The Song Family Part 1

Another Full House Story [INDEFINITE HIATUS]

It was quiet as Jae Kyung stepped into her house. Too quiet. She glanced around and strained her ears for any signs of her family.

"Are you sure they're home?" Jun Hyung asked from behind, looking around at the homey foyer that was painted a warm yellow color with pictures of what he assumed to be the Song family decorating the walls.

Jae Kyung didn't answer his question, but instead walked further into her house. She stopped as soon as she heard voices drifting from the family room. "Oh, they're here," she whispered. "They're all here." She turned around to face Jun Hyung. "This time the roles are reversed. Let me do all the talking," she ordered, pointing to herself. "I've lived with these people my whole life. I know how to deal with them best."

Jun Hyung stared at her with a slightly baffled expression. How bad could they really be? But before Jun Hyung could say anything, Jae Kyung turned around again and after taking a deep breath, finally made herself visible to her family.

The Song family and the in-laws were all present in the family living room, some sitting on the couches, some on the armrests of the couches, and some standing nearby. They all looked at Jae Kyung as soon as she appeared at the entrance of the room.

"H-hi," she greeted with a nervous smile.

Jun Hyung also came into view next to her and he was slightly taken aback by the number of people that occupied the room. They all stared at him, giving Jun Hyung an uneasy feeling at their judgmental eyes.

"So it's true," Hyo Joo was the first to speak, slightly agape at seeing the same man from the tabloids who had proposed to Jae Kyung, standing in front of her.

"Everyone, this is Yong Jun Hyung…Oppa," she introduced him, slightly cringing at having called him "Oppa".

"Noona, is it true?" Soo Han asked, running over to Jae Kyung's side and taking hold of her hand. "You're going to marry this Ahjussi?" He looked up at Jun Hyung to see him intimidating glaring back, offended at being called "Ahjussi". Soo Han quickly hid behind Jae Kyung.

"Uh…yeah," Jae Kyung answered him, not very confidently.

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!" Mrs. Song sternly disagreed.

This time Jae Kyung hid behind Jun Hyung, who looked at Mrs. Song with a startled expression, her raised voice taking him by surprise.

"B-but Mom," Jae Kyung whined, peeking out from behind Jun Hyung.

"How dare you pull a stunt like this?" Mrs. Song angrily questioned her.

"Yeobo, maybe we should let her explain first," Mr. Song finally interjected, trying to calm his wife down. "And you're also being rude to our guest here." He turned to look at Jun Hyung with a soft but friendly smile.

Mrs. Song's lips were in a tight line of disapproval. She inhaled through her nose, trying to listen to her husband's words and calm down before looking at Jun Hyung with a hard, unyielding stare.

"Yong Jun Hyung," she called him.

Jun Hyung didn't show it, but he was slightly intimidated by Jae Kyung's mother. "Yes, Eomeonim," he responded without any hesitation.

All eyes turned to Mrs. Song to see how she would respond to Jun Hyung's boldness in addressing her.

Mrs. Song stared back at him without any change in her expression. She was slightly impressed by his indirect challenge to her. It was a display of a strong and determined character.

"Please, why don't you sit down," she suggested with a small smile while motioning to the empty space on the couch in front of her: the interrogation seat as onlookers would probably see it. Jun Hyung walked forward and bowed before sitting down. "Jae Kyung?" Mrs. Song suddenly called to her daughter, her eyes remaining on Jun Hyung the whole time.

"Y-yes?" Jae Kyung answered, her high voice betraying her fear.

"Why don't you join him?" Mrs. Song suggested in a flat tone that sounded more like an order. Jae Kyung gulped and slowly walked towards the couch, feeling like a suspect walking to the question stand. She took the seat next to Jun Hyung. "So, why don't we start from the beginning? How long have you two known each other?" Mrs. Song questioned.

Jae Kyung and Jun Hyung looked at each other before Jae Kyung turned back to hesitantly answer. "Two weeks." Around the room, Jae Kyung's family let out small gasps and gave each other surprised glances.

"Two weeks?!" Mrs. Song questioned incredulously. "You mean to tell me, that in half a month's time frame, you've gone from being complete strangers…to engaged?! And not only that, you've kept it all a secret?!"

Jae Kyung flinched under her mother's shouting, her eyebrows knit together in guilt while she looked at the ground. "Y-yes," she quietly replied.

"Aigoo, Aigoo, Aigoo!" Mrs. Song cried in exasperation, holding onto the back of her neck.

"Yeobo!" Mr. Song cried.

"Mom!" the Song siblings called.

"Eomeonim!" the in-laws shouted.

Everyone quickly gathered around Mrs. Song in worry, but she quickly waved them away as she closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. "And let me guess, you two think you're in love," she sarcastically said.

"We don't think that. We know." Jun Hyung adamantly answered, surprising everyone, including Jae Kyung.

Seung Hun, being the most protective out of Jae Kyung's siblings, spoke up in defense. "You know, I've done my research on you. You don't exactly have a clean record for us to believe that." He pulled out some papers from a large envelope in his hand and lay them on the coffee table in front of Jun Hyung. They were news articles from his previous scandals with women, along with articles of his recent car accident that made note of how Jun Hyung had alcohol in his system and was last seen coming from a bar.

Jae Kyung's eyes widened at the numerous articles and what's more, the numerous women. She knew Jun Hyung must have had past relationships before, but she never would have guessed that there was this many. What's more, they had all been publicized.

Jun Hyung quickly glanced at the articles on the table and looked up at Seung Hun, unfazed as he gave a small smile. "I admit my past behavior would lead you to question the integrity of my words, but I assure you that in my present, and in my future, I only see Jae Kyung."

Jae Kyung's jaw dropped slightly at his proclamation. If she didn't already know this was an act, she might have actually believed him. And looking around at her family, it looked like they were slightly impressed as well.

However Mrs. Song remained firmly set in her opposition. "And what exactly is it that you see in my daughter that leads you to believe this?"

"Mom-" Jae Kyung began to say before she was cut off.

"I'm not asking you, Song Jae Kyung," Mrs. Song harshly said to her, effectively shutting Jae Kyung up as she gulped in fear. Jae Kyung looked over at Jun Hyung, hoping and praying that he would be able to answer her mother appropriately.

Jun Hyung also looked at her, a determined expression on his face as he answered Mrs. Song's question. "It's true, I've taken my lifestyle for granted, wasting my parents' money without a care and treating girls as if they were expendable. I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought of Jae Kyung like any other woman I've been with when I first met her," he said, recalling the reason for his initial meeting with Jae Kyung at the bar (a bet). "But she was quick to prove that she was anything but like all the other girls."

Jun Hyung turned to look at Jae Kyung and took hold of her hand in his. Jae Kyung could feel her heart racing at the gesture and in anticipation of his words. "She's childish, loud, temperamental…" Jae Kyung's eyes that were full of expectation quickly narrowed in displeasure while Joong Gi snickered in the background. He always seemed to find delight in his younger sister's misfortune.

"And surprisingly, I found it all refreshing." At his unexpected twist of words, Jae Kyung's scowl disappeared and she blinked in surprise. "Maybe because as I got to know her better, I realized that Jae Kyung was actually an innocent and sincere person, someone who remembered her manners even when the other party didn't treat her the same, someone who didn't see me as simply a rich man with status…" Jun Hyung's voice slowly drifted off as his usual stoic expression faltered and his eyes that had been on Jae Kyung stared off into space, showed a hint of pain. "Someone I could see myself building a family with…" he continued, his voice almost a whisper.

Realizing that this was the wrong place and time to let his thoughts revisit painful memories, he softly cleared his throat and looked back at Jae Kyung. "Song Jae Kyung is exactly the kind of person I want to spend the rest of my life with."

