Welcome to the Family

Another Full House Story [INDEFINITE HIATUS]

After the conclusion of the ceremony, both Jun Hyung's and Jae Kyung's sides of the family gathered for a group photo to commemorate their union.

Looking around, Jun Hyung didn’t see his older brother. “Mom, where did Hyung go?” he asked Mrs. Yong.

“Uh, Jun Hyuk got a call from work and left a few minutes ago,” Mrs. Yong reluctantly explained. Jun Hyung looked down in disappointment. Of course, even his own brother’s wedding wasn’t reason enough for his Hyung to stay at least until after the pictures. He glanced over at the much larger Song family gathering around Jae Kyung and felt a tinge of envy.

After the pictures were taken, Jun Hyung and Jae Kyung headed towards the dressing rooms to change out of their attire and into something more comfortable for the plane ride to Jeju Island for their “honeymoon”. They were stopped by Jun Hyung’s friends before they could reach the changing rooms.

“It’s official, Yong Jun Hyung is actually off the market,” Yo Seob teased.

“Hi, we’re Jun Hyung’s friends,” Doo Joon cordially greeted Jae Kyung. Each went around and introduced themselves.

“It’s nice to meet you all,” Jae Kyung answered.

“You may not remember, but we’ve seen each other before,” Doo Joon pointed out. “Back then, it was pretty obvious you didn’t like our Jun Hyung. Yet, here you are now, only a month later, his bride. I hope we’ll be able to get to know you better in the future. We’re excited about getting to know our new sister-in-law and finding out what it is exactly that got Jun Hyung hooked onto you.”

Jae Kyung nervously smiled. “Y-yes. I hope to get to know you all in the future, too.”

“But, how old are you?” Dong Woon asked. “I don’t know if I’m you’re Oppa or you’re my Noona.”

“I’m 21, turning 22 this year,” she answered.

“Oh, then we're born in the same year! Let’s be friends, Jae Kyung-ah!” Dong Woon happily exclaimed as he held onto both of Jae Kyung’s hands and shook them up and down.

Jae Kyung was startled by Dong Woon’s energy but soon laughed along with him, finding his character very likeable. “Sure, let’s be friends, Dong Woon-ah.”

“Then are you going to call the rest of us Oppa?” Gi Kwang asked curiously.

“Uh…” Jae Kyung didn’t know how to tell them that she hated calling anyone besides her family and very close older guy friends “Oppa”.

“Please?” Gi Kwang continued with a pout.

Jae Kyung forced a smile and nodded. “Okay, Gi Kwang…Oppa.”

“But, what do you call Jun Hyung?” Yo Seob asked her.

“She calls me “Oppa” too,” Jun Hyung answered for her, catching on to Jae Kyung’s hesitation at using the word.

“Really? But you guys are married now, shouldn’t you say something like 'Jagiya' or 'Yeobo'?” Yo Seob teased with a sly smile.

Jun Hyung was getting irritated now. “Why are you so interested in our personal lives anyways? We’ll figure out what we call each other ourselves,” he gruffly said.

“Okay, okay,” Yo Seob answered, raising his hands in defense. “Jeez, you would think that getting married makes you a more agreeable person, but it just makes you more of a grump,” he muttered to himself.

“I have a present for you,” Hyun Seung, who had been quiet the whole time, finally interrupted. He held out an envelope which Jun Hyung took and opened. Inside was a card. He flipped it open, but as he did, a string that was attached to each end of the card was knotted into a tie. Jun Hyung's and Jae Kyung's names were written on either side of the card. [See this for what I'm trying to explain.]

"Congratulations for tying the knot!" Hyun Seung exclaimed.

Jae Kyung was amazed by the cleverness of the present and she took it from Jun Hyung. She tried closing and reopening the card, but of course, once the tie was knotted, it couldn't be undone and redone. She was a little disappointed by that. "It only works once," she pouted.

"Yeah, it's supposed to represent the strong bond of marriage. I mean, you should only tie the knot once, right?" Hyun Seung joked. Jae Kyung and Jun Hyung exchanged quick glances before they each forced a smile. "There's also a gift card in the envelope."

Jun Hyung looked in the envelope to find the gift card Hyun Seung was referring to. "CoEx Mall," he read with a stoic expression before looking at Hyun Seung. "You're giving us...a gift card...to our competitor's mall?!"

Hyun Seung lightly shrugged. "Well I couldn't give one to your mall. You already have credit there."

Jae Kyung snatched the gift card from Jun Hyung's hand. "I'll take it," she stated. She looked at Hyung Seung and grinned. "Thank you for the gift. I'll use it well."

Hyun Seung beamed at her while Jun Hyung rolled his eyes. "We have to get going now. We need to change before heading to the airport," he explained to his friends. His friends nodded in understanding.

