Join the Club

You're My Only Oppa

  Jonghyun drops me off at my classroom and gives me a quick peck on the cheek. “I’ll see you during lunch, okay? I’ll be waiting for you by the door,” he says while smiling.

  I nod. I love seeing him waiting for me by the door; it makes me feel special. “Okay. I’ll see you later.” I turn on my heels and sit on my desk. I begin daydreaming about where I should bring Jonghyun this Saturday. I have been checking my diary, but I need to find time to go to those places. Some were outside of town and some were just a walk away. I’ll figure it out someday.

  “Good morning, In Young,” I hear Da Ni’s sweet voice echo in my brain.

  I perk up and grin. “Good morning, Da Ni! How are you and Ricky doing? Did you see him this morning?”

  She smiles and nods her head. “Yeah. He told me there’s a new student in school named Jongup. I heard he used to attend here three years ago and now he’s back.”

  “You got it right!” I begin thinking about what happened this morning. What was Jonghyun’s and Jongup’s relationship? Something must have happened to cause such a reaction. What’s worse is Jonghyun doesn’t remember it.

  “I also heard Jongup and Changjo had a relationship in the past.”

  I bit my lip. “Yeah, but he doesn’t remember what it is.”

  “I’m sure he’ll figure it out somehow like he did with you. There has to be something that will spark his memory.”

  I made a sly grin. “I already have an idea on how they’ll interact with each other.” I scratch my chin when I knew what to do. “I’m going to talk to him during lunch.”

_____

  The bell rings for lunch. I stand and stretch, watching Da Ni quickly leaving the classroom to meet with Ricky at his classroom. She always wants to surprise him by being there before he leaves.

  I go out the door and find Jonghyun leaning against the wall, arms crossed and whistling as if he has been there for a long time. I give him and hug and a quick peck. “Let’s go.” I take his arm and lead him to the cafeteria.

  As we were walking down the hallway, I was searching for Jongup. I wanted to talk to him and ask him to join the Hip-hop club. I’m sure he would enjoy it because it seems like he loves to dance. He’s really good at it, too.

  Jonghyun notices me. “What or who are you looking for?” He asks with worry in his tone.

  I pause and look at him. “I’m looking for Jongup.”

  He scowls. “Why?”

  “I want to ask him to join the same club you’re in. He’s really good! I saw him dancing yesterday and he’s just like you! He dances with so much passion! I can tell you two will be really great friends if you grow close to him.”

  Jonghyun bit his lip. “He’s in the same class as me, but I can’t help but feel bitter towards him. I don’t know why, but I feel like we didn’t get along in the past.”

  “That’s the past! Plus he looked sad when he said you didn’t remember him. I’m sure you two can make it up. I can tell he’s a great guy, so give him a chance.”

  He shrugs. “I guess since you’re the one requesting it.”

  I grin and jump up and down. “Yes! Thank you, Jonghyun!”

  “Oppa!”

  I stick my tongue out and mutter, “Jonghyun Oppa.”

  “That’s better.”

  We continue walking to the cafeteria.

  I immediately spot Jongup sitting at a table with other people around him but the seats next to him were empty spaces. He was eating silently to himself, chewing slowly as his eyes scan the place. He looked lonely, but when he spots me he smiles and waves.

  I return the wave and tug onto Jonghyun. “There he is!” I squeal. I hope they’ll be best friends!

  Jonghyun glimpses at Jongup, but the moment their eyes met, Jongup’s gaze drop as sadness was evident on his face. He pokes his food a couple of times before looking back up. He manages a weak smile and waves.

  Jonghyun does the same but it was awkward.

  I wonder what happened to them in the past. Ah, here comes my curiosity! This same exact thing happen with me and Chunji, but too bad he didn’t end up with the girl he wanted. I hope he’s doing fine about it.

  “Let’s get our food and sit with him.” I instruct Jonghyun and head to the lunch line.

  After we got our lunch, I spot Da Ni and Ricky calling us over. I use hand signals, pointing to Jongup and telling them I will sit with him. Being as smart as they are – or more like Da Ni being smart – she understood what I was telling them. As for Ricky, Da Ni had to explain for him to know what was going on. I shake my head. And Ricky is older than her. People would think he’s smarter and more mature, but it’s actually the complete opposite.

  I sit next to Jongup as Jonghyun trails behind. He sits next to me and peers to the side, looking at Jongup.

  Noticing Jonghyun’s and my presence, Jongup grins innocently, showing his teeth. “Hi, In Young. Hi Jonghyun…” His voice trails as he says Jonghyun’s name. It seems like I’m not the only one who calls him Jonghyun.

  “I go by Changjo now.” He simply states and takes a bite off his food.

  Jongup tilts his head as he had a look of confusion. “Even you go by something different? Wow! A lot has changed since I’ve been gone. So you like being called Changjo, but why does In Young call you Jonghyun?”

  Jonghyun pauses from eating, his hand hovering over his plate as he had food in his chopsticks. I know he doesn’t like explaining those things to anyone so I answer for him, “I like calling him Jonghyun. It sounds better to me.”

  Jongup turns to me. “I agree! I like calling him Jonghyun, too!”

  “Really?” Yay! There’s somebody else who agrees to me. I lift a hand, receiving a high five. I giggle and turn to Jonghyun. “Now you have two people calling you Jonghyun.” I hold out two fingers.

  He nods slowly. “Yeah, you’re right.”

  I pinch his cheeks which were no longer as chubby as before. He certainly is maturing quickly. I turn to Jongup and find he also has mature features. Ah, boys are aging so quickly! But at least I can see they’re getting hotter each day! Aigoo… I’m getting more erted now…

  My head swishes towards Jongup, causing him to jump. My eyes were wide as a huge grin forms on my lips. “Hey, do you think you want to join the Hip-hop club? Jonghyun’s in it, too.”

  His eyes shift towards Jonghyun for a second before turning to me. He flushes red as his shoulder raise. He taps his forefingers together and mutters, “I would like to, but do you think it’s too late?”

  I wasn’t sure, so I turn to Jonghyun.

  He shakes his head. “It’s never too late to join the group. We’re just learning the basics, but I heard you’re good at dancing.”

  His eyes brighten for a moment before turning sad again. Jongup mutters something I couldn’t hear and looks up. “I’d like to join then. Are you guys meeting after school today?”

  Jonghyun nods. “Yeah and if you want, after school, I can lead you to the dance room.”

  “That’s fine.”

  I smile as I see them interacting with each other, but I also noticed they weren’t too comfortable with each other. Sure they’re talking like normal students, but there was something off. It felt as if Jongup was guilty for something while Jonghyun just wasn’t comfortable with the situation. I shake it off. There’s nothing to worry about right now. They’ll get along little by little. I’m sure they’ll be comfortable with each other soon.