The Trial of Kim Jongin

Boundaries of the Heart

Hayeon didn't know how or when this new company sought for her employment as their secretary, all she knew was she was excited. She felt dejected to leave Yirin but she was given a free plane ride there—free plane ride. It couldn't have gotten any better than that. Hayeon hasn't even traveled to Gangnam or Busan before so to go all the way on the other side of the planet was so exhilarating. Yirin assured that it was a great company so Hayeon had absolutely nothing to worry about. 

She hasn't take time to learn much about her new work place. For the last two weeks from when she was informed by Yirin, she had been too busy packing and rehearsing her English. Hopefully both her attire and English language skills were far pass satisfactory and leaning towards superior; she wanted to impress her employer with an excellent first impression. Her co-worker directed Hayeon to the CEO's office then wished her good luck. Hayeon took a deep breath then walked in. The office was breathtakingly beautiful. The office had an amazing view of the city. The walls were shelved with hundreds of books that added an intellectual touch to it. The furniture were modern and chic, the perfect addition to the room's interior. The CEO had his chair turned back, perhaps admiring the scenery.

Hayeon cleared her voice, "Hello," she greeted in English, "My name is Hayeon Lee and it is an absolute pleasure to work here at LJH Suites."

"Your English is very good." Her boss swiveled his chair to look at her, "You sound almost fluent."

Hayeon's eye widened; it was Kris. She kept her straight posture and maintained her professionalism, "Yes, I have a degree in Business and a master's in the English language."

"Wow, you enunciate your 'r's perfectly," he sat back in his chair, "Magnificent."

She looked him with narrowed eyes, "What's your reason for calling me up here?" She said in Korean this time, "Is this a prank or something?"

He leaned back in his chair and answered back in Korean, "You seemed like you had plenty of leisure time in Korea so I thought maybe Canada would do you justice." Hayeon lowered her eyebrows and he chuckled lightly, "But I'm glad Yirin's words got you to come here. I would've told you myself, but I didn't know to reach you personally." He grinned and put his elbows on the desk, "I told you to give me your number."

"What happened to you?" She asked, completely changing the topic. Her question caught him off guard, "You just disappeared."

His playful smile slowly diminished, "I know when I'm not needed," he said bitterly. His lips ran flat and a painful half-smile replaced it. "Yirin never truly loved me. You know how I knew?"

Hayeon was hesitant to answer, so she remained silent.

"She never went to go get the divorce papers." He dryly chuckled from the memory, "I would remind her and when I did she would make up a different excuse every time. Whether it was 'I had a load of paperwork today' or 'I had a meeting,' something was always in the way. 'What is fated to be yours will always return to you'." He quoted, "No mater how many times I returned to Yirin and how many times she came home to me, I know in her heart she would rather be with Joonmyun; her loyalty was with him but her guilt kept her from publically leaving me." He turned to Hayeon, "That's a funny thing about Yirin. She gets easily guilt-ridden so she tries to please everyone, but in the end it just hurts much more than what was intended." Kris looked at Hayeon then laughed, "Wow, I probably sound like such a softie right now." He laughed from embarrassment.

Hayeon shook her head, "No, you sound like a real man who has matured and chosen what was best for him." She picked up the stack of his paperwork, "Are these completed, Mr. Wu?" She returned to speaking English. "Where should I place them?"

He liked this side of her. Actually, he liked it a lot. He could honestly get used to this. 


It was a well known fact that Yirin was the more excited one in the situation. Joonmyun was finally discharged from the hospital. A few days after he had awoken, they had transferred him to the Seoul hospital since it was closer to home. The doctors in Hampyeong were growing pitiful of Yirin for wasting so much gas everyday diligently visiting Joonmyun all the way from Seoul.

Yirin smiled and ran to Joonmyun and the nurse that was wheeling him. "I'll take it from here, thank you." She bowed her head to the nurse and strolled her husband to the front of the hospital where she parked. "Hello Mr. Kim, you are well and are now leaving the hospital," she said in a nurse-like voice, "How do you feel?"

"With a nurse as beautiful as you, I'll always feel better."

Yirin smiled and kissed him on the cheek, "I have great news," she helped him in the car.

"What is it?" he asked.

She shut the passenger door with a cheeky grin on her face. She got in then quietly started to drive. Joonmyun waited patiently for his wife to answer him. "There's going to be a new addition to the family." She said casually as she made a turn out of the hospital.

Joonmyun smiled, "Yirin, you're not..."

She nodded, "I'm pregnant," she squealed happily, "Doctor said seven weeks in."

Joonmyun's smile disappeared. A worried look came to his face, "But my disease, I don't want to worry about passing it to my children."

Yirin softly smiled then smooth his fringe, "Then don't; don't worry about them. Let's just love them with all of our hearts. Even if they carried your disease, it'll be okay because as long as we provide them with utmost love and care the pain would eventually subside some time."

"What about Kris?"