“You two have fun on your honeymoon,” Yo Seob said with a wink before the group left the two on their own.


Jun Hyung changed quickly, but Jae Kyung took longer to get out of her dress. While he waited outside the hotel, Jae Kyung’s family approached him to give their final congratulations and a few parting words before the two headed off for their honeymoon. The first was Joong Gi.

“Welcome to the family,” Joong Gi heartily exclaimed, shaking Jun Hyung’s hand.

“Thanks,” Jun Hyung answered.

Joong Gi pulled Jun Hyung closer, putting an arm around him as he spoke lowly so only they could hear. "Jae Kyung is a really simple-minded girl,” he explained, as if trying to tell him a war strategy. “If you do something to upset her, she’ll retaliate. But she doesn’t hold grudges. So once she’s had her revenge, you’ll have a clean slate with her. That’s all the words of wisdom I can pass onto you. The rest you’ll have to learn as you two live together.”

Jun Hyung raised a brow at Joong Gi’s advice, but before he could say anything, Ji Hyo pushed Joong Gi away and shook his hand. “Congratulations on marrying my younger sister.”

“Thank you,” Jun Hyung answered.

“But just know, Jae Kyung kicks and punches in her sleep. We still haven’t figured out how to cure that habit of hers, but maybe you’ll be luckier than us, or else, you may never get a proper night’s sleep again,” she joked.

Jun Hyung stared with a blank expression at her. He wasn’t given an opportunity to react because Seung Hun came up. “Congratulations,” he said, giving Jun Hyung a very firm handshake.

“Thank you,” Jun Hyung answered with a bow towards the male who exuded a protective aura. He tried to pull his hand back, but Seung Hun held on.

“Jae Kyung is a strong girl. She always keeps a fighting stance on the outside, but inside, she’s still a vulnerable little girl. I’m glad that she’s finally found someone to be by her side. But just know, that if you hurt my little sister in any way, you’ll have the wrath of the Song family to face,” Seung Hun said with a look of warning.

Jun Hyung was again left speechless. He gulped at the thought of what the “wrath of the Song family” could entail.

Seung Hun finally let go of Jun Hyung’s hand and gave him a smile. “Good luck on your honeymoon,” he said before leaving.

Even Jae Kyung’s in-laws approached Jun Hyung as a group and gave him their congratulations.

“Jae Kyung is a really sweet girl,” Tae Hee complimented. “She may be irresponsible at times, but when it comes to what’s important, she always comes through.”

“Yes, you’ve found yourself a good one,” Soo Young agreed. “I hope you’ll take care of her well.”

“And you may not have been able to tell from the clothes that Jae Kyung usually wears, but she has a very nice body underneath. Trust me,” Hyo Joo said with a wink. “Though I’m sure you’re going to find out yourself soon enough,” she added with a laugh. Tae Hee gave her a look of disapproval while Soo Young cleared his throat and looked away.

“Uh…thanks…” Jun Hyung hesitantly answered.

After the three left, Jun Hyung felt a tug on his pants. He looked down to see Soo Han and crouched down till he was eye-level with him.

“Hyung, congratulations on marrying Noona!” Soo Han exclaimed with a smile.

Jun Hyung smiled and ruffled his hair. “Thanks, kid.”

“Since you’re family now, I’ll tell you a secret about Noona.” Soo Han leaned in to whisper something into Jun Hyung’s ear. “If you ever want Noona to do something for you, you just have to use aegyo.” Soo Han pulled back and smiled after passing on his words of wisdom to Jun Hyung.

Jun Hyung laughed lightly at his advice. He didn't expect to ever use it, Jun Hyung wasn't one to act cute, but he was still amused that Soo Han thought he was someone that could be trusted with this secret.

Mr. and Mrs. Song finally came up to Jun Hyung. He stood up and greeted them while Soo Han ran off to find his parents.

"Welcome to the family," Mr. Song proudly stated as he shook Jun Hyung's hand.

"Thank you, Abeonim, Eomeonim."

"I was a bit worried that she wouldn't be able to go through with it earlier, but you were able to calm her down and assured her throughout the whole wedding. I can see that you two have a strong connection," Mrs. Song said with a motherly smile. Jun Hyung awkwardly smiled back, his hands starting to feel a bit sweaty from nervousness.

"Our Jae Kyung," Mr. Song started, "she's still a child. She likes to play, cries, gets upset easily, and still occasionally throws tantrums," he said with a soft smile, remembering how Jae Kyung's last one was only a month ago when she had begged him and his wife to let her move out. "But even so, we think we've raised her well. She knows when to say "thank you", when to admit her wrongs, and when to not joke around. I know that customarily, the wife should take care of the husband, but I hope you'll be patient with her and take care of Jae Kyung well."

"Yes, I will," Jun Hyung answered with a bow, hoping Jae Kyung would come soon before things became even more awkward for him.


