excuse me?!” Hayeon shouted, completely offended, before she was dragged by the wrist by him. “Yah!” She tried to peel his fingers off, but his big hands refuse to budge. “Yah! Li Jia Heng!”

He let her go, “Since Yirin is my partner, I am also your master.” He nodded to his huge suitcase, “Take my stuff upstairs and rearrange them nicely in my closet, it should be obviously which one it is.” He walked away from her but stopped, “Oh and Gae Hayeon.”

Hayeon looked at him with fire igniting through her iris.

“Don’t you dare call me that name again, you hear me?” He continued walking to the living room. He plopped himself on the luxurious white leather sofa and the flat-screen T.V. with the remote.

Hayeon scoffed, “Gae Hayeon? Is he crazy?!” She fanned herself with her hand and looked at his suitcase. “What the? How is this even gonna
” She kicked it and groaned. She sat down on the hardwood floor and began to rub her toe, “How is it possible for me to carry this when it’s heavier than me?!” She gawked to herself. She huffed out a breath and got back up. Her toe began to pulsate and throb. She took off her right slipper and looked at her toe. “Omo!” She covered as she saw blood coat and begin to build on the tip of her toe. “Did I really kick it that hard?” She asked herself. “Ahh,” she moaned as the pain begin to increase.

“Gae Hayeon! What’s taking you so long?” Kris called from the living room, “My clothes are gonna wrinkle. Don’t make me have you iron all of them one by one.”

“How else are you suppose to iron it, dumb ,” she said under her breath. “Yah! Li Jia Heng!” She shouted from the door, “How am I suppose to carry this?!”

Kris looked behind the sofa at her, “God gave you hands and arms for a reason, right?” He turned his attention to the T.V. again, “Use them.”

Oh Lord give me the strength to not kill this man. Hayeon sighed and grabbed the handle of the bag and dragged it, “Oh god,” she gasped, “Why doesn’t this come with wheels?!” Never in her life has she ever have to carry, drag, pull, or haul anything so damn heavy before. She continued dragging it and felt her right slipper become more moist on the tip. Hayeon shut her eyes and swallowed the pain. Endure the pain, Lee Hayeon. It’s just a busted toe. You’re still alive right?

After a lifetime of excruciating pain and exhaustion from a mighty suitcase, she finally reached the white spiral staircase. “Aigoo, Yirin,” Hayeon grumbled, “Why is your home like this?” She stood on the first step and gathered up all her strength to pull the luggage up. Surprisingly, the weight of the suitcase began to become less of a hassle. Soon she was nearly half-way up the first spiral.

Kris heard the uncomfortably tingling sound of fabric rubbing against each other. He lowered the volume of CNN and began to concentrate on the sound. He got up and figured out what the sound was. “Is she?” He ran to the stairs and saw her dragging his suitcase on the wood stairs. “Yah! Gae Hayeon! Do you know how expensive that bag is?! It’s a high quality Louis Vuitton! I find a scratch on that and—”

“Do you know how heavy this thing is?!” She shouted at him. He shut his mouth from her suddenly loud voice. He’s messed with her plenty of times, but never has she ever used this tone towards him before. “I am weaker than you by the hundreds yet you expect me to carry it like a piece of cake? Are you crazy?! Of course I’ll drag it! Even Hercules wouldn’t be able to carry this!”

He was unsure if he wasn’t looking clearly enough, but he saw her eyes water. He lightly chuckled, “Gae Hayeon are you—”

“Don’t call me that!” She shouted back at him. She turned around and held onto the handle of the suitcase, “Leave me alone, I’ll do it myself.”

Kris saw how she was struggling, but more of how quick his expensive suitcase was going to tear apart if this woman continued to tug on it any longer. “Gae Hayeon, I’ll do it.” He pushed her aside and picked it up.

“No,” she tugged back, “You told me to do it so I’ll do it.”

“Weren’t you the one who was complaining about how heavy it was?!”

“Weren’t you the one who called me a dog?!” She yelled back. Kris looked at her and clarified the tears in her eyes, “Will you fetch a dog his bone for him? Will you dig a hole for him just for the hell of it? Will you scratch its itchy ears when it has the foot for that?” She took it from him, “Of course you won’t because you are Li Jia Heng. A selfish, heartless, and prideful man without a care for anyone but yourself.”

Kris looked at her, “Do I really look like that?” He asked her honestly. “Selfish, heartless, and a prideful man? Is this what you and everyone else sees in the world?”

Hayeon looked at him in the eyes “Of course.”

