Why Are You Rude?

You're My Only Oppa

  This morning was pretty much the same except we had Jeongmin with us. It was more lively now that there were three people staying in the same roof. Jeongmin spoke most of the time about his childhood to me. It was pretty normal, but he still had whacky stories here and there.

  Afterwards, I say my goodbyes and head out the door. Today, I could walk to school because Unnie trusts me to look before I cross. Ah, she’s so worried about me.

  The moment I step out, I find Jongup stepping out of his house. I brighten at the sight. “Jongup!” I exclaim and wave my hands at him.

  His head perks up and turns to me. He smiles and bows. “Good morning, In Young.”

  Aish, he’s so formal! He’s older than me so there’s no need to be formal! “Yah! Moon Jongup, stop being so formal with me. I’m not that old! In fact, I’m younger than you by three years!”

  He laughs nervously and goes down his driveway. “It’s a habit.”

  I walk towards him and pat his head. He’s not as tall as Jonghyun but he was still taller than me. “Let’s walk together.” I start towards school with him trailing behind. I spin around. “Why are you behind me? Come here!” I take his arm and force him to walk beside me. This boy is so shy sometimes.

  He was blushing – I could tell – his eyes were glued to the ground as we walked towards school. There was complete utter silence as we neared. This boy really needs to talk more. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn’t. Aish! I don’t understand him!

  We enter school and find Da Ni and Ricky talking to each other by the lockers. I greet, “Good morning!”

  Da Ni and Ricky look up and at the same time, they say, “Good morning, In Young/Dongsaeng! Good morning, Jongup.”

  Jongup bows.

  Aish, this kid.

  They bow back awkwardly. I guess I’m not the only one who thinks Jongup shouldn’t bow to us. We’re now friends for Pete’s sakes!

  I roll my eyes and turn to my two best friends. “Is Jonghyun here yet?” I ask them with a hint of seriousness. I had to talk to him after what happened yesterday. I don’t know what his problem was. I at least changed the date! It’s not like I cancelled the whole thing!

  Ricky nods. “Yeah. He looked angry today. He even ignored us and walked right in the building!” He pouted.

  Da Ni pats his head. “I don’t know what’s wrong with him, but I do know you’re the only one that can talk to him.”

  “Okay. I’ll see you guys later then.” With those words, I head inside the building. I feel a presence following me, so I turn around, finding Jongup trailing behind. “What are you doing?” I ask him.

  He bites his bottom lip. “I want to come and I’m in the same class as Jonghyun,” Jongup replies nearly muttering.

  I stare at him for a moment before heading to Jonghyun’s room. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea bringing Jongup with me because he seems bitter towards him. But then, it might be a good thing, too since all three of us can work it out.

  Once at the door, I peer inside the classroom and find Jonghyun looking through his phone. He was smiling like an idiot as he kept flipping through whatever he was doing. As I see his smile, I couldn’t help but smile myself but I then realized why I came here. I step inside and stand next to him, feeling Jongup’s presence next to me.

  Jonghyun must have felt the same and looks up. For a moment there was a glint of happiness, but as he saw Jongup beside me, he frowns and scowls soon after. “What do you want?” He spats.

  I glare at him. This wasn’t the Jonghyun I know. What’s wrong with him? “What do you mean, what do I want? I don’t even understand why you’re so mad about me changing the date of our meeting!” I exclaim and place my hands on my hips.

  His gaze went to me and to Jongup. “I’m not asking you,” he says calmly, “I’m asking him.”

  Jongup’s eyes widen for a moment before softening. “I want to talk to you.”

  Jonghyun snorts.

  “Do you seriously don’t remember what happened two years ago?”

  “I told you I lost my memory because of an accident a few months ago. I don’t remember anything between us or what caused us to be in bad terms.” Jonghyun’s eyes drop as pain was clear on his face. I know he was trying hard to remember but nothing came into his mind.

  Jongup frowns. “I don’t know if I should tell you or not.”

  He glared. “I don’t care.”

  With those words, anger hit me. He doesn’t care?! What the hell is wrong with this boy? He needs to care because I can tell it’s hurting both of them! “Jonghyun!”

