Tao

Histories (EDIT IN PROCESS)

'I have to go now mom. I'm about to get on the flight'

'Good luck dear. You'll do brilliantly, my son. I'm proud of you.'

Tao ended the call. It had been 3 long years since he had seen her after he moved away to train in wushu and martial arts. 

'Huang Zi Tao? You're up next'

Tao's wushu master pushed him slightly and Tao lifted up his suitcase with ease placing on the check-in scales. 

 

'Name?' asked the stewardess

'Huang Zi Tao'

'Where are you going to?'

'South Korea'

'Holiday?'

He shook his head.

'Wushu competition'

The stewardess raised her eyebrows slightly but smiled and handed him back his passport.

'Here's your ticket and passport, Mr Huang. Have fun in Korea and good luck!'

Tao nodded and said thank you before picking up his rucksack and slinging it over his shoulder, ready to enter through the security checks.

 

***

 

Tao was running. 

A teammate of his had gotten into a fight with a passerby on the street when he had tutted at him for smoking. 

So now Tao was running- but he didn't know the streets of Seoul.

The winding masses of corners and streetlamps and electricity pylons. 

The words in characters that looked like mere lines and circles. 

Nothing looked familiar. 

He turned around now and then to see someone still chasing after him.

He turned an abrupt right and hid in a dark alley, watching the guy chasing him run past and yell in Korean. 

'Aish!'

Tao crouched down, trying to hide his tall build behind the smelly bins he had nestled himself into. 

Don't find me. Don't find me. Don't find me.

Tao clutched his bag to himself tighter. 

If they find me, at least I can wushu their . 

After what seemed like hours, Tao checked his phone. 

Battery dead. Great.

He didn't know where he was and it was getting dark. 

What was the arena called? Maybe I can get a taxi there. Coach must be looking for me. 

He hailed a taxi and managed to speak in broken English and little Korean to get the driver to understand. 

'The sports arena? Wushu competition?'

Tao nodded. 

'Kamsahamnida'

 

***

 

When he arrived, it was late. In fact, the competition was over. The arena was shut and the lights inside were all off. 

'N-No way... This cannot be happening!' he yelled.

Tao screamed and ran away, wanting to tear his hair out and unsee what he had seen. 

His dream. 

3 years of training and being without his family.

3 years of blood, sweat and tears. 

And for what?

For nothing.

To miss the competition. 

He ran, looking for some place to sit and think about what to do. 

He had a cash card so he could buy his flight back home but he had no internet and no phone. 

He went into a convenience store and bought a hot chocolate with the little loose change he had left before following the warm glow of the street lights, hoping to find some sort of escape from the mess he was in. 

 

***

 

At a clearing, Tao found a playground. He was exhausted from walking and collapsed beneath the tree. 

He took out a sweater from his case and wrapped himself in it. 

He shivered.

3 years of training and he hadn't eaten a proper home cooked meal. 

He craved one.

Lusted for one.

Would kill for one.

Mom, I'm sorry I've failed you. I'll find a way to-

Tao's thoughts were put on hold. He heard someone yelling. 

'Lay! Hey! Lay, where the heck are you?! Luhan! Have you found him?!'

He was on the phone with somone. 

'Luhan?! Have you found him?!... Aish, where is that guy?'

The wind blew and Tao huddled up to protect himself from the harsh cold.

'You found him? Thank God... Is he okay?'

Tao heard a voice on the other end of the line. The boy didn't see Tao's feet and tripped up.

'Woah! Ouch... Yeah I'm fine Luhan-'

He turned to look at Tao who was crying. He had never seen someone so scared and small.

'I'll see you back at the dorm... Yeah... Araso'

He clicked his phone shut. 

 

'Are you okay?' he asked, in Korean.

Tao stared at him. He didn't know what he was saying.

'Do you speak Korean?' he asked again.

Tao did nothing.

'Do you speak English?' he said, this time in English.

Tao's face crumpled and he began to cry. 

How do I tell this boy-

'Are you Chinese?' he asked

Tao gasped and looked straight into the eyes of the boy. He nodded.

The boy crouched down and held out his hand. 

'My name is Kris. What's your name? Why are you out here alone?'

'I'm Tao. I came to Korea for a wushu competition but I got split up from my team. I don't think I can go back to my school now'

Kris nodded.

'I know this is sudden, but would you like to stay at my home for tonight? You look really tired and hungry'

Tao's stomach growled on cue and Kris laughed. 

'Here, let me help you up'

Tao stood up and Kris took his case. 

'There's nothing to be scared of. There are other Chinese guys that I live with and they're all very friendly'

'Th-That's good'

'What would you like to eat? Take out or home-made?'

Tao was astonished by Kris' manners. Not only did he crave home-made food but he also knew that Kris was a student and students have little money. It was already kind of him to offer to use some of that money to buy him dinner.

'C-Can I have home-made food?'

'Of course! What do you like? I'll call Xiu Min to start cooking the rice, sound good?'

Tao nodded.

'I-Is is really okay to stay with you, K-Kris?'

 Kris noticed that Tao was shivering and looked skinny. He took off his jacket and placed it on Tao's shoulders without saying a word. He was texting someone on his phone. Tao kept quiet.

 

Xiu Min-hyung! I hope Lay and Luhan are back. I've got a request.

Can you start cooking some rice? I've found a boy from China 

and he looks like he hasn't been fed in days. I'll get some vegetables 

and things from Park Sunsengnim on my way in to cook too. Sorry

about all this. I hope you don't mind. 

p.s turn up the heat and prepare a bed, he looks like he's going to collapse soon.

 

I've started cooking the rice, hope you and this boy are hungry. The L's are 

back so don't worry. I've sent Luhan out to Park Sunsengnim's for you.

Just bring back the boy and Park Sunsengnim will come over in the

morning. Come back soon, okay?

 

'K-Kris... Is it really okay if I stay with you and your friends?' Tao repeated.

Kris turned to look at him.

'Tao, call me gege or hyung... We're family now so of course you can stay with us. We'll help you learn Korean and you can live with us from now on if you want to. You're safe now'

Tao smiled for the first time in years. 

Kris-gege. Safe. Family. Those are nice words.

 


This is late, I know. I just didn't have the heart to write. 

But now I'm on form and Lay's story is next. 

Oh my good lord, I am excited to write Lay's one. Please look forward to it. As a little warning, I tell you know: I am going to try and make it as tearjerking and heartrending as possible. I want all my readers to drown in their tears teehee ^^