Kris gave her a blank stare and turned away from her. He slowly walked down the steps and thought about her words. Am I really the villain? Am I as bad as people perceive?

She blinked the tears away and looked up into the spiral. She took a step, but missed and hit the same toe on the wooden step. “Ah!” She shrieked as she fell back. Kris turned around and saw her coming at him.

Hayeon fell on top of him and gripped his shoulders in pain. Kris looked up and saw the pained expression on her face, “Are you okay?” He asked subconsciously. Hayeon groaned as tears rimmed her tightly shut eyes.

The front door opened. “Hayeon? Kris?” Yirin called from the front. The two looked at her with paranoia. “Are you two okay? What happened?”

Hayeon pushed her pain away and got off of Kris, “Nothing.”

Kris sat up and saw a soaked spot on the tip of Hayeon’s black slippers.

She walked up to Yirin, “Now that you’re back, I’ll just leave now.”

Kris’ eyes widen when he saw that a light puddle of blood imprinted each of her right foot steps. He stood up, “Gae—I mean Hayeon, your—”

“I’ve got to head back to the office so I’ll see you later Yirin.” She took off her slippers and held them then put on her shoes. Kris noticed how she limped her way out the door and automatically felt....bad.

“Was...Was she..Bleeding?” He asked himself.

“What was that?” Yirin asked.

Kris looked at her and forced a grin, “Nothing.” He looked at Hayeon driving away from the home and sighed. Did I go too far?




Minrin looked at the ground with a slightly tilted head. She was sitting just right outside the hospital, where the Christmas lights flickered from the corner of her eye. The doctor's words kept repeating in her head:
 
"Hwang Minrin-sshi, you are pregnant. About two and a half weeks, I'd say."
 
Minrin sighed, feeling a burden being placed on her shoulders. Then her phone started ringing. Without looking away from the ground, she dug in her coat and took out her phone, "Hel—"
 
"So what did the doctor say?"
 
She closed her eyes and sighed; it was her close cousin, Hwang Taegi. "You were right."
 
Minrin heard a gasp coming from her cousin, "I knew it!" Her cousin snapped.
 
Minrin rubbed circles on her temple, "Taegi please, if you called me to boast about how you were right, I don't want to hear about it."
 
There was a short silence. "Is it Jongin's?" Her cousin asked. Minrin bit her tongue; it was. Taegi sighed, "You'll need prenatal pills to help nourish the little monster."
 
Minrin groaned, "Don't call it that, Taegi. It's still mine."
 
Taegi lightly laughed—it was needed. "I know, I'll drop some off when I come visit you."
 
"I'll buy prenatals whenever. You don't need to worry about me." She grimace, "I'm pregnant not dying." She looked at her watch and saw that her break was over, "Okay Taegi, I've got to head back to work. I'll talk to you later."
 
"Don't forget to eat! You have a life inside of you now so stop trying to be a skinny and eat!" Taegi quickly yelled before Minrin hung up. She got up from the bench and stuffed her phone back in her pocket. She took a deep breath and walked back to her office.
 
Kyungsoo put his back behind the tree and threw his head back. Minrin is...pregnant?
 
 



Kyungsoo barged into her empty office, "Minrin, we need to," he stopped once he saw her bending over a trash can, "Talk."
 
Minrin quickly wiped with a tissue and threw it away. She sat up straight on her swivel chair and cleared , "What do you need, Kyungsoo?" She asked as she flipped through files.
 
He was unsure of how to bring up the topic. What was he suppose to say? 'Hey, I overheard your conversation and found out you're pregnant! Just wondering if I was the father!'
 
No.
 
Kyungsoo parted his lips, "Minrin," he paused, "I know."
 
She stopped flipping her files and looked at the blood building up on her index finger; she got a paper cut. She swallowed a scream and on her finger. "What do you mean?" She asked as she walked to the other side of her office. She opened a cabinet and took out a first aid kit.
 
"I overheard you on the phone." He took the kit away from her and took out a band-aid, "I know you're pregnant, Minrin," he said casually.
 
She felt so exposed. Her face became flushed, unsure if it was from anger, fear, or shame. She refused to look at him—she couldn't face him. "What were you doing eavesdropping?" She asked with clenched teeth.
 
"It was unintentional." He took her finger twirled the band-aid around it before she would swipe her hands away from him, “I heard Joonmyun had a heart attack so I came here.” And just as he knew she would, she snatched her hand away from him. She took a deep breath and nodded to the door, "Leave." She demanded.
 
