Jealousy

You're My Only Oppa

  It’s Monday and I’m already at school early in the morning. I’m sitting in my desk as I whistle to myself. I just don’t feel like hanging out with people at this moment. I want to be in solitary while I have the chance. Yesterday and this morning, Jeongmin and Unnie just wouldn’t stop bothering me, so I really need some time alone.

  I rest my head on the desk and close my eyes. I guess I’ll take a little nap while I can…

  “Dongsaeng!”

  Aish… Ricky.

  I raise my head with a gloomy look on my eyes.

  He stops where he is and scratches the back of his head. “Oh, sorry. Did I wake you up?”

  I sigh and sit up straight while looking at him straight in the eyes. “No, I’m fine. What do you want?” I yawn a bit and stretch while waiting for him to answer.

  “I was just wondering if you want to see a movie with me, Da Ni and Changjo this weekend. It’s going to be fun! Oh, I might even ask Jongup, but then it wouldn’t be a double date, so I’m thinking I’m not going to invite him, but I’ll see. I still have five days left anyways,” Ricky rambles.

  “Sure.” I really don’t feel like talking at this moment.

  He pauses. “Uh, well, I’ll see you later okay? I’m going to look for Da Ni. If she comes here, tell her I’ll be at my classroom, okay?”

  I nod.

  “Thanks! Ppyong!” With that, Ricky rushes out of the classroom.

  I once again lie my head on the desk. Peace and quiet…

  “Good morning, In Young!” I hear Da Ni greet.

  I raise my head once again with a groan, but smile. “Good morning Da Ni.”

  “How’ve you been?” She ask while coming up to me and putting her bag down. She sits on her desk next to me while staring intently at me.

  “I’m just tired.” Then something hit me. Oh, didn’t Ricky say he wanted to see her? “Oh, Ricky’s looking for you. He’s at his classroom and is waiting for you.”

  “Oh really? You don’t mind me going, do you?”

  I shake my head, “No. I’m okay with it. I mean, I would do the same if it’s Jonghyun who was looking for me.”

  She smiles and stands up. “Okay, I’ll see you later then. Watch my stuff, okay?” With those words, she, too, leaves the classroom.”

  Should I rest my head or not? I mean, lately people have been interrupting me when I want to sleep. Just as I was thinking of resting my head once again, I look to my side and see Jonghyun coming in. I smile, but as I notice his expression, I begin to frown. Why does he look so angry?

  “You were with Jongup yesterday and you didn’t tell me?” Jonghyun asked with irritation in his tone.

  Not this again. Why does he always get so jealous easily? “We did try to call you! Did you not see your missed calls?” I counter. I mean, he shouldn’t be mad because we tried to call him, but he was asleep.

  “I did, but why didn’t you call? Why did Jongup have to call? And plus that was in the morning. Why didn’t you ask me in the afternoon? I heard you were the only girl there. Why didn’t you invite me?”

  “Jonghyunm there’s no need to be so angry right now.” Aish, my head is starting to hurt…

  “There’s no need to be angry? I’m your boyfriend and you’re my girlfriend. Of course I’ll be angry! I mean, you could have at least called.”

  “Is this why you’re so angry about it? Is it just because I didn’t call you?” I stand up, trying to meet eye level with him. I was too short, but that didn’t mean I would back down. “I don’t need you to know where I go all the time! I need my freedom, you know?”

  “Well, you haven’t been hanging out with me ever since you met Jongup! So far you’ve been hanging out with him lately!”

  “Look who’s talking! You’re doing the same thing! Why can’t I hang out with my friends without you getting so jealous? I don’t need you to know everywhere I go! I don’t need to know ever move I make! I need my privacy.”

  “Well-”

  “Just stop Jonghyun! I’m tired! I just want to go to sleep right now. Leave me alone!”

  He glares at me, causing my heart to shatter. This was the first time I told him to leave me alone. This was the first time I actually yelled at him like this. I bit my tongue since I could take back those words, but I could stop them.

  “Fine,” he grumbles and storms away. “I’ll leave you alone then.” With that, he leaves.

  I fall into my chair and lay my head on the desk as tears flow out of my eyes. I begin to cry because I Jonghyun again, but this time because I was regretting what I said. He just got me so mad! I just wish he can lighten up a bit! Why does this new Jonghyun have to be easily moved by his emotions?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

  The whole day I didn’t speak to Jonghyun. I didn’t even want to look at him. During lunch, we ate at separate tables. I was eating with Da Ni and Ricky while Jonghyun was eating with Chunji and the rest of the gang.

  By the end of the day, Jonghyun ignores me as we leave the gates. I was hurt, but I had too much pride to forgive him. I end up walking with Jongup and as we were nearing our neighborhood, he asks, “What happened? When I entered the classroom this morning, Jonghyun had his head down and it was like that the whole day. The teachers kept scolding him, but he just wouldn’t listen. He even yelled at our math teacher and was sent to the office.”

  “We had a fight,” I tell him while kicking a pebble on the sidewalk. “We had a fight and I told him to leave me alone. He got mad and stopped talking to me.”

  There was a long silence. I was wondering if Jongup was even walking beside me, but when I look up, he was looking up at the sky, thinking. Suddenly, he smiles and runs ahead of me. He pauses and starts dancing. He was acting goofy.

  I smile, but it wasn’t long until I thought about Jonghyun. Didn’t I say I want Jonghyun to do that for me one day? It probably won’t happen since we got into the fight, but I can wait.  

  When Jongup realize his dancing wouldn’t make me happy, he comes back to my side and holds my hand. “Hang in there, In Young. Be strong.”

  I wanted to cry because of those words. Yes, I needed to be strong. I needed to be strong because after all I’ve been through, I can’t let Jonghyun go now. I can’t just leave him after all I’ve been through to get him. I really want the past Jonghyun back, but no one can control time.

  I force a smile and nod my head. “Okay.” I sniffle.

  He smiles that same idiot smile. He looks up at the sky again before running, dragging me with him. “AH! It’s getting late! Dinner is almost ready! AH!” He runs as fast as he could, taking me with him.

  I laugh inside. Ah, Jongup, why are you so strange?