Yirin sighed. She thought he was much smarter than this. The topic has been dragging on for so long and finally it has reached it's ending point. "Kris isn't in the picture anymore, Joonmyun." She looked at him then back at the road, "I never had the heart to get the divorce paperwork. I was just so pressured by him that I felt like I needed to get it filled out and never really thought about it. I didn't want a divorce, but he made me think that I did."

He held her hand then kissed it, "Thank you so much for choosing me."

She smiled softly at him, "It's always been you, Joonmyun. I was just too dumb to realize it." She continued to drive, "Kyungsoo's trial is today. Did you want to go watch it?"

"I completely forgot, yeah let's go."

"But you need to rest."

"It's okay, I wanted to go watch it anyway. Plus," he sat up in his seat and put on a mighty voice, "I'm better now so I can pull through."

Yirin laughed as she rolled her eyes, "Whatever you say."

 


They entered the court room and quietly sat down. "He's doing his closing argument," Joonmyun whispered to Yirin.

Kyungsoo turned to the judge, “Your honor, the charges against my client are remotely a huge assumption. Because he held connections with Huang Zitao and Oh Sehun, he was accused as contributing to the drug trafficking portion of the case and actively engaging in the ion ring." He looked at the court room and saw Joonmyun and Yirin at the back. He grinned shortly then continued with his powerful speech, "Kim Jongin was brought into this industry with the desire of cash from Oh Sehun. Of course being a broke college student who needed to pay off his student loans, Jongin was complete intrigued by this simple and quick-earning occupation. With the promise of safety and security by Huang Zitao, he entered the business with only one task: to assemble women and see which were good for profit.”

With the snap of his fingers, the lights turned off. Kyungsoo opened his laptop and up at the overhead was his slideshow to give the jury a visual.

“My client, Kim Jongin, was the one who rounded up the girls. Huang Zitao was the drug conductor in this case. Being the only Chinese man in the trio, he was able to smuggle drugs from Hong Kong and ship them to various destinations like Chicago and Cuba.” He pressed a button that went to the next slide, showing various places that were part of the drug ring. He took out a laser pointer from his pants pocket and pointed it to the screen, “It was a meth and trade route starting from Cuba, to Chicago, Hong Kong, then to their underground lab here in Seoul, South Korea.” He pointed with a laser beam as he pointed out the route. Kyungsoo snapped and the lights turned back on. “Oh Sehun’s association with this whole ordeal was to simply poison the girls with the smuggled drugs and have them addicted to it so giving themselves away would be much more easier.”

He turned back to the judge, “So your honor, to say that my client was a procurer or an accomplice would be correct. But to call him a drug dealer would be completely and utterly false. As for the ual abuse, assault, and of the women, Jongin did not engage. On his records, it shows that he was indeed participating on multiple accounts however,” he clicked the next slide where it showed Jongin’s tattoo, “The three men each have a wolf tattoo on their left arm; a pact that they made promising that if one were to be detained, all three of them would also receive the same punishment.”

Tao and Sehun looked at Jongin with fury. “This little er,” Tao snarled with clenched teeth. His fist tightened and shook.

Sehun look Jongin, who was sitting next to him, with a small laugh, “I knew he couldn’t keep up." He said much calmer than Tao, "He doesn’t deserve the tattoo of brotherhood.”

Jongin looked at the two men next to him then looked down. The way they talked as if he wasn’t able to hear them was incredible. He shook it off and regained his posture. At least his sentencing would be less severe.

“Kim Jongin was practically their chauffeur to danger.” Kyungsoo moved onto his next slide where various videos of blurred women with computerized voice overs were shown describing how Jongin did them no harm.

“The Chinese one...He...He was the one that made me...”
“Sehun would drug us all then force us into...”
“The other two were always the harmful ones, but he would really just drop us off and leave.”

Kyungsoo paused the video, “‘Drop us off and leave.’ Huh,” he turned to the jury, “As you can see, my client did no harm to the ladies. The only harmful thing he probably did was leave them in the hands for two demons who turned them into slaves.” He turned to judge, “So your honor, in conclusion to all this, Kim Jongin did not commit human trafficking or any drug distributing of that matter. He was simply an accomplice to both.” Kyungsoo bowed to the judge, jury, then the court as he took his seat.

He turned to look at Yirin and Joonmyun. They gave him bright smiles and four thumbs up. Kyungsoo grinned proudly then scanned the rest of the crowd. As always, there was more than a few people watching. However he couldn't help but notice a woman wearing sunglasses in the court room. If she was trying to make herself blend in, she was doing a terrible job at it. Kyungsoo suspected that she was the lover of Oh Sehun or Hwang Zitao. Either way, Kyungsoo  kept his eye on her. His instincts told him that she was someone to pay attention to. The court was dismissed as the jury was to come together to discuss about the three men's sentencing.

 

Jongin's legs crossed at the ankle and his elbows were propped up. His foot shook as it rested on top of the other and he scanned the court room, praying to whatever being of greater existence that his sentence would be shortened. Kyungsoo pat him on the back and assured him that his time would be shorter than the others.