  “I don’t want to talk to either of you right now,” he muttered.

  “Why are you being so rude towards Jongup and me? What did we do to make you so frustrated?” I was nearly yelling, but I lower my voice with the next few words, “I’m not doing this on purpose, Jonghyun Oppa, but I just want to help Jongup because he’s new here. I promise to make it up.”

  He rolls his eyes. “He’s not new here and you don’t need to make up anything. We’re not meeting on Sunday or next week. Just leave me alone.”

  I felt a pang in my heart by those words. Tears were staring to brim my eyes. This was the first time Jonghyun had ever been mad at me like this. I bite my lip, holding back the tears and without a word, I left.

  As I pace my way to my classroom, I hear quick footsteps following me. Oh, now he wants to chase after me and say sorry! Well, it’s too late for that!

  I quicken my pace as I hear the footsteps coming closer. I could have broken to a run, but my wrist was snatched and pulled into a tight hug.

  The hug wasn’t familiar and I knew at that moment it wasn’t Jonghyun. I burry my head into his chest and cry my eyes out, staining his shirt. I let my arm wrap around his body and grip the back of his shirt tight. “I don’t understand,” I said into his shirt. “I don’t know why he’s acting like this! He has never been like this before. Jongup, what am I suppose to do?”

  Jongup doesn’t say anything and smoothes my hair.

  I continue to bawl into his chest until I realize I shouldn’t cry. I don’t want anybody to see me like this and ask so many questions. I certainly didn’t want Da Ni or Ricky to see for they will not leave me alone. Pulling away, I wipe my tears with my sleeve and find Jongup’s shirt wet from my tears. “I’m sorry.”

  He laughs nervously and looks down. “Ah… It’ll dry sometime…” His eyes gaze on mine. “Are you okay?”

  I nod and sniffle. Why wasn’t it Jonghyun who came after me? It’s not that Jongup is bad, but wouldn’t a boyfriend be the one to chase after their girl? “I’m going to talk to him after school,” I state. I have to clear things up. I don’t want him to be mad like this the whole week.

  Jongup stays silent for a moment. Then, “I feel like it’s my fault everything happened like this. You don’t have to do it this Saturday if you have other plans.”

  I shake my head. “I thought Jonghyun would understand…”

  “So let’s just do it next week.”

  “No. Like I said, I’ll talk to him.”

  He opens his mouth to say something, but I cut him off. “I can handle him.”

_______________________________________________________________________

  After school, I quickly leave my classroom and run to Jonghyun’s room. I find Jongup staring at Jonghyun with a worried expression. At lunch, I sat with Da Ni and Ricky while Jonghyun was sitting somewhere else. Jongup was trying to sit next to him but he gave him a glare. I could tell he was trying hard to talk to him, but Jonghyun wouldn’t listen.

  Jongup spots me, gives me a nod, and walks out of the classroom.

  I enter and stand beside Jonghyun as he was packing his stuff. He doesn’t have club activities today since they don’t meet on Wednesdays, so I can talk to him as long as I want. “Jonghyun Oppa,” I say.

  He looks up. “What is it, In Young?”

  “I don’t want you to be mad.”

  Jonghyun remains silent.

  “Jonghyun. Why are you so rude to Jongup?” I wanted to know the answer for it was bothering me. It just hurts to see him acting like this. I have never seen him like this before the accident, so what is going on?

  He shrugs. “I don’t know,” he mumbles. “I just don’t feel comfortable with him.”

  I bit my lip. How can he not feel comfortable with him? Jongup is one of the nicest guy I have ever met. How can someone not be comfortable? What is Jonghyun thinking right now?

  “I’m sorry for earlier.” Jonghyun apologizes. “I was just… Tired and jealous. You can go with him.” He purses his lips as his eyes drop to the floor. “You promise I’ll be your only Oppa, right?”

  I nod. “Of course.”

  He manages a weak smile and pulls me into a hug, burying his head onto my neck. “I hope you keep that promise,” he whispers before letting me go and peck me on the lips. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

  I nod and watch him go.

  When he left the classroom, I stay there for a moment, smiling like an idiot. I place a finger to my lips and smile. Ah, Jonghyun never fails to make me smile.