Chapter 5 - New beginnings.

Our Love After Reply 1997

 

It was the start of winter, the season of love.

 


 

Eunji is standing at the side of the road with bags of things, waiting for someone. The camera pans up to where she is standing. Eunji pulls her coat tighter around her as the icy wind harshly whips her hair across her face. She looks across the street and checks her reflection in the glass window of a vintage boutique and tucks her hair behind her ear. Eunji shivers; waiting for In Guk wasn’t what she expected for the first day of their ‘marriage’, especially in the cold. Just then, a black sedan pulls up along the side of the road, the side window rolls down and reveals In Guk’s face.

 

“Eunji-ya, get on”

Eunji pulls open the door of passengers seat and is greeted by the warmth of the heater in the car. She quickly jumps into the car and plops her bags onto the back seats, warming her hands in front of the heated air.

 

“Oppa! I was waiting for so long. It’s freezing out there. Why are you so late?”

 

In Guk looks guiltily at Eunji, “Mianhae, I was stuck in a jam”. He reaches into the pocket of his coat and pulls out a can of hot coffee, passing it to Eunji.

“Cha, drink it while its warm.”

Eunji takes it from his hand and looks at In Guk with a grateful smile, moved by this simple action.

“ Ooh~ Oppa, when did you learn how to do these things? You’ve never done these things when we were filming Reply 1997”

“Ya, I’ve always been this nice okay, don’t give the viewers the wrong impression.” In Guk says as he points to the camera installed to the front of the car.

“Wae, it’s the truth! “ Eunji says jokingly as she flips the tab of the coffee can open.

She takes a sip of the warm coffee and it fills her stomach with a pleasant warmth.

“Oppa, are you okay? You know, your accident?”

In Guk nods, “The stitches on my cheek can be removed soon and my hand is fine now.”

Eunji smiles, relieved to know that In Guk is okay. She reaches into her bag and pulls out some snacks she prepared for the long ride to the WGM village.  

She pulls open the top of the tupperware and feeds In Guk a slice of kimbap before stuffing one into her own mouth.

“Oppa, I’m so excited to go to our newlywed house. I heard that the WGM village is really nice, there’s a swimming pool, garden and the houses are huge!”

“Oh, nado. We are going to do so many things together.”

“I brought a lot of things to decorate our house with. Mostly the Reply 1997 fan art and items the fans sent to our dorm.” Eunji excitedly tells In Guk.

“Keke, I brought those too and also other things.”

 


 

The 45 minute drive seemed too short, Eunji and In Guk still had many things to talk about but they had already reached the WGM Village.

 

In Guk gets out of the car first and runs over to open the door for Eunji. He then goes to the boot to grab the rest of the things before they make their way to their house.

“Oppa, our house is the second one from the left. It looks good just from the outside!”

In Guk leads the way and soon the two are in front of their newlywed house. He pushes the door open to reveal a well-furnished home. Eunji enters first, slipping off her shoes and dropping her bags before running off to venture. In Guk laughs and brings all the bags into the house before starting his adventure too.

“OPPA! THE HOUSE IS REALLY NICE!” Eunji shouts from the balcony of the second story. In Guk makes his way upstairs to Eunji and they both continue their venture together. Eunji peeks through the door to their master bedroom and squeals, causing In Guk to jump.

“Wae? What’s inside?” Eunji swings the door wide open, revealing a large bed with a dresser near the far side of the room and a huge bathroom. She runs in and jumps onto the bed before flopping down onto it. In Guk follows suit then gets up to check out the bathroom.

“WOAH, THE BATHROOM IS REALLY NICE.”

“Oppa, is the bathroom the only place you care about?”

“Aniyo, the bedroom has to be the nicest..” In Guk smirks and gives Eunji his cheeky smile.

“YA OPPA! Are you crazy!” She slaps In Guk on his back then goes down the stairs into the kitchen.

“Ya Jung Eunji! How can you hit your husband!” He chases after her.

The two end up in the kitchen and Eunji is amazed by the well-equipped kitchen.

“Eunji-ya, you’re going to have to cook for me okay, I like home-cooked food the best.”

“Araso! I’m good at cooking okay! I learned a lot from my mother.”

 

The two gather in the living room with their bags of things, revealing what they brought.

Eunji begins by opening the bag full of Reply 1997 fan goods, pulling out paintings, figurines and other things. In Guk does the same and they spread out to decorate the house with these things. Eunji then opens another bag of things, this time its things for them to use.

“Ta-da! Couple items! “She exclaims, pulling out couple slippers, mugs, shirts, aprons and even cushions.

