Kris

Histories (EDIT IN PROCESS)

 

'You open this door right now, Kris Wu Fan! Right now!'

Do you hear that? That's my mother... And she's currently banging on my door yelling for me to come out and join in with the 'family discussion'. I bet I seem like an awful son to you at the moment, disobeying my parents and refusing to come out of my room but hear me out. They want me to marry this girl as an arranged marriage. I mean, excuse me, but we're living in Canada and we're in the 21st century so why the hell do arranged marriages stil exist? Honestly, my mother is in for a big fight if she thinks I'm going to go ahead with this. I don't even know the girl for crying out loud. 

'Wu Fan! You had best open this door, right now!'

Oh holy smokes. Now my dad is involved. This is where it all gets iffy. This is where I have to go out and say I'm sorry for being such an awful son. This is where I agree to do what my parents ask. This is where I want to throw up and regurgitate that posh dinner I just ate courtesy of my parents wanting to impress that girl's parents. This is where I- Hang on. Is that my door opening?

'Kris. Come out now. We're discussing important plans for you'

For God's sake. Honestly. Why does my dad have to have spare keys for every door in this house? I know I'm only in my teenage years but seriously, a kid's gotta have some privacy, right? We're not living in rural China where it's normal to have so many kids because of high infant mortality rates and the need for helpers on the farmland. We're in Canada. We don't need help for the farm because we don't own a farm. And a kid shouldn't be getting married at this age. They should be out having fun and living in freedom at least until University time. That's why we've got so many underage moms who are pregnant at age 14. It's because they marry early. Now my parents want me to do the same. Lord have mercy on my weakened soul. 

 

***

 

So it's been a week since that fiasco which had my mum begging me to come out of my room and my dad dragging me out by the ear to come out of my room and guess what I have planned for today? My engagement party. Woop de doo. I am just so utterly thrilled.. Honestly, I don't know where my parents got this idea of an arranged marriage from. Do people in Canada have arranged marriages when they're so young?

Whatever, none of that matters. All that matters is that I've got my ticket out of this mess, literally. Some of the guys from school found out about me getting hitched and asked why they weren't invited. I asked them where they were living and when they told me China, it just hit me like a kick in the nuts. Why hadn't I thought of this before? 

So yep, I'm here in Canada still but I'm not at home where I'm supposed to be getting myself glammed up for this shabang. I'm at Gate 15 for the flight to Beijing. Before you go pointing fingers at me, can I just say that I did leave a note for my parents apologising for doing this. I haven't told them that I've gone to China but I have a feeling they'll guess either China or Hong Kong since I can speak the languages I'll need. I'll be staying with David and Joe.

David's a laugh to say the least. He's my senior from the school basketball team and he went to study traditional Chinese medicine in university last year only to have dropped it to start up his very own photography business. He brings home a hot model almost every night according to Joe. Joe is a few years older than me too but he's younger than David. He's going to Beijing for his first year of uni. I think he wants to read History but who knows, it seems he's also keen to work with David so that he can hang out with the long-legged and pretty faced models too. 

'Passengers for the flight to Beijing, please proceed to board'

Well, there it is. My final call. Au revoir Canada. Hasta la Vista parents. Live long and well, girl-I-was-supposed-to-marry-whose-name-I-don't-even-know. Find someone you really love. Find someone who will treat you a whole lot better than I would. Run free whilst you can.

 

***

 

Joe was right. David really does get the girls. I'm not surprised though, he's a good-looking guy with talent and money. Joe's just a first year university student but when he finishes his degree, he'll be a fully fledged lawyer and he'll be rolling around in the big bucks. I, however, am a runaway. I went along with David to a shoot today for Vogue China and the modelling agency there has given me a card. It's still tucked away in my back jeans pocket. David said to go for it and sign on. He told me I should sign as a free-lance model so that I can pick and choose which assignments to do and he said he'd be willing to do my portfolio for free. It's kind of him but I'm still a bit unsure to say the least. I mean, modelling? At my age? I'm still a kid. I'm not finishing high school for a few years so getting a job... It just seems wrong. 

I have my morals. Education first, fun second. I know, it's awful that I ran away from home. I can already see my parents flying over here to China and bringing my sorry back to Canada to begin with marriage arrangements. 'It's all for your benefit, son' says my mum. Benefit, my . She just wants good-looking grandchildren, and fast. You'd think that my parents wouldn't want me getting involved with girls, right? Being Asian and all. But no. Surprisingly, they welcome it. 

Don't assume things. I'm no addict or whatever. I haven't gotten any girls pregnant nor have I ever done anything to hurt a girl. I'm not a demanding guy unlike how my friends assume. I'd never force it upon a girl, ever. People who do that are the worst. Guys who say they just couldn't control themselves are monsters. I don't know what I'd do if a guy ever tried anything on a friend who I was close with. Not that that'd ever happen anyway, I'm not close with many girls and especially not now that I'm the new kid in town. 

But hey, that's my dilemma. I need to make a living out of something, don't I? I may be a kid but I know that at least. I can't enrol in a school because legally, I have no guardian here or right of abode. It's a bit of a mess, isn't it? I'm a bit of a mess, aren't I?

 

***

 

Good morning world. It's 5AM in the morning and I'm in a dressing room getting my hair curled. Yeah, hideous isn't it? A man getting his hair curled. Honestly, the fashion world is the ideal world for women and gay men. No offence. I just can't see any typical 'man-power' macho man enjoying having his hair done and his nails manicured. It's a weird sensation being here. 

'Kevin Li! You ready?'

