Backfire

Another Full House Story [INDEFINITE HIATUS]

RECAP: Jun Hyung and Jae Kyung are spending the weekend at her parents' house for the annual Song Family Reunion. After spending the night sleeping in the same bed in Jae Kyung's room, the two wake up on Saturday morning in the awkward position of Jae Kyung in Jun Hyung's arms.


"YOU!" Jae Kyung screamed. Jun Hyung immediately released her and tried to move away, falling of the bed in the process and landing painfully on his back. He sat up and rubbed his aching head. Jae Kyung quickly sat up and grabbed the nearest pillow before she started beating him with it. "You said you wouldn't touch me! Even in your sleep! You piece of scum! I knew I shouldn't have trusted you!"

Jun Hyung tried to defend himself with his arms. "It wasn't my fault!" he tried to protest. "You were the one kicking and punching me in your sleep!"

"So that gives you license to touch me?!" Jae Kyung couldn't be reasoned with as she continued to hit him on the top of his head with her pillow.

Jun Hyung wasn't having anymore of it as he managed to stand up and grab hold of her arms. "Stop!" he shouted, shaking her hold of the pillow in her hands so it dropped to the floor in between their feet.

Hearing Jae Kyung's scream from the first floor, Seung Hun quickly ran up the stairs and flung open her bedroom door to find Jun Hyung holding onto Jae Kyung's wrists as they glared at each other. "What happened?" he asked while trying to comprehend the scene in front of him.

Neither answered him as they continued to glower at each other. Jun Hyung finally let go of Jae Kyung's wrists and with a forced smile he turned to Seung Hun. "It was nothing. Jae Kyung thought she saw a spider on me and was just trying to kill it." He shot a glance at her. "But she overreacted and got a bit carried away."

Jae Kyung rubbed her wrists that Jun Hyung had put a death grip on and returned his side glance. "Well it was a pretty big spider, so I don't think I was overreacting," she replied through gritted teeth.

Seung Hun raised a brow at the tense atmosphere between the two. "Okay...well, you two should get ready and come down. Everyone's here now and they really want to meet Jun Hyung since most of them couldn't attend the wedding."

Seung Hun left the two with a confused look on his face. Jae Kyung wasn't scared of spiders. She hadn't been since she was a kid when Joong Gi would continuously try to scare her with them to the point that she got used to spiders and could even pick them up with her bare hands. Something was really off about their relationship, but he had no idea what.

Once the two got ready, Jun Hyung and Jae Kyung headed downstairs where the chatter from the guests could be heard from the top of the stairs. All eyes turned to them once they were in view, and in a flash, they were surrounded by a large group of middle-aged women, all relatives of Jae Kyung.

"He's so handsome!" a chubby woman cooed as she pinched Jun Hyung's cheek. Jun Hyung winced in pain and his hand immediately went to rub the now red cheek.

Jae Kyung snickered to herself in amusement. Aunt Kim Geum Ja was a very touchy-feely person and for as long as she could remember, Jae Kyung and her siblings would try to avoid her at all cost whenever she visited to escape her deathly pinch. But while she was enjoying Jun Hyung's pain, Aunt Geum Ja's pinchers started attacking Jae Kyung.

"And Jae Kyung, you've grown even more beautiful since I last saw you. It must be because you're married now," Aunt Geum Ja complimented while pinching both of Jae Kyung's cheeks.

Jae Kyung grimaced at the numbing feeling in her face after Aunt Geum Ja released her. But before she could alleviate her red cheeks, she and Jun Hyung were bombarded by more affectionate hugging and hair tousling from the rest of the females that surrounded the newlyweds.

"Omo, he's got a tattoo," another woman, Aunt Song Bo Hee, noted, as her judgmental eyes landed on the black ink on Jun Hyung's forearm. "Jae Kyung, you married someone with a tattoo?" Her tone was reprimanding as she sternly stared at her niece.

"He has another one!" Aunt Geum Ja exclaimed. Her wandering hands pulled down the collar of Jun Hyung's shirt to reveal his second tattoo near his collarbone. Jun Hyung's discomfort at being so exposed was obvious from the startled expression on his face and while Jae Kyung would have watched him struggle in enjoyment, she was left busy racking her brain for a reasonable explanation for the ever fastidious Aunt Bo Hee.

"Okay, okay, how about we let the two get some breakfast," Mr. Song interjected, trying to break apart the group surrounding Jae Kyung and Jun Hyung. The two gave him a grateful look before escaping from the clutches of Jae Kyung's aunts.

Aunt Bo Hee, Mr. Song's older sister, stared at their retreating backs with crossed arms and narrowed eyes. "Nam Kil," she called to her younger brother. "Did you know Jun Hyung has tattoos? Are you sure he's appropriate for Jae Kyung?"

