Lay (Part 5)

Histories (EDIT IN PROCESS)

Lay woke up and found a drip linked to his arm. 

What's this doing in my arm?...

He struggled a little to get up, giving up and thumping back onto his back. Luhan was startled and woke up, groggily looking around him in amazement. 

'Oh Lay, you're here...' he said hazily, slumping back down in his chair.

Lay wanted to laugh but he couldn't bring himself to. 

'Ah Lay! You're a-awake!' said Luhan, finally back to his senses. Lay simply nodded.

'How are you feeling? I mean, obviously you can't be feeling the best but... Actually, never mind. Don't answer that. You probably want some peace and quiet. Do you know how long you were out for? Of course you don't. Ah, pabo Luhan. You've been out for 3 days, how would you know how long you've been out of it? Well should I tell you? It was 3 days. 3 days! Kris and I were here along with our teacher who wants to meet you but don't worry, he's nice. He'll talk to you and we'll sort everything out'

Luhan was rambling on and on and Lay groaned. 

'Where's Kris-hyung? And what are you talking about? What teacher? I told you, there's nothing wrong at my school-'

Kris entered the room.

Oh god.

'That's bull and you know it, Zhang Yixing! Why can't you just admit to what we already know?! We changed your clothes! I saw those marks on your back already. You can't convince me that you did those yourself! I'm not an idiot!'

Luhan sank back into his seat. He didn't want to get involved in any argument. 

'And your constant injuries?! Having a new one every week?! Come on Yixing, you know you're not that clumsy. You might be a bit of an idiot but even for you, a broken arm one week and then a sprained foot the next is just a step too damn far'

Lay opened his mouth to argue back but Kris glared at him and he quickly slumped back under the covers of his bed. 

Hyung is damn scary as hell.

'Do you really think I'm that idiotic?! Really?! I'm insulted if you thought for a second I believed those poxy lies of yours!'

Lay could see Kris was starting to break down.

'Hyung... I...'

'Yah, Zhang Yixing. What have I always told you? We're friends. I care about you a lot and so does Luhan. We care about you more than anything... But, you've got to tell us if things go wrong. You can't just keep it to yourself. Friends don't just watch from the sidelines. As friends, we've got to do something about this. I just... We just can't see you like this anymore. As stupid and unmanly as this sounds... I just can't bear to see you getting hurt so badly'

Luhan got up, nodding.

'It's true, Lay. Kris has been worrying day in day out about you, trying to find a way to make you open up to us... He got ill because he was so stressed out.'

It was only then when Lay noticed the dark and ugly puffiness under Kris's eyes and that Luhan's face had become thin and gaunt. 

They've... They were really worried about me... Aish, I'm an idiot.

'I-I... I'm sorry'

Lay's voice cracked and he started to cry. 

It's one thing for a guy to cry but Lay's breakdown showed that he was finally ripping down the emotional barrier between him and his friends. He sat there and howled, drenching the sleeves of his hospital gown in salty tears and gripping the bed cover in anguish. Kris and Luhan looked at each other. Kris pointed to Lay, wondering if he should console him but Luhan shook his head and mouthed 'let him open up to us this time'. 

After a good few silent minutes, Lay choked up and stopped. Luhan saw him gulping a few times before he finally opened his mouth.

'I know I didn't want your help before but... It would mean the world to me if you could help me right now'

 

***

 

 

 

It's been a week since I've been out. I met the man both Luhan-gege and Kris-gege call their 'hero' and their 'saviour'. He's seemed to take a liking to me, something people haven't done before really. I've also met someone else Luhan and Kris stay with. His name is Xiumin and he seems pretty nice. He's the eldest so he's been taking care of me and he said he's battling a drinking problem. 

To be honest, no one has opened up to me the same way they have. Kris shared his secrets with me on the plane when I met him and learning about Luhan's damaged dream to sing makes me realise how much I had in my previous life in China. If I could give that fame of mine to someone, I'd give it to Luhan-gege because he's always looking out for me, despite never getting anything out from it. 

I suppose that's what true friendship is. 

True friendship isn't leaving them when they need you.

When the fire is blazing and you're choking and spluttering and your eyes are watering from the heat.

Friendship isn't running away.

Friendship is being strong together.

And together with Kris and Luhan and Xiumin and everyone else I meet, I'll be strong.

I'll have the courage to walk on my own two feet again because I have them supporting me. 

Even if it takes 100 years, I'll get there. 

I'll get there with them by my side.

 

 


crappy author has written such a crappy ending. 

but I hope you'll take a lesson away with this: you can't do anything without friends. 

I had the help of a few close friends to lift me out of dark and scary times and without those friends, I feel like I might not even be here. Friends show that there's always someone that loves you and is willing to help you when you need it SO make a new friend, catch up with an old one, treat your best friend- make them know you care. 

They'll always be there for you if you're there for them.