"Members of the Jury," the judge addressed, "Have you reached this verdict unanimously?"

"Yes, your honor."

"In the matter of Hwang Zitao, under Article 365 Section 12, we hereby sentence you to thirty-five years in prison without parole for multiple offenses involving and methamphetamine."

Zitao shut his eyes and threw his head back. His eyes stared at the tiles on the ceiling as he let the information sink in. He was going to spend the next thirty-five years of his life in prison. He scoffed then raised his head up again.

"Under Article 478 Section 88, Oh Sehun is also sentenced to thirty years in prison without parole for running a ion ring."

Sehun's face remained emotionless. He looked at how Zitao's body language seemed distressed. He scoffed at him because they all knew they had this coming. He looked at Jongin then his tapping foot, anxiously pounding at a rhythme. Sehun looked away then shook his head.

"And in the matter of Kim Jongin, under Article 690 Section 19, we hereby sentence you to fifteen years in prison with parole."

Jongin's foot stopped tapping and he sat up straight.

The judge bang on his gavel then stood up, "Court is dismissed."

Fifteen years was a lot, but Jongin was just glad that Kyungsoo was right. He turned to the man with a huge smile on, "You were right," he sniffled as he felt his emotions get the better of him, "My sentence was less severe." The guard came to Jongin. He stood up and bow to Kyungsoo, "Thank you so much for believing in me and doing your job."

Kyungsoo stood up and pat him on the shoulder, "Do well and remember you will get out soon."

The guard took Jongin away but he turned around just in time, "Take care of Minrin and be a good father to my child. I'm trusting you, Do Kyungsoo, to be the man that I couldn't be."

Kyungsoo slump down in his seat and shut his eyes. The case was finally over. He remembered when he loathed Jongin but now he was the person that the man placed his trust in. He thought about Jongin's words. "How can I take care of her when I don't even know where she's at?" 

"You did great out there, Kyungsoo!" Yirin said in a cheerful voice.

Kyungsoo looked at the couple then smiled, "Thanks." He turned to Joonmyun, "Can you even be here? Shouldn't you be resting?"

"I should be many things but here I am now, just appreciate it." Joonmyun replied jokingly.

Kyungsoo looked past the couple and saw the woman walk out while talking on the phone. "I'm sorry but something just came up." He gathered up his things and pushed back them, "Sorry for leaving so quickly! It's nice to see you again and glad to have you back, Joonmyun!" He followed her out of the court house then discreetly tuned in to her conversation.

 

"Hey, Minrin, your man is seriously great in court. If I weren't with Myungsoo, I'd totally go for him. I don't know why you kept pushing him away in the first place. Gentleman on the outside, y lawyer in court."

Minrin rolled her eyes as she slowly walked down the aisle of her work place, "Whatever, so what was Jongin's sentencing?"

"Well thanks to your man, his time was shorter than the rest who got like thirty years behind bar, no probation. Jongin was sentenced to fifteen years but if he does well then he can come out sooner."

"Thank you for driving all the way to Seoul and watching it for me," Minrin thanked, "I'll bake you a delicious red velvet cake as a gift of gratitude."

"It's fine, I was going to go visit Myungsoo anyway so it's all good. But I definitely do not mind a red velvet cake so thanks." She looked at her wristwatch, "It's almost 1:45, Myungsoo's on his lunch break. Bye, talk to you later. Gonna go surprise my boyfriend to see if he's as faithful as he says he is," she ended with bitter words.

Minrin laughed, "Thank you again," then she hung up.

Taegi tucked her phone in her coat pocket then waved to catch a taxi. Kyungsoo sought his chance and quickly ran to her, "Excuse me," Taegi turned around, "You're Minrin's sister right?"

Taegi's eyes widened, "No..." She wasn't lying. "I'm...Her cousin," she said more awkwardly as she continued to trial her words. She flatly smiled and waved her hands faster. Hopefully the taxi drivers could identify the urgency of her motion. TAXI! She wanted to yell.

"So you're a relative of her," he clarified. "Do you know where she's at? You were just speaking to her am I correct?"

Lying was easy, on-spot lying was a little bit more difficult but manageable. However lying to a lawyer and having him believe your lie was one of the hardest things to do. "I actually don't know," she lied casually. From the corner of her eye, she saw the yellow taxi approach her. The car stopped right in front of her and she sighed in relief, "I'd love to talk more but the taxi's here so–" she opened the door and quickly sat down. She lied that Kyungsoo was a stranger that refused to leave her alone and urged the man to quickly drive away.

Kyungsoo looked at the taxi then he took out his phone and dialed her number. 


So for this whole trial thing, I used American law because as much as I love "I Hear Your Voice," I don't know much about Korean law. I exaggerated the sentencing so the things here are absolutely not accurate because I just pulled them from my . P.S. Did anyone sense a little bit of Taken here? I love that movie so much. Anyway the whole Section Yadayada was completely but I’m sure none of you will actually google that.