Mr. Song had a nervous smile. "You know how kids are these days. The way they dress, the way they speak, everything is different from when we were their age. I know Jun Hyung is a good boy, so don't worry," he tried to assure his older sister.

She scoffed at his defense of the careless younger generation. Song Bo Hee believed it was because Mr. Song was too soft that Jae Kyung had turned out the way she did, the only one not as successful as her older siblings.

Mr. Song sighed, knowing that his sister probably did not like Jun Hyung. In fact, he had a feeling that his wife wouldn't be pleased when she found out about his tattoos either, but he had gotten a glance at what they said and he softly smiled to himself. Born again, still your son. Just as he thought, Jun Hyung really was a filial, family man.

Finally joining the rest of the family in the back yard, Jun Hyung was overwhelmed by all the enormity of the Song family. There were children running around the large yard, adults scattered around in small groups happily conversing with each other, and even a few dogs lay on the grass, tied to trees as they basked in the sun.

"They're all your family?" Jun Hyung asked incredulously.

Jae Kyung heaved a tired sigh. "Yeah."

"Noona! Hyung!" Soo Han's familiar voice called. He ran over to Jae Kyung and Jun Hyung, followed closely by some of the other children he had been playing with.

Jae Kyung bent down and picked him up in her arms. "Aigoo, our Soo Han looks so happy. Are you that excited about this reunion?"

Soo Han grinned and nodded his head. "Did you sleep well Noona?" he asked with a giggle. Jae Kyung's smile slowly disappeared. Soo Han leaned in to whisper into her ear. "Is that how you and Hyung always sleep?" Jae Kyung's eyes widened and she stared at him with agape. Had he witnessed them sleeping like that? Did that mean everyone else had seen that embarrassing sight?

"Oppa!" "Hyung!" the other children exclaimed, tugging on Jun Hyung's pants to get his attention. Jun Hyung kneeled down to their level. "Are you Jae Kyung Noona's new husband?" one boy asked him.

"Uh yeah, I am," he answered with a forced smile.

The boy turned to a girl with pig tails next to him. "I guess even the 'black sheep' can get married," he snickered in her ear. His words didn't go unheard by Jae Kyung.

She put Soo Han down and placed her hands on her hips. "Yah! Kim Young Min! Who do you think you're calling a 'black sheep'?!"

Young Min started running away with a laugh, enticing a chase from Jae Kyung. He looked back and tauntingly wiggled his fingers on his head like they were moose antlers while sticking his tongue out. "You Noona!" he replied before he continued running away. Jae Kyung screamed in frustration and picked up her speed.

"Run, Young Min! Run!" Joong Gi hollered as he witnessed the sight, rooting for the child who seemed to have a shared enjoyment in harassing Jae Kyung. In fact, their relatives had coined Young Min as "Mini Joong Gi" because of the young child's uncanny likeness to him.

The adults shook their heads as they watched the grown 21-year old chase the 10-year old around the yard. If they hadn't seen Jun Hyung in person, they would never have believed Jae Kyung was actually a married woman now.

While Jae Kyung continued to mingle with, or rather act like, the younger children, the other relatives introduced themselves to Jun Hyung. They were all welcoming and inviting and Jun Hyung felt an oddly warm sensation engulf him in their presence as each tried to explain how they were related to Jae Kyung before proceeding to tell funny stories about previous reunions.

The commotion eventually calmed down and it was time for the traditional kickball game the family partook in every year at the reunion. It was times like these that the Song family's large backyard was beneficial for such a game. While the younger family members stood in the center trying to decide on teams, the more elderly sat from a distance, eating, chatting, and enjoying their kids play. Among those watching, Ji Hyo, who was in her third trimester of pregnancy, had to sit out for the first time ever. Being known as the 'Ace' when it came to any sporting games, she pouted slightly as she watched, instead of played, from a distance. She at least had the company of Tae Hee, who felt sympathetic towards Ji Hyo since her husband, Soo Young, had to leave when he was paged for the hospital.

By volunteer (and a little whining), Jae Kyung and Joong Gi were made team captains, and after the toss of a coin, Joong Gi was given first pick of team members. "Of course I choose my hot and y wife," he said with a smirk towards Hyo Joo. "Alright, so I guess I'll pick my second member then," he continued as he scanned the group of people in the center.

"Yah, it's my turn to pick!" Jae Kyung quickly interjected.

"We already know you're going to pick Jun Hyung," Joong Gi replied with a roll of his eyes.

Jae Kyung scoffed loudly. "Well you're wrong. I'm trying to win, so of course I'm choosing Seung Hun Oppa."

Seung Hun was beaming inside as he tried to contain a grin at being chosen over Jun Hyung; turned out his sister wasn't as smitten with Jun Hyung as he thought. However, Jun Hyung on the other hand had an obvious look of displeasure as everyone stared between him and Jae Kyung in astonishment, wondering if the two had gotten into a fight already. His narrowed eyes were shooting lasers at Jae Kyung for marring his ego so easily in front of her family. Did she think he wasn't good enough with his obviously well-toned body?