Jae Kyung had just finished changing out of her dress when she heard a knock on the door. "Come in," she called.

The door opened and Min Jae stepped in, closing the door behind him. "Hey," he softly greeted.

Jae Kyung finished putting everything away and walked towards him. "Hey," she answered.

"So you made your decision," Min Jae said. Jae Kyung nodded. "And you're sure you're okay with it?"

"It's not like I can undo this marriage now," she shrugged. Min Jae was not amused by her nonchalance. Jae Kyung rolled her eyes and sighed. "It's only for a year. I promise you, that by the end of this one year, I'll come out more mature and independent. Take note of this, Kim Min Jae. The Song Jae Kyung you see before you right now, is not the same Song Jae Kyung you're going to see 365 days from now."

Min Jae wasn't quick to believe her words. "And how can you be so sure?"

There was a pause of silence as Jae Kyung stared off into space. "I just…have this feeling."

Min Jae softly smiled at her. "Well, I'm glad you have a feeling," he teased. "I'll hold you to what you said," he said, putting an arm around her shoulder and leading her towards the door.

Jae Kyung smiled and put an arm around his waist in return. "Worse comes to worse, you'll always be there for me, right?"

Min Jae rolled his eyes. "Unfortunately," he muttered.

Jae Kyung playfully swatted him with her hand and the two best friends shared a laugh before they opened the door to exit the room. They stopped in their tracks when they were greeted by Da Hae standing in front of them. She glanced back and forth between the two, who looked close with their arms around each other.

"You haven't even been married an hour and already you're found holding another man in a closed room," Da Hae scoffed.

Jae Kyung quickly let go of Min Jae, who eventually did the same, and cleared . "Min Jae is my best friend, nothing more," she tried to explain. Da Hae simply stared back with a hard expression. "Uh, did you need something, Da Hae-ssi?" Jae Kyung nervously asked.

Da Hae crossed her arms authoritatively. "First of all, you should know better than to address me by name. I am your Hyeongnim."

[Hyeongnim: How to address husband's older brother's wife. This is what Jae Kyung calls Da Hae.]

Jae Kyung bowed her head slightly in apology. "I'm sorry, Hyeongnim."

"Second of all," Da Hae continued with a smile of condescension. "I came to congratulate you on your marriage. You are now officially part of the Yong family."

Jae Kyung meekly smiled in return. "Thank you."

Da Hae's smile vanished instantly and she stared at her with the same hard expression as before. "However, just because Abeonim and Eomeonim have accepted your marriage, it doesn't mean that they accept you. This marriage was simply for convenience, to salvage whatever remained of Jun Hyung's reputation. I hope you keep that in mind and remember your place."

Jae Kyung gaped at Da Hae's callous words. Min Jae furrowed his eyebrows in displeasure at having to hear his best friend being treated with ill will.

Da Hae resumed a fake smile. "Have fun on your honeymoon," she bade before leaving.

"What did you do to her?" Min Jae asked Jae Kyung.

Jae Kyung stared after Da Hae, stunned. "I don't know. I really don't know," she answering, shaking her head.

"Well I guess it's a good thing you're not living with her, then," Min Jae pointed out. Jae Kyung exhaled in relief at the thought of that. "But if she's your Hyeongnim, then she must be married to Jun Hyung's older brother. What's he like?"

"I actually haven't really met him yet," Jae Kyung confessed.

Min Jae raised a brow at her. "Really? Well hopefully he's more agreeable than his wife."

Mr. and Mrs. Yong approached Jae Kyung and Min Jae left her to talk with them.

"Welcome to the family," Mrs. Yong said as she took both of Jae Kyung's hands in hers and smiled at her warmly.

"Thank you, Eomeonim," she answered.

"I hope you understand what is expected of you as Jun Hyung's wife," Mr. Yong said with a stern expression. "You are now an icon of the company and as such, your actions and behavior will be judged by the public."

"Y-yes, Abeonim," Jae Kyung nervously responded. When Jun Hyung mentioned having to perform her duties as his wife in their contract, she never realized the gravity of his words. She was starting to feel the pressure already. Mr. Yong gave her one last look before he left to shake hands and speak with a nearby business investor who had attended the wedding.

"Don't worry, Jae Kyung. I can see you're a sweet and upright girl. You won't harm the company's image," Mrs. Yong assured. Jae Kyung meekly smiled. "I'm just really glad that Jun Hyung found someone like you. I know he must really love you," she stated with a soft smile. She looked down at Jae Kyung's hand where her mother's ring glistened on Jae Kyung's ring finger. She gently it. "This was Jun Hyung's grandmother's ring. She was married to Jun Hyung's grandfather for over 70 years, and I'm confident that you two will have an equally long marriage."

