A Break

Remember Us?

Thank you to my extra subscriber:MilkShaaake! I like your username, I haven't had milkshakes in a loong time :P

I think that I'm going to update every two days, hopefully I can stick to that. Because of this new project that's worth like 70% of my grade I might even have to take a hiatus sometime, but we'll see...

 

~~~~

 

December 21, 2012 (Skipping ahead to more interesting parts)

“Promise! Never tell Ilhoon!” I’ve kept that promise; I haven’t spoken about anything concerning their father for weeks now. I mean, Ilhoon doesn’t know we had the conversation but I was just aching to tell him what Junhyung had divulged. I know, meeting their father again was a huge deal. Apparently he’s a gang leader, someone they never loved, and killed people who disobeyed his stupid guidelines. But the problem of him trying to contact Junhyung was another game-changer; he wanted to get back into his children’s lives but they wanted to exclude him for as long as possible. Because of what Ilhoon and Junhyung want, I’ve bitten my tongue.

Now, Ilhoon’s winter break should start today. He’s been working really hard this year from his past grades he’s told me about! He’s also been smoking and drinking less, sometimes he’ll have a shot or once in a while take a five minute break outside but he’s been so good. I’m so happy that he’s finally taking his life in the right direction again! Junhyung went to go pick up Ilhoon in the car while Hara and I waited for them. I guess we’ve gotten close, the girlfriends of two brothers who had their affective cons. “I think the problem was that Ilhoon got too westernized,” Hara nodded to herself.

“What do you mean?” I raised my eyebrows.

“Well, Peniel came to South Korea two years ago. But he was born and raised in the United States, Chicago, Illinois.” Oh, that’s why he’s so good at English…I’ve heard Peniel speak on the phone with Ilhoon before. Sometimes he’ll break into English during their conversations.

“So, what does that have to do with drinking and smoking?” I asked, still not getting it.

“Aren’t American teenagers known for doing that stuff?” she asked back and I rolled my eyes.

“Now you’re just being racist,” I told her and she smiled. Just then the two brothers walked in, laughing like they usually did. Ilhoon was just taking off his assigned school blazer while Junhyung removed his snazzy leather jacket.

“You’re such a dork!” Junhyung rolled his eyes at his younger sibling, reminding me of Hara for a moment.

“What?! I don’t hold grudges against people I fight in the same school!” Ilhoon threw his arms up dramatically and took a seat next to me, Junhyung doing the same with Hara. Ilhoon gently kissed my cheek, smiling. “Hey.”

“Hey, what’re you guys talking about?” I wondered.

“This guy, he wants to be an all-around kid so he’s being friendly to everyone even the 13 who tried to kick his last month!” I turned to my insane boyfriend who only smiled slightly bashful. Those guys hurt him pretty badly, and those were only two of them!

“It’s not a problem, I don’t hold grudges, plus they’re not that bad. I can become bilingual,” he smirked. The idea of Ilhoon learning to say things without anyone else knowing didn’t exactly help my nerves.

“Like that’s helpful, so, what do you wanna do for winter break? We got a month left,” Junhyung reminded, causing Ilhoon to bite his lip and stare up as he thought. It would be nice to go somewhere for winter break, spend some quality time.

“I wanna go play with some snow! Let’s head to the U.S!” he replied cheerfully.

Woah the U.S?! I get it, he’s still a kid at heart and likes the snow but can he even hold a conversation in English yet?! I stared at him, mouth slightly agape while he continued to smile. “You want to go to the United States?” I asked him again and he nodded.

“Ne, I know it’s kind of sudden but they have snow there…in most places,” he shrugged.

“Can you speak English yet?” Hara asked him, she and Junhyung seemed calm enough.

“I’m getting better, but Aron said he can come with us. I wanna tell him about Sohyun,” Ilhoon decided and wrapped his arms around my waist. Yeah, Ilhoon hasn’t told any of his friends about us yet so hearing him want to tell Aron was both nerve racking and exciting. “He’ll understand, our privacy and reasons,” he kissed my cheek softly, making me feel warm.

“Why Aron? Didn’t he just arrive to your school?” I wondered. Ilhoon’s had other friends for a few years, so why a guy that he’s known for a few months?

