His Good Luck

Another Full House Story [INDEFINITE HIATUS]

"Hyung, you're finally here!" Dong Woon excitedly exclaimed as he came up to Jun Hyung who had entered the private game room that belonged to him. It had a pool table, foosball, big screen TV with various gaming consoles, a bar, and snack area. The game room was a gift from Jun Hyung's mother given to him when he was in high school, although it didn't have a bar at the time. That was added later. The game room became a hangout for him and his friends since it was located in the city, separate from his house.

Jun Hyung ignored Dong Woon's greeting and sat down at the table where Doo Joon was sitting and reading. Yo Seob and Hyun Seung were playing pool while Gi Kwang had been playing a video game with Dong Woon on the big screen TV.

Doo Joon immediately started pressing him with questions. "What happened with your dad? Did you make it back in time? You haven't been answering your phone since you left the bar a couple nights ago." He noticed Jun Hyung's emotionless expression as he stared out at the space in front of him.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Dong Woon asked him with a worried expression.

"Yeah, where have you been all this time?" Hyun Seung asked.

Jun Hyung closed his eyes and leaned his head back on his seat. "I got into an accident," he answered.

"WHAT?!" all his friends yelled.

Yo Seob ran over to him. "Where? Do you guys see any scars, cuts, or bruises anywhere? Check that he has all his limbs!" he said as he lifted Jun Hyung's arm and examined him. "Your hand!" Yo Seob gasped as he saw Jun Hyung's bandaged hand. It wasn't from the accident, but from him hitting the bathroom wall. However, Yo Seob didn't know that and started fretting over the wound. Jun Hyung yanked his arm back from Yo Seob and glared at him.

"That's not the problem right now. Because of that accident, my dad gave me an ultimatum," he said as he massaged his temples.

"Ultimatum?" Gi Kwang asked with a blank expression.

"I have to...get married and start working for him," he said behind his hand-covered face.

His friends stared at him for a few seconds before breaking out in laughter.

"Hahaha! You? Get married?" Yo Seob said as he held his stomach and doubled over in laughter.

"And going to work?" Hyun Seung mused.

"Yah! Yah! Yah!" Jun Hyung angrily yelled at them. "This isn't something to be laughing over!"

"So what happens if you don't do it?" Doo Joon asked as the boys finally calmed down.

Jun Hyung looked down at the table in front of him. "I get disowned," he answered quietly.

His friends looked at him, wide-eyed.

"R-really, Hyung?" Dong Woon stuttered. "Your dad would really disown you?" he finished with a whisper.

"Isn't that too much for a parent to say?" Hyun Seung said.

"They weren't just words. He was being serious," Jun Hyung said with a solemn expression.

The boys all looked at him with a worried and sympathetic expression. Even though he rarely talked about it, they knew about Jun Hyung's family problems. How his father only cared for the image of the company and how his brother barely gave him the time of day.

"So, what are you going to do then?" Gi Kwang quietly asked him.

"What do you mean what is he going to do? He's going to have to follow along with his dad's wishes," Hyun Seung answered in a slightly annoyed tone at Gi Kwang's obvious question.

"But marriage?" Yo Seob said. "I mean you haven't been with one girl for more than a few weeks since Hee-" His words were cut off by Doo Joon's hand covering his mouth.

"You really have no tact you know that?" Doo Joon hissed at him before removing his hand.

Jun Hyung was in deep thought as he stared with a serious expression. As much as he hated losing his freedom, the thought of being disowned was even more unbearable, and the fact that his own father would ever use that against him felt like a knife to the heart.

"But Hyung, how did you get into an accident in the first place?" Dong Woon quietly asked him.

Jun Hyung sighed before finally speaking, "I sped through a red light...and hit a cab."

"How bad was the damage?" Gi Kwang asked wide-eyed.

"I don't know how bad the other side got hurt, but no one died. I braked fast enough to prevent too much damage," he answered.

"You were drinking just before then. They didn't give you a DUI did they?" Hyun Seung asked.

"No, I just missed the limit with 0.049%. My dad would have had my head if it was a DUI."

"Hey, now that I think about it, there's a reason you didn't get a DUI," Yo Seob pointed out.

