All For You

Boundaries of the Heart

It has been 2 weeks since Yirin has been spending time with Joonmyun. Often times she would go to his house and cook for him or just keep him company. Yirin has been getting off work early just to stay with him and would come home just in time before Kris did.

 

Little did she know, Kris knew her mindset; and he was not happy with it. One day Kris entered the building of her office, immediately greeted with Yirin's intern, Lee Hayeon.

 

"Hello Mr. Wu, " she greeted with a perfect 90 degree bow, "How may I assist you this afternoon?"

 

Kris looked behind the girl, "Yirin hasn't come in yet, huh?"

 

Hayeon stiffened.

 

He scoffed at the girl's response, "Has she even been coming to work?" he questioned.

 

Hayeon inhaled from her nose, "That is personal information that I am not allowed to give out." she apologized politely.

Kris scoffed, "So she hasn't." he said to himself. He looked up, pissed, then dipped his head a bowed. Kris walked to his car and slammed the door shut. He hit his steering wheel in agitation, "So she has been seeing him, " he sneered. His breath grew heavy and loud, "Han Yirin, you need to make up your mind."

 

It was lunch, and as promised Yirin was going to go to Joonmyun's house to eat with him. Yirin smiled as she held the Japanese take-out in her hands. Once she reached his doorstep, she fished her former house keys out of her purse and twisted the knob open. She opened the door and kicked it to close with her heels, "Joonmyun-ah, I brought Japanese take out from Kasanoi." she announced. She set the the food on kitchen counter. "Joonmyun?" she called. The house was abnormally quite. She looked at her diamond encrusted watch, "It's 12:40, he doesn't work today...Does he?" Curious, she dialed Kyungsoo number.

"Hello?"

"Oh, Kyungsoo-sshi, it's me, Yirin." she replied.

Kyungsoo's smiled dropped from the other side of the line. Though they were well acquainted before, he grew bitter feelings towards Yirin when Joonmyun told him about her affair with Kris. "Ah, Yirin-sshi, " he faked enthusiasm, "How are you?"

"I'm fine, " she answered as she scanned the living room for Joonmyun, "Um, does Joonmyun work today?"

Kyungsoo shook his head, "No, he's off today. Why?"

Yirin sighed then walked upstairs to his room, "Nothing, I was just--oh my gosh!" Yirin gasped, "Sorry Kyungsoo, I've got to go! Bye!" she hung up from the call and gasped from what she saw.

Joonmyun was on the floor lifelessly. His lips were an anemic blue color and his skin was a sickening pallid color. His medicine bottle was opened and the medication within it spilled and laid on the cold, hard floor. He looked so vulnerable and inanimate, it was as if he was dead.

"No, " Yirin widened her eyes. She got on her knees and leaned her head to his face, checking for a sign of vitality. "Not breathing, " she panicked. She grabbed his right wrist with both of her hands and checked for a pulse, "No pulse!" she shouted. Tears started stinging her eyes. She gently patted her hands onto his algid cheeks, "Joonmyun" she called while patting but got no response. "Joonmyun-ah, " she called a bit louder, "!" she cursed from the lack of response.  She rested her palms over her chest and started pushing down, "Wake up!" she screamed. She opened his mouth and transferred her breath to his, she checked again but there was still no sign of him breathing. Tears were now streaming down Yirin's face as she continued to push down on Joonmyun's chest as she called the ambulance. "I need an ambulance!" she shouted to he other line.

"Ma'am you need to-"

"No! I need an ambulance! My husband's life is at stake right now if you don't--urgh forget you!" she hung up. With much struggle, she got Joonmyun in her car and started driving to the hospital. Yirin wiped her on-going tears as she looked at him laying in the back seat. "Joonmyun-ah, please be okay. The doctor said 3 months, not now!" she cried.

 

Yirin was sitting in the waiting room biting her thumb nail. She propped her elbows on her uncontrollably shaky knees. She was troubled, concerned, afraid and heartbroken all in one. Her heart shook with anxiety and she was on the verge of breaking point.

Kris walked out of the elevator with brisk steps. He walked into the waiting room and scanned for Yirin until her saw her. Once spotted, he walked to her, "What are you doing here?" he asked as he towered over her.

Yirin stood up, "He-"

"Yirin!" he interrupted her before she could finish, "Do you seriously still care about him? Why do you even bother worrying about him?!" he barked.

Yirin was appalled by his words, "Kr-"

"A few weeks ago Chanyeol saw you out with him!" Kris revealed. "I know that you haven't been going to work because you are too damn busy fooling around with him." He chuckled viciously, "How lowly do you think of me, Yirin? Do you think I'm stupid? A fool? An idiot perhaps?"

Yirin stood with shut. Guilt slowly overcame her. She looked down in shame, knowing that she should've told him about it rather than keeping it away from him.

Kris scoffed from her silence, "I really don't see why you care about him so much. He's stupid, weak, and pathetic! He's gonna die anyway so why-"

Before he could finish, Yirin had slap him hard on his cheek. With tears threatening to fall and a fuming face, Yirin glared at him. "How dare you" she lowly hissed, "How dare you say those things, especially at a time like this!"

Kris smirked as he rubbed his sore cheek, "You still love him don't you?"

That question caught her off guard. Was she still in love with him? Even she didn't know.

"That's it, "Kris said amusingly, "You are still in love with your husband." He laughed scornfully as he walked away, "Call me back when you decide who you want to be with. Me or a dead man."

Yirin watched his long legs carry him away from her. Her long awaited tears made their way down her face. She covered her face and crouched down to hug her knees. "Why now?" she whispered within her tears. She muffled her cries with her palms and covered her wet face with her arms.

"Who is the relative of Kim Joonmyun?"

Yirin stood up then quickly fixed herself. She turned to the doctor and walked towards him, "I am."

Dr. Shim smiled, "Ah, it's you again."

"How is he, doctor?" she asked, eyes scanning his for answers.

Dr. Shim sighed, "Mr. Kim almost died."

She felt her heart skip a beat.

"But I don't know how he is still alive. I was assuming that his heart can't take it but fortunately it continues to beat."

Yirin smiled as tears of joy dripped down her face, "Thank goodness!"

Dr. Shim nodded, "Mrs. Kim, or however you'd like to be addressed, your husband may be fighting his sickness until the end for you."

That took Yirin by surprise.

"You are his fighting mechanism and the reason why he is still alive right now." he paused, "I know that he still wants to live; everyone does." He held Yirin by the shoulders, "So please take care of him. I can't assure you that he will survive this the next time it occurs."

Yirin nodded and bowed, "Thank you."

The doctor patted her on the back and walked away. Yirin stared at nothing, words from the doctor repeated in her head. Your husband may be fighting his sickness until the end for you. You are his fighting mechanism and the reason why he is still alive right now.

"He's fighting this...For me, " she said to herself in disbelief.

"Mrs. Han Yirin, " the nurse called.

Yirin snapped out it and looked at the woman, "Yes?"

"You are allowed to see your husband at the moment, " she opened the door wider signaling for her to come in.

Yirin took the initiative and walked in. He's fighting for me and only me.