Picture Perfect

You're My Only Oppa

  It’s Saturday and like I promised, I was prepared to take pictures with Jongup. I get up and rush to get ready. Who knows when Jongup needs me? I grab my camera and head downstairs where I find Jeongmin cooking breakfast.

  He looks at me. “What are you doing up so early?”

  I check the time, finding it was ten. “It’s ten o’clock.”

  “Yeah, but that’s early for a waking up on a weekend. Not even your Unnie is awake.”

  “I know. She always wakes up in the afternoon on Saturdays. You might as well get used to it.” I step closer to him. “Eggs and bacon!” I exclaim as I see a plate full of them next to him. I take a bacon strip and chew on it.

  “You still didn’t answer my question.”

  Oh, right. “I’m heading out with my friend. We’re going to take pictures.”

  “You’re not going with Changjo?”

  I shake my head. “Not today.” I grab another strip and eat it quickly. “Can you tell Unnie that I’ll be out so she doesn’t worry?” I start towards the living room. “Oh, and tell her I’m not with Jonghyun and I have my phone with me. Yeah.”

  Jeongmin nods. “I’ll tell her.”

  “Thanks!” I run out the door and head towards Jongup’s house. I stand in front of the door, ready to ring. Before my fingers could reach the doorbell, the door suddenly opens.

  “Oh!” Jongup was surprised to see me. He blinks a couple of times. “Oh yeah! It’s Saturday, right?”

  I giggle. “Yeah.”

  “Ah… Hold on.” He brushes pass me, holding a trash bag. When he comes back, he stands beside me, smiling like an idiot. “Let’s go.” He holds out his arm.

  I wrap mine around him and let him lead me down the street. “Did you tell your parents already?” I ask him, knowing he didn’t go back inside when he took out the trash.

  He stops abruptly and let go of me. “No! I forgot!” He runs back inside his house. Moments later, he comes back, panting like crazy with that same idiot smile plastered on his face. “Aha… I thought I did, but everything is settled now.”

  I give him a worried look. I wonder what will happen to him when he’s exposed to the real world without anyone by his side.

  “Did you eat anything?” Jongup asks.

  “Just a bit. Why?”

  “I didn’t. You wouldn’t mind stopping by the café, do you?”

  I shake my head. “I don’t mind.”

  “Okay.”

  Jongup leads me to the café where we were seated in a booth. The waitress gives us a smile before handing us the menus. Her eyes lingers on Jongup for a while before she says, “Today we have a special-”

  Jongup looks up at her smiles.

  She blushes and clears before stating the special.

  “I’m good,” Jongup says when she finishes. “What about you, In Young? Do you want to try the special?”

  I shake my head.

  The waitress bows and leaves.

  I was sitting in front of Jongup, so I stare at him. However, he doesn’t notice me, too engulfed in the menu. I sigh and kick his shin.

  He looks up with a hurt expression.

  Aish! Why does he have to be so innocent? I feel bad for hurting him now. “Ah… Did you notice the way she was acting. She was totally flirting with you.”

  Jongup’s eyes turn to where the waitress disappeared to. He shrugs. “Yeah, I noticed, but it’s not like she really likes me. She just thinks I’m cute. Plus, I don’t even know her.”

  Ah… He thinks too much. I open my mouth to say something, but Jongup cuts me off.

  “And she’s too old.”

  I smile. “How old do you think she is?”

  “About in her mid twenties.”

  I crinkle my nose. That is quite old for him at least.

  “Do you know what you’re getting?” He asks, putting the menu down.

  “Uhm…” I skim the menu. “I’ll just get a latte.”

  “Okay.” He leans back on the cushions and closes his eyes.

  I couldn’t help but stare. I don’t know but his looks are just mesmerizing. I like how his lips were still curved in a smile as if he was dreaming about rainbows and bunnies. The more I look at him, the more I find him handsome. Also, I notice he had a mole on his nose. How come I have never seen that before? Is it because he puts makeup over it? If so, why? I think it looks cute…

  Wait! What am I thinking?! AH!

  “Are you ready for your order?” The waitress comes back, breaking my train of thought.

  “Ah! Yeah! Uhm… I’d like a latte.” I say and turn to Jongup who was now awake.

  He smiles. “I’ll have that same.”

  The waitress writes it down and bows before leaving once again.

  “Is that really what you wanted?” I ask.

  He nods.

  I blush. What are these feelings?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

  After we finish drinking our lattes, Jongup leads me to the park. “Okay. Just follow me.” He says and walks off the path.

  I follow behind, my camera wrapped around my neck. I wonder where he’s going to take me, and I hope it’s not going to be too far! I don’t want to get lost here!

  We didn’t walk far until Jongup suddenly stops. I stop at the same time as him, standing a few footsteps behind. He turns around and looks up. “See this tree behind me? Well, this is the tree that I want you to take a picture of.”

  I look up to find the tree high up in the sky. It wasn’t as tall as the other trees, but was still at a good height. “How old is this tree?” I ask out of curiosity.

  He shrugs. “Way before I was born at least.” His smile fades. “This is where I had my first confession.” His eyes shift to mine. I notice they were gleaming as tears brim his eyes. “She rejected me, but I didn’t stop going here. After all, this is where we met.” Jongup touches the trunk.

  At that moment, I snatch a picture. Perfect.

  His eyes gaze at me with shock.

  “You told me to take pictures and that’s what I’m doing.” I explain.

  Jongup smiles and wipes the tears that didn’t have a chance to fall. “I wish she could come back and visit this spot again, but ever since I confessed, she stopped going here. I guess she was embarrassed of me. We didn’t really know each other anyways. We went to different schools, lived in different places…” He bit his lip.

  I wanted to comfort him, but I couldn’t move. I don’t know why, but my body wouldn’t listen to me. Instead, it took pictures of Jongup and the tree all at once. I feel bad for taking pictures of him while he’s in this state, but I like it this way. Sure he may not look perfect in the pictures, but it shows he’s human. Everyone laughs and cries, even someone as happy as him.

  I snap my last photo of him staring straight at me, the tears b his eyes and a leaf falling and covering his left eye. I pull the camera away from my face and smile. “There you have it, pictures.”

  “Thanks.” He his lips. “C-Can we t-take one together?” He asks shyly.

  I nod my head. “Of course!” I hop next to him and wrap an arm around his shoulder. I turn the camera towards us and smile. “Ready?” I didn’t wait for a reply and snap a photo.

  “Wait!” he whines.

  I laugh. “Another one!” I make a face and snatch another.

  “I’m not ready.”

  CLICK!

  “Ah!”

  CLICK!

  “Stop it!” Jongup complains and tears away from me. He pouts.

  I laugh. Ah, he’s just too cute. “It seems like you’re warming up to me!” I exclaim.

  He blushes and his eyes trail. “Y-Yeah and?”

  “I’m glad.”

  Jongup purses his lips. “Can you tell Jonghyun something for me?”

  I put the cover on the lens and nod my head. “Sure.”

  “Tell him, I’m sorry.”

  This catches my attention. “Sorry? For what?”

  He fiddles his fingers and stares at the ground, returning to his shy state. Jongup starts turning red as he struggles for the next words. “I did something bad to him years ago. I know he doesn’t remember, but I don’t know why…”

  “He was in an accident.” I state.

  He raises his head. “An accident?”

  “Yeah. It was last semester. He lost most of his memory, but he’s slowly regaining them.”

  “Oh. I don’t want him to remember though.”

  I tilt my head in confusion. What did he do years ago? “Why? What is it?” I have to know. I want to know. Maybe it could help me understand why Jonghyun is acting that way towards sweet Jongup.

  He takes a deep breath. “I use to in freshmen year. He told me he liked this Dongsaeng and I . He got mad at me and we stopped talking ever since. He told me, he would never trust me and tell me anything that was on his mind. I don’t blame him, but… I just wish I could turn back time.”

  I pat his head. “I’m sure he’ll forgive you.”

  Jongup’s eyes meet mine. “I hope so. I just don’t know when to tell him! He forgot about it! But he’s still not talking to me. I know he can feel it deep in his heart.”

  Ah, this was getting way too depressing. I sigh and roughly pat his back, causing a loud smack sound.

  “Ouch!” Jongup arches his back and makes a pained expression. “What was that for?”

  “You worry too much! Stop worrying! I’m not used to you being like this!” I’ve only met him for a week and I already know he’s one of those kids who just smiles when something happens. It’s just weird seeing him being all depressed. “Anyways, let’s get out of here and head back home. I’m kind of tired.”

  “Already?” He looks up. “I think it’s only twelve right now. We can do more stuff.”

  I fake a yawn. I am truly tired, but not sleepy. I only did it to emphasize my feelings. “I’m sleepy and I think my Unnie will be looking for me.”

  “You didn’t tell her?”

  “Uhm… Sort of?”

  Jongup shakes his head. “And you reminded me to tell my parents. Tsk, tsk.”

  I giggle. “It’s not like she’ll notice! I bet she’s still asleep.”

  “Sure.” He starts walking.

  I follow behind, smiling like crazy. I continue to watch his back as he walks back to the community. I touch my camera. When I get home, I’ll definitely check the pictures I have taken and develop them. After that, I’ll hand Jongup the ones I want to give him. I’m thinking of keeping the last photo I took.

  When we left the park, Jongup slows his pace to walk next to me. He turns his head and smiles. “I had a good time.”

  I did a single nod. “Me, too.”

  “I was thinking if you’d like to come to the party tomorrow. You can invite Ricky, Da Ni, and Jonghyun if you want.”

  “I’ll definitely go!” I exclaim. “We’re neighbors and friends now, so of course I’ll go! And I’ll definitely ask them to come, too! The more the merrier!”

  He grins slightly and faces the front. That smile suddenly disappears and his eyes grow wide.

  Confused by the sudden expression change, I follow his gaze. My eyes widen, too. “Oh, Jonghyun.”