“Aron Hyung is trustworthy, he’s better, he’s more compassionate. He’ll get it all and I find him closer to me than others,” Ilhoon said. I guess those are good reasons, the rest of his friends are none of those!

“Alright, but I have to check in with my Unnies,” I added making him smile even wider.

“Let’s go now!” he decided, helping me up.

“Now?” I sighed.

“Yes! Now! Bye Hyung! Later Noona!” he called as he already ran out of the door, nearly forgetting his car keys. I rolled my eyes and followed him slowly. I looked back for a minute. 

“Annyeong Oppa, Unnie,” I haven’t called them that before, but I should start.

“Make sure my kid brother obeys traffic laws!” Junhyung called as I left, making me feel more comfortable knowing it wasn’t weird.

I sat silently in Ilhoon’s car, our hands interlocked as one hand held the wheel. He probably shouldn’t have held my hand but oh wells. He drove along the smooth roads with big smile on his face. He’s really excited to go to America, I wonder why all of a sudden. He hurriedly parked the car outside of the house, glad to notice all of the cars home. “Come on!” he encouraged my lazy self as I leisurely unbuckled and stepped out of the car. He dragged me along, eagerly running in and kicking off his shoes. “NOONAS! I NEED QUESTIONS ANSWERED!” he shouted throughout the house.

“HOLD ON!” Gayoon was heard.

“SHUT UP!” that was Hyuna; she was probably sleeping or something. 

“ANI!” Ilhoon yelled in reply. He seems comfortable yelling at them like a little kid; even I’m scared to do that! All four of my “sisters” clambered down the stairs, groaning and whining. They were all still in PJ’s despite it being one in the afternoon, they’re just that productive.

“What do you want?” Jihyun groaned, rubbing her face tiredly. They looked like they just got out of bed, which they probably did.

“Can Sohyun come to the United States with me?” he grabbed my hand, holding it tightly as everyone eventually snapped to their senses. For a minute they were too shocked to answer, staring at us like we committed a crime.

“The U.S? For winter break or something?” Jiyoon asked and he nodded.

“Ne, I know it’s sudden but I want to go and I want her to come along,”  he slightly jumped in happiness, I smiled at his excitement.

“I don’t know, who’s speaking the English cuz it sure as hell isn’t either of you,” Jihyun said and stretched her arms. It was a harsh way of putting it but it was true.

“I know, my friend who is originally Korean-American is coming so he’ll translate for us. And I’m not that bad!” he scoffed but come on; he can pretty much only answer short responses and order off a menu.

“Hm, where in the U.S?” Gayoon asked. I didn’t even think about that…

“Washington State! It snows a lot over there!” he responded with a go-to-lucky tone. That’s in like the Northwest, it’s a little colder there in the winter, but Ilhoon’s right. I’ve heard they’ve had a ton of snow and a lot of greenery.

“That place isn’t so bad is it?” Hyuna asked Gayoon who shrugged. Yeah, when you think of the U.S over here you think of California or New York. Those are the more recognizable places.

“I don’t know, don’t think so,” Jiyoon thought. Ilhoon shook his leg repeatedly, a habit that I’ve noticed he does when he’s nervous. There was a chance my Unnies would say no, and there was a chance they would say yes.

“Aron Hyung also has a cabin up in Mt. Baker, I think it was, it’s totally private and we get all these cool stuff in a mountain!” he added, probably to calm his own nerves.

“I wanna go now!” Jihyun sighed and I smiled.

“Does that mean I can go?” I wondered. They paused.

“Yeah,” they all sighed deeply.

Ilhoon practically jumped up and down and ran around the house whooping until his voice cracked. We all laughed but I felt glad as well, we get to have some time alone and I get to meet one of his friends. Aron seems nice except for the fact he had used Ilhoon’s spiked black knuckles that one time…Ilhoon told me. He also said that he looked like a hawk, not sure how much of that to believe but we’ll see. After Ilhoon wasted his energy running he collapsed onto the couch snoring so I got to talk to my Unnies. “You guys seem to be close; you’re dating him for real still right?” Jiyoon mumbled softly and I nodded.

“I’m glad, he’s not perfect but he’s right for me,” I smiled, slightly bashful.

“Just don’t want you to get hurt, and pack warm it’s cold up in the mountains,” Gayoon cautioned and I nodded understanding. I stood up and stretched slightly.

