20

The Puppeteer

 

Just when I had convinced myself that Jaehwa wouldn’t come back she showed up in my apartment. Yongguk had gone to work before I had woken up – I was nearly positive he had snuck the sleep poisons in with my other poisons – and after sitting in bed and pouting for over an hour I decided to it up and get up. Yongguk didn’t want me sitting in bed all day anymore. He said it was bad for my back. I didn’t see why how it would make any difference because I just curled up on the couch the same way I would the bed. However, when I tried to move to the couch Jaehwa was sitting in my usual spot.

“Hi, Himchannie.” She crossed her arms over her chest, clearly not happy to see me and obviously teasing me about the way Yongguk called me. That was okay though, I wasn’t happy to see her either. “I see you followed directions like you were a good boy. I bet your boyfriend was happy about that.”

I nodded my head even though I knew she didn’t really care. “Yeah. Are you just here to check up on me?”

She sneered. “Of course not. I don’t care what you do. I’m here because I have to be.” She motioned towards Yongguk’s chair. I never sat there but I was afraid to disobey the woman sitting in my living room. I eased myself into the chair, not taking my eyes off of Jaehwa once. She wasn’t to be trusted. “I told you that your boyfriend’s office was involved in something that we needed to look into last time I was here.” I nodded my head, I remembered that. “I also told you that I would tell you if we needed your services.”

“I don’t really know what kind of services I can offer you…”

“I don’t really care what you think. Just keep your mouth shut do as you’re told. They told me you were smart before your boyfriend drugged you up, I can’t really see it.”  She grabbed a newspaper from the coffee table and threw it at me. She must have brought it with her because Yongguk and I didn’t buy the newspaper. “Look at the newspaper every day until I tell you otherwise Channie, okay? If there’s anything of value you’ll know it.” She stood up before I had a chance to respond and walked out of the apartment.

After being insulted by her I wasn’t in the mood to do anything she told me to do so I moved the couch and dropped the newspaper to the floor. There was probably nothing in it anyway, even if there was she hadn’t exactly given me any hints as to what I was meant to look for. It wasn’t like she would know I had defied her.

 

I woke up to an annoying shaking sensation and a voice calling my name. I recognised the voice from somewhere by my brain didn’t want to connect it to anyone. It just wanted me to go back to sleep. “Himchan.” The voice was so persistent. It didn’t belong in my apartment. I tried to bat at it but my hand didn’t make contact with anything. “Himchan, wake up. It’s Chief Jang.” That was Yongguk’s boss’s name. I knew him. He was nice to me when I stayed up at the police station.

I whined softly as I opened one of my eyes. The man sitting in front of me was exactly who I thought he was. He was taller than Yongguk and I and about twice our age. He reminded me of my doctor, but he was significantly nicer so I forgave him for looking like that horrible man. “Why are you at my apartment?”

He helped me up into a seated position, smiling at me faintly when I reached up to rub the sleep from my eyes. “Yongguk asked me to come by and check on you, he said he forgot to put your medicine out and he wanted to make sure you got it.” He mussed up my hair, making me feel like a small child. Yongguk said that his daughter was like me so he had always been incredibly helpful when it came to my condition. “You can go back to sleep after you take it, alright?”

I nodded my head, not paying any attention to what he was giving me. He was a good person and Yongguk had sent him. I took my medications, barely managing to keep my eyes open as I waited for his permission for me to go back to sleep. “Thank you…” I mumbled, slumping forward slightly.

“It’s not problem.” He sat me up again and held onto me so I couldn’t fall to the side. “I have to tell you something.”  The words weren’t quite sinking in but I nodded my head anyway. I felt so sleepy. I tried to ask him if he had given me the wrong poisons but my mouth felt like I was eating cotton. “We have to go the hospital, alright Himchan?” He got up from the couch, holding his hands out to me like he wanted me to grab them. I didn’t want to do that though. “Yongguk is in the hospital, Himchan. I’m going to take you to go see him. He got hurt, okay?”

“Who hurt Gukkie?” I tried to stand up to go with him but my legs didn’t want to work. He had definitely given me the wrong poison. “What happened to him?”

He sighed, and I assumed he realised he had given me the sleep poisons on accident. After a few seconds he bent down to grab me and pulled me to my feet. “We’re not sure who it was yet. From what I understand it was a woman though.”

I whimpered softly. I hadn’t expected her to hurt Yongguk because of my disobedience. She had no way of knowing that I wasn’t ever going to do what she told me to do. It had only been a few hours.

A few tears escaped from my eyes before I even realised they were building up and Yongguk’s boss reached over to wipe them off of my cheeks. “He’s going to be alright, Himchan-ah. I promise.” I hadn’t known that she would hurt Yongguk if I didn’t do ask I was told. I never would have defied her if I’d known. “He’s going to be a little sore for a little while but he’ll be okay.”

I nodded my head and neither of us spoke as he drove me to the hospital. He still hadn’t told me what was wrong with Yongguk and my brain wasn’t allowing me to think about it at all. I could only listen to the sounds of the most recent music and try to stay awake. I wanted to see Yongguk.

When we arrived at the hospital Yongguk’s boss put me in one of the uncomfortable blue waiting chairs and sat down next to me. I looked around the room, noting that it was strangely empty. There were a couple of children playing blocks in the corner, a few people scattered throughout the large room, and then three detectives from Yongguk’s department but otherwise the large room was empty.

I recognised the mean detective but was putting too much energy into staying awake to do anything about it. I didn’t want him anywhere near me but there was nothing I could do. “What’s wrong with him?” He stuck a thumb in my direction, speaking as though my very presence disgusted him. He was the disgusting one though. He was the monster. “His boyfriend is in surgery and he’s just sitting there like an invalid.”

I fell forward slightly but one of the other detectives grabbed me before I could hit the floor. God, I was so sleepy. I needed to see Yongguk though. Yongguk was hurt and I needed to stay awake so I could see him. “He’s sedated.” Yongguk’s boss sounded like a leader. That was a nice quality. He had a strong voice. “It wouldn’t do anyone any good if he was freaking out. Leave him be.”

I was lifted out of my seat – apparently someone hadn’t heard their boss’s order – and moved to the floor. I tried to whine about how gross it was but before I could I realised that I had been placed on the blanket. I looked up at the person that had put me there but I didn’t know him. His face was familiar but only as someone that worked with Yongguk. He seemed nice. “You should go to sleep.” He told me in a quiet voice. “I promise we’ll wake you up when Boss gets out of surgery, alright?”

_________

I've been multiday kidnapped by my parents. I'm on for a little while but I wanted to update~ This was an eventful chapter I think so hopefully you enjoyed it.
Byebye see you Tuesday~~~

Leave me comments?