The New Student

You're My Only Oppa

  I arrive at school early because Unnie dropped me off. She had to drop me off because she was going to pick up Jeongmin. I could have walked like usual but she didn’t want me texting and walking at the same time. Sure I text a lot, but I won’t text all the time! Psh!

  Ah, whatever. At least I’ll have time to walk around the campus and not worry about being late.

  “In Young! What are you doing here so early?!” I hear Ricky’s voice pipe in behind me.

  I spin around and spread my arms out. “Ricky Oppa! Good morning!”

  He takes me in a tight hug and squeezes me. “Ah! Dongsaeng! I’m scared of your boyfriend! He threatened me if he ever heard you call me Oppa! That’s not fair! You called me Oppa first!” He lets me go and pouts.

  Aish. That Jonghyun. I told him not to do anything to Ricky Oppa. “Well, that just makes me want to call you Oppa then!”

  Ricky chuckles. “I’m just kidding. I understand how he feels because I get jealous when guys are staring at my girlfriend! She’s too cute and pretty for her own good!” He exclaims, indicating Da Ni, his girlfriend.

  I pat his head. “Boys and their jealousy. But then, what should I call you since Jonghyun doesn’t want me calling you Oppa?”

  “Jagiya?”

  “That’s worse!”

  “I’m just kidding! Ah, you take everything seriously!” He pinches my cheek. “Just call me Ricky then. I don’t mind.”

  “Or chipmunk.”

  He crinkles his nose. “Just Ricky.”

  “Okay…” My eyes trail and I find the new student walking towards the school.

  Once again, he looks like an idiot. He was staring at the sky while smiling as he was in his own world. He continues walking while his head swishes from side to side once in a while. I see him pause, close his eyes, and take a deep breath.

  What a weirdo…

  Ricky follows my gaze. “Who’s that?”

  “My new neighbor. He’s in your grade.”

  “Oh really?” Ricky narrows his eyes. “He looks familiar. Hmm…” He scratches his chin as he remembers a distant memory. A spark reaches his brain and he snaps his fingers. “It’s Moon Jongup! I remember him but I barely spoke to him. He went to my middle school and here for freshman year! He’s strange but really polite.”

  Wait, he knows him? Does that mean Jonghyun knows him, but then again, he has never mentioned a Moon Jongup in his life; even before the accident. I continue to watch Jongup as he walks pass the gates. Being in the middle of the courtyard causes him to spot me. He grins and waves at me.

  I wave back.

  With that same smile plastered on his face, he came up to Ricky and me. He bows politely to both of us. “Good morning!”

  I bow back. “Good morning, Jongup.”

  Ricky bows, too. “Good morning.” He pauses. “Do you remember me?”

  Jongup stares at him for a moment as recognition sparked in his brain. “Yes! You’re Changhyun! I remember you! We were in the same class, but we didn’t really talk…” His voice trails as his eyes grew distant.

  This boy is really 4D.

  Ricky nods. “But now I go by Ricky!”

  “Ricky?”

  “Yeah.”

  Jongup taps the temple of his head. “Okay. I’ll remember that.” He turns to me. “And you’re In Young, right?”

  I nod. Wow. He’s really good at names. I can tell he has a good memory for someone who looks as air headed as him. “So you really have gone to this school before,” I state, recalling what he told me yesterday.

  “Yes!” He nods his head and continues to smile. “And I’ve already met a few friends I had years ago! I’m glad they remember me.” His eyes grew small as his smile grew bigger. Aish, what is with this cute boy?

  “Ah…” He seems more talkative than the first time we met. Seems like Unnie was right when the first meetings are always awkward. I tap my feet on the ground as I don’t know what to say.

  “Do you know what your homeroom is?” Ricky asks, breaking the silence.

  Jongup shook his head frantically. “Nope. That’s why I came here early, but they’re probably going to introduce me anyways.”

  He chuckles. “Yeah, you’re right.”

  Another awkward silence. Jongup can really make things awkward without meaning to.

  From behind Jongup, I catch a glimpse of Jonghyun entering the gates. My face brightens as I see him once more. Yay! He’s here! I wave at him and yell, “Good morning, Jonghyun Oppa!”

  Jonghyun looks up as a bright smile creeps up his face. After all, I did call him Oppa. But that wasn’t the only thing I saw. I also see Jongup stiffen for a moment. He slowly turns around. I didn’t see his expression, but I knew there was something wrong.

  Jonghyun takes a glimpse at Jongup as he stands next to him. He looks at me and to Ricky. “What are you two doing here so early?”

  “I was going to ask the same thing…” Ricky mumbles.

  I smile. “Unnie dropped me off.”

  “Oh.”

  “J-Jonghyun. D-Do you re-remember me?” Jongup’s voice came shyly.

  He turns to him, blinking a couple of times. There was no sign of recognition. He tilts his head. “I’m sorry, who are you?”

  I see Jongup having a pained expression. It was the same expression I had when I realized Jonghyun had forgotten about me. He must be really close to him just like me. I was worried for Jongup. I didn’t want him to feel the same pain I had experienced. “His name is Moon Jongup.” I pipe in, hoping that hearing his name would cause recognition. But there was none.

  Jongup’s gaze drop. “I guess you erased me from your mind because of that.” He mutters. I don’t know what he meant, but I was feeling sorry for him.

  Jonghyun continues to tilt his head. “I’m sorry. I don’t know you.”

  Pain was clear on Jongup’s face. He shakes it off. “Never mind. I guess you’re really mad at me.” He bites his lip and bows his head. “I’m going to get my schedule. I’ll see you guys later.” With those words, he forces a smile and strides inside.

  I watch him with worry. I wonder what happened to them in the past.

  Ricky smacks Jonghyun on the back of his head. “Yah! You don’t remember Jongup, Changjo?”

  He shakes his head. “N-No. Not all my memory is back, remember? I mean, there’s still some blanks in my mind.” Jonghyun bows his head, feeling guilty. “This is the second time this has happened.” He turns to me.

  I wrap my arms around his and rest my head on the side of his shoulder. He’s definitely getting taller every single day! “Don’t worry about it. I’m sure you’ll remember him soon.” I clutch his sleeve. I don’t want Jongup to feel the same way I did in the past. I have to get Jonghyun to remember him and I already know what to do.