In Guk laughs at the sight of these items, “Ya, what am I going to do with all these stuff then?” He grabs another bag of his and pulls out more couple items.

“AH! What are we going to do with all these things?”

“It’s okay, when the old ones are dirty, we’ll use the new ones.”

 

After an hour of packing, cleaning and decorating, Eunji and In Guk flop onto their couch, exhausted.

“Oppa, don’t we have to have a housewarming party now?” In Guk looks at Eunji who is staring at the celiling.

Then Eunji turns her head to face In Guk.

 

Their faces were so close to each other. It didn’t feel the same when they were filming for the kiss scenes in Reply 1997. This time, it was reality.

 


 

Eunji gets up immediately, flushing red. In Guk does so too, awkwardly replying;

“Yeah we have to, we can call our friends over for the party.”

Eunji nods and pulls out her phone to call her Apink members and her sunbaes.

In Guk pulls out his phone too but stares blankly at it. His heart was pounding so hard, it felt as if the beating of his heart echoed throughout the room.

 

Jung Eunji, why do you make me feel this way?

 

Eunji’s voice snaps In Guk out of his confusion as she speaks to her Apink members. In Guk quickly dials his hoobaes and his friends, VIXX and invites them for the housewarming party.

 

Eunji and In Guk begin to prepare for the party. Eunji was in charge of cooking while In Guk took the job of cleaning the house.

“Oppa, we need to go to the supermarket first, we don’t have anything at home to cook”

“Araso, let’s go!” In Guk grabbed his keys and the two made their way to the car.

As they walked down the pavement to get to the car, the harsh wind blew once more. Eunji shivered and stopped in her tracks, clenching her fists together, fighting against the cold.  In Guk quickly runs his hands down Eunji’s arms, attempting to warm her up while quickly making their way to the car. As soon as they reach the car, he ushers Eunji into the car then goes to the boot to get a blanket before getting into the driver’s seat himself. He opens the blanket for Eunji and places it over her lap, hoping that it will help to warm her up.

Eunji looks at In Guk who is red-nosed and sniffing from the cold as well.

“Oppa, what about you?” She tugs at the blanket over her lap.

“Oh, it’s okay, I’m not cold. Keep that over your lap. Ya, Jung Eunji, why did you dress so skimpily when it’s so cold out.”

 

Eunji doesn’t look at In Guk but quietly answers “The stylist unni chose the outfit for me.”

“Aigoo, you should have worn something thicker. What are we going to do if you catch a cold?”

Eunji guiltily looks at In Guk’s face then at his hands on the steering wheel which are still frozen from the cold weather.

 


 

After they reach the supermarket, In Guk turns off the engine then unravels the scarf around his neck, putting it around Eunji’s instead. They both get off and head towards the supermarket. They walk side by side, In Guk stuffs his hands into his pocket and breathes out a mist of air. Eunji’s heart ached to see In Guk suffer in the cold like this, for her. She put the blanket over In Guk and her shoulders, causing them to walk closer to each other. In Guk then pulls out one of his hands from his pocket, wrapping it around Eunji’s shoulder and pulling her closer to him. Eunji was shocked by being so close to him, feeling his warmth, his embrace. It felt good to be so close to him, she felt safe and assured. The doors of the supermarket opened and the warmth of the heaters greeted the two. In Guk grabbed a basket by the entrance and the two of them started their shopping.

 

“Oppa, what do you want to eat? I’ll make it for you”

“Really?”

Eunji nodded as she glanced past the baskets filled with fruit.

“I want to eat Bulgogi Jungol!”

“Araso, so we need chicken, mushrooms…”

 

After about half an hour at the supermarket Eunji got everything they needed and they went back to the WGM village to prepare for the party.

 

As soon as they got back to the house, Eunji began to cook and In Guk prepared the house for the party. In Guk finished early so he went to the kitchen to see how his ‘wife’ was doing. He brought the polaroid camera along and began to snap pictures of Eunji.

“Ya Oppa, don’t take photos! I look really weird now.”

“Aniyo, you’re prettier when you cook”

Eunji smiled coyly at his comment then called In Guk over to try the stew.

 


 

*Ding dong~*

The doorbell rang.

In Guk and Eunji became more jittery and anxious, frantically prancing about the house to make sure that everything was packed and ready before they receive their guests. Eunji took off her apron and untied her bun, making sure she looked presentable. In Guk put his hand on the handle of the door, looking at Eunji for confirmation before pushing down the handle and opening the door.

 

“Oh, Omma!” Eunji exclaimed

 

“Appa!” In Guk said in shock.