Jae Kyung bit her lip nervously, feeling guilty that she was deceiving her. She didn't want to imagine how Mrs. Yong would react when she heard that they would be getting a divorce after a year. With difficulty, Jae Kyung tried to keep a composed expression so as to not betray the inner turmoil she was experiencing at that moment.

Mrs. Yong looked at Jae Kyung with a gentle expression. "Many people think Jun Hyung is irresponsible and immature with all his scandals, but inside, he's really a good and caring person, and he values family above everything else." Mrs. Yong chuckled to herself. "But you already knew all that, didn't you? You told me so when I first met you."

Jae Kyung nervously laughed along with her. "Of course, Eomeonim."

"Well, you should probably get going. You have to get to the airport soon for your honeymoon. Have a safe trip…and in case you're wondering, I'm not too young to be a grandmother," she said with a wink. Jae Kyung flushed red and quickly bowed her greetings good bye before rushing off to find Jun Hyung.

She finally exited the hotel after changing and speaking with Jun Hyung's family and was flocked by her family that gave her hugs and patted her head as she made her way to Jun Hyung, who stood with her parents.

"Are you ready?" Jun Hyung asked her.

She nodded and turned to her parents, giving them a hug goodbye. Jun Hyung and Jae Kyung got into the car that would be taking them to the airport, waving goodbye to the watching audience as they drove away.

Mr. and Mrs. Song stood at a distance from everyone else as they watched the car disappear down the road.

"Don't you think, after their honeymoon, we should tell Jae Kyung the truth? We can't keep it from her forever," Mr. Song asked his wife.

"And why not? We've kept it hidden till now," Mrs. Song defensively argued.

"Honey, you know we'll have to tell her one day. She should know, as should Jun Hyung. They're married now and you know as well as I that there shouldn't be any secrets between a husband and wife."

"Jae Kyung isn't keeping secrets from Jun Hyung if she doesn't know," Mrs. Song adamantly stated.

"Why are you so against us telling her?"

"Because I don't want her to think any less of herself," Mrs. Song exclaimed with tears in her eyes. "Jae Kyung…she pretends not to show it, but she's always felt overshadowed by her older brothers and sister. She puts on a smile and laughs it off when the about being a "back sheep", but I know, inside, she's hurting. If we tell her, who knows how she'll take it. It may push her over the edge, and I will not risk seeing my baby hurt even more."

Mr. Song sighed and pulled his wife into a comforting embrace, once again dropping the subject that made Mrs. Song upset every time it was brought up.


Jun Hyung and Jae Kyung sat in their seats on their flight to Jeju Island, waiting for the plane to take off. Neither wanted to go on this honeymoon when they didn't really expect to have fun in each other's company, but it was customary for a newly-wed bride and groom to take a private trip together after their wedding. And when their parents insisted, they couldn't argue with a legitimate reason against it.

As Jae Kyung lazily browsed through a magazine, Jun Hyung stared at her, thinking about the parting advice her family had given him. He smiled to himself in amusement, thinking about each family members' words about Jae Kyung. He didn't know what to expect during this one year, contractual marriage, but one thing he was sure about. Jae Kyung would keep his otherwise pitiful life entertained.

Jae Kyung felt his lingering gaze and turned to him. "What?"

He shook his head. "Nothing...Just, what are you wearing when we get to Jeju?"

"I'm not sure. Hyo Joo Unni packed my stuff. Why?" she answered.

"No reason," he shrugged. Jun Hyung thought about Hyo Joo's words of advice. She has a very nice body underneath. Whether that was true or not, it didn't really matter. He wasn't attracted to her in that way. But it didn't keep him from wondering.


Author's Note

The more I write about it, the more I think that I'm pushing it with Jae Kyung's motives for wanting a contractual marriage…Sigh, hopefully I can make it up with her character development over time. And I thought this chapter was going to be funny, but then I actually wrote it… I think I bit off more than I could chew with the number of characters in this story and you're probably all overwhelmed with all the names you have to remember -_-

Well, next chapter will be the honeymoon. It's a chance for newlyweds to celebrate their marriage by enjoying "intimate and private" moments between each other…LOL, I guess you'll see just how "intimate" Jun Hyung and Jae Kyung actually get, knowing what their relationship is really like.

And I just have to say, whoever came up with the idea of that card that Hyun Seung gave is genius! Like seriously, it's so simple, yet it blows my mind how creative it is. Haha, but I could totally see 4D Hyun Seung coming up with a similar idea. I don't know if you've seen him with BEAST on "Weekly Idol", but he was given a white paper towel to make whatever he wants, and he makes the Red Cross symbol. He explains that it's to symbolize a mental hospital because the "Weekly Idol" set is all white, LOL! If you want to watch, here is the link, and it starts at 3:20.

If you have any suggestions / feedback / constructive criticisms / etc., please let me know :)

11/21/12 5:49 PM00