The Song family was left astonished at his words. Even Jae Kyung who knew it was all an act stared slack jawed at his speech.

Of course Mrs. Song still wasn't fully convinced. "Even if you two are in as much love as you say, why the sudden engagement? I don't see any reason why you two can't wait another year, or even a few months, before considering marriage."

Jun Hyung turned his attention back to Mrs. Song. "I don't see any reason to put it off. I've always lived thinking you should seize the day and put no trust in tomorrow."

"A quote by Horace?" Mr. Song questioned, pleasantly surprised.

"Yes, Abeonim," Jun Hyung answered with a smile.

"Yeobo, I think we should accept their marriage," Mr. Song quietly urged his wife. "They seem to genuinely love each other."

Mrs. Song still wasn't won over. She crossed her arms and frowned at the two. "We'll discuss it," she simply said before standing up. "We'll talk it over in the dining room."

Jae Kyung also stood up to follow after her mother, but was quickly stopped. "You don't get to come," Mrs. Song sternly ordered her.

"But why? This is my life we're talking about," she whined.

"Because apparently you didn't think to include the rest of us in your so called life when you were having your whole affair!" Mrs. Song reprimanded, making Jae Kyung cower in guilt and fear.

Mrs. Song continued on her way, the rest of the family leaving one by one and giving Jae Kyung and Jun Hyung wary glances as they left. Even Soo Han followed after his mother, Tae Hee, towards the dining room. The last to follow was Seung Hun, but before he could leave, Jae Kyung grabbed hold of his arm.

"Oppa, you're on my side, right?" she asked him, sticking out her bottom lip in a pout.

Seung Hun stared at her with a hard expression. "You know, I'm hurt," he responded. "You didn't even tell me about all of this. You never keep secrets from me."

"Oppa, I'm sorry," she said apologetically. "But you have to convince Mom on this. I really lo…" Jae Kyung's voice caught at the back of . "I really love him," she managed to say with some difficulty.

Seung Hun remained unfazed by her plea and after freeing his arm from Jae Kyung's grip, he continued walking out.

"Oppa!" Jae Kyung called to his retreating back. Seung Hun turned around and was met with Jae Kyung's famous puppy dog eyes.

"Don't fall for it," he whispered to himself. Typically, Jae Kyung would pull out her puppy dog eyes whenever she wanted something from her oldest brother. He was the only one she ever used it on, mostly because he was the only one foolish enough to fall for it. But this wasn't $20 or a new gadget or any other typical thing she was asking for. This was something regarding her future. And Seung Hun had some reservations about Jun Hyung; it was hard to place, but he felt there was something off about their whole relationship.

Jae Kyung knew her usual antics weren't working. She would have to amp up the cuteness, something she hated doing, but what choice did she have? She brought up her fists to her cheeks and pouted. "Buing, Buing?"

Seung Hun mentally face-palmed himself. He closed his eyes, regretting that he had ever turned around when she called him in the first place. With a sigh, he reopened his eyes and looked at Jae Kyung. "You know, Soo Han is starting to pick up on your tricks, too. He's almost as good as you," he said with a small smile.

Jae Kyung returned a big grin, knowing she had won him over. Seung Hun finally left to join the rest of the family in the dining room.

With only Jun Hyung left in the living room, Jae Kyung turned to see him giving her a strange look. He had silently been watching the whole exchange between the two siblings, and found it odd and unfamiliar. He couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealousy. It was a big contrast from the interactions between his own brother and himself.

"What?" Jae Kyung asked obliviously.

Jun Hyung shook his head at her. "I'm not going to say anything." Jae Kyung scowled at his tone: it sounded condescending.

He stood up from his seat and started walking around the family room. The walls were decorated with framed pictures of the family. His eyes landed on a familiar looking baby that was being held in the arms of a younger looking Mrs. Song, who stood at the doorway of the house in what looked like a commemoration of the child's first day at home.