"Reason? What reason?" Gi Kwang asked.

"That night, the girl that rejected you, she threw your drink at you. If you had drank it, who knows? You probably would have passed the limit." he answered.

Jun Hyung glared at Yo Seob. "Are you kidding me right now? Why are you bringing up that again?" he asked, raising his voice in anger.

"I agree with Yo Seob Hyung," Dong Woon chimed in. " I really think that in a way, she was good luck for you. I mean, you might not have been sober enough to even brake in time if you ended up drinking that last shot. The damage could have been much worse."

"If we think like that, then it's a good thing she rejected you, Jun Hyung," Gi Kwang added.

"Aish!" Jun Hyung yelled in anger. He quickly stood up and kicked his chair back.

"Where are you going?" Hyun Seung asked him.

"I have to get back home before I get into any more trouble than I'm already in," he answered as he started to leave.

"I'm worried about Hyung," Dong Woon said with a sad expression after Jun Hyung left.

"We all are," Doo Joon answered with a worried look.


"Jun Hyung-ah, I'm glad you're home," his mom greeted him as he entered the house.

As Jun Hyung passed the living room, he noticed his father sitting on the couch, reading a newspaper.

"Good evening, father," Jun Hyung greeted with a bow.

Mr. Yong glanced up from his newspaper for a few seconds and then returned to reading. Jun Hyung sighed and turned to leave.

"For the next few months," his father spoke with his eyes still on his newspaper. Jun Hyung turned around to face him. "lie low. Reporters will be following your every move so don't go out too much and be back home by 10 at the latest."

"10?" Jun Hyun started to complain. He hadn't had a curfew since high school and even then it wasn't that early.

Mr. Yong ignored Jun Hyung's complaint and continued. "You'll start working for me in a month. You have until then to get married." Jun Hyung stared at the ground in dejection as his father talked. "Your mother will set up dates for you with prospective wives so make sure you attend them."

"Yes sir," Jun Hyung quietly responded after a long pause.

"If you understand, then you can go," Mr. Yong said as he continued to read his paper.

"Yes, sir. Goodnight, father," Jun Hyung replied with a bow before turning on his heel and leaving. He was about to go upstairs when he was stopped by his mother.

"Jun Hyung-ah," she softly called to him.

"Yeah mom?" he answered, turning around to face her.

"I set up a blind date for you tomorrow at noon at the M Hotel Café with one of my friends' daughters. She's a very well-mannered, intelligent, and filial girl. I think you'll like her."

"Okay, mom," he answered with a small smile. "I'm tired so I'm going to sleep now," he said before turning to go up the stairs.

"Jun Hyung-ah," his mother called again.

Jun Hyung turned around again to face her with a dismal expression. She walked over to him and put a hand on his cheek. "Even though your father is tough on you, he really does love you. He only wants the best for you."

Jun Hyung stared at his mother's gentle and caring face. He had a hard time believing her words, but still gave her a faint smile before turning around again to leave.

His mother sighed sadly as she watched her son's retreating back.

Jun Hyung entered his room and sat down on the side of his bed. He pulled out the drawer of his nightstand and took out a small jewelry box. Lifting the lid up, he stared at the silver diamond ring inside.

"Marriage? I've only ever thought about it with one person. I really thought she was the one. The one to love me and bring me a happy family, but I guess I was wrong." Jun Hyung sighed and put the ring back in the drawer. He lay on his bed, his hands behind his head.

I can't go through with this marriage. I don't want to tie myself down to another gold-digging woman who just wants to marry me for my name and wealth. I'm not going to end up like Hyung and his wife: a distant and loveless marriage.

He turned to his side and stared at the picture of him and his brother when they were little kids, the last time that Jun Hyung remembered his brother ever paying attention to him like an older brother should.

But I don't want to lose what I have now either. Even though things aren't the way they used to be,, I don't want to be disowned by my family...I guess I'm just destined to live an empty life.


Author's Note

Sorry I took so long for this update. I don't have as much time anymore and my focus is on my other story since I started that one first. Anyways, I know that this is a depressing chapter, but hopefully the next chapter (whenever I get around to it) will be a little more livelier with Jae Kyung and her family.

8/22/12 1:09 AM00