As Jae Kyung and Joong Gi continued to choose their team members, Jun Hyung was eventually placed on Jae Kyung's team as a fairly respectable third choice, though it was more out of trying to ease the discomfort she felt from Jun Hyung's daggering glare than because she really wanted him on her team.

With the teams finally settled, Joong Gi approached Jae Kyung with a smug smile. "Let's make things interesting with a bet."

Jae Kyung crossed her arms and returned a challenging stare. "What kind of bet?"

"Losing team's captain has to sleep outside in a tent."

Jae Kyung returned his smug smile. "Deal. Get ready for a night of mosquitoes and annoying cricket chirping," she taunted.

"I wouldn't count my chickens before they've hatched, little sis," he replied.

Behind Jae Kyung, Jun Hyung had a secretive smile of his own as the gears in his head started turning. He was all ready to be the bigger person and let go of this morning's unpleasant wake up call, but after denting his pride so offhandedly, his resentment had all but diminished. He wanted retribution, and what better way than to make her sleep outside while he got the bed all to himself?

The kickball game finally began, with Jae Kyung's team kicking first. Being an active family in general, the two teams did fairly well for only playing sports recreationally and the score was kept tied for the most part throughout all innings. Jun Hyung proved to be a powerful kicker, wowing the relatives at his skills and making Jae Kyung rethink her initial opinion of his athletic value. Little did she know that he would soon display a sudden 180 degrees in his abilities.

The game was now in its last inning and Jae Kyung and her team were out in the field. They were up by two points with two outs, but the bases were loaded. Joong Gi was up to kick, so if the three on the bases could make it to home, it would be an automatic win for his team. With the pressure of victory riding on his shoulders, Joong Gi stretched his legs out for the pitch made by Seung Hun. As the ball came rolling, he pulled his leg back for a swift kick that flew out into the left outfield.

Jun Hyung happened to be positioned where the ball was heading and he could hear the cries from his teammates to catch it. With his eyes locked on the approaching ball, he managed to seize it as cheers were heard from around at his feat that had won their team the victory. But seconds after the ball was in his hands, he purposefully dropped it on the ground, voiding Joong Gi's out and allowing those on the bases to continue running for home.

Jae Kyung was outraged at his clumsiness and shouted for him to throw the ball to her so that she could try to salvage the situation by at least getting one of the runners out at before it was too late. Jun Hyung however, took his time in picking up the ball before languidly throwing the ball in her direction, not even making it far enough as it continued to roll slowly on the grass. In a frenzy, she ran towards the ball and threw it towards home base, which Joong Gi was running to. However, while she had the satisfaction of getting him out and ending the game, his team had already scored enough to declare them the winners, and with hanging, she watched as her opponents crowded around each other to celebrate their victory.

She turned around to find Jun Hyung sauntering in her direction without any hint of guilt or apology on his face. "Yah! What the heck was that?! How could you drop the ball?!" she angrily shouted.

Jun Hyung shrugged his shoulders with a stoic expression. "The ball just slipped out of my hands." The corner of his lips tugged into a smirk. "So I guess you're sleeping outside then." It finally dawned on Jae Kyung that he had made her lose on purpose.

"I hope you remember how to set up the tent," Joong Gi gloated from behind as he approached the two. He placed a friendly arm around Jun Hyung. "I was afraid for a minute there that we had really lost when you caught my ball. I was thankful you dropped it though," he said with a sigh of relief. He turned his attention back to Jae Kyung with a grin. " for you little sis. You'll be sleeping outside all by yourself," he teased.

Jae Kyung crossed her arms and stared directly at Jun Hyung. "I'm not sleeping by myself because my husband said he's going to join me," she said with a small smile. She would teach Jun Hyung a lesson on what happened when she was betrayed.

Jun Hyung's own smirk quickly fell while Joong Gi turned to him with an impressed look. "Wait, did you lose on purpose? So you two could spend a night alone outside?" He lightheartedly punched Jun Hyung in the arm. "You sly dog. You just can't get enough of each other can you?" he said with a laugh before heading towards the house for dinner.

"Yah! What do you mean I'm joining you?!" Jun Hyung fired at her.

"The words just slipped out of my mouth," she answered with a shrug before following the crowd back to the house, leaving Jun Hyung gaping in disbelief. How could his plan for revenge backfire on him so easily?


Author's Note

Because I took so long to update, I included a short recap at the beginning of what happened in the previous chapter. I hope it was helpful.

The reunion isn't completely over yet, but I did end up shortening it after some thought, so some of the scenes I had planned were cut and will be saved for another time. Hopefully this update was still okay though since I hyped it up so much in my last author's note :/

February 6, 2013, 7:28 PM00