"I see you were as ugly back then as you are now," he remarked.

"Yah!" Jae Kyung shouted. Jun Hyung smirked in amusement at how easily she was irked. Jae Kyung cleared and tried to regain composure so that she could ask him the question that had been bothering her since his speech. "What you said earlier…about me…" she slowly began.

"Was all a lie," Jun Hyung nonchalantly answered before she could finish, continuing to examine the family pictures on the wall. "All part of the act to get your parents to agree to the marriage. You didn't think I really meant it, did you?"

Jae Kyung scowled at his lackluster attitude. "Of course not," she muttered under her breath. "Someone like you has probably said those words to a dozen other women."

Jun Hyung's face became rigid at her mumbles that he clearly heard. "Someone like me?" he questioned darkly.

"Yeah," Jae Kyung answered, crossing her arms as she looked at him with a look of contempt. "A player."

Jun Hyung quickly turned and looked at her with the same empty eyes and intense gaze he had at the mall earlier that day when she called him "spoiled". "Let's get one thing straight: don't act like you know me," he said in a low voice.

Jae Kyung gulped and slightly stepped backwards at his frightening aura. It seemed that whenever she made a comment about his character, Jun Hyung became very defensive and his usual stoic expression changed to a cold, unmerciful one.

The tension in the air was interrupted by a familiar child's voice. "Noona!" Soo Han called to Jae Kyung as he entered the living room.

Jae Kyung quickly turned to look at Soo Han, glad for his disruption from the uncomfortable staring contest she was having with Jun Hyung. "Oh, Soo Han. What are you doing here?"

"Daddy [Seung Hun] told me to leave while they talk about grown-up things," he answered with a pout, running over to Jae Kyung and standing close behind her as he eyed Jun Hyung with big curious eyes. Jun Hyung returned his stare with an indifferent one, making Soo Han duck behind Jae Kung in fear.

"Come on, Soo Han," Jae Kyung said, grabbing his hand and pulling him to sit on her lap as she sat down on the couch. "So tell me, did you overhear anything the grown-ups were saying?" she hopefully questioned.

Soo Han shook his head. "No, they kicked me out before I could hear anything." He looked over at Jun Hyung before leaning in to whisper in Jae Kyung's ear. "Noona, do you really love that Ahjussi?" he asked.

Jae Kyung slightly tensed at his innocent question. "O-of course," she stuttered. She forced a smile as she asked, "Why else would I want to marry him?"

Soo Han tilted his head and looked at her as if he was assessing the truth of her words. Jae Kyung gulped under his gaze.

This kid. He's only 6 years old yet he's making me nervous when I lie to him.

After what seemed like an eternity Soo Han's lips curved into a smile and he turned to Jun Hyung. "Ahjussi, if Noona likes you, then you must be a good person. Please take care of me in the future," he said with a small bow of his head.

Jun Hyung blinked at Soo Han, baffled by his unusually good manners. Suddenly, Jae Kyung's own politeness made sense to him. This family seemed to place high value on manners.

"Aigoo, such a cute kid," Jae Kyung cooed at him, pinching his cheeks and making him giggle in delight.

Jun Hyung slightly smiled at the sight. Lucky kid to have such a loving family. "You know kid," he said, walking over to sit next to Jae Kyung on the couch, "you can call me Hyung," he offered.

"Hyung?" Soo Han repeated before his eyes crinkled in delight and he smiled. "Hyung," he said again.

Jun Hyung smiled and ruffled Soo Han's hair, surprising Jae Kyung at the gesture. This was the first time she had seen him genuinely smile, without any hint of reservation or hidden emotions. He had an innocent, boyish charm about him when he let his guard fall. It was too bad that his usual demeanor was cold and sarcastic.


Author's Note

The Song family portion was turning out to be a lot longer than I thought (maybe I'm dragging it out too much), so I decided to split it into two. Here's the first part that's done and the second part I am currently working on.

10/18/12 1:15 AM00