“I’m gonna pack then,” I yawned and strode over to the couch, poking my sleeping boyfriend in the ribs.

“Hm?” he asked, not annoyed like most people would, but just tiredly.

“I’m gonna pack, you should too,” I told him and he nodded as he stretched and yawned. He jumped up and smiled even if he was still groggy.

“Alright, I’ll come back to get you later. Our flight is at 6 so don’t eat,” he kissed my nose and I paused.

“Did you know my Unnies and I would say yes?”

“Boyfriend’s intuition,” he shrugged with a smirk.

After I had packed I also began wondering who was gonna drive the car back since Junhyung, Hara, Ilhoon, and I were all going to the airport. Ilhoon can’t ask any of his friends so how was that gonna work? When the doorbell rang I lugged my bags to the door only to remember how stupid I was in forgetting Junhyung’s friends. The baby faced Yoseob was slightly jumping in the seat of Junhyung’s black Escalade with a big grin and a frantic wave in my direction. It made me question whether he’s safe as a driver or not…Ilhoon and Junhyung helped me with my bags while I sat next to Hara and Junhyung went in the back. The light gray interior seats were smooth and comfortable under my body. “Sohyun! I haven’t seen you in forever!” Yoseob exaggerated as he kept his eyes on the road and turning the wheel. I smiled a little.

“It was only a few months,” I shrugged.

“But that was in the summer! It’s winter now!” he said, making Ilhoon nod.

“I know! Oh, hold on Aron’s calling,” Ilhoon reached inside of his pants pocket and pulled out his phone, checking it and then answering. “Yo Hyung!” he said enthusiastically. He paused for a minute, listening to the muffled voice of Aron Kwak. “Ne, we’re on our way,” he replied. “I’m bringing someone for you to meet, you’ll find out soon enough,” he chuckled lightly. That’s me! I thought happily. “Alright, just got on the plane we’ll be there in time, annyeong,” he then hung up and turned to Yoseob. “Aron’s already there, no need to speed but it’ll be fun.” So of course Yoseob, being the fun little Hyung/Oppa he is, starting slamming the gas causing everyone (I couldn’t help it!) to raise our arms and cheer all the way.

Surprisingly the cops didn’t pull us over; I don’t think there were any out on the streets actually. We all jumped out of the large car once he slowed to a stop and grabbed our bags. I began to get a little nervous, what do I do when I meet Aron? How will he take it that we’ve been dating for nearly four months? What if he isn’t as understanding as Ilhoon described? As we entered security and walked towards the gate my heart began beating faster and faster, the anxiety piling up inside of me. Ilhoon seemed excited, I’m sure he’s wanted to open up to someone and Aron seemed close enough to him. I really hope he chose right, his gang is his life. He’s totally changed himself to fit them; he’s given up his life for them. I guess girls aren’t the only ones who care about their images and the people they hang out with, if anything, I feel like Ilhoon went too deep in their relationship.

As we walked through the connection pathway (after saying goodbye to an emotional and clingy Yoseob) Junhyung and Ilhoon ran around acting like dorks with their arms outstretched and making buzzing noises despite the luggage. I swear these guys are five year olds in public! Well anyway, the first face I saw when we entered the airplane was Aron’s. Ilhoon was right, his eyes resembled that of a hawk and I guess his facial structure too but he wasn’t so sharp. He had his hair down slightly over his eyebrows and had red and black Beat ear buds on. His head bobbed to the music and when he looked up his face brightened. You could say he was cute but he’s not my style. As we walked closer his face became a little confused seeing me but nonetheless he was good at keeping straight faces. “Aron Hyung! You know Junhyung and Hara, but this girl,” he took my hand, “This is my girlfriend of 78 days, Sohyun,” He’s counted? I felt better at that thought, he actually kept count of the days not just rounding it or guessing. Aron raised his eyebrows, not as surprised as I expected. He stood up and smiled warmly, also making me feel better.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Sohyun ah. I’m Aron, I’ve heard about you,” he smirked and held out his hand. He has?! I widened my eyes and turned to Ilhoon who seemed equally surprised. 

 

A/N: Yeah, in NU'EST I admit I'm kind of biased on Aron >.< Don't judge! Anyway, I chose Washington because yes it's pretty cold and I live there. Besides, California where Aron is really from, doesn't have a lot of snow :P Either way we all speak English right??