Chapter 1, A Man And His Thoughts.

Forever. (My Jongkey fanfic.)

 

Kibum
 
I get into my car, and back out of the driveway. I need to go get the mail, and see if my application came in. I've been wanting to get into the Seoul Institute of the Arts for years. And today, I finally get to know if I did. I drive a little ways up the road, and stop to grab the mail. I pull all the junk mail out, and slam it into the trashcan next to the mailbox. I get a little dramatic sometimes. I finally find a huge packet. OH. MY. GOD. They only use big packets for the people who get in, right!? Does that mean I got in!? Oh God! Wait, what if I didn't!? Ahh~ someone help! Okay, open it later. Leave it in the car, Kibum, you need to go to work. I get back in my car, and drive up the hill and through the rough dirt road leading to my work. I've lived  in America for a while now, and I still can't get used to how much dirt there is here. I drive up to the old convenience store, also dusty and dirty. I park and kill the engien, getting out and smelling the thick, humid air surrounding me. Life in Washington state was hard enough as it is with all the dirt, but also the humidity made my hair a living hell. I had to use at LEAST three bottles of hairspray a WEEK. That's alot of hairspray! I walk though the doors into the cold, clean smelling store and walk to the desk. I grab my things and run to the back. I have to open today. Awesome. I put on my uniform, which I added pink to (to make it look better), and procieded to the door to open up - only to find someone already waiting for it to open. This boy looked like a boy, mixed with a puppy. Kind of cute, but also like a dinosour... I open the doors and let him in with a smile.
 
"Thank you." the boy says, walking in and looking around. "I'm looking for chocolate milk... My girlfriend is freaking out again."
It then occurs to me that I've seen this boy before. In the store, I mean. With his girlfriend. Sekyung.
 
"Oh, yeah. That way." I say, pointing to the back, where the beverages are.
 
"Oh, right." he says, smacking his forhead. "Duh. Thanks." He runs to the back of the store, grabbing a carton of chocolate milk. I slowly make my way to the register and wait. He runs back at slaps it down on the counter and I scan it.
 
"Three fifty, please." I say in a monotone I have perfected.
 
"Oh, money, right...." I narrow my eyes and watch as he digs through his pockets to round up three and a half dollors. "Um, I don't seem to have braught my wallet..." he says, looking down. I just sigh.
 
"No money, no milk." I say, pulling the milk over to me and poping open the spout.
 
"I know, I know..." He looks frustrated now. Digging through his pockets again as I take a good long sip of the chocolate milk.
 
"Ahh~ but I guess, since I just drank some, I'll give it for free." I say, sliding it back to him. "Just hold it over the security alarms, okay?" I go back to my monotone voice, and point to the door.
 
"Th-thank you..." he says, blinking. "Right! Thank you, um..."
 
"Kibum." I hold out my hand and smile.
 
"I'm Jonghyun." he says, shaking my hand with a firm grip. "Thanks again!" He runs out, holding the open milk over his head. I sigh again, this time because I wanted to talk more.
 
The day rushes by in a blurr after that, coustomers coming and going and teenagers trying to steal stuff. I finally get to close up and go home, when I remembered my collage application letter! I drive home slowly, thinking about what would happen if I got in. Go to South Korea, to SEOUL, for crying out loud! Go to a school where I didn't have to speak English ALL THE TIME. And get a job just the same. But then, what if I don't get in? I'd stay in this little hick town, still have a hick job, and still have to deal with hick people. I have to drive down a freaking BACK ROAD just to get to work!! How pathetic!! I get to my house and pull into the driveway. I grab the packet, slam the car door, and run inside.
 
"TAEMIN!!" I scream into the house. Almost instantly, Taemin comes tumbling down the stairs, tripping over them and stumbling.
 
"WHAT-" he says, tripping and falling on his face. "WHAT IS IT!? DID IT COME IN!?"
 
"YES!!" I scream. I spin around and scream again.
 
"Well, open it!!" Taemin yells at me, scratching at the packet himself.
 
"But-" I start, drama-queen like. "what if I DIDN'T get in!?"
 
"YOU DID, YOU DID, NOW OPEN IT UP, OR I WILL!!!" Taemin screams at the top of his lungs.
 
"OKAY, FINE. SHEESH." I slowly rip the top of the packet off and pull out a letter. I read it aloud.
 
"Dear, Kim Kibum," it reads in Korean.
 
"We are happy to inform you that your qualifications meet the S.I.A. standards."
Me and Tae scream and hug each other.
 
"We would also like to inform you that the ticket for your flight is paid in full, and should be inclosed in this packet. Along with your school schedual, and a map of the campus."
 
"YOU GOT IN, I TOLD YOU!!!" Taemin screams and runs to the kitchen. "I'M MAKING COOKIES TO CELEBRATE!!!"
I breathe a sigh of releaf. Thank God. A ticket inclosed in a beautiful envalope. A ticket out. A ticket of freedom.