That was the director of this shoot and yes, I'm currently using a fake name so shh. Kris Wu Fan does not exist in China. I'm trying my hardest not to be noticed by my parents. Today's shoot is for a magazine. The name escapes me. My young mind has grown up since leaving Canada but my brain is still like a sieve. Information goes in and then pours back out through the holes again. 

I'm only a minor role in this but I'll be getting quite a large sum of money for it which is a bonus. My feet ache though and writing this is making my hands hurt. Never been much of a writing person, I've always liked doing things instead. My best lesson at school was Physical Education. I don't know what possessed me to buy this notebook at the airport. It just seemed like a nice thing to buy as my last token of appreciation to Canada, my home and birthplace. 

I've been thinking about this for a while. Do I hate my parents? I mean, they tried to get me to marry a complete stranger without giving me any reason or time to consider but... They're the people who brought me into the world. They taught me my manners, brought me up to be a good son (minus the running away of course, reading action novels taught me that) and they're the only ones in the world biologically programmed to love me. Of course, I can immerse myself in work and throw myself into a ton of different relationships and friendship groups but I don't think I'll ever be able to find such a parently love again. 

'Kevin! On set! Please!'

Ah, better get going. 

'Yo Kris! Get yo down there, man!'

That's David. Righty, better get cracking. Wouldn't want to anger the guy I live with. He might take a photo of me sleeping half and blackmail me for the rest of my sad and sorry life.

 

***

 

It's over. I got an email from my cousin saying my parents were coming to Beijing. It seems like the magazine I did a shoot for was Cosmopolitain? David told me it's a very popular and well known magazine. I think I remember it being on sale in America when I went to visit my grandma last year. But yeah, my parents are coming to hunt me down. I reckon my mother saw the shoot on the internet or something and seeing me in the magazine probably would have given her a heart attack but now she knows where I'm based. According to my cousin, she called up my agency to ask where they were based and as soon as they said Beijing, she was on it like a rocket booking 2 return tickets over here. 

I owe my cousin. A lot. God, I love her. She's a cool girl. She's my age and probably one of my closest friends. She objected to my marriage with the stranger. We always see eye to eye and it's a breath of fresh air when you find someone in your suffocating familly who shares the same opinions and mind set as yourself. I also owe David a lot. I've told him about my mom coming to get me and bring me home and he's been wracking his brains all weekend thinking of a solution. A way out. He hasn't been able to come up with anything lately and I'm running out of time. I need a miracle. 

 

***

 

A miracle has been bestowed upon me by a Korean lady working as a stylist for one of the shoots I was at today. She spoke to me in detail about education and seemed shocked that I'm not yet a university student. I'm supposed to be in compulsory education. I think she thought I was one of those drop out kids with no aims in life. I put her straight though, telling her I needed to get out of China and why I left Canada in the first place. She looked at me with stone cold steely eyes. 

'Do you really want to get out of here and go to school?'

I nodded until my head almost fell off. I want more than anything to just escape this modelling world and marriage and running away business and just settle down and attend school and joke and laugh about like any other normal teenager. I don;t want this fast-track life. It might be right for David or even Joe but it's certainly not right for me. I want to continue my education further, become more intellectual and become a better and more eloquent speaker. 

She made a call to Korea that night and the next morning, as we had our coffee break in Starbucks, she revealed what she had done. The stylist-jie (Jie Jie is used for older sisters in Chinese. It's the same as noona and unnie) had arranged for me to be taken care of by a man I only know as Mr Park. I admit, I'm suspicious. I'm not sure if he's safe or whatever but according to the stylist, he's an old old old school friend of hers known for being a good samaritain and he's the head teacher of a school in Seoul and the founder of the conjoining university. I mean, if that's not caring enough for you guys, then you must be saints yourselves. 

She did say however, that I can only live in Korea under one condition- I have to help look after those that are also under Mr Park's care too. It's not much really considering how much he is offering to me. He's offered accomodation, help paying for food, education, warmth and I guess... a sense of a family. My own family didn't care enough about the things that mattered to me and my opinions and it seems like this Mr Park is the fatherly figure I'm craving for. 

And so it's been decided. Tomorrow, my mom is due to arrive and tonight, I fly to Seoul unnoticed. Kevin Li, gone. Left the country. Kris Wu Fan? Well, he was never here. Never set foot in China. Never set foot on a plane. I'll meet my new life saver, Mr Park, at the airport where he will take me to the school dormitory to live with whoever else he decides to pick up and raise as his own. It's scary and tricky and risky, not to mention my Korean skills are not up to standard yet but it's a new life and I guess I can say I'm excited for what the future holds for me. 

 

 


Hiya everyone, I'm back with an update teehee ^^ Wow. Writing this was hard. I'm not used to writing in people's POV's, I like 2nd Person more but whilst I was planning how to do these oneshots, I figured that some of them would be better written from the characters point of view. A few of them will be 3rd person though ^^ Did you like this style? I felt slightly out of my comfort zone with this, not gonna lie but hopefully I'll get better as the oneshots go on :) But hey, do I make a very convincing Kris? ;D 

I read your comments and a few people said they'd like to hear Daehyun and Jun Sook's history/ background stories. Would you guys like that? I never gave Daehyun any depth as a character so I suppose I could weave something and as for Jun Sook, it might be interesting to see what his point of view on his relationship with Jiyoung was like... Tell me what you think :) I'm also glad that you guys are looking forward to reading the mute girl's story. Admittedly, that's the one I'm most excited to write :D

So guys, leave a comment and subscribe! <3