"Minrin!" He roared for the first time at her, "You're pregnant and it could be mine!"
 
"Well it's not!" She yelled back at him with tears in her eyes. She let out a small but nervous laugh, "It's not, Kyungsoo," she whispered. Kyungsoo shot her a look of confusion. "It's not yours. It's Jongin's, from the night he—" she stopped herself, she didn't want to continue; she didn't have to.
 
Regardless of her demands, Kyungsoo embraced her in a hug, "It doesn't have to be my child, Minrin. I don't care if it's his or mine or another man's, I will love that child as of it was my own seed."
 
With tears dripping down her chin, Minrin wiped them away and pushed him away, "I don't need your pity, Kyungsoo."

“Why are you pushing away your feelings, Minrin?” Kyungsoo asked angrily. “Why don’t you just let me love you? Is that so hard for you to do? Is it?!” With vexed footsteps, he walked closer to her, “Why don’t you just let things be the way they should be, Minrin?”

“Because Kyungsoo!” She shouted as she pushed him away, “Because I’m broken!” She emphasized with a heaving heart. Tears stung her eyes; she wiped the pathetic idiocies from her eyes with the back of her hand. Kyungsoo’s guard was immediately shut down, seeing the one he loved in tears. “I’m broken, I’m dirty, and I don’t deserve you. You’re too good for me, too nice, and much too loving for me to have. I don’t want to burden.”

Kyungsoo walked up to her and kissed her. “You’re not dirty, you’re beautiful. You deserve all goodness in the world and more. The past is the past, all the matters is what happens now. If you let me, I’ll mend your broken heart with love and care. If you let me into your heart, I’ll be the future you deserve.”

Minrin broke out into tears at his words. Never in her life has anyone spoken to her so passionately. Never has anyone ever wanted her as much as he. But most of all, no one has ever love her as much as he. Muffling her tears with the back of her hand, Minrin nodded and hugged him. Kyungsoo held her and lifted her off the ground and tightened up their hug, as if promising her that he will be utmost faithful and loyal to her.
 
But she couldn’t let him go this path. She pushed him away, “Go,” she ordered.

“Minrin.”

“Kyungsoo,” she said to him with a bold tone, “This is a place of work.” A patient opened the door, letting out Minrin’s anxiety, “Hello, Gunwoo-sshi.” She quickly wiped her tears away, “Have a seat.”

The young man looked at Kyungsoo then Minrin with bewildered eyes, “Did I interrupt something?”

Minrin shook her head, “Of course not, he was just leaving.”

Kyungsoo gave Minrin a hurtful yet stern stare. He looked at the boy and took his leave.
With a heavy heart, Kyungsoo walked down the hallway, completely forgetting to visit his dear friend. He sat down on the chairs that they had placed out and ran his hands through his hair.

The baby isn't mine.

It's Jongin.

I'm not the father.

So why am I so heartbroken?

He put his head down and took a deep breath. A child doesn't deserve to grow up with a father in prison. He sat up, "But he's already been convicted with these things. It'll be hard to defend when he was engaged in these activities." Kyungsoo sighed, "There's nothing I can do anymore." He stood up, "But for the baby, I must not give up." Kyungsoo knew for a fact that Jongin was not suitable for being a father, especially at the situation he was in. He made his way to the gift shop and walked to the baby section. In that section where balloons, stuffed animals, and books on parenting. Kyungsoo let his eyes wander at all the different books that they had.

"Having a baby?"

He looked from the books and chuckled, "Uh, you can say." He ruffled the back of his head awkwardly.

The woman smiled and handed him a book. "This one really helped my husband, if you were interested." She bowed and left him to browse.

Kyungsoo looked at the book and smiled, "Pregnancy and Parenting For Appa," he read. He looked at the adorable newborn on the cover and grinned. "Ahjumma, I would like to purchase this."

Minrin-ah, I won't let you raise this child on your own.
 


Waaaaah~ Here's another update for you guys!

Let's Talk About The Story:

What do you guys think? Did Kris go over the top? Minrin is pregnant! But it's Jongin :O *dramatic music* and Kyungsoo is gonna play daddy???? So much drama! Jongin is going to prison but Minrin is pregnant with his child, Joonmyun's time is up, Kris has cross the line passed Hayeon's limits. Yirin is Minrin's architect for her inherited land in Hampyeong! *deep breath* Wow that is an awful lot!

Please subscribe, comment, and upvote! 

[P.S. Totally made the title of that book up lol I know it sounds cheesy ]