Chapter 9

Seoul, Saranghae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jonghun-ssi," Haeyoung greeted her mentor as she entered the studio that morning, "I hope you weren't waiting long."

 

"Haeyoung-ssi, good morning," he smiled in return, "Don't worry, my manager mentioned you had a meeting to attend."

 

"I never realized how much work went into debuting an idol group," Haeyoung sighed as she took off her jacket, placing it over the back of a chair with her bag.

 

"Are you starting recording soon?" Jonghun asked, and Haeyoung nodded.

 

"Since we'll just be releasing a single for now, we don't have to worry about finalizing which songs will be included in the first EP," she explained, "They've been in discussion with the director for our music video too."

 

"Ah, I see," Jonghun nodded as they settled into practice for that morning.

 

Jonghun was aware of how formal they were with each other, but it didn't bother him. Haeyoung was naturally a polite and slightly reserved girl, and had proven to Jonghun to be diligent and insightful when it came to taking care of her group. FNC had certainly been right in giving her the position of leader. As colleagues and fellow musicians, Jonghun felt that this level of respect between them would be beneficial for their teamwork and cooperation. And so far, at least compared to the other mentor-mentee partners, it seemed to be working out.

 

A more questionable example of this teamwork was in the midst of working itself out as Hongki and Yoonhee entered their vocal practice room that morning. Hongki had promised both Jonghun and himself to try harder, though his mind was still wavering as he attempted to give Yoonhee a chance to prove his prejudice wrong.

 

Yoonhee was an ideal student, courteous and patient and serious about self improvement. Even with all the trouble Hongki had been giving her about her singing, she would keep trying and pushing herself with a determined smile. That morning, she went through UC Love's title song once again to warm up, and Hongki didn't seem to have much criticism to give.

 

"Sunbaenim, I've been improving a lot, right?" Yoonhee asked, making sure to be polite.

 

Hongki looked at her for a moment, then nodded curtly. "You have a lot of preparations left before the showcase, but at least you've been taking my advice."

 

"Of course," Yoonhee smiled, "With how talented of a singer you are, I take all of your criticism seriously. You're a teacher I can learn a lot from."

 

Hongki eyed her, "Are you being sarcastic with me?"

 

Yoonhee laughed and shook her head. "No, you're really someone that I look up to as a singer. I get the feeling that you don't really like me, but whatever your reason is, I hope to put it behind us so that we can work well together," she said sincerely, then hesitated, "Actually, I wanted to ask you something today."

 

Hongki glanced at her, but kept his mouth shut. Just give her a chance; give her a chance...

 

"I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a duet with me for my showcase stage," Yoonhee smiled as she pulled out a few sheets of music from her bag for a song that was meant for two voices, "I brought a copy of the song for you to look over, so please think about it."

 

Hongki was surprised at the sudden request, but also skeptical. Being around her friendly personality all the time only made him more conflicted about what he should do. He took the sheet music in his hand, but didn't say anything. Yoonhee didn't expect him to answer right away anyways, so the duet wasn't mentioned again for the rest of practice.

 

Meanwhile, Minhwan decided to forget all about the troubles that he had had with Miyoung previously and instead to start things off on a clean slate.

 

"How about you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter